*****ISRAEL V. SCOTLAND*****

DETTY29

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Aye, he did have two good seasons but so have lots of managers. Neilson wouldn't play that nonsense 3 at the back and shoehorn players into the wrong positions. He'd make us harder to beat at the back and would do what works for him and what I think would work for Scotland and play a 4-2-3-1 with players in the right positions. McTominay would be nowhere near CB for example. He'd also find some width from somewhere instead of playing loads of central midfielders all over the shop.

Mate, they were on the way down, he done absolute wonders on a fraction of the money neilson gets and it's no wonder he got the scotland job. 

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• BigAlim

• Malinga the Swinga

• Pasquale for King

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Mate, they were on the way down, he done absolute wonders on a fraction of the money neilson gets and it's no wonder he got the scotland job. 

It is no wonder he got the Scotland job. It was a very predictable appointment.

Pasquale for King
36 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

We have some reasonably skillful players who can spray a pass about the midfield but we lack someone in there who can go box to box and play a good through ball. McTominay seems to do that for Man U but we use him at the back and weaken both the defense and the midfield. Only Clarke knows why. 

Got to fit the only Rangers player in the team somehow. 

37 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Away and boil yer heid ya dafty.

What’s daft about the Captain taking responsibility 

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

It is no wonder he got the Scotland job. It was a very predictable appointment.

I would hope it was feckin predictable, he deserved it. 

Bazzas right boot
20 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

We're still shite, but i'd still rather have Steve Clarke than Craig Levein or Robbie Neilson. 

We need to be patient and trust him. 

If we had Steve Clarke you'd want someone else. 

That’s Scotland for you.

Thank God that no ‘Hearts fan’ sees the need to slag off Craig or Robbie on a Scotland thread.

That would just be a wee bit too Hibby, wouldn’t it?  🤷🏿‍♂️

Pasquale for King
46 minutes ago, DS98 said:

James McFadden just said on the Israel goal ‘I don’t know what else McTominy could do there’

eh. . maybe not get ripped up for arse paper?? You absolute slaver.

He does the right thing initially but gets squared up by the guy who then goes back outside, he has to pass him on or turn inside. McFadden is a coach  isn’t he 🤷🏾‍♂️🙈

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

If we had Steve Clarke you'd want someone else. 

I totally wouldn't, that would make me day. 

Steve Clarke, i'd be like yaaass. 

Paulo Sergio, who i don't think is a better manager than Steve Clarke, i'd be like YAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Got to fit the only Rangers player in the team somehow. 

In the contract for sure:biggrin:

However, he should use the bench and replace like for like so players play where they are comfortable and can influence a game more. 

When he brings McBurnie on it ain't like for like as no one is like Ollie thankfully.

2 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Whut? They are garbage, we've stolen the ball off them so many times they should be paying to get back in. 

lol, you were saying? 

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

In the contract for sure:biggrin:

However, he should use the bench and replace like for like so players play where they are comfortable and can influence a game more. 

When he brings McBurnie on it ain't like for like as no one is like Ollie thankfully.

I don’t think we have a like for like with Dykes unfortunately. I also don’t see what Kenny Maclean brings to the party to be honest. Playing a midfielder in a forward position and another at the back really isn’t the way forward. We will need everyone fit and ready to go in the summer. 

Boys looked like they were on their holidays, on reflection we've been pretty poor in this group over the piece, two wins over second string teams has sugar coated things. 

Hope Steve Clarke gives them a massive kick up the arse, my concern is that alot of the squad think they will get called up everytime from now on after getting us to the euros, boys like McBurnie, Burke should be no where near the next squad unless they start performing for their club. 

Guest ToqueJambo
33 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He does the right thing initially but gets squared up by the guy who then goes back outside, he has to pass him on or turn inside. McFadden is a coach  isn’t he 🤷🏾‍♂️🙈

A former Scotland coach no less as recently as last year. It's not hard to see why we are where we are.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I don’t think we have a like for like with Dykes unfortunately. I also don’t see what Kenny Maclean brings to the party to be honest. Playing a midfielder in a forward position and another at the back really isn’t the way forward. We will need everyone fit and ready to go in the summer. 

He has to find some attacking width. The wing back thing just isn't working. Instead he's playing far too many central midfielders, often out of position.

We need to solve the McTominay issue before the summer. He’s been awful in a back 3. Just about every goal we’ve conceded recently is down to him. Not the lad’s fault being asked to play there but we need to have a back 3 that can play as a 3. Two plus a bombscare against decent teams isn’t going to cut it.

Edited by JimmyCant

8 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

We need to solve the McTominay issue before the summer. He’s been awful in a back 3. Just about every goal we’ve conceded recently is down to him. Not the lad’s fault being asked to play there but we need to have a back 3 that can play as a 3. Two plus a bombscare against decent teams isn’t going to cut it.

Aye but you can see why he has played him there though?

We only have one right footer and Gallagher isn't as good on the ball or as mobile. If Soapy was fit and on form then perhaps things might be different. We really struggle for balance in defence. 

The back 3 has worked but tonight and v Slovakia we needed a plan B and unfortunately we don't have Ryan Fraser or dare I say it, James Forrest available to give us that different option. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

He has to find some attacking width. The wing back thing just isn't working. Instead he's playing far too many central midfielders, often out of position.

Fraser or Forrest would provide it but they’re often injured. 

Just watched the highlights and there’s quite a few out of position and it shows. 

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

A former Scotland coach no less as recently as last year. It's not hard to see why we are where we are.

He doesn’t sound like the brightest to me. 

Pasquale for King

I think you could criticise Clarke for not putting more pressure on one the worst GKs when it comes to crosses, long range shots or backpasses. 

alwaysthereinspirit
32 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think you could criticise Clarke for not putting more pressure on one the worst GKs when it comes to crosses, long range shots or backpasses. 

The best goalkeeper in the stadium....

was sitting on our bench.

8 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Sorry, unprofessional and not acceptable in professional sport. Doomed to play shit teams in shit games again, all because players wanted to go on the lash. 

One win against Slovakia aside, the only games we've won this year in normal time have been against a Czech side wiped out by Covid.

We've not beaten Israel in 3 attempts in the last 2 months - were we hungover each time?

In terms of chances created, our best game was against Slovakia away - the game straight after we qualified.

We should have won that game easily. There was no hangover, just awful finishing as we have no decent forwards.

From euphoria to 2 defeats against diddys. As said above it’s the scotland way. 
not surprised in the least. The bonus of course is that we at least have a major competition to go to. 

10 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

No excuses about qualifying for Euros draining players Clarke. 

You ****ed up on Sunday and you ****ed up tonight. 

We barely score a goal, and if we lose first goal in a game, we are ****ed. 

In addition, remember we only beat Czech B team 2-1 when they missed most of their team with Covid. 

Celtic got horsed at home to Sparta reserves.  You can only beat what is in front.  Scotland unlucky last night and will improve. 

55 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

not surprised in the least. The bonus of course is that we at least have a major competition to go to. 

When did Slovakia become diddies? 

7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Inexcusable not putting that huddy under more pressure. His distribution is god awful and we didn’t close anything down or pressure him.  

9 hours ago, Cut The Crap said:

Normal service resumed. 

Not sure it ever stopped. The only thing different about the last few weeks is two excellent penalty shootouts. If you take them away it was a poor draw against Israel and a decent performance away to Serbia only to draw in the dying minutes. That is as normal service for Scotland as it can get. 

Can't agree with this, H1b5 ha

2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Inexcusable not putting that huddy under more pressure. His distribution is god awful and we didn’t close anything down or pressure him.  

Can't agree with this, H1b5 have had some 5h1te goalies but Marciano isn't one of them, he kept Israel in the game last night. 

Levein just made some good points on radio just now. We have won and lost games by the tiniest margins recently, fortunately we won the biggest won, maybe we should be happy enough with that. It's a young enough squad and will improve if we could only find another decent striker to back up Dykes. 

2 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Can't agree with this, H1b5 ha

Can't agree with this, H1b5 have had some 5h1te goalies but Marciano isn't one of them, he kept Israel in the game last night. 

Levein just made some good points on radio just now. We have won and lost games by the tiniest margins recently, fortunately we won the biggest won, maybe we should be happy enough with that. It's a young enough squad and will improve if we could only find another decent striker to back up Dykes. 

As our hampden win showed his distribution is shit and doesn’t come for crosses.  Last night we didn’t play on either of that.  

I agree with Levein and your second paragraph as a whole.

28 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

When did Slovakia become diddies? 

Suddenly we think so highly of ourselves😁.  I’d hate to think what the press would be like now if we hadn’t held on and won the penalty shoot out v Serbia?  Still struggling for goals, still pretty ordinary, uninspiring play.

What Clarke has did really, is make Scotland efficient within its capabilities. But what does that mean?  You see players taking too much care on the ball, it’s all very particular and predictable.  

Dare I say it, I thought only Griffiths showed some clever, off the cuff play in key areas that contributed(albeit briefly) to Scotland looking more dangerous during an attack.

2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Suddenly we think so highly of ourselves😁.  I’d hate to think what the press would be like now if we hadn’t held on and won the penalty shoot out v Serbia?  Still struggling for goals, still pretty ordinary, uninspiring play.

What Clarke has did really, is make Scotland efficient within its capabilities. But what does that mean?  You see players taking too much care on the ball, it’s all very particular and predictable.  

Dare I say it, I thought only Griffiths showed some clever, off the cuff play in key areas that contributed(albeit briefly) to Scotland looking more dangerous during an attack.

All true, Clarke came in after the shambles of McLeish struggling to beat San Marino and pumped in Khzakakstan I think and came in to make us organised hard to beat not anything glamorous and do whatever it takes to get us to a major finals and hopefully build from there.

The team is boring don’t play with any imagination or freedom and grind out dull shit with the the occasional brilliant display.  I think we have missed our most creative player in Fraser and im still confident in progress plus we are actually going to a tournament, make the Country £10m football wise and imagine the boost to the economy next summer if we are allowed out.  I’m willing to forgive the primary for the latter in all honesty.  

Disappointed we couldn't top our nations league but our priority was getting to Euros, job done.   A wee reminder of how good an achievement that has been came in the form of Serbia 5 Russia 0 last night.  Last night's game highlighted what everyone associated with Scotland knows that we just lack that bit of quality in final 3rd.   That's something we can't control, what we can control is how we shape up as a team.  Clarke has given us a solid shape and an incredible team spirit.   

3 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Disappointed we couldn't top our nations league but our priority was getting to Euros, job done.   A wee reminder of how good an achievement that has been came in the form of Serbia 5 Russia 0 last night.  Last night's game highlighted what everyone associated with Scotland knows that we just lack that bit of quality in final 3rd.   That's something we can't control, what we can control is how we shape up as a team.  Clarke has given us a solid shape and an incredible team spirit.   

Fraser and Forrest will add to our attacking quality massively.  Has Ritchie completely chucked international football also? 

Just now, Last Laff said:

Fraser and Forrest will add to our attacking quality massively.  Has Ritchie completely chucked international football also? 

True.    I also watched Burke when he came on last night and thought why can't he find some consistency in his game.  He has explosive moments followed by headless chicken stuff.  Really frustrating because there's a great player inside his head somewhere!

Clarke and the team deserved the plaudits after getting us to the euros and I understand the celebrations. However it was unprofessional and shows how small minded we are as a nation.

Two games to get just two points against the bottom two teams and we get beat in both. Yes we deserved more in the Slovakia game and arguably even a draw tonight but you don’t win games if you don’t take your chances.

Whilst it was a successful international break it should of been so much more. Wasted opportunity to not only allow us to qualify for one euros but potentially two and a World Cup.

William H. Bonney

Our first major tournament in over 20 years and people think it was unprofessional of the players to celebrate. What a load of ****ing nonsense. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
5 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

Clarke and the team deserved the plaudits after getting us to the euros and I understand the celebrations. However it was unprofessional and shows how small minded we are as a nation.

Two games to get just two points against the bottom two teams and we get beat in both. Yes we deserved more in the Slovakia game and arguably even a draw tonight but you don’t win games if you don’t take your chances.

Whilst it was a successful international break it should of been so much more. Wasted opportunity to not only allow us to qualify for one euros but potentially two and a World Cup.

The bottom line is that qualification via a pretty questionable Nations League system has deflected attention from the very average international side that we are. In conventional terms, we didn’t actually qualify for the Euros. We got in through a weird structure which UEFA will abandon at some stage.

Riddley Walker

The truth is we had by far the better chances over the two games. Barely remember a chance either Israel or Slovakia had. We showed poor finishing and composure in and around the box. Still lots of positives. We move on.

3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The bottom line is that qualification via a pretty questionable Nations League system has deflected attention from the very average international side that we are. In conventional terms, we didn’t actually qualify for the Euros. We got in through a weird structure which UEFA will abandon at some stage.

Why would the abandon a successful format which makes them lots of money? 

Some absolutely nuclear takes on this thread.

Fact is if we'd shown better finishing we'd have won all 3 of these games comfortably.  The system Clarke has brought in has made us more solid defensively and has us creating far more chances.

We're a team with few top class players, but at least we are playing somewhere near our capabilities in games now

17 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

Our first major tournament in over 20 years and people think it was unprofessional of the players to celebrate. What a load of ****ing nonsense. 

It is the problem with Scotland. Imagine we got out of a group stage for once at a tournment.  I'd expect to see our players get drunk after that too...Last night Israel wanted revenge and they got it...We chucked the Slovakia game for nothing.

2 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

...or provides an opportunity to paper over the cracks.

The fine lines of sport, had things fallen a fraction for Serbia, I believe Clarke's position would have been under serious pressure.  The last two results are incredibly disappointing, and the Serbia result provides a distraction.  

3 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

It is the problem with Scotland. Imagine we got out of a group stage for once at a tournment.  I'd expect to see our players get drunk after that too...Last night Israel wanted revenge and they got it...We chucked the Slovakia game for nothing.

Agreed, do the celebrating after the remaining 2 games.  We essentially chucked a real opportunity to qualify for the WC.

6 minutes ago, EH11 said:

...or provides an opportunity to paper over the cracks.

The fine lines of sport, had things fallen a fraction for Serbia, I believe Clarke's position would have been under serious pressure.  The last two results are incredibly disappointing, and the Serbia result provides a distraction.  

Agreed, and prior to that a penalty shootout required vs Israel to get there... 

We have what I would say is probably the most talented squad in maybe 20 years but we are not utilising the players correctly and we really do need an out and out striker.

part_time_jambo

It seems nothing has really changed with Scotland - beat Czech Republic home and away but still finish below them in the group. I recall the same happened with France some years ago.

Too many bad results against "lesser" teams. and until that issue is addressed we will always be second best (at best).