***Scotland v Israel Match Thread***

jamtartan74

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, thehibsareintheirbeds said:

Back to trying to find a formation to fit all the big name players in at the expense of the team.

This. England did that for ages with Lampard and Gerrard with zero success. They only improved (not much mind you) when they hired a manager willing to build a team and not pander to the top names.

Clarke has been a massive disappointment as Scotland manager. Some bizarre selections. Marshall over McLaughlin in goal today for one. Two good seasons at Kilmarnock should not be enough to get you the Scotland job. He was massively over-hyped. We should have splurged and gone for a name with International experience to get players excited about playing for Scotland again. If Ireland can appoint someone like Trapattoni why can't we?

Edited by ToqueJambo

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Riddley Walker

• iantjambo

• OTT

• Guffers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It goes so much deeper than the coach (although Clarke is extremely uninspiring). No-one believes in the Scotland team, least of all the players. There’s no impetus, no buzz, no sense that we’ll ever achieve anything. Sad to say it’ll take years to sort, assuming the SFA even try. We have to be the most ‘making up the numbers’ nation going.

Totally this. The mindset of everything to do with the national team is negative, there is a complete lack of belief that we can even win games. I can't remember the last time I even watched a game as they are beat before they even step on the pitch. We need someone to go in and inspire the nation into believing that we can do something, Clarke is a good manager at club level as he can make teams hard to beat, that isn't what we need at international level. We need to find someone to get the players believing that they can beat whoever they face. 

Riddley Walker
4 minutes ago, Barack said:

So they're happy to beat their neighbours, but are happy to give it up to us?😬🤔

20200904_233620.jpg

So we're looking at 4 points and +3 goal difference after 2 games? Cracking start from the boys. 

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Forrest's second touch always appears to be trying to keep the ball in play.

How he has done so well since school I don't know.

Sorted 👍🏻

Riddley Walker
7 minutes ago, Barack said:

Either way...it's good to see you back posting, bud.👍🏻

Cheers man. Probably posted more in the last week than I have in about 5 years, for some reason. Hope you're getting on alright 👍

We are the most backward looking football nation in the world. Can't think of one positive step our national body has taken. Very ambivalent about tonight, if it had been in back garden would have shut curtains. The apathy i feel and presumably others is what needs to be addressed. But no doubt Jack, Forest, Christie, Mcgregor will be absolved from blame in media tomorrow 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

We are the most backward looking football nation in the world. Can't think of one positive step our national body has taken. Very ambivalent about tonight, if it had been in back garden would have shut curtains. The apathy i feel and presumably others is what needs to be addressed. But no doubt Jack, Forest, Christie, Mcgregor will be absolved from blame in media tomorrow 

Clarke has better players available than any recent Scotland manager. It wasn't that long ago we were bemoaning how few we have playing at the top level in England. Now we have them in McGinn, Tierney, Robertson, McTominay and Armstrong and he wastes them by literally playing every single one out of position (and not even picking Armstrong who is arguably our best central midfielder).

Always thought Clark was a flash in the pan, but it takes some doing to knowingly weaken our best areas of the park - midfield and defence - and then have the nerve to claim it worked. Same could be said of the goalie. McLaughlin's been playing very well, Marshall hasn't;t played for two months! 

ColinSmith1255
1 hour ago, escobri said:

Any players have the balls to not take the knee?

I would take the knee. What is your problem with showing support for people who are discriminated against?

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Clarke has better players available than any recent Scotland manager. It wasn't that long ago we were bemoaning how few we have playing at the top level in England. Now we have them in McGinn, Tierney, Robertson, McTominay and Armstrong and he wastes them by literally playing every single one out of position (and not even picking Armstrong who is arguably our best central midfielder).

Always thought Clark was a flash in the pan, but it takes some doing to knowingly weaken our best areas of the park - midfield and defence - and then have the nerve to claim it worked. Same could be said of the goalie. McLaughlin's been playing very well, Marshall hasn't;t played for two months! 

But the point is that we can keep rearranging the deck chairs, without a massive change of direction we will always hit the iceberg. For the next 10 years we shouldn't pick anyone over 30, anyone who hasn't played at least under-21 level and there should be a clear pathway of coaches from under17 to full. Massive investment in indoors facilities. Seems to have worked for Germany.. And Iceland. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
5 hours ago, Guffers said:

Yikes! I assume you would be shouting that Scotland should boycott the Qatar World Cup on humanitarian grounds then should we qualify !  

It heartens me that you are aware of the humanitarian issues with the Qatar World Cup Guffers. So, I'll safely assume you are up on the West Bank problem too. Your informed choice then.

3 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Way too much sense in this post.

It's absolute torture following Scotland right now and the current manager seems to have no idea how he wants to play or what his best team is. They were dismal last night against a very poor team. It was like watching Hearts last season. Just completely lacking in everything that makes football worth watching.

Blaming the manager is a massive big part of the problem and the easy way out for the SFA, looks like the cycle is continuing for yet another lost campaign.

Very much like how the SPFL works, Celtic being the villain in that particular pantomime.

The public needs and craves somebody to hate and blame while the governing bodies sit back and enjoy the free ride.

5 hours ago, ColinSmith1255 said:

I would take the knee. What is your problem with showing support for people who are discriminated against?

Agree mostly but the sight of the Israelis taking a knee against discrimination made me puke. I'm sure the millions in camps in Palestine appreciated their gesture 😕

42 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Agree mostly but the sight of the Israelis taking a knee against discrimination made me puke. I'm sure the millions in camps in Palestine appreciated their gesture 😕

Why? Is it the footballers fault their government are arseholes. Surely it must make you puke when white Americans/Brits take a knee? 

Anyway we'll pump them when it matters. Hopefully after this NL and EQ we won't have to play Israel again for a long time. Feckers aren't even European. (Yes, I know) 

8 hours ago, LeftBack said:

The Scottish media would have you believe that these players are top drawer international class players on the basis of performances against the likes of Ross County and Aberdeen. In fact they are distinctly average and this well and truly shows when it comes to the Champions League and Scotland games. If they were anything special they wouldn't be playing their football in Glasgow. 

1 minute ago, stirlo said:

The Scottish media would have you believe that these players are top drawer international class players on the basis of performances against the likes of Ross County and Aberdeen. In fact they are distinctly average and this well and truly shows when it comes to the Champions League and Scotland games. If they were anything special they wouldn't be playing their football in Glasgow. 

Just read Andy devlins ratings, got one or two spot on ,but the others I just shook my head wondering what game he was watching, or more to the point ,we’re they rated like that as he going to be sharing a flight with the team if Monday’s game was on ?

42A97856-7EF8-4BA9-A7CC-1991C3456B50.jpeg

Is there another proper football country (if we still are one) as shite as Scotland and with as many fans utterly disinterested in their national team? Hungary maybe?

8 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Result of deliberations - game rescheduled, Hearts trip to Burnley cancelled, Hearts training cancelled for two weeks.

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Levein would have been hammered for that selection. Players out of position all over the place - it simply never works. 

I was actually thinking this last night.  Clarke is Levein mk2.  A good season or two in the league battling away, but the rest of the time constant tinkering with formations and roles and responsibilities.  You could tell from the post match interviews that the players aren’t happy/comfortable with it.

I’d been losing interest in Scotland’s national football team for a wile. Wasn’t really a conscious decision, just what started to happen over time. I take no pride in saying that or anything, just the truth. It even surprised me how nonplussed I was about that though. The feeling might return if there’s a couple of Hearts players involved, but I suspect it’ll never quite be the same again. I didn’t take any enjoyment out of the sucker punch or anything like that. It’s not comparable to the genuine glow I got when Ferencvaros stuffed the minks, but there was just very little emotion. Sad that it’s come to this.

2 minutes ago, pablo said:

Is there another proper football country (if we still are one) as shite as Scotland and with as many fans utterly disinterested in their national team? Hungary maybe?

I think that Scotland's love for football, which should be an asset, has actually allowed the SFA/SPFL to drift aimlessly for generations as football in Scotland has always survived and remained popular despite the ineptitude of its leaders. Had we been like Eastern European countries where football has to compete with athletics, tennis, ice hockey, basketball etc. then the SFA would be forced modernise or die. It's all too easy for them in Scotland. 

5 minutes ago, Anything2 said:

I think that Scotland's love for football, which should be an asset, has actually allowed the SFA/SPFL to drift aimlessly for generations as football in Scotland has always survived and remained popular despite the ineptitude of its leaders. Had we been like Eastern European countries where football has to compete with athletics, tennis, ice hockey, basketball etc. then the SFA would be forced modernise or die. It's all too easy for them in Scotland. 

Agree with much of this. It’s also down to the decades of running Scottish Football purely for the benefit of the OF. Devalued the sport at a national level. Decisions aren’t made for the good of Scottish Football, and that has led to decades of decline, but nobody has the balls to try and change it because it suits Celtic and Rangers to be this way.

1 minute ago, Anything2 said:

Yes, I think you're right. Although I'd also say that there's something else and I'm not sure what it is? The corruption on and off the field, the controlling of the media and everything else by the Old Firm? It's a crying shame though. It's our national sport and it deserves much better. 

4 minutes ago, pablo said:

Yes, I think you're right. Although I'd also say that there's something else and I'm not sure what it is? The corruption on and off the field, the controlling of the media and everything else by the Old Firm? It's a crying shame though. It's our national sport and it deserves much better. 

:spoton:

3 minutes ago, stirlo said:

Like McStay and Brown... 

Just now, gashauskis9 said:

Result of deliberations - game rescheduled, Hearts trip to Burnley cancelled, Hearts training cancelled for two weeks.

And fined. Just for a laugh

Dusk_Till_Dawn
30 minutes ago, Anything2 said:

It’s more to do with the Glasgow power base. The set-up works for Rangers and Celtic. They know they’ll never be admitted to the EPL (despite their constant comments about it) so Scottish football as it stands is an easy route to European competition and additional cash. On top of that, the Old Firm are so obsessed with each other that they have no interest in a broader view.

I’ve said this before and it’s true - one of the big reasons why the SFA are able to plough on regardless is because no-one outside of Scotland cares or pays any attention. They’re hidden away without any serious scrutiny because the Scottish media are hopelessly tame. If this was the English FA they’d be getting torn to shreds.

19 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Agree with much of this. It’s also down to the decades of running Scottish Football purely for the benefit of the OF. Devalued the sport at a national level. Decisions aren’t made for the good of Scottish Football, and that has led to decades of decline, but nobody has the balls to try and change it because it suits Celtic and Rangers to be this way.

8 minutes ago, pablo said:

Agree with both, there are other big issues, especially connected to the OF. Scotland should be to football what countries like Fiji are to rugby or Luxembourg to cycling in that they should be too small to complete but the people love it so much thaton their day they can really mix it with the big guns. 

Bazzas right boot
12 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

The rushed appointment of one trick pony Steve Clarke might be about to coming home to roost!

He really is. 

He's a % man. 

Plays for second balls, makes his teams compact and hard to beat. 

He done it well with Killie, I'm not convinced about him at national level or even at one of our bigger clubs. 

I suspect he might end up at Aberdeen in a couple of years, maybe find out then. 

1 minute ago, Anything2 said:

Agree with both, there are other big issues, especially connected to the OF. Scotland should be to football what countries like Fiji are to rugby or Luxembourg to cycling in that they should be too small to complete but the people love it so much thaton their day they can really mix it with the big guns. 

Considering we invented the game, yes. It’s criminal that the game has been neglected to the extent it has. When the decision was made to sell Scottish Football as a battle between just two clubs, all those years ago, the terminal decline began.

2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It’s more to do with the Glasgow power base. The set-up works for Rangers and Celtic. They know they’ll never be admitted to the EPL (despite their constant comments about it) so Scottish football as it stands is an easy route to European competition and additional cash. On top of that, the Old Firm are so obsessed with each other that they have no interest in a broader view.

I’ve said this before and it’s true - one of the big reasons why the SFA are able to plough on regardless is because no-one outside of Scotland cares or pays any attention. They’re hidden away without any serious scrutiny because the Scottish media are hopelessly tame. If this was the English FA they’d be getting torn to shreds.

I didn't mean to suggest that it was our main problem, just that it was a contributory factor. Fans turning up to support their team and the media reporting on every detail makes it look like football is vibrant in Scotland and therefore the governing body are doing well. Imagine if there was no TV deal because no one was watching and one column in the paper saying Scotland lost again. The SFA might feel moved to do something whereas at the moment they have it far too easy. 

38 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Funny how blinded folk can be with hate when only very recently a vote proved the very opposite of what you suggest. 

It's blindingly obvious to me the more the likes of you blame the old firm the longer this sham will exist. It's suits all the other clubs and the organisation as a whole that a lot of angst is thrown at the bigots thereby deflecting the real issues away from the bigger picture. 

The votes over the summer showed me exactly why the game in Scotland is ruined, it's all about self interest, self importance and a non existent leadership. 

Suits a lot of agendas to blame the old firm for everything. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
11 minutes ago, Anything2 said:

I didn't mean to suggest that it was our main problem, just that it was a contributory factor. Fans turning up to support their team and the media reporting on every detail makes it look like football is vibrant in Scotland and therefore the governing body are doing well. Imagine if there was no TV deal because no one was watching and one column in the paper saying Scotland lost again. The SFA might feel moved to do something whereas at the moment they have it far too easy. 

100% but I’ve no idea how you change that. I mean, we’ve got a league without a sponsor but no one at the SPFL seems to be answerable for that. You’d think it would cost someone their job but apparently not. They’re never made to feel any pressure.

The whole COVID thing was a rare occasion when they came under cosh but even then, the media were split and never unanimous in hammering them. Ultimately, the SPFL were able to push through their plans.

The whole thing is ****ed.

3 hours ago, XB52 said:

Was thinking that myself. Some nerve to act like they give a shit about oppression and discrimination 

Bazzas right boot
18 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Funny how blinded folk can be with hate when only very recently a vote proved the very opposite of what you suggest. 

It's blindingly obvious to me the more the likes of you blame the old firm the longer this sham will exist. It's suits all the other clubs and the organisation as a whole that a lot of angst is thrown at the bigots thereby deflecting the real issues away from the bigger picture. 

The votes over the summer showed me exactly why the game in Scotland is ruined, it's all about self interest, self importance and a non existent leadership. 

I think you've missed the main point by about a light year. 

The OF influence runs through a number of clubs and at governance and national level.

if you don't see that and see the OF as only two clubs then imo you have blinkers on and are missing the point about of thier influence and dominance in our game almost completely. 

45 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Utter pish I’m afraid. Sorry. Yes the smaller clubs have a part to play, but unfortunately if you cannot see the problems that emanate from a tail that wags the dog OF -centric football authority, then there’s not much anyone else can do to open your eyes.

4 hours ago, Anything2 said:

That is a very good point.

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I think you've missed the main point by about a light year. 

The OF influence runs through a number of clubs and at governance and national level.

if you don't see that and see the OF as only two clubs then imo you have blinkers on and are missing the point about of thier influence and dominance in our game almost completely. 

2 hours ago, Beast Boy said:

Utter pish I’m afraid. Sorry. Yes the smaller clubs have a part to play, but unfortunately if you cannot see the problems that emanate from a tail that wags the dog OF -centric football authority, then there’s not much anyone else can do to open your eyes.

Both blinded by hate, exactly what the problem is. There's a feeling around that the Old Firm feed off each other's hate.

I used to think it myself, my opinion now is they feed off everybody's hate, while all the other clubs stick the boot into each other they've ridden off into the sunset laughing.

It'll carry on indefinitely as long as its the case as well, the club's in Scotland sticking together Ship has long since sailed though so I understand punters needing the Old Firm comfort blanket of hate to cling onto.

The rat catcher
9 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Both blinded by hate, exactly what the problem is. There's a feeling around that the Old Firm feed off each other's hate.

I used to think it myself, my opinion now is they feed off everybody's hate, while all the other clubs stick the boot into each other they've ridden off into the sunset laughing.

It'll carry on indefinitely as long as its the case as well, the club's in Scotland sticking together Ship has long since sailed though so I understand punters needing the Old Firm comfort blanket of hate to cling onto.

Hahahahahah.

I'll do the jokes.

You honestly don't see any particular benefit given to the OF?

In coverage, special treatment or financial?

HAhahahahahahaha 

Bazzas right boot
26 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Other clubs do stick the boot into each other--no one would argue that. the OF aren't the only problem in Scotland but if you can't see the of influence throughout football and society then you're either stupid or part of the problem imo. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

That was diabolical last night. 

Thought Dykes put in a good shift because he had no service and no support. 

Our midfield was a feckin embarrassment. They were shit feart to put the foot in. 

The way we played was awful. No runners from midfield getting in behind. Everything forced wide. The passing was awful. Probably one of the worst home performances I've seen from Scotland in a while and we were lucky to get a draw. 

Just noticed the Scottish diddies were playing last night. Glad I missed it as nothing ever changes. We can’t even beat an Israeli team these days. SFA/SPFL have decimated Scottish football.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

That was diabolical last night. 

Thought Dykes put in a good shift because he had no service and no support. 

Our midfield was a feckin embarrassment. They were shit feart to put the foot in. 

The way we played was awful. No runners from midfield getting in behind. Everything forced wide. The passing was awful. Probably one of the worst home performances I've seen from Scotland in a while and we were lucky to get a draw. 

1-1 with the likes of Israel is about our level now Tbh. 

Not sure what folk expect of Scotland nowadays, we all know we are poor( we talk about it) , but when we play poor, folk get upset or seem surprised. The same pattern gets repeated every game, its been twenty years now. 

Next game with be the same, win/draw/ lose it will be a toil, with the odd humping thrown in and maybe the odd big performance just to keep us interested.