English Premier League.

maroonlegions

I like the new attitude (actually it’s not new, it’s reborn from yesteryear) towards physical play but a foul is still a foul.

It maybe actually highlights how bad refs are, tbh.

• Replies 14.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Tazio

• neilnunb

• Maroon Sailor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just catching the highlights now. Yes it was a foul on Havertz. But the game carried on for a long time after including Chelsea winning the ball back and then giving it away. How far after a bad decision does that continue? 

Bazzas right boot
29 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Just catching the highlights now. Yes it was a foul on Havertz. But the game carried on for a long time after including Chelsea winning the ball back and then giving it away. How far after a bad decision does that continue? 

Until play stops would be a definite and save any grey areas. 

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Souness making a complete ***** of himself. English football is honest, players should be allowed to get stuck in, everybody loves it.

You can't allow wrestling moves like pulling folk to ground by hair.

As for Spurs, manalive is correct. Totally fail to celebrate a 2-2 win. No pitch invasion or lap of honour, they should be embarrassed.

He’s a dinosaur and shouldn’t be anywhere near these programmes. 

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, Boyces beard said:

lol don't really like Spurs or Chelsea but the refs made a right tom hunt of that at the end there.

If yer gonna have hair like that, its gonna get pulled on now and again  :rofl: 

I’m all for a wee tug of a stupid haircut but at least make it look accidental, the ref was looking right at it too 🤦🏽

3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’m all for a wee tug of a stupid haircut but at least make it look accidental, the ref was looking right at it too 🤦🏽

16 hours ago, Tazio said:

the question for me is, was richarlison's positioning while in an offside position in mendys line of sight thus affecting play?

the bigger one for me was the hairpull on cucurella, with the force used i would say it was violent conduct.

it goes to show how poor the officials were as both were missed with them being right next to each incident

periodictabledancer

Great to see Klopp on fine form tonight.

"Why is tonight the perfect opportunity for Darwin Nunez?' (making his debut,).

"Because he's the only striker we've got".

Then proceeds to rip the Sky guy a new one for his poor preparation/ questions 

😂🤣

Liverpool start the game by having 11 shots inside the first 30 minutes. Palace go up the other end and score with their first attempt :rofl: 

7 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Nunez looks like a Morelos hothead type.  Ticking timebomb.

Peach from Diaz.

every team is now going to noise him up as they know he has a good chance of reacting

1 hour ago, periodictabledancer said:

Great to see Klopp on fine form tonight.

"Why is tonight the perfect opportunity for Darwin Nunez?' (making his debut,).

"Because he's the only striker we've got".

Then proceeds to rip the Sky guy a new one for his poor preparation/ questions 

😂🤣

Let's see his cheery disposition at full time.

Arthur Morgan
23 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Wrong foot from Zaha.

Professional footballer at that level and he can't use his other foot 😐

On 15/08/2022 at 01:45, Pasquale for King said:

He’s a dinosaur and shouldn’t be anywhere near these programmes. 

You don't think he should be in his job because he is old? 

Not so much aimed at you PfK but I had to pick you up on this as I see this term thrown around a lot on here.

How can this be acceptable? 

His opinions don't suit the woke and he is old so sack him?

Why is age prejudice accepted? 

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Not all old people are dinosaurs. Souness is though.

Says who tho?

Lots of people like what he has to say.

Sounness can hold his head high as he gets a gig on merit. He is vastly experienced and won many trophies as player and manager. He is not there due to the fact he ticks a box.

22 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Says who tho?

Lots of people like what he has to say.

Doesn't mean he's not outdated...lots of people are and probably share his views.

I don't mind him, he's like someone's grandad and his first use of it "being a man's game" was fine and they could have had a laugh about it, but he kept going. Then when he was explaining to Carney the impact the game has on strikers it was just cringey. This is a guy who hasn't played the game for over 30 years, he knows absolutely nothing of the game today and what impact things have on players today. Carney was still playing just 3 years ago.

This Souness thing is ridiculous.

He used a phrase that has probably been ingrained in him since he was a kid and, whilst we understand the wider picture these days, we also all knew what he meant.

It is an absolute storm in a teacup and i certainly don't think he should apologise. All it is now is social media rinsing it to get the maximum clicks.

15 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

This Souness thing is ridiculous.

He used a phrase that has probably been ingrained in him since he was a kid and, whilst we understand the wider picture these days, we also all knew what he meant.

Slippery slope. Would racism or sectarianism be okay? I'd certainly imagine the latter may have been ingrained in people of his generation, especially those who played for Rangers.

He was also straying into "foreign muck" territory with his stuff about the EPL being a harder and more honest league. Serial EPL divers of Gerrard, Kane, Sterling and now the young lad at Everton would of course never do such a thing. It's for foreigners.

It also wasn't just a phrase. He followed it on with more and then completely dismissed Carney's view despite his knowledge being from a time before I was even born.

15 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

It is an absolute storm in a teacup and i certainly don't think he should apologise. All it is now is social media rinsing it to get the maximum clicks.

It's certainly social media rinsing it, but it only gets traction because people are interested in it...it's also being over egged but it was tone deaf to sit there and say that in front of a female player especially on the back of the summer just gone.

Edited by Taffin

18 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Slippery slope. Would racism or sectarianism be okay? I'd certainly imagine the latter may have been ingrained in people of his generation, especially those who played for Rangers.

He was also straying into "foreign muck" territory with his stuff about the EPL being a harder and more honest league. Serial EPL divers of Gerrard, Kane, Sterling and now the young lad at Everton would of course never do such a thing. It's for foreigners.

It also wasn't just a phrase. He followed it on with more and then completely dismissed Carney's view despite his knowledge being from a time before I was even born.

It's certainly social media rinsing it, but it only gets traction because people are interested in it...it's also being over egged but it was tone deaf to sit there and say that in front of a female player especially on the back of the summer just gone.

It's not that slippery because there is a massive difference between racism/sectarianism and using a phrase that is commonly used to signify the aggression in the men's game. Like i said, he can be called out on it and made aware of the matter but i don't see the benefit in a witch hunt.

What was Carney saying? If Souness disagreed then he will say so in the same way he would to someone like Carragher? I've not seen it though tbf

Incidentally, for all Souness' faults, was it not him who tackled sectarian values head on whilst at rangers?

12 minutes ago, the general said:

No chance

I think their chances are slightly greater than that!

Their's to throw away :lol:

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Doesn't mean he's not outdated...lots of people are and probably share his views.

I don't mind him, he's like someone's grandad and his first use of it "being a man's game" was fine and they could have had a laugh about it, but he kept going. Then when he was explaining to Carney the impact the game has on strikers it was just cringey. This is a guy who hasn't played the game for over 30 years, he knows absolutely nothing of the game today and what impact things have on players today. Carney was still playing just 3 years ago.

Don't talk nonsense. Whether you played the game 30yrs ago or 3hrs ago. He still knows the impact of things.

It was a match of men against men, so it was a man's game, and always will be when men go up against men, the fact that a woman pundit was in the studio is irrelevant because at the end of the day she can't judge men against men, like Souness couldn't judge women against women in the same way a woman could.  Although the sport is doesfootball the difference between the men's game and the women's game is huge. Sourness knows far more about the men's game than Carney does, and Carney far more about the women's game than Souness does.

This is indeed a storm in a teacup, and Souness really doesn't have anything to apologise for.

9 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

It's not that slippery because there is a massive difference between racism/sectarianism and using a phrase that is commonly used to signify the aggression in the men's game. Like i said, he can be called out on it and made aware of the matter but i don't see the benefit in a witch hunt.

I'm not sure sexism is that different tbh. It's not a man's game, it's for everyone. I agree there's no benefit to a witch hunt though.

What was Carney saying? If Souness disagreed then he will say so in the same way he would to someone like Carragher? I've not seen it though tbf 

Carney was saying Auba would be a decent stop gap for Chelsea, Sounnes then decided to tell her how strikers are impacted by age and that they kicked a lot (which I'm sure she's aware of as a professional footballer 😂). It was awful by any means, it was just a bit toe curling 😂

Regards the bit in bold, I'd suggest you watch it. You're bemoaning the coverage it's getting, yet by the sounds of it, it's all you've consumed, which only fuels it. I've read nothing about it, other than my thoughts on it at the time.

Incidentally, for all Souness' faults, was it not him who tackled sectarian values head on whilst at rangers?

No idea, I'm not suggesting he's sectarian in any way though or at least wasn't meaning to...just that the idea it's okay to say stuff because you grew up with it doesn't cut it and people of his demographic may hold some pretty dated views.

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Don't talk nonsense. Whether you played the game 30yrs ago or 3hrs ago. He still knows the impact of things.

Does he though? Players are playing much longer than they used to. In the 90s would you still have strikers playing well into their 30s at the top level as the norm? 

Sports science, nutrition and the professionalism of players as athletes has come on leaps and bounds since the 80s and 90s. 

It was a match of men against men, so it was a man's game, and always will be when men go up against men, the fact that a woman pundit was in the studio is irrelevant because at the end of the day she can't judge men against men, like Souness couldn't judge women against women in the same way a woman could.  Although the sport is doesfootball the difference between the men's game and the women's game is huge. Sourness knows far more about the men's game than Carney does, and Carney far more about the women's game than Souness does.

And Carney know much more about what it's like to be modern professional sports person and what's available to them now to prolong their careers.

This is indeed a storm in a teacup, and Souness really doesn't have anything to apologise for.

It is a storm in a teacup, and he shouldn't apologise if he doesn't want to. Doesn't mean others can't find him outdated and irrelevant and voice their opinion on that.

RustyRightPeg
4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm not sure sexism is that different tbh. It's not a man's game, it's for everyone. I agree there's no benefit to a witch hunt though.

Carney was saying Auba would be a decent stop gap for Chelsea, Sounnes then decided to tell her how strikers are impacted by age and that they kicked a lot (which I'm sure she's aware of as a professional footballer 😂). It was awful by any means, it was just a bit toe curling 😂

Regards the bit in bold, I'd suggest you watch it. You're bemoaning the coverage it's getting, yet by the sounds of it, it's all you've consumed, which only fuels it. I've read nothing about it, other than my thoughts on it at the time.

No idea, I'm not suggesting he's sectarian in any way though or at least wasn't meaning to...just that the idea it's okay to say stuff because you grew up with it doesn't cut it and people of his demographic may hold some pretty dated views.

She wasn’t for backing down from him though, which I respect. 

She was giving as good as she got off that old dinosaur. He’s becoming quite tiresome.

If the likes of Nicholas and Thomson got binned, he must be on a shoogly peg. 

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Now you've described i definitely do not want to watch it. Sounds like a complete cringe :facepalm:

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

You don't think he should be in his job because he is old? 

Not so much aimed at you PfK but I had to pick you up on this as I see this term thrown around a lot on here.

How can this be acceptable? 

His opinions don't suit the woke and he is old so sack him?

Why is age prejudice accepted? 

If you can’t actually accept that the game has changed and you have no idea about the rules of football then you shouldn’t be on these programmes, racists like Carney shouldn’t be on there either. 

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

If you can’t actually accept that the game has changed and you have no idea about the rules of football then you shouldn’t be on these programmes, racists like Carney shouldn’t be on there either. 

Boof, there it is. 

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Boof, there it is. 

There what is?
Souness has no idea of what’s happening in the game these days with tactics etc, if these referees make the sam mistakes in the Man U v Liverpool game next Monday he would be going mental. 

Pasquale for King

Anyone that thinks City haven’t won the league already who is going to stop them? Liverpool have had two easy games so far. Chelsea flatter to deceive. Spurs are Spurs, no matter who the manager is. Arsenal will have a good season if they finish above their North London rivals. Man U hahahahaha a BILLION POUNDS spent on absolute shite, back to also rans like the majority of their history.