*** Other Scottish football match thread, for anyone who gives a ****

tartofmidlothian

Jambo 4 Ever
32 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Yes but look at the circumstances behind that scoreline. The St Mirren defence gifted the goals.

If we score 3 v st mirren we would be very happy 

• Replies 62.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• neilnunb

• Mikey1874

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jamboinglasgow

Considering Motherwell beat them last week, I would not read too much into Aberdeen beating st mirren who played with 10 men almost the whole match

Just now, Jambo 4 Ever said:

If we score 3 v st mirren we would be very happy 

🤣  no shit Sherlock...hopefully they'll get a player sent off when we play them too.

Up to the sending off though St Mirren were possibly edging today's game.

InternationalJambo
5 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Considering Motherwell beat them last week, I would not read too much into Aberdeen beating st mirren who played with 10 men almost the whole match

Correct.

You just know a certain poster is going to appear on here in the next few hours letting us know how great their new signings are…

Naisys Tackle

So is St Johnstone or Motherwell now the worst team ever in the Prem or is that St Mirren now while Aberdeen are average and Ross County are much better than all of them?

Tom Hardy’s Dug
7 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

So is St Johnstone or Motherwell now the worst team ever in the Prem or is that St Mirren now while Aberdeen are average and Ross County are much better than all of them?

The truth is that no one game is determinative of a teams likely success or otherwise for the entirety of a season.

Naisys Tackle
Just now, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

The truth is that no one game is determinative of a teams likely success or otherwise for the entirety of a season.

While correct its possible to say something positive about another team without making excuses every week whle ignoring our shortfalls. 

It would be ignorant to ignore Aberdeen and Dundee Utd are going to be tough opponents based on what we have seen so far. 

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Robbies Tackle said:

While correct its possible to say something positive about another team without making excuses every week whle ignoring our shortfalls. 

It would be ignorant to ignore Aberdeen and Dundee Utd are going to be tough opponents based on what we have seen so far. 

They may be. But, the league season is a marathon not a sprint.

19 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Good. We need the league to be stronger and more teams taking points off the Old Firm.

1 hour ago, GBJambo said:

As predicted Ross Co proving to a tricky team to play against . 

Our win against them was a great result despite what some people say.

Exactly.  First competitive game.  Shaky start, came on to a game, two good goals and won.

26 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Before last week I fancied Ross County to be dark horses for top six and (like most people) St Johnstone, St Mirren and Motherwell to be the bottom 3. I've not seen anything to change my opinion so far.

Aberdeen have a new team and signs are encouraging for them so far, although it's worth remembering that this time last season they'd looked impressive in Europe and won their first two league games.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
23 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Yep and I’ve already said that teams look to be turning what were draws last season into wins this season.

I happen to agree with you. The dismissive nonsense about every other team still being shite this season is clearly nonsense.

You could argue that Dundee United have improved their midfield more than us and Aberdeen their attack more than us.

I still buy into our and Savages processes - that being said I am expecting at least 2 or 3 higher quality signings within the next couple of weeks than we have made to date.

Leveins Battalion
1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Yep and I’ve already said that teams look to be turning what were draws last season into wins this season.

I happen to agree with you. The dismissive nonsense about every other team still being shite this season is clearly nonsense.

You could argue that Dundee United have improved their midfield more than us and Aberdeen their attack more than us.

I still buy into our and Savages processes - that being said I am expecting at least 2 or 3 higher quality signings within the next couple of weeks than we have made to date.

We 100% need some players to kick us on,but we all know that Savages method is the long game.

Frustrating just now but I imagine we will all be saying differently in 3 weeks time.

Spitonastranger
1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

A lot of english football teams, players, fans and media sneer at us, but at the end of the day we play in one of the best stadiums in the country, which is sold out every game, we don’t win too much trophies but when we do it creates amazing memories and we’ve got European trips to look forward to.

Majority of these english teams play in front of half empty stadiums, they never challenge for trophies, staying in the league is the only priority and they have no European football to look forward to.

Doesn’t matter how much money clubs have access to down there, I know what I’d rather have…

😍👏

59 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

That will be him worth £20mill again

Is that valuation based on his weight? By the stone?  Looks like he spent the summer at the chippy everyday!

Naisys Tackle
10 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Yeah totally agree. 

They will come later in the window as it seems to be the way when a loan or 2 from the EPL. 

All that said im completely relaxed and comfortable about the way the team is progressing.  

7 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

It’s really hard to tell who’s good, who average and who’s shite until the first series of fixtures and you’ve played everyone.

I think it’s unlikely we’ll see the 7 club logjam we saw last season and almost certain that at least 2 clubs are going to push us a bit harder than we got pushed last season.

Im not convinced that we’ve made enough good signings YET to make any assumptions and it’d be really disappointing, given our financials this season, if we let the pack back in because the activity in the transfer market was all a bit meh.

Plenty time yet for deals and we’ll find out a lot tomorrow. This is a game where bottle gets tested more than anything.

5 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Aberdeen Utd and Ross County look better sides than last year, Ross County should kick on now they’ve got us and Celtic out the way. Kilmarnock will be a typical McInnes difficult to beat side. Hibs are a lottery could be anything but like or not Boyle improves them. St Mirren Motherwell and St J look likely to be the relegation battlers. 

Regarding Savage I’m still concerned about the recruitment this summer we’re still way short for 4 competitions. I know we don’t want any old shite like before but it’s a worry for now.

The back 3 needs game time, Rowles / Halkett / Kingsley presumably the first choice. The right side looks much weaker than the left and Midfield looks unbalanced with Boyce currently without a position. Neilson needs to work this out we don’t have time to chop and change. I still have faith in them all to get it right but I’m of the opinion 3rd is a huge ask this season, the league cup or Europe looks the choice, but hopefully the Scottish is not out our reach.

HeartsandonlyHearts
14 minutes ago, weegie jambo said:

Two games in and the league has a depressingly familiar look about it.

What!! 
If Hearts or even (god forbid) #!bs win tomorrow 4-0 they’d be top.

We’re two games in.

18 minutes ago, weegie jambo said:

Hearts above Hibs?

Looks very familiar to me as well.

I'm not depressed about it though.

Edited by Bauld

2 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

What!! 

We’re two games in.

Celtic and Rangers are streets ahead in a competition of their own mate. It’s been that way for years and years with the odd blip. That’s the way it’s staying for now. We’re fighting for ‘best of the rest’ from day 1. That’s what’s depressing about the familiar look of the league table, because you know already that’s how it’s finishing

Tom Hardy’s Dug
26 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

We 100% need some players to kick us on,but we all know that Savages method is the long game.

Frustrating just now but I imagine we will all be saying differently in 3 weeks time.

I agree

But also say - we’d better be.

14 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

What!! 

We’re two games in.

Appreciate the optimism, but that's essentially it. Rangers at home to St Johnstone next week so there's 3 points guaranteed. Celtic might find it tricky vs Kilmarnock tbf but they'll be lifted when they stick a few past us on the 21st.

Naisys Tackle
13 minutes ago, Locky said:

Appreciate the optimism, but that's essentially it. Rangers at home to St Johnstone next week so there's 3 points guaranteed. Celtic might find it tricky vs Kilmarnock tbf but they'll be lifted when they stick a few past us on the 21st.

Why ive said for a while the league should have the baws to have an old firm first game.  Dropped points guaranteed with one manager under pressure already. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Yip. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Agree in general but Utd lost their keeper and Aberdeen lost their two best players. 

They're Also striving to improve from a much lower base than us. 

I do want and expect a few "big" names in tho. 

Staying third and improving on last season is a big task and always the goal. 

Catching rangers and Celtic this season is fantasy stuff, they are much better than us. 

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, spacerjoe said:

Good. We need the league to be stronger and more teams taking points off the Old Firm.

Myth. 

43 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Celtic and Rangers are streets ahead in a competition of their own mate. It’s been that way for years and years with the odd blip. That’s the way it’s staying for now. We’re fighting for ‘best of the rest’ from day 1. That’s what’s depressing about the familiar look of the league table, because you know already that’s how it’s finishing

Best of the rest is what we're striving for. It would be a very good outcome to get third again. Loads of games before end of November. European games and plenty of Subday fixtures. Aberdeen, United and Hibs all likely to be better this season. 

We look to have more quality than others but it'll be a long tough season. Can't see it being anywhere near as straightforward as last season.  

10 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Agree in general but Utd lost their keeper and Aberdeen lost their two best players. 

They're Also striving to improve from a much lower base than us. 

I do want and expect a few "big" names in tho. 

Staying third and improving on last season is a big task and always the goal. 

Catching rangers and Celtic this season is fantasy stuff, they are much better than us. 

Playing Thursday and Sunday is going to be tough. Plenty squad rotation needed. We need players to step up across the squad. Can't be quite as reliant on Barrie this season given fixture congestion.

Squad harmony is paramount. Probably why the recruitment process appears to be very thorough.

45 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Why ive said for a while the league should have the baws to have an old firm first game.  Dropped points guaranteed with one manager under pressure already. 

I'd love to see that but yeah, sadly its probably not going to happen for no reason more than whoever loses will blame the league for a lack of preparation. I really ****ing despise them so much.

1 hour ago, spacerjoe said:

Except all they do is take points off each other.

1 minute ago, briever said:

Shows you how mental our league would be if it didn't have those 2 in it. Genuinely think we'd see seasons where teams fighting for a title and battling relegation. :lol: 

HeartsandonlyHearts
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

It’s really hard to tell who’s good, who average and who’s shite until the first series of fixtures and you’ve played everyone.

I think it’s unlikely we’ll see the 7 club logjam we saw last season and almost certain that at least 2 clubs are going to push us a bit harder than we got pushed last season.

Im not convinced that we’ve made enough good signings YET to make any assumptions and it’d be really disappointing, given our financials this season, if we let the pack back in because the activity in the transfer market was all a bit meh.

Plenty time yet for deals and we’ll find out a lot tomorrow. This is a game where bottle gets tested more than anything.

How do you know our activity in the transfer market was all a bit meh?

HeartsandonlyHearts
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

We’ve all known for the past (guessing on this) 35 years how it will end but we can’t all be depressed after only two games. That just makes it not even worth playing the season out. There has to be some hope.

HeartsandonlyHearts
1 hour ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Never happen unfortunately. They have a supposedly random computer for the split that somehow never has a league winning match up between the two @$$ cheeks. We’re run by idiots.

8 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Meh is probably a bit harsh from JC but I kinda see where he's coming from. I think we're a stronger squad than last season, ever so slightly, but I can't look at any signings we've made and think 'he personally makes us so much better'. If that makes sense.

Jorge Grant certainly gives us something different that we sort of lacked last season. Forrest has been pleasantly surprising but a long way yet, Cochrane I wouldn't really count as he was in the team already but is a good signing, Shankland is essentially a replacement for Simms and only time will tell if he's a better option, while Neilson and Rowles are signings which will take time to really show what they can do.

12 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

That’s how I feel about it at this moment…….. meh……..given the finances we have at our disposal. Still time of course and we haven’t really seen enough performances yet to confirm meh or otherwise 

August Landmesser
1 hour ago, weegie jambo said:

What were you expecting though? 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Locky said:

Meh is probably a bit harsh from JC but I kinda see where he's coming from. I think we're a stronger squad than last season, ever so slightly, but I can't look at any signings we've made and think 'he personally makes us so much better'. If that makes sense.

Jorge Grant certainly gives us something different that we sort of lacked last season. Forrest has been pleasantly surprising but a long way yet, Cochrane I wouldn't really count as he was in the team already but is a good signing, Shankland is essentially a replacement for Simms and only time will tell if he's a better option, while Neilson and Rowles are signings which will take time to really show what they can do.

I agree 

Although I think Forrestus an upgrade. 

Beni will be our best signing of the  season, in gooibg6fur 1 or 2 big names in. 

Leveins Battalion
3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

That’s how I feel about it at this moment…….. meh……..given the finances we have at our disposal. Still time of course and we haven’t really seen enough performances yet to confirm meh or otherwise 

We probably all expected a wee bit more activity in the transfer Window to be fair,it just feels a bit flat just now and we definitely need a signing or 2 that gets the juices flowing,not sure Davenport will be met with massive enthusiasm to be honest.

28 minutes ago, briever said:

Currently, yes.

Which last year worked well for us.

But for Scottish football to succeed, we need all the teams to grow.

That means players sold for higher fees, more money in the game  better players coming in, more teams winning in Europe, higher rankings, more money coming in...

If a couple of teams can consistently get 5M to 10M income from Europe or player sales, they will start to consistently take points off the Old Firm for sure.

I mean, our support expects it now and we've only been back in the top league a year!

August Landmesser
10 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I agree 

Although I think Forrestus an upgrade. 

Beni will be our best signing of the  season, in gooibg6fur 1 or 2 big names in. 

That's easy for you to say! 😃

8 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

We probably all expected a wee bit more activity in the transfer Window to be fair,it just feels a bit flat just now and we definitely need a signing or 2 that gets the juices flowing,not sure Davenport will be met with massive enthusiasm to be honest.

I expected quality. I didn’t expect the jury to be out on whether we’ve got it or not. I expected to nod and say ‘yep, that’s a really good signing that really improves us’  What we’ve got SO FAR is 4 or 5 mebbes aye mebbes naw, one of whom (Grant) it seems to me that RN doesn’t know where or if to play him. Davenport ? For me we don’t need him. God knows why we’re even looking at him when we’ve already got 5 or 6 options for his position.

Ill leave it there before someone jumps in and reminds me we’ve got 4 weeks left of the window.

Mr Elwood P
42 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

Eh?

If the other clubs are good enough to take points off the Old Firm they will be good enough to beat us. Saying it helps us to win the league doesn't make any sense.

Bazzas right boot
57 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Neither was McKay or Forrest. 

The fans enthusiasm isn't a great indicator on quality. Many are pretty clueless and watch too much EPL. 

Osh also came with fireworks with him being a wc star. 

I'd trust Savage and Bob, but I would also like 1 or two Proven stars. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot