Top Posters In This Topic

• Smoked-Glass

• Mikey1874

• Gizmo

• neilnunb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Halfway stage of the second edition of the Nations League. As with all football it has suffered from the lack of fans in the stadium, and general covid-related disruption, including the overlap between the end of the last tournament and the beginning of this one. But overall I think it is proving a success again. Close games between teams of comparable quality, which are played as competitive fixtures not glorified friendlies as some predicted. With only first place in the group rewarded it is leading to interesting league tables. Relegation is an interesting addition to international football and again makes the bottom of the table meaningful. Add in small groups and there is very little certainty at this stage as to how groups will finish. Across the 14 groups only Montenegro in the third tier and Gibraltar (who are in the 3-team group so have only played two games) in the fourth tier are on full points at the half-way stage. In the main Europe/WC qualifiers there are normally several teams on full points across the groups. It has also created genuinely meaningful fixtures for the bottom tier teams for the first time ever.

Current Nations League tables

I was worried when they expanded the top tier leagues from 3 to 4 teams that it was designed to ensure that the biggest teams weren't relegated. I think that was true and has worked. That has taken some of the jeopardy out of the competition which was undeniably exciting. No longer will we see final matches where winning could see you promoted and defeat lead to relegation. At the same time, the slightly bigger groups do make everything a little less random. I'm still on the fence on this change. It probably trades short-term excitement for longer-term credibility.

If Scotland can win our group we are rewarded in five ways.

- The general glory of winning something, even if it is just a group (I still hold to the idea that the primary purpose of sport is to win or come as high as possible, rather than only worrying about what it qualifies you for).

- We move into the top tier, which comes with its own level of prestige even if we might well be whipping boys (a bit like Huddersfield being in the EPL I guess).

- The results in qualifying will improve our FIFA ranking which the World Cup 2022 qualifying seeding will be based on.

- It potentially gives us another backdoor into the World Cup 2022 qualifier play-offs. The two best Nations League group winners who fail to at least qualify for the play-offs through the main qualifiers will get entry into the play-offs. Given the teams currently looking like winning groups in the top 2 tiers, it seems quite likely that winning a second tier group in the Nations League would be enough to get one of these places if we fail to come in the top 2 of our World Cup qualifying group.

- Being in the top tier for the next edition of the Nations League (played in 2022) should result in an improved seeding for Euro 2024 qualification, as those seedings are based on where you finish in the 2022-23 Nations League.

Overall, quite a lot to be gained from doing well in the Nations League.

I know that some people will never get behind a new competition and argue it is too complicated. When I was young there were people who still regarded the European Championship as a poor imitation of the World Cup and not something to be taken seriously. That is now a pretty fringe view. I think once the Nations League format settles down and people get used to it, it could prove to be a permanent fixture and grow in prominence, even if it remains definitely the third and lesser of the international competitions European teams play in.

I think the format has actually forced us to do what some fans have called for in the past which is to play teams ranked similar to us and try and work our way up the rankings rather than have 'glamour' friendlies against top tier nations. I know Berti said that it was good experience for the players to be up against top players but I was always suspicious that SFA board members just liked the prestige of these games and the hospitality that they could offer their other associates. 

29 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

How good did Serbia look? 🤔

Not that good I'm afraid. Apart from the odd effort here and there they weren't really that much of a threat. Having said that I must say that Hertha Berlin goalie Jarstein was my man of the match as he made some tremendous saves. Lagerbeck did such a good job with the Islandic team but I think he made the wrong decision not playing Jens Petter Hauge (now AC Milan) and Joshua King (Bournemouth) from the start of the game. 

1 hour ago, VikingHeart said:

Not that good I'm afraid. Apart from the odd effort here and there they weren't really that much of a threat. Having said that I must say that Hertha Berlin goalie Jarstein was my man of the match as he made some tremendous saves. Lagerbeck did such a good job with the Islandic team but I think he made the wrong decision not playing Jens Petter Hauge (now AC Milan) and Joshua King (Bournemouth) from the start of the game. 

Good to know Serbia are pish 😂

We played them in 1st game of the new campaign 2012 at hampden and it was a 0-0 stinker.   Was levein right enough 🥵

4 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Good to know Serbia are pish 😂

We played them in 1st game of the new campaign 2012 at hampden and it was a 0-0 stinker.   Was levein right enough 🥵

I guess we both had our shares of misfortunes over the last years. Our countries seem to have a lot in common😄

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Yea GK blameless.     Glad one didn't count lol

The other one at tyne did count but it was an end of season game with nothing much to play for.   Still a pain in the hoop but. 

Neither GK was blameless, losing to Hibs is always painful and said GK was at fault for one and should’ve been two “I hit it well and when I saw he didn’t move his feet quickly enough I knew it was in”. The only real shame about Griffiths losing his shit, and the other two Hibs reprobates is that Scotland could’ve done with them. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

2 hours ago, VikingHeart said:

Worth noting they rested a few players as well.

1 hour ago, VikingHeart said:

I guess we both had our shares of misfortunes over the last years. Our countries seem to have a lot in common😄

Forgot I think they won their home game v us later in the campaign. 

1 hour ago, Heres Rixxy said:

It was a pretty dull affair so that makes sense.

12 hours ago, Heres Rixxy said:

Against Norway ?

Serbia changed some of the personnel for the Hungary defeat but I think they had a pretty strong line up against the Norwegians.

Still expect Serbia to have too much for us.

13 minutes ago, Midloth_Iain said:

Against Norway ?

Serbia changed some of the personnel for the Hungary defeat but I think they had a pretty strong line up against the Norwegians.

Still expect Serbia to have too much for us.

But how will they get through our clean sheet fortress 🤪

15 minutes ago, rubyruby said:

Under 21s playing right now....1-0 up so far,Fraser Hornby.Need to get him in 1st team 

assuming i have got the right game we are now 3-0 up at half time, irving is in the starting XI. but remember we are playing san marino

manaliveits105

I see SFA are still running with their strap line NOTHING MATTERS MORE 

only these idiots during a pandemic !

or are they referring to their salaries 

Rudiger with a ridiculous elbow in the Germany v switzerland match.  Ref looking at it, clear from the replay, not sure what refs thinking.  Think it was injury time, can't find a vid yet. 

Finland have fans at their game.  Quite a lot by looks of it.   Their playing Ireland the now.  8000 Finland fans going by the news. 

8,000 fans in the ground

Let’s not forget that Finland will have the backing of 8,000 socially-distanced home supporters in Helsinki this evening.

"UEFA recently ruled that stadiums could be 30% full for internationals if local rules permitted and Finland’s relatively low rate of coronavirus cases allows them to avail of that rule tonight." 

They don't look socially distanced to me. 

Edited by HMFC01

25 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Finland have fans at their game.  Quite a lot by looks of it.   Their playing Ireland the now.  8000 Finland fans going by the news. 

8,000 fans in the ground

Let’s not forget that Finland will have the backing of 8,000 socially-distanced home supporters in Helsinki this evening.

"UEFA recently ruled that stadiums could be 30% full for internationals if local rules permitted and Finland’s relatively low rate of coronavirus cases allows them to avail of that rule tonight." 

They don't look socially distanced to me. 

To be fair, social distancing is a way of life in Finland. 

______________Marshall

McTominay__Gallagher__Considine

O'Donnell__Jack__McGinn__Taylor

______Fraser__Dykes__McLean

keep the hibs pish out of it please

14 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

To be fair, social distancing is a way of life in Finland. 

A mate was travelling around scandinavia with work and was hugely amused that Norwegians and Swedes think about Finns the way Londoners think of Scots, mad, violent, and drunk. He had a great time there. 

Hopefully Scotland make it 6 out of 6. Hat trick of wins for Hearts and Scotland. 

:jambobanana:

Edited by ri Alban

53 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

______________Marshall

McTominay__Gallagher__Considine

O'Donnell__Jack__McGinn__Taylor

______Fraser__Dykes__McLean

keep the hibs pish out of it please

20201014_182737.jpg

Riddley Walker
4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

20201014_182737.jpg

Happy with that. Would have picked McLean over Jack but apart from that team picked itself.

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

A mate was travelling around scandinavia with work and was hugely amused that Norwegians and Swedes think about Finns the way Londoners think of Scots, mad, violent, and drunk. He had a great time there. 

The Finns I know don’t see themselves as Scandinavian. Living there must be interesting but they seem more interested in Basketball than Football. 

23 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The Finns I know don’t see themselves as Scandinavian. Living there must be interesting but they seem more interested in Basketball than Football. 

I think ice hockey is the most popular sport in Finland. I met two Finns in a bar a couple of years ago that wanted to buy me a beer and talk with them at their table after I mentioned that Finland had just won the world championship in Hockey. I turned down their offer as they were a tad suspious. Later on when I passed their table after being served at the bar they're were trying to impress some petite asian women without really succeeding in a disgusting way which to me proved that these guys were truly dodgy. I happily went back to the lads telling them about the intercultural meeting. Needless to say they provided the entertainment for next hour or so. Having said that I've also met some decent Finns as especially the Swedish speaking Finns sometimes go to Norway to work as most Swedes/Danes and Norwegians can somewhat understand each other.     

31 minutes ago, theshed said:

How the hell did those 3 hibs players get in the squad? 

Let's hope they don't hibs it for you guys🤞