• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Hearts007

• Greedy Jambo

• iantjambo

SomethingAboutObua

2-0 to us, controversial decision to go 2-0 up that totally changed the game because Arbroath were really growing into the game and could've equalised but big bad Hearts influenced the referee because they're bigger. Expecting something like that. 

5-1. Subliminal message to the cabbages.

Anyone know what's happened to portobello jambo?  Don't seem to have heard from him for ages.

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, BigAlim said:

Robbies former team mate Jason Thomson plays for Arbroath, lads made a whole career for himself in that league 

And good luck to him, though obviously not tomorrow. The sort of player who showed a good attitude but was never quite good enough to hold down a regular place at Tynecastle. He was actually almost 25 before he left us, spending several years as a fringe first team player, but then six years as a regular at Raith Rovers (presumably full time) and the last two at Arbroath. I see Jamie Brandon as quite like Jason Thomson and suspect his career  will follow a similar path.

Who (like me) was at the 7-0 horsing we gave them on Christmas Eve 1977 at the windiest place on gods earth? Cracking day out full of the festive cheer and if I recall the pubs didn't know what hit them. Not a bit of bother, just hunners o Jambos in festive spirits before the game, and like a bairn with a new toy from Santa after it. 

Happy days/Not happy days (we were generally she ite in them days ...)

12 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

And good luck to him, though obviously not tomorrow. The sort of player who showed a good attitude but was never quite good enough to hold down a regular place at Tynecastle. He was actually almost 25 before he left us, spending several years as a fringe first team player, but then six years as a regular at Raith Rovers (presumably full time) and the last two at Arbroath. I see Jamie Brandon as quite like Jason Thomson and suspect his career  will follow a similar path.

I didn't actually realise he played his first three games for us under Robbo in 2005 and didn't get released until 2012. The lad nearly saw out the whole Romanov era, must have some stories to tell.

Carl Fredrickson

I am normally a pessimist but I am confident about tomorrow. This means we will struggle. 

Hopefully the same starting 11 as last week to allow the team time to gel.  

The Treasurer

This game will tell us a lot about the players mental attitude.

It would be easy to be up for the scumdee game. 

First game of the season, against one of our main challengers, who had shafted us big time and at Tynecastle (even though it was BCD).

Very different story at a crappy wee ground in poor conditions against a small unfancied team who will be focused on damage limitation.

This is where the players will have to get stuck in and not think they just need to turn up 

1 hour ago, HMFC01 said:

Anyone think we might be wearing the third kit for this match?   The all black with maroon trimming.   Or the away blue strip with alternate shorts, except maroon.  Thinking of a colour clash. 

We'll probably just use the away kit with maroon shorts. 

There won't be a clash as Arbroath wear white shorts in their kit combination, or at least they are this season:

Raith-Rovers-3-0-Arbroath.jpg

Last week's game v Raith Rovers. 

0C1A4334.jpg

Preseason v Formartine. 

Edited by tian447

5 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Friday 23rd October 2020 at 19:45.

Away to Arbroath at Gayfield Park.

Round 2 of the 2020/21 Scottish Championship.

Live on BBC Scotland. Coverage from 19:30.

Robbie says Arbroath will be difficult to beakdown as their back 4 are well drilled and have been together for a long time. Despite that they lost their league opener 3-0 to Raith Rovers & got a man sent off. 

I’m going for a 3-0 win for the JT’s. 
Mon the Hearts!!!

Discuss.

Highlights on Raith TV showed that it was all Arbroath until Raith scored.  It could have been 0-3 in the first 20 minutes.

After the first goal the Arbroath keeper looked a bit suspect.

Francis Albert
6 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Friday 23rd October 2020 at 19:45.

Away to Arbroath at Gayfield Park.

Round 2 of the 2020/21 Scottish Championship.

Live on BBC Scotland. Coverage from 19:30.

Robbie says Arbroath will be difficult to beakdown as their back 4 are well drilled and have been together for a long time. Despite that they lost their league opener 3-0 to Raith Rovers & got a man sent off. 

I’m going for a 3-0 win for the JT’s. 
Mon the Hearts!!!

Discuss.

A minor point but since when did league games get categorised  by "round"? Second league game of the season.

I expect  5 and will be disappointed with less than a 4 goal win. We need to dominate this league and be in a strong position if an attempt is made to "call it" which I think is likely at some point given the precedent.

alwaysthereinspirit

I know every game is different but after last weeks demolition of Dundee that’s what we need more of tomorrow night.

Talking goal difference seems weird this early but it’s real.

Very good chance this season doesn’t go 27 games.

3 goal win minimum is what I’m hoping for.

1 hour ago, tian447 said:

There won't be a clash as Arbroath wear white shorts in their kit combination, or at least they are this season:

Thanks.   I was wondering since it was an away match for arbroath v raith.   Had a search for 2020-21 arbroath strips fail.  It kept referring me to past seasons.  Found the recent strip you pointed out eventually but it wasn't clear if it was their home strip.   I think you're right though, it will be basically the blue Away strips for us. 

Get the thermals on,  deep heat on the legs and mustard rubbed on the chests lads!   No excuses.  Stay on top, show your class. 

Disclaimer:  I've never rubbed mustard on my chest but read it's good for you ☺   mibbie best not try it 😲 

Edited by HMFC01

17 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

A minor point but since when did league games get categorised  by "round"? Second league game of the season.

I expect  5 and will be disappointed with less than a 4 goal win. We need to dominate this league and be in a strong position if an attempt is made to "call it" which I think is likely at some point given the precedent.

Ach fair enough FA. Just thought I would try something different this week with all the details first. Thought it would maybe stop the “is it being streamed” questions etc.
This format might even catch on :whistling:

6 hours ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

0-2. Might take a bit to break them down though. 

3 hours ago, andydog said:

I hope we can rack up the goals but i think its unlikely. A professional 2-0 would be a good job well done. Arbroath don't lose many at home. I think they only lost 6 games at home in 2 years and only conceded 10 goals at gayfield last season. It will be freezing cold,  wet, windy (haven't actually checked the weather I'm just assuming because it arbroath), minging pitch and they will sit in and make it difficult.

A completely different kind of game from last week when Dundee would have been thinking that they had the quality up front to compete, Arbroath won't be thinking like that at all. They would be delighted with a 0-0 so they will sit in for as long as we don't score. I would hate this game to go into the second half goalless. 

4 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I know every game is different but after last weeks demolition of Dundee that’s what we need more of tomorrow night.

Talking goal difference seems weird this early but it’s real.

Very good chance this season doesn’t go 27 games.

3 goal win minimum is what I’m hoping for.

Agree every game is different. Dundee was a very open game where we got an early goal. Most teams, especially away, will have 10 men behind the ball.   If we get an early goal in these games we could score a few but there will def be some horrid, frustrating away games.  These are the types of games when this place can go into meltdown.    Hoping for a few goals to build momentum but most import thing is pick up 3 points. 

It will be interesting to see if Robbie has the semi-final on his mind with his selection, we might see some regular starters on the bench.

Francis Albert
9 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

It will be interesting to see if Robbie has the semi-final on his mind with his selection, we might see some regular starters on the bench.

I sincerely hope he doesn't.

14 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I'd argue that it would be more beneficial to have our full team for the semi play in this match

20 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

My thoughts too

12 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

I'd argue that it would be more beneficial to have our full team for the semi play in this match

There’s an 8 day gap before the Cup Semi... anybody rested against Arbroath will have had a 15 day gap after the Dundee game. It’s game time rather than rest that our players need.

Ainsley Harriott
4 hours ago, Mort said:

I hope we stick to a very similar starting 11. Allow the defence and GK to build rapport.

Agree absolutely  no need in making any changes from a week ago unless forced 

40 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

He's said from the start winning the league is priority.   Strongest side possible and build up match sharp for Halloween. 

4 hours ago, Mort said:

I hope we stick to a very similar starting 11. Allow the defence and GK to build rapport.

👍👍

No reason not to when we have 7 days between games and won by 4 clear goals last week.

Think someone should need need to be off form to be dropped when we have that luxury.

The likes of Haring, Halliday and Naismith will get their chance but I'd keep bringing them off the bench for game time until it is necessary to switch.

alwaysthereinspirit
12 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Noted.  I've never like eating fish on a Friday anyways. 

Sounds like a personal choice. So to speak.

2 hours ago, tian447 said:

Raith-Rovers-3-0-Arbroath.jpg

Last week's game v Raith Rovers. 

0C1A4334.jpg

Preseason v Formartine. 

White and maroon vs Maroon and white?

So if we score and overhead kick it'll get scored an OG?

37 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

There’s an 8 day gap before the Cup Semi... anybody rested against Arbroath will have had a 15 day gap after the Dundee game. It’s game time rather than rest that our players need.

This, no need for resting players. 

I'd be fielding the same team and getting a good run out for players needing fitness in the second half

1 minute ago, davie1980 said:

White and maroon vs Maroon and white?

So if we score and overhead kick it'll get scored an OG?

Our away kit is light blue, but don't give the referees any ideas :lol: 

27 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Do we hate Arbroath?  

We hate basically everyone.

It's quicker to remember the names of the 3 teams we don't really mind

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, Class of 75 said:

Smash them, pub team in the extreme. 

I’ve never understood why anybody would want to describe upcoming opponents as a “pub team”. How about “serious professional footballers who happen to be part timers”?

1 hour ago, HMFC01 said:

Thanks.   I was wondering since it was an away match for arbroath v raith.   Had a search for 2020-21 arbroath strips fail.  It kept referring me to past seasons.  Found the recent strip you pointed out eventually but it wasn't clear if it was their home strip.   I think you're right though, it will be basically the blue Away strips for us. 

Get the thermals on,  deep heat on the legs and mustard rubbed on the chests lads!   No excuses.  Stay on top, show your class. 

Disclaimer:  I've never rubbed mustard on my chest but read it's good for you ☺   mibbie best not try it 😲 

You're right, it was hard to find anything about their kits online!  I had to go onto their website and just find a random match report that had pictures,  but image searches were all 2018/19 kits or earlier!

I think they have a white away kit, but I imagine it will be light blue for us, as it's a clearer contrast than black, especially for an evening kick off :thumbsup:

Regardless, I expect to give them an absolute pumping, and I hope they remember that this is what they voted for!

4 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Minging weather. Minging night. Minging team. Any form of win and no injuries will be a positive result for me. 

Very much this. Then a week focusing on battering the tramps. 

7 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

I’ve never understood why anybody would want to describe upcoming opponents as a “pub team”. How about “serious professional footballers who happen to be part timers”?

Or “part-time football players pretending to be professionals”?

Gordon

Smith Halkett Popescu Kingsley 

Haring Halliday

Ginnelly      Walker          Roberts 

Boyce

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Gordon

Smith Halkett Popescu Kingsley 

Haring Halliday

Ginnelly      Walker          Roberts 

Boyce

I like this a lot. Get Haring and Halliday ready for halloween 

1 minute ago, BigAlim said:

I like this a lot. Get Haring and Halliday ready for halloween 

Yep, give Pete 50 mins, give Halliday 75/90.