Best band ever?

Strummerville

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The Damned cannot credibly be suggested as the greatest band but they must be about the greatest band or group of brilliant past & present musicians to have heroically managed to avoid making any money whatsoever or achieve much recognition outside of it's fan base,  big as it is,  and musicians themselves.   Back in the day they were hot property before becoming a hot potato due to the self indulgence and utter mayhem.    

Got to agree with that, an utterly fantastic band and influential. 

As far "influence" goes, The Ramones and Motorhead have to be right up there.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• Victorian

• Cruyff

• Unknown user

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Got to agree with that, an utterly fantastic band and influential. 

As far "influence" goes, The Ramones and Motorhead have to be right up there.

Yep.   The Ramones maybe less so but the likes of The Stooges,  The New York Dolls,   MC5,   Television,   Lou Reed were the inspiration for all the bands who formed Punk in the UK.    Supposedly it wasn't that easy to get to listen to some of these acts in the UK in the mid 70s or so.   Some of them were almost unknown apart from a bit of a cult following.

3 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

Not the "best" but honourable mentions to Blondie (biggest band in the world in their heyday), The Doors and Talking Heads.

Blondie are/were superb. Great live.  Always the mark of great musicians. 

Simple Minds. Another superb live band.

And I watched some of David Bowie live the other day. Just a different gravy.  

3 hours ago, Victorian said:

The Damned cannot credibly be suggested as the greatest band but they must be about the greatest band or group of brilliant past & present musicians to have heroically managed to avoid making any money whatsoever or achieve much recognition outside of it's fan base,  big as it is,  and musicians themselves.   Back in the day they were hot property before becoming a hot potato due to the self indulgence and utter mayhem.    Led Zep loved them,  Elvis Costello as well,  despite almost being murdered by Capt.Sensible.   Bolan really rated them and took them as support on a UK tour.   They didn't appear on his TV show due to being banned from UK television for shooting a cameraman with an air rifle.   The Stones welcomed them to New York before they played CBGBs with a gift of drugs,  hookers and cream pies.   Rumour had it that even Lennon liked them.   They have admirers from more recent top acts including Guns n Roses.   The fans' and peers' band.   Most people have barely heard of them.

The Damned are still big enough to tour the States, and had an influence on a number of 80s and 90s US punk bands.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

The Damned are still big enough to tour the States, and had an influence on a number of 80s and 90s US punk bands.

They played Madison Square Garden not that long ago.   The Albert Hall and The London Palladium bookended that.    They played CBGSs early on and ended up on the west coast and went back after Brian James left.    Said to have been the main influence for west coast punk.

6 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Jimi Hendrix aye, Heart?? Behave!

Soundgarden possibly but I prefer Pearl Jam but that's my opinion. Foo Fighters are too pop for me, sort of plastic rock. Loved Alice in Chains as I said but there's not enough material from the Layne Staley era and the  Jerry Cantrell stuff is pish. Nirvana, a couple of good songs on the first album was about it😅

Hendrix was the best. Still is. Untouchable. 

Defo not Heart. 😂 

I'd say Soundgarden because they are more to my taste but yeah Pearl Jam are up there. 

Amazing that all those bands came from one area in the late 80's/90's. I was going to say the Melvins as well but they are a wee bit further away in Washington state.