***Official Heart of Midlothian v Celtic Scottish Cup Final 2020 thread***

Swanny17

Very difficult to pick the team which is a good situation to be in 

For me Haring Ginelly are key must play and I think they will .... Haring has been nursed for this game he is so critical 

Think he will play Halliday but would prefer to see Irving as he is quality 

Prediction Gordon man of the match and also have a sneaky for Walker to win this 

2-1 ♥️ 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• Gorgie Boot boy

• Bazzas right boot

• kila

11 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

Very difficult to pick the team which is a good situation to be in 

For me Haring Ginelly are key must play and I think they will .... Haring has been nursed for this game he is so critical 

Think he will play Halliday but would prefer to see Irving as he is quality 

Prediction Gordon man of the match and also have a sneaky for Walker to win this 

2-1 ♥️ 

I've just been a bit surprised Haring hasn't been given any minutes at all last 2. I do hope he is in the team. Brings a lot of composure. I agree with Rene team above but Ginnelly for Walker

When comparing with last year worth remembering Clare, Mulraney, Edwards and Djoum are quick and can cover ground. I appreciate they might not have done it every game but in the final they all put a shift in. 

Not convinced Naismith and Walker wide in a 433 has same impact. Especially if Irving and/or Lee was to play in midfield. Press might not be perfect which could leave us vulnerable 

Really think Gino has to start. Give us a big 45 minutes to stop Celtic settling. I don’t need him to beat 4 players and put one top corner. But work hard, run in behind, chase every ball, win throws/corners/free kicks. Anything else is a bonus

We have 5 subs. Gino is worth the risk imo 

goldiebackwash1985

Got a good feeling that we will pull something out the bag

Last time we won 2012 and Captain Zal 

This final is being played 20/12 and Big Zaliuskas will be fondly remembered

Win incoming 😀

I was confident until the Rangers result. Sounds mad but that’s such a momentum swinger for Celtic. Rangers win and they are two games away from their first trophy in years with barely a decent side left in the tournament. Now they’ve been beat it just shows how soft they still are and that they can’t get things over the line which gives Celtic a massive boost, in my opinion. 

We have to go at them from the start and put them under pressure or they’ll just pick us off at ease. We have to get Kingsley and smith in the game and win the midfield battle. 

Gordon 

Smith 

Berra 

Halkett 

Kingsley 

Irving 

Haring 

Walker 

Naismith 

Ginnelly 

Boyce

Haring to protect Berra and Halkett. Irving to get the ball moving forward quickly. Boyce will be key for us as he’ll need to be amazing at holding the ball up and making it stick so we can get up the park and get Walker and Ginnelly in the game. If we sit in and look to contain Celtic, we will lose. 

Hearts 1 - Celtic 2 my head says. 

Hearts 3 - Celtic 0 my heart says 😂

2 hours ago, R1874 said:

When comparing with last year worth remembering Clare, Mulraney, Edwards and Djoum are quick and can cover ground. I appreciate they might not have done it every game but in the final they all put a shift in. 

Not convinced Naismith and Walker wide in a 433 has same impact. Especially if Irving and/or Lee was to play in midfield. Press might not be perfect which could leave us vulnerable 

Really think Gino has to start. Give us a big 45 minutes to stop Celtic settling. I don’t need him to beat 4 players and put one top corner. But work hard, run in behind, chase every ball, win throws/corners/free kicks. Anything else is a bonus

We have 5 subs. Gino is worth the risk imo 

good post. I don’t think Lee and Irving will start together. I think Haring will start like last cup final and protect the CBs.  I also think I’d start with Ginelly as he’s going to give them some problems hopefully , certainly they will have to watch him maybe double up.  Naismith is a certain starter and I’d thing Walker more than deserves to start given the last couple of games where he has made the difference.

Then there is the Halliday question. He hates them and could be a real asset in this fixture.

Robbies got some food for thought. But a great problem to have and no matter the bench should be strong

Edited by 1971fozzy

Gorgie Boot boy
14 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

That's an absolute stoater!!!

I like the Pathe footage, have a few of them.

Gorgie Boot boy
7 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

This clip came up automatically after that one. It's equally good.

Brilliant.

Gorgie Boot boy
19 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

That's an absolute stoater!!!

Bauld's celebration 1956

Gowzer celebration 2012

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

This clip came up automatically after that one. It's equally good.

Wonderful, look at how packed it was and nobody will be there on Sunday. Crazy times. 

Gorgie Boot boy
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Wonderful, look at how packed it was and nobody will be there on Sunday. Crazy times. 

more like 200,000

Pasquale for King

Normally I think you would be able to pick the team, formation and the tactics but there are so many variables. Virtually full strength too which is rare. I’m not sure even when we see the team we will know for certain who will play where. 
Nobody apart from ourselves really think we can win, it would be so sweet to do it with who we are playing and everything that happened to us recently. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, Gorgie Boot boy said:

more like 200,000

Exactly, almost looks claustrophobic. If someone stands a yard behind me these days I feel like telling them to back the **** off 😱🙈😆.  

Gorgie Boot boy
6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Exactly, almost looks claustrophobic. If someone stands a yard behind me these days I feel like telling them to back the **** off 😱🙈😆.  

Pissing in each others pockets too.

17 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Normally I think you would be able to pick the team, formation and the tactics but there are so many variables. Virtually full strength too which is rare. I’m not sure even when we see the team we will know for certain who will play where. 
Nobody apart from ourselves really think we can win, it would be so sweet to do it with who we are playing and everything that happened to us recently. 

It would be a massive achievement and a massive third finger to everyone outside this club (Partick etc aside obviously).  I think I would enjoy it from that side as much as anything. A cup that should of been binned but wasn’t due to the corrupt decision to let that Celtic filth have the opportunity to get a quadruple treble. Beggars belief. To stick it up then would be just fantastic 

Pasquale for King
34 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

It would be a massive achievement and a massive third finger to everyone outside this club (Partick etc aside obviously).  I think I would enjoy it from that side as much as anything. A cup that should of been binned but wasn’t due to the corrupt decision to let that Celtic filth have the opportunity to get a quadruple treble. Beggars belief. To stick it up then would be just fantastic 

Absolutely, being massive underdogs helps us. If they win so what we are a Championship team after all. All the pressure is on them and if we win it’s curtains for Lennon and half the team, how good would that be 🤞🙏

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Robbie suggested 2 weeks ago he’s worked out that playing 4-3-3 worked best with the current squad (think he’s worked out Roberts and Frear aren’t providing what we expected) and he indicated that would be our formation moving forward unless the squad changed

That being the case:

Gordon

Smith

Halkett

Berra

Kingsley

Lee

Haring 

Irving

Naismith

Boyce

Walker

Attacking enough to start without being overly containing or cavalier. Width from full backs with Haring dropping back just in front of back two for cover when in possession.

Decent numbers in midfield where Walker and Naismith can help out higher up the park if we lose the ball.

Ginnelly, Halliday, Aidy, Wighton to come on at least depending on how game is going

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Been thinking all week about what we’ll do tactically. For me it now boils down to Ginelly starting or not. If he starts IMO we’ll be going for it from the start, if he doesn’t start we’ll be playing a containing game.

Jambo, Goodbye

Was thinking about our own tribute treble...

2006 , we won the cup, and signed Zal. 

2012, we won the cup, captained by Zal. 

2020, we win the cup as a tribute to Zal. 

Make it so Hearts! 

The passage of time gives you great perspective imo.  Takes emotion out of your viewpoint.

Despite that passage of time, what Brown did to Cochrane is disgraceful and unforgiveable.  We all know why he did it and that just puts his character on display.  It will just about make me vomit if he's collecting another trophy in a couple of days.  I have zero respect for him and I don't say that lightly.

On a much happier note, is the Scottish Cup the oldest trophy in world professional football?  My understanding is the FA Cup is the oldest tournament but not the oldest trophy as in their inimitable way, the English managed to lose the original.

On another note, I've really enjoyed reading about the traditional breakfasts many of you are having on Sunday.  Fried haggis.  Lorne sausage.  Brilliant.

We don't have edible food here now.  I only weigh about 20 kilos.  You can get stuff called sushi.  It's horrible.  Also hummus which is foreign muck.  And bags of rocket.  What the hell is that?

Thanks God for wine and crisps.

41 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

On another note, I've really enjoyed reading about the traditional breakfasts many of you are having on Sunday.  Fried haggis.  Lorne sausage.  Brilliant.

We don't have edible food here now.  I only weigh about 20 kilos.  You can get stuff called sushi.  It's horrible.  Also hummus which is foreign muck.  And bags of rocket.  What the hell is that?

Thanks God for wine and crisps.

Here's a virtual Cup Final nosh-up for you. Enjoy! 😛

20201218_053821.jpg

5 hours ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

Was thinking about our own tribute treble...

2006 , we won the cup, and signed Zal. 

2012, we won the cup, captained by Zal. 

2020, we win the cup as a tribute to Zal. 

Make it so Hearts! 

And the date is 20/12 for final !!!!

50 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Had a dream we scored to go one up around the 75th minute. 

Then woke myself up by shouting penalty shortly after. 

Spooky as !!!

I didn’t dream a goal but woke up through the night shouting ‘PENALTY !! ‘ 

4 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

20201218_053821.jpg

Heres a taste sensation for you, get a sour cream and chive dip for the monster munch, you can thank me later😀

18 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Nah.

Cochrane was just a wee laddie at the time. Irving is a big lad.

I doubt a bully like Brown won't have the baws to try that,

If Brown thinks Irving is going to spread the balls around then I am sure he will take one for the team. 

28 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Heres a taste sensation for you, get a sour cream and chive dip for the monster munch, you can thank me later😀

Master chef nominee 2021

I predict 4-0 Celtic. Hearts to battle hard and have a great chance in the 26th minute, only for Boyce to hit the post. Celtic to then score in the 40th from a corner that should have been a goal kick. Hearts to come out fighting in the 2nd half, only to lose a sucker punch deflected goal in the 60th, with the arse then falling out with a 30 yard rasper in the 65th and comical defending in the 72nd. Celtic to close out the game as comfortable winners despite being shite for 70 minutes. 

Hopefully, I'm ****ing miles away with my prediction like normal. 

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Been thinking all week about what we’ll do tactically. For me it now boils down to Ginelly starting or not. If he starts IMO we’ll be going for it from the start, if he doesn’t start we’ll be playing a containing game.

Spot on 👍🏽

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

To be honest I think the fact that we don't have a set system or starting 11 will work in our favour, as Celtic won't be able to game plan as well. Sometimes Robbie has made some pretty poor tactical choices in big games (will always remember 5 at the back at home against Hibs). But there's an opportunity to really take the game to them, so I hope he doesn't just intend to sit in. Just getting the Cup Final feeling now. Mon the Hearts.

Nelly Terraces

Anyone know if the amateur broadcasters at BBC Scotland have managed to sort there being crowd noise on their coverage of the game yet? Just can't get into a game watching it with total silence, it's brutal. Think the game is also on Premier Sports who do have crowd noise on their games so will probably just end up watching it on there anyway. 

Cheers - HHGH - FTC.

1 hour ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Anyone know if the amateur broadcasters at BBC Scotland have managed to sort there being crowd noise on their coverage of the game yet? Just can't get into a game watching it with total silence, it's brutal. Think the game is also on Premier Sports who do have crowd noise on their games so will probably just end up watching it on there anyway. 

Cheers - HHGH - FTC.

I'm in two minds about crowd noise. On the one hand I quite like to hear the coaches and players shouting, on the other the swearing could be a problem at 2:15 on a Sunday afternoon. I quite like the crowd noise broadcast in the stadium, as I think they do at Tynecastle.

Bazzas right boot
18 hours ago, Baxfee said:

image.jpeg.597389a6a2689076308b80b463ea2ad3.jpeg

I'd be playing Ginnelly over walker as a out ball. 

Lee/Irving is 50/50, but I'd maybe swap Halliday and Lee and then play white over Lee. 

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

20201218_053821.jpg

Love it. 

I'm a cultured adult with fine taste, but at the same time I'm 12 and want monster munch. 

😂

I'm the same, but it's marshmallows and haribos. 

Few comments about odds and betting for Sunday. 

Tynecastle park ( 14.05 Southwell today). 

Hearts win on Sunday   

Double pays nearly 99/1.    

More than likely a donation to the bookmaker - be a lovely one to come in though 

Gorgie Boot boy
Just now, assessor said:

The boy with the programme all scrunched up, do you know price of one today?

My late uncle Bernard gave me this program for my 1st birthday, my Mother has it in our family collection. It is signed with the score on the cover though.

Gorgie Boot boy
8 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

20201218_053821.jpg

No way are you tannin that watching  the game.

No Buckfast or wine gums.

Them crisps with be ate before  kick off.

Gorgie Boot boy
45 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I'd be playing Ginnelly over walker as a out ball. 

Lee/Irving is 50/50, but I'd maybe swap Halliday and Lee and then play white over Lee. 

This is close and why i said it will be the most difficult pick.

Can only take a common thought on it, play Walker Naismith at some point in the second half.

The starting line up is going to have to shut up shop and control the play first.

47 minutes ago, Scott980612 said:

Few comments about odds and betting for Sunday. 

Tynecastle park ( 14.05 Southwell today). 

Hearts win on Sunday   

Double pays nearly 99/1.    

More than likely a donation to the bookmaker - be a lovely one to come in though 

Came in 2nd - hope that isn't an omen :muggy:

• wattie exploited changed the title to come on hearts