Craig Wighton Goal Machine!

Danguar

He had just turned 21 when he signed for us. Maybe he has matured since then and that will overcome the perceived confidence issue. He's now just turned 23. Hopefully a chance to make an impact. The same fans who lament our inability to identify the hidden gems and late developers in the lower leagues expect our own players to be finished product at 21.

Happy to go with Neilson's assessment that he is now ready to be a significant part of the team. It's still not like we are starting the season with him as our number one striker.

Still no sign of the fabled siege mentality from posters that was talked about so much over the summer. Unless the siege tactics is to stand on the barricades and aim inwards. Presumably 'Only Hearts' can be expanded to 'I Only come on to jkb to slaughter everything about Hearts'. The level of negativity is getting painful.

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Beast Boy

• Gorgie Boot boy

• Bazzas right boot

Franksluckypants

As most of us have seen him in action before, it's hard to give him a totally 'clean slate' start again, though that would be best for him and his confidence. (I really hope to be proved wrong). 

BCD will definitely help & good luck to him.

In the meantime can we please sign a 100% fit ready to go striker that provides competition to Boyce and not just a fingers crossed backup in the form of CW...

Two things re Wighton. Firstly in the clip v Burnley he certainly looked as though he had filled out and secondly maybe he was yet another player who did not like our style of play, getting played out of position and be asked to do things that were not in their game. Olly Lee fell out with Levein for that very reason and I know for a fact he was not the only one.

He has rarely looked like a professional footballer let alone a guy we should rely on to hit the ground running and power our way through this season.

This is completely mental.

Leveins Battalion

Folk defending Wighton have completely lost the plot.

Playing behind closed doors should help him?Geez peace!!:vrface:

He should of been one of the 1st names out the door,god forbid Boyce picks up an injury.

Heart of Darkness

Give him a run of games, hopefully build his confidence & score goals. If it doesn't out work this time, it's probably time to realise that the injury has had a bigger mental effect on his ability and it will never work out. 

This is familiar. Jack Hamilton-esque even. "Well we aren't signing anyone else in this position so lets persist with this diddy". He's been here two years, had 22 appearances, scored zilch. I guess this is where we are at.

5 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

He should of been one of the 1st names out the door,god forbid Boyce picks up an injury.

it’s all a bit disappointing and concerning if I’m being honest 

Bazzas right boot

He may or may not be the future but will Likley do well at this level. 

No fans, gets a wee run and a few goals, who knows, he may develop into a decent player-he's still young. 

On the other hand, he may continue to be utterly ineffective, either way we'll still win the league. 

While he's wearing the famous Jersey it would be better to support him rather than slag him tho. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

11 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I think Robbie knows more about football and the ability of a player than you or I.

I'm happy to see how he gets on this season.

Robbie signed Connor Sammon and Juwon Oshaniwa. Let's not pretend he has not signed some awful players on lucrative contracts.

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, westbow said:

This is familiar. Jack Hamilton-esque even. "Well we aren't signing anyone else in this position so lets persist with this diddy". He's been here two years, had 22 appearances, scored zilch. I guess this is where we are at.

Tbh Not far of f. 

It is our job is to get out of the Championship, guys like Wighton will be useful at this level and will help us achieve that. 

We won't be attracting too much quality giving our position. 

1 hour ago, Mister Dee said:

He’s a lucky laddie to her another chance. 
Personally, I would have freed him. 

If there is a player in there, Robbie will have his work cut out getting goals out of him. 
He looks a neat and tidy player, but had zero confidence in front of goal. 

I agree. Sadly I think it is all down to finance and we have to use the remaining players we have on the books.

Robbie is no doubt trying to talk the guy up - but remember he did the same with Jack Hamilton telling us he was always going to be his number one choice when Levein made an arse of the goalkeeping situation.

Hopefully Wighton will prove us all wrong but sorry I just can’t see it.

When does transfer window shut for us. He prob been told he got 6/7 games to prove himself . League cup and 1st few league games . What a manager says to the press and what he says to a player are not always the same. Maybe just wants to see what he made off before making a decision.  Robbie is no fool and if he does not produce he wont last. 

26 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Tbh Not far of f. 

It is our job is to get out of the Championship, guys like Wighton will be useful at this level and will help us achieve that. 

We won't be attracting too much quality giving our position. 

I think that is the best we can hope for, that he is this season's James Keatings.

I don't know why everyone is so against the boy. How about giving him a chance and supporting him? 

He was hardly the only one that has been dugshit. Every single player that played last season were utter keek. 

New manager, clean slate for everyone, surely? 

Ainsley Harriott
2 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Hope it works out for him with us, but if you can't perform in front of supporters, pro football isn't for you.

It might be from 2020 onwards 

Edited by Ainsley Harriott

5 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

It might be from 2020 onwards 

I think that, thankfully, attitudes are changing. Germans letting fans in, Japanese lifting the limit on fans as well. We're getting there, unfortunately for Craig. 

2 hours ago, cosanostra said:

He has rarely looked like a professional footballer let alone a guy we should rely on to hit the ground running and power our way through this season.

This is completely mental.

Agree with this. I'd be delighted to be proven wrong, but based on what we've seen of the guy he's an utterly dugshit footballer. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

I think that is the best we can hope for, that he is this season's James Keatings.

Or Reilly, Shankland, wynass, Cummings, etc 

Edited by Smith's right boot

We're skint so it makes sense to keep some championship level shite for this season. There should be a solid enough core of better players to carry them this season. 

But **** me, I'll be glad when we get the **** out of this league and can bin these kind of huddies. 

Guest ToqueJambo

Everyone deserves a second chance, or in Wighton's case at us a first proper chance. Maybe he's an arm around the shoulder player who needs the manager to have confidence in him which Levein never seemed. And was he ever played as a striker for us?

Anyhow, 3 goals in his last 5 games before shutdown and 1 pre season against an EPL defence makes him the most prolific striker currently on our books. We've seen this so many times before with players written off who come good. As others say, judging by the comments on here no fans at games should help him.

Edited by ToqueJambo

It's easy to tear into any decision out of context.  Starting up front, barring injury, will be Liam Boyce.  Boyce is one of the best strikers in Scotland outside of the old firm.  We've got Naismith who is one of the national team's first choice strikers.

Wighton is back up.  Robbie is saying that he has faith in Wighton to do a job for us this year, what does anyone expect the manager to say?

Additional context - I'd be surprised if we didn't sign another striker before the window closes.  If we don't sign anyone then it'll be down to a number of factors - cost, balance of squad, view to getting promoted with what we have and then getting better,

Guest ToqueJambo
41 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I think that, thankfully, attitudes are changing. Germans letting fans in, Japanese lifting the limit on fans as well. We're getting there, unfortunately for Craig. 

On the other hand, New Zealand who were miles ahead of everyone in controlling COVID had full stadiums and now don't again.

57 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I don't know why everyone is so against the boy. How about giving him a chance and supporting him? 

He was hardly the only one that has been dugshit. Every single player that played last season were utter keek. 

New manager, clean slate for everyone, surely? 

Pissing into the wind.  I expect their are a few on here calling the boy dogsh*t without even seeing him play.

SomethingAboutObua

It's been said second hand multiple times from different people that he's one of the best in training but in matches he just can't do it. I have to say, right now I would still find it hard to believe he's not just another Calum Elliot/Jamie Mole/Juho Makela/Gary Glen etc type. Would of course love to be wrong but so far in his career he's basically backed up every criticism of himself.

But if he turns out to be Keatings-esque, excellent in championship but doesn't do it in the top flight then I'd still be really happy to have him this season.

He'll do fine in this league I'm sure, we'll need better when we go back up though

Should have kept clevid and boz for the same reason imo

Guest ToqueJambo
11 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

He'll do fine in this league I'm sure, we'll need better when we go back up though

Should have kept clevid and boz for the same reason imo

I would have liked to have kept Bozanic as well, and Clare and Uche. Clare and Uche maybe had clauses to go if there was interest and we got fees. Plus their wages would have been higher. Boz just happened to be out of contract when covid hit I think. Wighton is cheap and he's fine for the championship. If he gains confidence and form he's still young enough to kick on for the Premiership. Even now he still has more Scottish Premiership goals than Lawrence Shankland.

Neil Dongcaster
1 hour ago, Normthebarman said:

We're skint so it makes sense to keep some championship level shite for this season. There should be a solid enough core of better players to carry them this season. 

But **** me, I'll be glad when we get the **** out of this league and can bin these kind of huddies. 

Im not sure we are skint tbh.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

If Boyce picks up an injury we have Naismith or a guy who scored 3 in 5 in the championship last season and was a standout by all accounts. 

Leveins Battalion
24 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

If Boyce picks up an injury we have Naismith or a guy who scored 3 in 5 in the championship last season and was a standout by all accounts. 

"A standout"

You are getting way way too excited here,I think Lockdown has maybe warped the mind.🙈

If your looking at stats in isolation then Wightons are absolutely honking,strikers of a comparable age like Shankland and Nisbet are night and day compared to the mug we have been lumbered with.

He's been an awful signing and investment so far. Really hoped we would have offloaded him ASAP after his inability to break into the team. 

In the same breath, I'll be delighted if he proves me wrong and bangs them in this coming season. It's a new chapter but he has a lot to prove to win me over, based on previous appearances. 

Ultimately we have to believe in what Robbie tells us. 

I really want Wighton to succeed but honestly cannot see it. I don't think he's got the heart or bottle to live up to his obvious talent in a stadium. We need stronger characters and Neilson can't be constantly having to gee him up because his non-existent confidence has taken another hit. He reminds of Wyness in a way, great player to have if your fans have no expectations, but utterly buckles under any pressure. 

I'd rather we tried a swap deal with Shrewsbury for Cummings tbh. Seems a much stronger character and more likely to be consistent. 

Wighton may well make it, but I don't see it being here. Sorry if that seems harsh. 

Edited by OTT

7 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Craig will likely benefit from not having fans in the stadium

Craig will likely benefit from having "supporters"  in the stadium. 

Edited by JamboAl1965

Been a critic of his and still not filled with confidence but I will be more than happy to eat my own words if need be. Agree with the poster who said lack of a crowd may help him, seemed to help at Arbroath 

The lad is getting a chance to prove himself. It might work or it might not but FFS let's get behind the lad.

I thought we were all supposed to be sticking together? 

All the best Craig. I hope you have a good season. 

Just now, jambogemz said:

The lad is getting a chance to prove himself. It might work or it might not but FFS let's get behind the lad.

I thought we were all supposed to be sticking together? 

All the best Craig. I hope you have a good season. 

nail on head. agree 100%

14 minutes ago, OTT said:

I really want Wighton to succeed but honestly cannot see it. I don't think he's got the heart or bottle to live up to his obvious talent in a stadium. We need stronger characters and Neilson can't be constantly having to gee him up because his non-existent confidence has taken another hit. He reminds of Wyness in a way, great player to have if your fans have no expectations, but utterly buckles under any pressure. 

I'd rather we tried a swap deal with Shrewsbury for Cummings tbh. Seems a much stronger character and more likely to be consistent. 

Wighton may well make it, but I don't see it being here. Sorry if that seems harsh. 

Agree....I think with cut backs RN is having to cajole players and get them “to do a job” in the championship and another rebuild will take place next year.  

Every player, whether the manager genuinely rates them or not, needs to feel the belief in them from the man at the top. Neilson will hope to see a response in time.  Playing in the championship clearly suits players like Wighton as the cross section of players there will be of similar standard most weeks. He’ll feel more comfortable.

Its different coming up against stronger, faster, harder players in the SPL on a weekly basis. It tests your resolve far more and your courage. We’ve had too many players needing an injection of confidence. We need more self managing players not easily put off their stride for the top division when we get back there.  

1 hour ago, Rods said:

12 goals this season bookmark this post

I think he'll do well too. He'll get plenty chances in front of goal with the style Neilson is going for again, and once he nets a few his confidence will grow.