English Premier League.

maroonlegions

On 06/03/2021 at 13:17, kila said:

Talk about 'The Curse of the Commentator'?  Immediately prior to that calamity: "It's been a very comfortable day so far defensively for Arsenal". 🤣

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Tazio

• neilnunb

• Maroon Sailor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

gashauskis9
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

I’ve always been a bit baffled by the stick he takes. He was out injured for a long time and did well to come back. He’s shaping up to be a Robbie Neilson/Lewis Stevenson type that never gets praise but somehow manages to see off all competition for their position. 

He came back from injury in poor shape, but he’s worked so so hard under Ole and he’s being repaid for his effort.  

Pasquale for King

Imagine getting beat off Man Utd, at home for the third time in a row, haven’t scored a goal against them this season either. Played Sterling who has NEVER scored in 23 games against them. 
Oh and I swapped out Fernandes for Debruyne in my fantasy team this week 🤬🙈
MAD PEP OOT!!!!!

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

I’ve always been a bit baffled by the stick he takes. He was out injured for a long time and did well to come back. He’s shaping up to be a Robbie Neilson/Lewis Stevenson type that never gets praise but somehow manages to see off all competition for their position. 

He’s not reality had much competition has he? He has Telles this season and now has some great assists and goals. Great finish today, could well be playing against Mctominay and Scotland at the Euros. 

So Mourinho starts playing the forwards the fans have been desperate for. So far 2 goals for Bale, 2 assists and a goal for Kane. 
And helped by Son and Moura not letting the Palace defenders have any time. 

I’m becoming of the opinion when Sky have Super Sunday Souness cracks open a bottle of red at the afternoon match and keeps himself nicely topped up during the day. 

Under the floodlight
On 07/03/2021 at 16:57, Tazio said:

Good on them. Fighting with everything they’ve got to stay up. 

I have mixed feelings on Fulham with regard to loan players. They started the game with more than half of their team made up with loanees .I would be pretty pissed off if our rivals started a game with more loan players than our own club players.

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Under the floodlight said:

I have mixed feelings on Fulham with regard to loan players. They started the game with more than half of their team made up with loanees .I would be pretty pissed off if our rivals started a game with more loan players than our own club players.

Same with Queen of the South - their season has really picked up using the loan system

Under the floodlight
26 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Same with Queen of the South - their season has really picked up using the loan system

Yeah, some team like Morton say, could in effect bring in an aspiring manager with good connections to English premiership and bring in loads of loanees who are paid for by parent clubs and gain promotion over teams that are shelling out their own good money.

Is there a limit as to how many loan players a club can have?

2 hours ago, Under the floodlight said:

The whole landscape of the loan system has changed hugely. It used to be players going to smaller clubs to get experience, now it almost like clubs hire players they may not be able to afford. The last transfer window had loan fees running into the millions publicised. 

Maroon Sailor
12 minutes ago, Under the floodlight said:

Yeah, some team like Morton say, could in effect bring in an aspiring manager with good connections to English premiership and bring in loads of loanees who are paid for by parent clubs and gain promotion over teams that are shelling out their own good money.

Is there a limit as to how many loan players a club can have?

I don't think there is a limit - certainly doesn't appear to be one. 

Think they might need to look at the loan system in general - most of the January transfers are loans as it's more or less used by clubs who are struggling.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Under the floodlight
17 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The whole landscape of the loan system has changed hugely. It used to be players going to smaller clubs to get experience, now it almost like clubs hire players they may not be able to afford. The last transfer window had loan fees running into the millions publicised. 

It worries me to be honest, the big five European leagues top teams hoovering up young talent only to loan them back out to gain experience, then clubs like ours who tend to employ ex players as managers don't have the contact's say managers of other clubs have.

Under the floodlight
26 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I don't think there is a limit - certainly doesn't appear to be one. 

Think they might need to look at the loan system in general - most of the January transfers are loans as it's more or less used by clubs who are struggling.

A review is long overdue.

Read an article today on a Villa page about Steve Bruce saying John McGinn is his best signing (value wise probably) in his 23 year managerial career.

The thing I didn't realise was McGinns grandfather was Celtic chairman at the time? Bruce said he can't believe Villa were able to get him over his "boyhood club".

Maroon Sailor
11 hours ago, 151 said:

Read an article today on a Villa page about Steve Bruce saying John McGinn is his best signing (value wise probably) in his 23 year managerial career.

The thing I didn't realise was McGinns grandfather was Celtic chairman at the time? Bruce said he can't believe Villa were able to get him over his "boyhood club".

McGinn would probably reply in kind saying Bruce was the worse manager in his playing career

How he keeps getting gigs is beyond me. Thought Allardyce was a goner for good before another desperate club brings him out of the cold.

Pulis is another one and I see Mark Hughes is getting some studio time now - maybe a way of getting him back in the minds of desperate owners.

2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Man City 3-1 up at HT to Southampton. The scoreline is oh so cruel on Southampton.

That will be the 6 o'clock kick off....

Footballfirst

5-2 now, with half an hour left. Who knows how many more goals will be scored.

Another VAR farce in the first half when the keeper brought down Foden, but no penalty was given either on or off the park, despite it being a stonewaller.

John Findlay
8 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Another VAR farce in the first half when the keeper brought down Foden, but no penalty was given either on or off the park, despite it being a stonewaller.

Agreed.

Pasquale for King

With Wilder being sacked I wonder if Mcinnes had been tapped up for the Sheffield Utd job?
Got to be better than the caretaker Paul Heckingbottom 😱😂.

19 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

With Wilder being sacked I wonder if Mcinnes had been tapped up for the Sheffield Utd job?
Got to be better than the caretaker Paul Heckingbottom 😱😂.

Hecky will be in charge till the end of the season 😂😂

copa-mundial

Heckingbottom new temporary manager of Sheffield United until the end of the season. 

This his first gig since being punted by the wee team? 

18 hours ago, copa-mundial said:

Heckingbottom new temporary manager of Sheffield United until the end of the season. 

This his first gig since being punted by the wee team? 

And started magnificently losing 5-0

Lamella as usual indulging in a bit of shithousery with opposition players. 
Then continuing his aversion to touching the ball with his right foot decides the easiest way to score is to pop a rabona in from 15 yards through a defenders legs. Love the lad. 

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

He scored an even better rabona a couple of seasons ago. 

I remember that one, was a rabona lob if memory serves me correctly. I think this one is better. To even think about doing it there.

Edit: not quite a lob but it's pretty much how I remember it. This one better IMO.

Edited by Sooperstar

Just now, Sooperstar said:

I remember that one, was a rabona lob if memory serves me correctly. I think this one is better. To even think about doing it there.

He’s pretty interesting to watch during games due to way he’s completely one footed. He’s come up with a whole range of outrageous techniques and ways of using the ball to always use his left foot. Bale does it to a certain extent as well but will use his right if he has no choice. 

Footballfirst
7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

He scored an even better rabona a couple of seasons ago. 

This one?

Compare with today's effort.

Edited by Footballfirst

Just now, Footballfirst said:

This one?

Yep. He’s one of those players fans of other clubs must hate but he’s always good value. 

It’s incredible to think that the dumpling that Andy Driver tore a new one for 90 mins in a national cup final is now playing in the North London derby. 

Just as I write this he lets Tierney jog past him for the equaliser.

2 minutes ago, DS98 said:

It’s incredible to think that the dumpling that Andy Driver tore a new one for 90 mins in a national cup final is now playing in the North London derby. 

Just as I write this he lets Tierney jog past him for the equaliser.

He’s reverted to that dumpling a lot of the time since he left Wolves. 

45 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Wow. 

Dont have an affiliation to either team but Tierney is a wee bellend so mon the Spurs 

Swaggers around like Scott Brown freezing cold and short sleeve top on and the English media LOVE it 🥱

J.T.F.Robertson
11 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

This is dire from Spurs. 

It is.

A derby, yet they've managed to look completely disinterested.

50 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Yep. He’s one of those players fans of other clubs must hate but he’s always good value. 

Arsenal fans probably quite liking him now.

Just now, Sooperstar said:

Arsenal fans probably quite liking him now.

He’s always a safe bet for a card when you’re putting a line on at the bookies. Though to be honest the odds are pretty shite most of the time.