***Official Heart of Midlothian v Celtic Scottish Cup Final 2020 thread***

Swanny17

Not read the whole thread and not sure if this has been brought up. But did SFA clearly breech the rules and give Celtic the upper hand. Taken from rules for this game on Wikipedia. 3 substitutes in normal time and 2 in extra time. Eh?? WTF!! Am I the only one that’s noticed this? Been ****ed by SFA yet again. 💩

9D479259-36FB-4D9D-9971-174783DC6360.png

E114196E-F0F1-444C-A5E0-0FCE27C506FB.png

C83652CE-7BE5-487A-AB4A-D8FCADCD4DA2.png

FBB2BF13-E653-4F58-94AB-21913C604EB2.png

B241FC63-4C99-4693-A5EC-18B1C2C583F6.png

10FF1E53-7183-4003-AB18-BCB7782F2602.jpeg

Edited by Aussie Jambo

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• Gorgie Boot boy

• Bazzas right boot

• kila

11 minutes ago, Aussie Jambo said:

Not read the whole thread and not sure if this has been brought up. But did SFA clearly breech the rules and give Celtic the upper hand. Taken from rules for this game on Wikipedia. 3 substitutes in normal time and 2 in extra time. Eh?? WTF!! Am I the only one that’s noticed this? Been ****ed by SFA yet again. 💩

Whilst i would love it if they had broken the rules, it would bring us down to there level if we complained.  

8 minutes ago, Aussie Jambo said:

Nah, the pandemic has ensured the authorities have invented new rules to facilitate Celtic's synthetic dominance of the Scottish game; a league title, various breaches of protocol and the old classic of ignoring red card offences on the pitch. 3 subs allowed last season, 5 this season +1 in extra time.

It's all good though, they've blown 10*iar and that will hurt them, a lot.

4 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

I've rarely known a player so infatuated over

I thought he was very good today. Thought his movement and hold up play was causing them problems in the 2nd half. Would have been interesting to see what happened in the last 20 if he stayed on. 

55 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Yes it was very disappointing. Sickening even, after seeing the prize and letting it go.

But we did something that the media and Celtic fans didn’t think was going to happen. We rattled them to the point that they thought they might lose. 
With a bit of luck, we would have won it before the penalties.

As an example, at the end of the 90 minutes, we should have had a free kick for a foul at the corner flag. Right next to the linesman but he gave us a throw in instead. A cross into their box could have produced a last chance for us, given how poor they are defending set pieces.

Lennon staying on will cost them the 9.75 in a row. 

Yeh I was going ballistic at the linesman there!

1 minute ago, Ari Gold said:

I thought he was very good today. Thought his movement and hold up play was causing them problems in the 2nd half. Would have been interesting to see what happened in the last 20 if he stayed on. 

I agree. He is a very decent player. I'm just not in the mood for looking for issues beyond the cup loss a few hours after its happened

Had to double check and I was right. Taken from SFA website. 

14. NUMBER OF PLAYERS AND SUBSTITUTES
Except for the circumstances described within Rule 22(a) relating to extra time being played in any match, a team shall consist of 11 starting players and up to a maximum of 7 named substitutes, of whom not more than three may be used at any time during the match, save that in the event that extra time is played in any match, a team may use four substitutes in total, provided that the fourth substitute shall only be used during the period of extra time. The team list must include two designated goalkeepers, one of whom must be named as a substitute.
The players in a team may be changed from match to match, but a club may not play, or list as a named substitute, any player who, in the same season, has already played (as one of the 11 starting players or as a fielded substitute), for another club in the Competitioncup-competition-rules.pdf

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

Just home. Bawled my eyes out. Hard one to take.

Still sitting here depressed. Off to bed now but don’t think I’ll get much sleep!

Pasquale for King

Beaton apologising to the Celtic players pointing to his watch it’s a goal, after three officials miss it going over the line and it being slapped away by Christie. 

That was a sore one today, but a massive improvement on last years final in terms of bouncing back when things went against us. If this team sticks  together  we'll  win a trophy for sure.  Sign a few of the players  running out of contract again with a few more and we can really do something.

18 minutes ago, Rods said:

Boyce looked injured when he came off which is a worry. 

He definitely took a knock

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Beaton apologising to the Celtic players pointing to his watch it’s a goal, after three officials miss it going over the line and it being slapped away by Christie. 

The goal line official stood there like a Taylor’s dummy - no way was he giving it!!

7 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

I agree. He is a very decent player. I'm just not in the mood for looking for issues beyond the cup loss a few hours after its happened

Edited by Ari Gold
I misread your reply!

59 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Yes it was very disappointing. Sickening even, after seeing the prize and letting it go.

But we did something that the media and Celtic fans didn’t think was going to happen. We rattled them to the point that they thought they might lose. 
With a bit of luck, we would have won it before the penalties.

As an example, at the end of the 90 minutes, we should have had a free kick for a foul at the corner flag. Right next to the linesman but he gave us a throw in instead. A cross into their box could have produced a last chance for us, given how poor they are defending set pieces.

Lennon staying on will cost them the 9.75 in a row. 

Yep,one of those rub your eyes moments ad Ginnelly seemed to be thumped in the back though  saw no repeat (of course).

I thought the late free kick In ET where Hallett just couldn't get a connection was unlucky. 

Of course, if Ginelly had rolled the ball to SN around 88 mins we seemed to have a number of advanced players. Talk about wrong options.

So close today. Frustrating

4 minutes ago, Aussie Jambo said:

Except for the circumstances described within Rule 22(a) relating to extra time being played in any match, a team shall consist of 11 starting players and up to a maximum of 7 named substitutes, of whom not more than three may be used at any time during the match, save that in the event that extra time is played in any match, a team may use four substitutes in total, provided that the fourth substitute shall only be used during the period of extra time. The team list must include two designated goalkeepers, one of whom must be named as a substitute.
The players in a team may be changed from match to match, but a club may not play, or list as a named substitute, any player who, in the same season, has already played (as one of the 11 starting players or as a fielded substitute), for another club in the Competitioncup-competition-rules.pdf

I've had a look online and the rules were definitely changed to 5 subs to finish the 19/20 competition. I can't see any confirmation that the Scottish cup allows a 6th in extra time though. 

2 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

What were you expecting to being discussed on here? 

Not potential injury scares? It's like trying to make folk feel even worse

Just now, Riccarton3 said:

Not potential injury scares? It's like trying to make folk feel even worse

Yeah, i misread your initial reply. Apologies. 

The mentality for winning is almost there, sometimes a team needs to lose a couple before they learn how to win. JJ's team in 98 was the epitamy of that.

Edited by gavvy

6 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

He definitely took a knock

I cani mind who he tackled but he came of worse, tried to walk away pretending he was alright but he got hurt, I’m sure it stemmed from that Shomato.

Pasquale for King
19 minutes ago, Aussie Jambo said:

It’s been covered already before the semi and again tonight. It was updated to 5 subs and 1 in ET, we had 9 subs today. The only competition in Scotland that has 3 subs is the Championship this season. The BBC still don’t know that though. 

456B67CA-6F97-48CF-B414-7465846D4A74.jpeg

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

I've had a look online and the rules were definitely changed to 5 subs to finish the 19/20 competition. I can't see any confirmation that the Scottish cup allows a 6th in extra time though. 

The extra sub isn’t a new rule so it wasn’t part of the changes apparently. 

Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

The goal line official stood there like a Taylor’s dummy - no way was he giving it!!

He’s looking right at it, shocking really. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
6 hours ago, henryheart said:

When it comes to penalties, forcing the goalkeeper to make a save is what matters. Both misses were on target and if the goalkeeper had guessed wrong then Kingsley and Wighton would be heroes. For the Edouard's penalty if Craig Gordon had stood upright and saved it (like Bobby did for St Mirren when on loan against Celtic) everyone would be saying "that was a terrible penalty, why did he hit it down the middle?" rather than "what a great penalty!"  

I knew Edouarde would go down the middle and I knew Ajer would.

Edouarde because he knows Gordon and odds were that Gordon knows the Edouarde rarely take a pen down the middle. Edouarde won that mind game - I liked (but was surprised) by Gordon’s reaction to that getting booked. Craig hurt today badly.

But I think we basically proved today we can give anyone in Scotland a game and get a result - other than Rangers. And. It many can at the moment.

Anyone moaning about the first half must also accept and recognise that we actually could and should have won the game in the second 45 - possibly by 2 goals.

Anyway, it’s a sore one for me personally. Any cup final where we probably should have won  is going to hurts.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

One thing that summed the state of refereeing up was that not only were the ref, linesman and the behind goals guy not going to give us Kingsley’s goal they weren’t going to give the handball.

Also, anyone moaning about football technology needs to have a second think about that now.

I've not been on here today but I hope no one is complaining. That was a pretty good performance by ourselves and we should have won the game tbh. 

I still think our team needs to be greatly improved and I'm sure it will after promotion but it's encouraging that we have some guys there who have the baws to perform when it matters. 

Obviously a bit gutting to lose on penalties but you've got to look at that cup half full. We pushed them all the way and never gave up, that's all you can ask. I'm sure that performance will give us even more confidence and belief that we can tank this league and that we can get to other finals once again. 

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I knew Edouarde would go down the middle and I knew Ajer would.

Edouarde because he knows Gordon and odds were that Gordon knows the Edouarde rarely take a pen down the middle. Edouarde won that mind game - I liked (but was surprised) by Gordon’s reaction to that getting booked. Craig hurt today badly.

But I think we basically proved today we can give anyone in Scotland a game and get a result - other than Rangers. And. It many can at the moment.

Anyone moaning about the first half must also accept and recognise that we actually could and should have won the game in the second 45 - possibly by 2 goals.

Anyway, it’s a sore one for me personally. Any cup final where we probably should have won  is going to hurts.

Yeah, I called Ajer out as well, was shouting stay ****ing still, doon the middle at the TV. 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I've not been on here today but I hope no one is complaining. That was a pretty good performance by ourselves and we should have won the game tbh. 

I still think our team needs to be greatly improved and I'm sure it will after promotion but it's encouraging that we have some guys there who have the baws to perform when it matters. 

Obviously a bit gutting to lose on penalties but you've got to look at that cup half full. We pushed them all the way and never gave up, that's all you can ask. I'm sure that performance will give us even more confidence and belief that we can tank this league and that we can get to other finals once again. 

Also, beating hibs and that performance will have top flight teams very wary if they draw us in the cup. 

Not Alloa tho. 

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

One thing that summed the state of refereeing up was that not only were the ref, linesman and the behind goals guy not going to give us Kingsley’s goal they weren’t going to give the handball.

Also, anyone moaning about football technology needs to have a second think about that now.

Yeah, although in real time I couldn't tell, but they linesman behind the goal are a waste of ****ing time. 

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

No complaints at all about the performance. 3-3 in a cup final coming from behind twice showed great spirit. Taking it to pens showed even more character. We lost the lottery this time. We'll be back stronger.

We're building something special at hearts, we are very well managed now as the finances have shown and can look forward to the future which is more than a lot of clubs can say right now in this current financial climate.

4 hours ago, RalphieCifaretto said:

I'm a Hearts fan from the West of Scotland, and I grew up amongst all my good pals who are Celtic and Rangers fans enjoying every success,  but I am thankful that my Dad drove me and my brother through every 2nd Saturday to Tynecastle for years and years. (I was born in 93 and extremely fortunate to see Hearts life 3 cups in my lifetime).

We went through every emotion today, and at half time I posted a comment disparaging of the performance , but I am so so proud of our performance today. As above, I have been through the most amazing highs (such as 2012) with my Dad and Brother, and even though today was tough, I would not change anything, as my pals take these sort of days for granted, but for our family no matter how high or low it will live with us forever rightly or wrongly, and when those highs come, it makes them oh so sweet.

We will have our day again Jambos. 

Great story mate, it certainly was an emotional day, we were so close to pulling off a huge upset!

I'll wake up, some time tomorrow, or today, depends how you look at it. And I'll thank the lord i follow Heart of Midlothian. 

Edited by Jamie Walker Tash

4 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yeah, although in real time I couldn't tell, but they linesman behind the goal are a waste of ****ing time. 

Kingsley blocks his view, tbf. 

Ffs somebody do a match day thread for the Boxing Day game. I need positivity. Would start one myself but I’m not jinxing it. We were excellent yesterday against a team with far better players. Their first half goals were a wonder strike and a penalty but we never gave up grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and showed courage and determination that’s been lacking all too often. Proud as **** of our guys yesterday but getting back up to the prem is what this season is all about, so we can get to hurt hibs and the old firm on a regular basis. 

Woke up this morning with a feeling of we might never get a better chance of beating Celtic in a final in my lifetime.

I just hope we will keep getting there and eventually we will win one.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Kingsley blocks his view, tbf. 

Yeah, he can't see **** all either way. 

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I reckon Paul Kane is a bigger hearts fan than you. 

I reckon you’re a bigger dick than Paul Kane.....🤔

3 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Word on what?

Why our best player only played 20 minutes (out of position) in a cup final  

Edited by R1874

4 minutes ago, R1874 said:

Why our best player only played 20 minutes (out of position) in a cup final  

Because he wasn’t fit enough. He also played well in a position he’s good at. 

Yes, we should be proud of our performance from half time on.  BUT, we were just two decent penalties away from glory.

So, when the excitement, anticipation, frustration and sheer disappointment subside, is it not reasonable to seek an inquest into our penalty-taking decisions?

Why were more of our senior players not chosen, particularly with the pressure of sudden death.  Kingsley never looked confident nor skilled enough for a “one step” kick, and Wighton would have been the last player I would have chosen in that situation.  Both powder puff shots that most keepers would save.  These two must be gutted.

And why was Boyce subbed?  He would have been odds on to score.

Or do we just say, it’s done and move on.

43 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

Yes, we should be proud of our performance from half time on.  BUT, we were just two decent penalties away from glory.

So, when the excitement, anticipation, frustration and sheer disappointment subside, is it not reasonable to seek an inquest into our penalty-taking decisions?

Why were more of our senior players not chosen, particularly with the pressure of sudden death.  Kingsley never looked confident nor skilled enough for a “one step” kick, and Wighton would have been the last player I would have chosen in that situation.  Both powder puff shots that most keepers would save.  These two must be gutted.

Boyce went off injured and he did miss 2 penalties in one game recently when his first penalty miss had to be retaken!

I presume we practice penalties? If so it wasn't evident, side foot into the corner is how not to score against any decent goalie. Steven Pressley used to take ours and they were the same every time, laces through the ball, to the goalies right and about five feet off the ground. I can't recall him missing one.

Gimme an H...
1 hour ago, chrystaf said:

Boyce was injured - that's why he went off. He's also missed his last two pens.

I said as much on another thread but the players put themselves forward for penalties in a shootout. If the senior players you're slavering about didn't think they had it in them to take a penalty in such a high pressure situation then they don't take one (until sudden death).

Kingsely and Wighton should be praised for having the balls to step up and take one. They're human, we all make mistakes.

I applaud each and everyone one of them, penalty takers and all.

Gimme an H...
6 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I presume we practice penalties? If so it wasn't evident, side foot into the corner is how not to score against any decent goalie. Steven Pressley used to take ours and they were the same every time, laces through the ball, to the goalies right and about five feet off the ground. I can't recall him missing one.

Elvis side footed them all. He never had the technique to lace it.

Don't recall him missing one either.

1 minute ago, Gimme an H... said:

Elvis side footed them all. He never had the technique to lace it.

Don't recall him missing one either.

Whatever, but he hit the bloody hard.

13 hours ago, Rods said:

Boyce looked injured when he came off which is a worry. 

Think he over-stretched when attempting the overhead kick which Brown took off his toe.