Best band ever?

Strummerville

SpruceBringsteen

Saw this thread and went through every permutation. Best song? Best album? Best look? Best band ever?

I'll go with these guys.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• Victorian

• Cruyff

• Unknown user

25 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I'm surprised too because a couple have already.  :D

Moral of the story. Read the thread properly Findlay.

Anyways currently doing my ironing, and watching a documentary I recorded on Sky Arts last night about Pink Floyd's making of their album wish you were here(1975). Brilliant and fascinating acting to me. Shine on you crazy diamond. Tremendous song music and lyrics wise. RIP Syd Barrett.

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Moral of the story. Read the thread properly Findlay.

Anyways currently doing my ironing, and watching a documentary I recorded on Sky Arts last night about Pink Floyd's making of their album wish you were here(1975). Brilliant and fascinating acting to me. Shine on you crazy diamond. Tremendous song music and lyrics wise. RIP Syd Barrett.

Syd Barrett was an influence for many musicians but is often overlooked when people list influential musicians.

9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Syd Barrett was an influence for many musicians but is often overlooked when people list influential musicians.

Agree totally.

3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Surprised that so far I am the person to mention queen on this thread. 

A great band but its hard to pick a classic stand-out studio album, compared to others like Fleetwood Mac, or David Bowie.

14 hours ago, Tott said:

What a shit midfield that was btw..i blame Craig 🙂

Leave me out of it! 

The answer must be The Beatles, surely. Not my favourite ever band (that would probably be Pink Floyd), but in terms of influence they're unsurpassed. Kraftwerk are probably the only others who come near. 

On 26/09/2020 at 09:01, Smithee said:

Anyway, the greatest ever are the Beatles, my favourite are the Kinks.

Nailed it, Smithee. 

On 26/09/2020 at 07:55, Bozi said:

The Clash remain one of the most important bands of all time, not only that you look at the output post-Clash to see how incredible and influential Strummer,Jones and Simonon were. 

Though I am quite contrary with music and it all depends on my mood, I go through phases where I would say The Who or Led Zeppelin, the White Stripes or the Stone Roses. Currently I can't get enough of The Bonnevilles.

I do think special recognition needs to go to The Bad Seeds, they have been able to produce the soundtrack to the insanity contained within Nick Caves head for the best part of 40 years with an unnerving quality 

The Bonnevilles are tremendous. Great studio albums but even better live. Couldn't believe it was just 2 guys when I first saw them! Thought they'd have other band members to play live. 

2 hours ago, Evanauskas said:

The Bonnevilles are tremendous. Great studio albums but even better live. Couldn't believe it was just 2 guys when I first saw them! Thought they'd have other band members to play live. 

I seen them at Leith depot...was unbearably hot but man they were incredible, criminally overlooked imho

1 hour ago, Bozi said:

I seen them at Leith depot...was unbearably hot but man they were incredible, criminally overlooked imho

I was there too! And yes sweltering! Saw them @ the Leith cricket club first time. It was loud in such a small environment. All the albums are outstanding 

16 minutes ago, BudgeUp said:

Metallica with their Magnus Opus being Load (which is a controversial viewpoint among Metallica fans).

Both S&M albums will be timeless.

Metallica, defo worth a mention, still going to. 

29 minutes ago, BudgeUp said:

Metallica with their Magnus Opus being Load (which is a controversial viewpoint among Metallica fans).

Both S&M albums will be timeless.

11 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Metallica, defo worth a mention, still going to. 

Music's entirely subjective of course but metallica's soul died the day they sold out to mainstream rock and released the black album.

**** metallica

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Music's entirely subjective of course but metallica's soul died the day they sold out to mainstream rock and released the black album.

**** metallica

😂 I don't disagree but have you heard todays mainstream music? Painful times. 

9 hours ago, frankblack said:

A great band but its hard to pick a classic stand-out studio album, compared to others like Fleetwood Mac, or David Bowie.

Fair point but as the thread's about great bands and not great albums, they undoubtedly stand IMO.

Such a funny one though, they have an incredible amount of average fillers for one of the true greats.

7 hours ago, martoon said:

Nailed it, Smithee. 

You knows it! ;)

Don't tell anyone, but this is decent when i've got a tenner to spend on white lightning. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

1 minute ago, Greedy Jambo said:

😂 I don't disagree but have you heard todays mainstream music? Painful times. 

No arguments there! Thankfully there'll always be proper talent bursting to be heard under the mainstream, there's always great modern music out there somewhere. 

(Meanwhile I'm sitting here with Beatles' Old Briwn Shoe on :laugh2: )

17 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Small shout out for Guns n Roses, even though they've not released anything decent in years and chinese democracy was horse shit. 

c6a0c84372f2aaaad5a44c663817c321.jpg

:biglaugh:

You've picked a still from one of my "favourite" music videos in that it typifies the overblown production that went into videos eventually. I've not looked at (m)any videos for songs of recent years but believe that after around this time, the record companies must have gone, "whoah, guys! Enough is enough. Why not just have a little clip of the band recording in a studio or walking down the street?"

Videos - a theme for another thread - but the top 3 are:

1. Kate Bush - Babooshka

2. Destination Calabria

3. Sinead O'Connor - Nothing compares 2U (the opposite end of the spectrum from November Rain)

As for best band; it has to be a band that has influenced thousands of others and taken the world of music in new directions. There are bands that I prefer to The Beatles but can't think of another that has had as much influence. 

Girls Aloud a close second, natch. 

Edited by I P Knightley

48 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Talking about influence, Led Zeppelin surely need a mention, Jimmy Page is God to a lot of pro guitarists. 

Much as I love the Zep, and I really don't want to open this particular can of worms, they must surely be discounted on the basis that they ripped off most of their songs from old blues numbers.

17 hours ago, Smithee said:

**** metallica

This all day long.

How any band could fall from Kill' em All, to .........Enter Sandman. Makes me weep

2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

:biglaugh:

You've picked a still from one of my "favourite" music videos in that it typifies the overblown production that went into videos eventually. I've not looked at (m)any videos for songs of recent years but believe that after around this time, the record companies must have gone, "whoah, guys! Enough is enough. Why not just have a little clip of the band recording in a studio or walking down the street?"

Videos - a theme for another thread - but the top 3 are:

1. Kate Bush - Babooshka

2. Destination Calabria

3. Sinead O'Connor - Nothing compares 2U (the opposite end of the spectrum from November Rain)

As for best band; it has to be a band that has influenced thousands of others and taken the world of music in new directions. There are bands that I prefer to The Beatles but can't think of another that has had as much influence. 

Girls Aloud a close second, natch. 

Destination Calabria.....

Up there with Sabrina and "Boys"

6 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Talking about influence, Led Zeppelin surely need a mention, Jimmy Page is God to a lot of pro guitarists. 

Led Zep's an odd one for me. I have most of their albums and listen to them a lot. I had their badges on my jean jacket when I was a kid and I was like a teenager when I met Robert Plant about 10 years ago. I put them way ahead of many other bands and, in fact, they'd probably always be in my top ten.

BUT... I only like about half of their songs.

I think a lot of it comes down to influences IMO. 

Beatles - Different genres

Rolling Stones - Rock Blues 

Led Zep - Rock 

Roxy Music - punk/new wave/80s

Kraftwerk - Electronica

Fleetwood Mac - Soft Rock 

Pink Floyd - Scapes

Bob Dylan - Obviously not a band but you can hear his music in a lot of American bands/musicians. 

David Bowie - Experimental etc and like Roxy/Ferry hugely influential. 

All brilliant and difficult to pick from. 

22 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Much as I love the Zep, and I really don't want to open this particular can of worms, they must surely be discounted on the basis that they ripped off most of their songs from old blues numbers.

And Bert Jansch...

Still think they're great, but they were more shameless than most about not crediting the original writers whose work they, ahem, "referenced".

(Whoops! Did I just open it?!?!?!?   :ermm: )

Edited by Auld Reekin'

4 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

And Bert Jansch...

Still think they're great, but they were more shameless than most about not crediting the original writers whose work they, ahem, "referenced".

(Whoops! Did I just open it?!?!?!?   :ermm: )

White Summer/Black Mountain Side in DADGAD more of a tribute by Pagey but yep, I'd agree because they ripped off a number of tunes and didn't acknowledge the writer, they don't deserve the accolade. Even though if you put all their albums together and look at their live work & original songs, they probably are the greatest rock band ever, just edging Pink Floyd for me. 

But again, it is subjective. I'd say overall you can't look past the Beatles tbh. 

On 27/09/2020 at 21:46, Smithee said:

**** metallica

This. **** Metallica. 

21 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Pearl Jam.

No even the best band from Seattle. :laugh2:

3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

This. **** Metallica. 

No even the best band from Seattle. :laugh2:

C'mon, it's difficult to argue about the longevity and quality. Whi would you say was better from Seattle? Alice in Chains were as good imo but too short lived.

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

C'mon, it's difficult to argue about the longevity and quality. Whi would you say was better from Seattle? Alice in Chains were as good imo but too short lived.

Jimi Hendrix, Heart, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, Alice n Chains.. 

I won't say Nirvana because that would be insulting. :lol:

11 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Jimi Hendrix, Heart, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, Alice n Chains.. 

I won't say Nirvana because that would be insulting. :lol:

Jimi Hendrix aye, Heart?? Behave!

Soundgarden possibly but I prefer Pearl Jam but that's my opinion. Foo Fighters are too pop for me, sort of plastic rock. Loved Alice in Chains as I said but there's not enough material from the Layne Staley era and the  Jerry Cantrell stuff is pish. Nirvana, a couple of good songs on the first album was about it😅

The Damned cannot credibly be suggested as the greatest band but they must be about the greatest band or group of brilliant past & present musicians to have heroically managed to avoid making any money whatsoever or achieve much recognition outside of it's fan base,  big as it is,  and musicians themselves.   Back in the day they were hot property before becoming a hot potato due to the self indulgence and utter mayhem.    Led Zep loved them,  Elvis Costello as well,  despite almost being murdered by Capt.Sensible.   Bolan really rated them and took them as support on a UK tour.   They didn't appear on his TV show due to being banned from UK television for shooting a cameraman with an air rifle.   The Stones welcomed them to New York before they played CBGBs with a gift of drugs,  hookers and cream pies.   Rumour had it that even Lennon liked them.   They have admirers from more recent top acts including Guns n Roses.   The fans' and peers' band.   Most people have barely heard of them.

Edited by Victorian