Striker required

NB GIN

3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I may be wrong but I can't imagine there will be many free scoring strikers just waiting to be loaned out.  Any names come to mind?

Start with Everton and work down. 

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Greedy Jambo

• busby1985

• jr ewing

Franksluckypants

It doesn't really take much insight or mystic Meg powers of observation to predict that there is little or no chance of Boyce & Naismith remaining fully fit for 27 league plus cup matches, with a fairly high likelihood that their injuries will coincide.

CW will be our go to guy...

We absolutely need another striker!

1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

Start with Everton and work down. 

That's a name certainly but I was hoping Mitch would be able to provide the names(s) of a free scoring striker(s) who would be available to come on loan.  Maybe you could help.

We're not past the first three Cup games yet.  A nervy first game saw a lot of mistakes spread across the team.   

I think the shot onto the cross bar was unfortunate from cw.  Apart from that he had a really good game. 

If an outstanding player became available to us and we could afford it i am sure we would sign one.  

I think once we get past the first nine games, if we're good we won't need one.  If we're struggling then it becomes a priority. 

2 hours ago, jambonian said:

Yes it might be fine for the Championship but we have Cup competitions to take part in also. It was fairly evident to me watching the Inverness game we are in need of an out and out striker. A few good crosses came into the box yet too often there was no-one there to receive them. And that's against a weakened Inverness team. Against Premier opposition in Cup games later in the tournaments this could be our downfall. Can't rely on Boyce doing it, can't guarantee he'll stay fit. Same with Naismith which leaves Wighton who's never set the heather on fire. 

I don't disagree that this squad should be good enough for the Championship, however there's more to the season than the Championship. Also need another solid defender in. Souttar injured long-term, Berra injured and the young lad that went on loan leaves only Halkett who's not a natural defender and the ex-St Mirren guy Popescu. Smith can fill in but then that weakens the right-back area. Even someone on a short-term deal would do for now.

Whisper it but I don't think we are seriously thinking of entering the cups as anything other than a Championship club. I don't really expect us to be going past the QFs in this year's cups. Buying extra strikers just for the cups is a bit daft...

SomethingAboutObua
29 minutes ago, MTS1874 said:

I’m sure John Murray will have a hidden gem in his Striker Folder 👍

The question is where has he hidden the folder all these years

39 minutes ago, MTS1874 said:

Don’t count on it.

10 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

The question is where has he hidden the folder all these years

The hidden gem will have retired by now. 

6 hours ago, MTS1874 said:

Jamie Mole can't be too old to come back? We do love a rumour and a clamour for an ex-player. You heard it here first. Return of the Mole.

7 hours ago, JamboAndrew said:

Jamie Mole can't be too old to come back? We do love a rumour and a clamour for an ex-player. You heard it here first. Return of the Mole.

Underrated player. Good in the hole 

19 hours ago, Franksluckypants said:

It doesn't really take much insight or mystic Meg powers of observation to predict that there is little or no chance of Boyce & Naismith remaining fully fit for 27 league plus cup matches, with a fairly high likelihood that their injuries will coincide.

What makes you think Boyce can't remain fit for 27 games? A cruciate injury in 2018?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
18 hours ago, MTS1874 said:

Yup, 20 mins on YouTube this morning, four year deal.

On 07/10/2020 at 14:15, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Sorry mate that is irrelevant to the standard of player in Scottish football.

On 07/10/2020 at 14:03, hmfc_liam06 said:

We don't play "modern football" in Scotland.

On 07/10/2020 at 13:47, Debut 4 said:

That’s ok at their level with faster, stronger , more intelligent players. 

They probably don’t worry about it but it’s contributed to the dying art of centre forward play, it hurts teams more at our level who try to replicate the way top sides play, because you see our play not quite being good enough or competent.

Boyce is the closest at the moment to a proper CF.  We need that guy hanging around the penalty area, not doing most his work outside it.  You look at last night.  While I thought we slipped the ball about well at times, most balls after getting it wide were more hopeful bar the odd one being more particular into someone.  

Quite happy the way we pushed men into the box, it’s been a long time coming! but we need to be more clever and subtle when we get around the box.  Seemed a bit rushed at times.  

I agree that it's different with elite level players, but I think there's still validity to my point. If there was no tactical subtlety to the game in Scotland everyone would be playing 4-4-2 with two strikers up front.

Playing with two wingers and two out and out strikers would likely leave us quite exposed at the back.

8 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Yup, 20 mins on YouTube this morning, four year deal.

Behind Henderson’s two year deal.👍

25 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

What makes you think Boyce can't remain fit for 27 games? A cruciate injury in 2018?

Yeah, he's played over 100 games in two years since returning from that injury.

9 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Yeah, he's played over 100 games in two years since returning from that injury.

I have no idea where this notion that Boyce is injury prone has come from.

18 hours ago, MTS1874 said:

Like he did with Beattie? Hope so.

2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I said the same thing weeks/months ago. I asked the question as opposed to stating he wasn’t though, because I simply didn’t know the answer. It seems to have become established fact that he is injury prone though. 🤷‍♂️

26 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

He may not be but folk will be thinking that with our luck our key players are bound to get injured. It’s not unreasonable the way things have gone recently. If Boyce can avoid that jinx then he will have a great season.

jamboinglasgow
34 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

I said the same thing weeks/months ago. I asked the question as opposed to stating he wasn’t though, because I simply didn’t know the answer. It seems to have become established fact that he is injury prone though. 🤷‍♂️

I had a look at Transfermarkt just to see his injury history, the five seasons before his cruciate injury he missed 10 games (so 2 games missed a season.)  6 of games missed was due to a fractured hand that happened over the new year/January period, when games come thick and fast. So hardly injury prone.

38 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

This is taken from TransferMarket.

NJURY HISTORY
  •  Injury history, suspensions and absences are based on a variety of media reports and are researched with the greatest of care. If you should notice an error regardless, please use the correction form. To the correction form

Season Injury from until Days Games missed
17/18 Cruciate Ligament Rupture Aug 1, 2017 Jan 29, 2018 181 days 32Burton Albion
16/17 Knee Injury Oct 1, 2016 Oct 24, 2016 23 days 3Ross County FC
15/16 Hand Injury Mar 26, 2016 Apr 1, 2016 6 days -
15/16 Fractured Hand Dec 29, 2015 Jan 30, 2016 32 days 6Ross County FC
14/15 Knee Injury Mar 11, 2015 Mar 18, 2015 7 days 1Ross County FC

Hectormasson
20 hours ago, Franksluckypants said:

Or two ?

3 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

NJURY HISTORY
  •  Injury history, suspensions and absences are based on a variety of media reports and are researched with the greatest of care. If you should notice an error regardless, please use the correction form. To the correction form

17/18 Cruciate Ligament Rupture Aug 1, 2017 Jan 29, 2018 181 days 32Burton Albion

So, we can take out the 38 days for the hand injury straight off the bat.

The knee injury needs more details, same knee? 

Same with the cruciate. Same one? Recurring thing?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
8 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

NJURY HISTORY

The cruciate was a bad one and can have long term effects but I wouldn’t call that injury prone.

If Shighton isn’t up to being third choice in the Championship then questions need to be asked about how on earth that deal was sanctioned. 

As an aside, is John Murray still at the club? ****ing hope not 

Boyce played in 43 games last season so quite clearly he'll be unable to manage a 27 game championship season

2 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Boyce played in 43 games last season so quite clearly he'll be unable to manage a 27 game championship season

Wage feef

6 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The cruciate was a bad one and can have long term effects but I wouldn’t call that injury prone.

If Shighton isn’t up to being third choice in the Championship then questions need to be asked about how on earth that deal was sanctioned. 

What if he was to bring in another Craig Beattie though? 🤷‍♂️

14 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

So, we can take out the 38 days for the hand injury straight off the bat.

The knee injury needs more details, same knee? 

Same with the cruciate. Same one? Recurring thing?

Now this is a player who is injury prone.

Injury history, suspensions and absences are based on a variety of media reports and are researched with the greatest of care. If you should notice an error regardless, please use the correction form. To the correction form

20/21 Achilles tendon rupture Aug 22, 2020 - 48 days 1Heart of Midlothian FC
19/20 Achilles tendon rupture Mar 1, 2020 Jun 30, 2020 121 days 7Heart of Midlothian FC
19/20 Ankle Surgery Oct 3, 2019 Jan 1, 2020 90 days 15Heart of Midlothian FC
19/20 Ankle Injury Aug 4, 2019 Oct 2, 2019 59 days 9Heart of Midlothian FC
18/19 Hip Injury Oct 12, 2018 Jan 20, 2019 100 days 15Heart of Midlothian FC
18/19 Knock Oct 11, 2018 Oct 18, 2018 7 days -
17/18 Knock May 7, 2018 May 21, 2018 14 days 2Heart of Midlothian FC
17/18 Knock Feb 26, 2018 Mar 2, 2018 4 days 1Heart of Midlothian FC
17/18 Concussion Nov 3, 2017 Nov 24, 2017 21 days 2Heart of Midlothian FC
16/17 Achilles tendon rupture Jan 29, 2017 Jul 28, 2017 180 days 22Heart of Midlothian FC
14/15 Knee Injury Dec 18, 2014 Feb 28, 2015 72 days 13Dundee United FC
14/15 Ankle Injury Aug 1, 2014 Nov 4, 2014 95 days 14Dundee United FC
13/14 Ill May 7, 2014 May 12, 2014 5 days 1Dundee United FC
13/14 Achilles tendon problems Feb 20, 2014 Mar 15, 2014 23 days 5Dundee United FC

7 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

You have to remember 'injury prone' has a totally different meaning on here 

If we do recruit another centre forward can we at least get someone with a full head of hair and not another Benny Hill type fall guy.

11 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Whisper it but I don't think we are seriously thinking of entering the cups as anything other than a Championship club. I don't really expect us to be going past the QFs in this year's cups. Buying extra strikers just for the cups is a bit daft...

Why? 

Just because we've been demoted (not relegated) it doesn't mean we shouldn't bother with Cup competitions. We are a Premier club who's had a bad deal handed to us. We've been lumbered with the Championship. I don't think people like Boyce, Smith, Kingsley and others would be at Hearts if they didn't want to be as successful as possible. And if Hibs can win the Scottish Cup for the first time in 114 years when they were in the Championship then why shouldn't anyone else? The squad we have at the moment given the right fitness level would be a match for two thirds of the Premier so one more striker and a defender could make all the difference. The further we get in the competitions the more cash we make which is what we'll need if we get back up into the Premier for better players. I'm not saying we'll go on to win a trophy, far from it, however i'd like us to get as far as possible and screw as much cash out of it as possible. It's the least we deserve.

2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Now this is a player who is injury prone.

Injury history, suspensions and absences are based on a variety of media reports and are researched with the greatest of care. If you should notice an error regardless, please use the correction form. To the correction form

20/21 Achilles tendon rupture Aug 22, 2020 - 48 days 1Heart of Midlothian FC
19/20 Achilles tendon rupture Mar 1, 2020 Jun 30, 2020 121 days 7Heart of Midlothian FC
19/20 Ankle Surgery Oct 3, 2019 Jan 1, 2020 90 days 15Heart of Midlothian FC
19/20 Ankle Injury Aug 4, 2019 Oct 2, 2019 59 days 9Heart of Midlothian FC
18/19 Hip Injury Oct 12, 2018 Jan 20, 2019 100 days 15Heart of Midlothian FC
18/19 Knock Oct 11, 2018 Oct 18, 2018 7 days -
17/18 Knock May 7, 2018 May 21, 2018 14 days 2Heart of Midlothian FC
17/18 Knock Feb 26, 2018 Mar 2, 2018 4 days 1Heart of Midlothian FC
17/18 Concussion Nov 3, 2017 Nov 24, 2017 21 days 2Heart of Midlothian FC
16/17 Achilles tendon rupture Jan 29, 2017 Jul 28, 2017 180 days 22Heart of Midlothian FC
14/15 Knee Injury Dec 18, 2014 Feb 28, 2015 72 days 13Dundee United FC
14/15 Ankle Injury Aug 1, 2014 Nov 4, 2014 95 days 14Dundee United FC
13/14 Ill May 7, 2014 May 12, 2014 5 days 1Dundee United FC
13/14 Achilles tendon problems Feb 20, 2014 Mar 15, 2014 23 days /5Dundee United FC

john soutter?

The Future's Maroon
14 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

john soutter?

Pretty positive the question mark isn’t required as obvious it’s JS 😉

4 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Pretty positive the question mark isn’t required as obvious it’s JS 😉

True! poor bugger

7 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Trace back to source and you'll find out where.

Unless anybody leaves we will not bring in another player. MacDonald had to go to get Kingsley in. However I could see cochrane/Moore etc going out on loan which may free up space 

4 hours ago, jambonian said:

Why? 

Just because we've been demoted (not relegated) it doesn't mean we shouldn't bother with Cup competitions. We are a Premier club who's had a bad deal handed to us. We've been lumbered with the Championship. I don't think people like Boyce, Smith, Kingsley and others would be at Hearts if they didn't want to be as successful as possible. And if Hibs can win the Scottish Cup for the first time in 114 years when they were in the Championship then why shouldn't anyone else? The squad we have at the moment given the right fitness level would be a match for two thirds of the Premier so one more striker and a defender could make all the difference. The further we get in the competitions the more cash we make which is what we'll need if we get back up into the Premier for better players. I'm not saying we'll go on to win a trophy, far from it, however i'd like us to get as far as possible and screw as much cash out of it as possible. It's the least we deserve.

What makes us a Premier Club? - the crowds. This year no club has fans. It is a big leveller. Robbie's job is first to get us promoted - he may not even be able to control that - however he should be able to get us top of the Championship. We can do that with what we have. We don't need to pay the wages of another striker for a year just to play cup games...This season we will make do with what we have and get extra firepower once we are back in the SPL. Boyce, Naismith, Wighton, Walker and Halkett with others chipping in should be able to provide enough goals for the League.

Hibs spent a good chunk of the last decade in the Championship. They didn't seem to be very good at getting out of it. I'd far rather we just got our asses out again, and gave the cups a crack, but signing extra strikers in order to try for the cups this season is daft.

Edited by Spellczech

7 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Another year, another manager not signing a decent striker, it's all a bit predictable. 

Our last 2 managers signed decent strikers.

Greedy Jambo
1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Our last 2 managers signed decent strikers.

Only on Paper, they didn't produce. (Boyce still has time to show his worth)

We need to find young blood, quick agile players with a hunger and an eye for goal. 

Our scouting is miserable at best. 

10 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Another year, another manager not signing a decent striker, it's all a bit predictable. 

How many decent strikers are we supposed to have this level? :lol:

We've got a career goal machine and a Scotland striker, with a run of the mill third choice and we haven't even seen what Roberts is like up there. Can play Walker with any one of these guys and he'll take opportunities as well

Greedy Jambo
3 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

How many decent strikers are we supposed to have this level? :lol:

We've got a career goal machine and a Scotland striker, with a run of the mill third choice and we haven't even seen what Roberts is like up there. Can play Walker with any one of these guys and he'll take opportunities as well

1 would be nice. 

Wighton is a laugh

Naismith now seems to be a midfielder at the end of his career

Roberts is not a striker

It's pretty much all down to Boyce now and he didn't want the #9 jersey. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo