January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

34 minutes ago, quockerwodgerjambo said:

Talent that people want to pay for would help.

Craig was a one off in a generation, would never of happened if the Mad one wasn't at the helm.

We would of got £750,000, previous board would of sold him to one of the manky twins.

The only reason we got 9 million for Craig is vlad signed him on a contract worthy of a 9 million pound player.  You can't demand 20 million for a player in 800 quid a week

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

quockerwodgerjambo
1 minute ago, savage said:

The only reason we got 9 million for Craig is vlad signed him on a contract worthy of a 9 million pound player.  You can't demand 20 million for a player in 800 quid a week

No, it was because he was the outstanding talent of his generation. Vlad knew what he was doing, he was not going to give him to the Rantic directly.

Craig Gordon was the best young goalkeeper on the planet at that time, totally different level of interest and money involved.

Produce the talent, then the wishful will come.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
46 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Lennon was on Sky Sports saying Frimpong was abroad negotiating his move from Celtic. Is that possible in the current climate?

Elite sportspeople are exempt so yes.

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Yep. Good Center halves have been the basis for every great attacking team. Not just Hearts, any level in football. When you’ve got average or in our case pish Center halves, you’ve got to have a sitting midfielder there protecting them. Otherwise you’ll just concede 2-3 goals vs any semi-competent opposition which makes winning those games very difficult. 

It’s chicken or the egg stuff at times though.  Levein was renowned for going down the strategy you describe but he failed (in his 2nd spell) to get it right in respect of mentality and the overall strategy the team played. 

It’s probably no coincidence that to date our two best managers in the last 30 odd years provided longevity in terms of teams performance, and that was surely AMcD and JJ. 

If you scrutinise their sides it was very much like how you describe.  Very good defenders in their set up who had the mobility and know-how to defend the way we all like. But they crucially knew how to build the team in front while instilling the rugged, persistent attitude we witnessed.  

Levein did similar in his first spell, tbf.  

Edited by Debut 4

12 minutes ago, savage said:

I don't disagree but then if the talent is worth £20Million and he is really sought after by many big teams, what should it really matter what wages he WAS on?

Under the floodlight
55 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Are we bringing Washington back?

Yeah, him and Dembele the new centre halves.

36 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

He would never get the time he got then now would he? Football is ******!

Absolutely no chance. Interesting to think how different things may have been if he had to operate in the success now era.

30 minutes ago, savage said:

How does that work exactly? Surely if top sides are bidding against each other £20m is achievable regardless of current wage. 

quockerwodgerjambo
11 minutes ago, Barack said:

Think Iker Casillas & Petr Cech might have argued differently...

Now you can say that, Craig Gordon's transfer was a Uk record at that time for a goalkeeper. Not sure of how much Castillas or Chech were transferred for from their parent club.

Gordon's transfer was top headlines. Then he turns up and has a clean sheet in his first training session with his new team.

This could go on, the fact Craig has that in his locker should say it all . Talent to match the worlds best , then and today.

3 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

Apologies if posted elsewhere. Taken this morning at hermiston gait tesco

IMG-20210126-WA0009.jpg

Kleenex tissues, £3! Rip off Britain. 

Edited by Zen Jambo

2 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

IMG-20210126-WA0009.jpg

Doesnae look 6’4” to me. Specky wi bandy legs inaw. Hope he’s quicker than he looks.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Mollo said:

Celtic and Rangers top departures have gained fee's that have increased in line with the transfer market over the years. Take Celtic for instance:

McGeady - 10/11 = £11m

Wanyama - 13/14 = £13m

VVD - 15/16 = £14m

Dembele - 18/19 = £20m

Tierney - 19/20 = £24m

We, however got £9m for Gordon well over a decade ago and since then have watch every asset (I get circumstances come into play such as contract length etc) disappear for at best around £2m.. thats a decade later and top assets leaving for under a fifth of the Gordon price tag. A lot have since then gone for well under £1m. At that rate we will be paying clubs to take our best players :D

How do clubs like Hearts stem the widening gap? It's crippling.

Surely contracts should include clauses that say, "As you become a top earner at a club, your release value must move with it" - crude and I know I am nowhere near knowing ANYTHING about it. But the rest are going to the wall losing skills and the ugly sisters continue to reap a increased values for top talent. Is there a way to reverse the trend?

Frustrating :( 

It is, bit that team was near the top of the league. 

If we had a top team at the top end of the league as well as doing well in the cups and big games clubs would take note of our players. 

Hickey might have been in the £3-£5m bracket if he had more years on his contract left as well.  The fee was greatly reduced due to his contract. 

Souttar was the one that had a bit about him, but injuries have stopped him with us, never mind moving on. 

Neil Dongcaster
7 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

IMG-20210126-WA0009.jpg

I dunno how you managed to spot him.

5 minutes ago, sac said:

Doesnae look 6’4” to me. Specky wi bandy legs inaw. Hope he’s quicker than he looks.

😀😀

1 hour ago, baxterd1974 said:

Simply not true.  Man U were often very slow starters hence Fergie Time

Couldn't have been slow starters mate. They won about 30 trophies ffs. 

I thought 'fergie time' alluded to the ridiculous amount of injury time often allowed involving Man Utd whereby they often scored a winner. A bit like Celtic up here.

1 minute ago, neilnunb said:

I thought 'fergie time' alluded to the ridiculous amount of injury time often allowed involving Man Utd whereby they often scored a winner. A bit like Celtic up here.

That’s what it meant. 

8 hours ago, Eddie The Eagle said:

Which we are still paying for and will be paying for many years to come. His mess will take years to undo

All I know (from speaking to staff) is that we now have a restructured recruitment department with open and frank discussion on targets headed by a workaholic and dynamic leader . 

Edited by Disco Ball

adambraejambo
10 minutes ago, sac said:

Hello Father Dougall. No need to worry the bandy specky one is just far away. 

3 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Yep. When he used to tap his watch at the 4th official is they were drawing or behind :lol:

2 minutes ago, Disco Ball said:

All I know (from speaking to staff) is that we already have a restructured recruitment department with open and frank discussion on targets headed by a workaholic and dynamic leader . 

Good to hear. Any further details you’d like to add? Something interesting is rare in this thread so I’d like to milk it. 😀

18 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

IMG-20210126-WA0009.jpg

Absolute certainty that he will now miss games due to picking up Covid from his shopping expedition.

9 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Couldn't have been slow starters mate. They won about 30 trophies ffs. 

Won from losing positions 15 times in the league in 99/00. Lots of big teams can be considered slow starters. I think it's taking others lightly. My in laws/Mrs are all big reds and have forever moaned about why it takes them a half to get going.

quockerwodgerjambo
11 minutes ago, Barack said:

Don't get me wrong, he was one of the best talent's, yes. Absolutely. And Vlad pulled a blinder, that won't be matched at our club.

Wether Gordon was worth £9m, who cares? The value of a player then, didn't reflect their ability most of the time. But it did with him.  Certainly more true now. Pay what you think they're worth. Sunderland & Keane(?) thought so. Fair enough.

Folk on here were hoping Paterson would go for millions & earn us a cut. Pays your money, you take your chances.

100 per cent agree with the Gordon talk,as i said he wasn't the everyday goalkeeper. The bundle came from the fact he was a rare talent at that time in the UK, injury robbed him of a few seasons who knows where may of ended up. a week or so before he re signed for us, i had a  dream he was coming our way again, we got relegated in that dream though.

I thought Hickey would layer our pockets in 24k gold, not sure of the ins and outs of his deal but he is serving a years apprenticeship as a  young incoming worker, He is going to be worth big money in 2 years from now, we probably have a slice to look forward to. Silly money is thrown about on players who are nowhere near as inspirational as Craig Gordon.

Then there is Andy Irving, his game is coming together and he looks like he is going places. Potential £10M talent , if we play it the right way. A 3 year deal and a return to the SPL after winning the 2021 Scottish cup, should hike up his price. We are on the edge on that deal, i was hearing he was going for the deal then decided to step back and think again. Not sure what will happen now. After that we signed a striker who may end up bringing in top money, again if's only at the minute.

alwaysthereinspirit
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Lennon was on Sky Sports saying Frimpong was abroad negotiating his move from Celtic. Is that possible in the current climate?

Not for most but I think he is a Celtic employee.🤪 So nothing to see here.

3 hours ago, Bunny Munro said:

Never mind Gordon, if Bobby played all season we'd have stayed up.

Yeah you might be right... anyway, onto tonight 

expecting high tempo start and some grit to make up for Saturday 🤞🤞🤞

28 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Good to hear. Any further details you’d like to add? Something interesting is rare in this thread so I’d like to milk it. 😀

Only that I am glad to see the back of the Old Guard (who I thoroughly enjoyed working with in 2000) ... and glad to hear there is now enthusiastic open and candid debate with executive about stuff like recruitment.  I tip my hat to AB .

Edited by Disco Ball

Only that I am glad to see the back of the Old Guard (who I thoroughly enjoyed working with in 2000) ... and glad to hear there is now enthusiastic open and candid debate with executive about stuff like recruitment.  I tip my hat to AB .

Thanks for that. 👍

Only that I am glad to see the back of the Old Guard (who I thoroughly enjoyed working with in 2000) ... and glad to hear there is now enthusiastic open and candid debate with executive about stuff like recruitment.  I tip my hat to AB .

👍👍

53 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

IMG-20210126-WA0009.jpg

Boy on left......new centre half????

1 hour ago, crunchy frog said:

IMG-20210126-WA0009.jpg

57 minutes ago, Zen Jambo said:

Kleenex tissues, £3! Rip off Britain. 

The link sausages on the shelf behind the woman look good value, though.

Apologies if this has been answered above ...... but what's the story with Adebayo now,  after we've brought in  Armand ? 

It's been reported that he agreed terms with us - but  is he now off the radar, due to the Training Comp/Solidarity payment thingy ?   I've read through the lawyers explanation of how training comp/solidarity works several times but it's a bit complicated.  A player's 23rd birthday seems to be significant, but he's already 23.    So might  we try again in a future window ?

2 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Apologies if this has been answered above ...... but what's the story with Adebayo now,  after we've brought in  Armand ? 

It's been reported that he agreed terms with us - but  is he now off the radar, due to the Training Comp/Solidarity payment thingy ?   I've read through the lawyers explanation of how training comp/solidarity works several times but it's a bit complicated.  A player's 23rd birthday seems to be significant, but he's already 23.    So might  we try again in a future window ?

Nobody knows matey, it's all just guess work.

14 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

I think it applies for the whole season in which he hits his 23rd birthday, something like that so by my reckoning we can get him for nothing once this season is finished. When was his birthday ?

6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I think it applies for the whole season in which he hits his 23rd birthday, something like that so by my reckoning we can get him for nothing once this season is finished. When was his birthday ?

CHeers JC.   Wiki says its Jan 7th .... so if you're right, training comp shouldn't be chargeable. Unless cross-border contract changes work differently 

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Changed to include the whole year in which the player has his 23rd birthday....not linked to the football season now but to the calendar year

He could be out of contract in June but compensation could still be due up to January 2022.

Edited by CJGJ

3 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Wighton away. Bit risky just having 2 strikers? Suppose we only have 15 games left after tonight. 

We will have another before window closes

4 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Wighton away. Bit risky just having 2 strikers? Suppose we only have 15 games left after tonight. 

Gnando, Boyce and Naismith is enough IMO.

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

We will have another before window closes

If that is the case, makes sense to let Wighton go to a club he will get regular football as he will be off in the summer anyway.

2 hours ago, martoon said:

The link sausages on the shelf behind the woman look good value, though.

Proper gud ol' Scottish portions 

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, Famous 1874 said:

Does Neilson see Naisy as a striker?

No, he actively spoke out saying he was using him as a number 10. Another striker would be good like

Just now, Absolute Scenes said:

No, he actively spoke out saying he was using him as a number 10. Another striker would be good like

Thought so. New big man great cameo from him. 

Just now, Famous 1874 said:

Does Neilson see Naisy as a striker?

He says no. Wants his influence further back...I prefer his influence as a striker or on the bench tbh.

'I'd like to do more' states Robbie...one or two more indicated with a couple moving on

Wighton's position will be discussed in the next few days

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )