2020 Snooker World Championship

Victorian

John Higgins throwing away a masters title?

wonder how much he got in return for that eh?

glad the cheat lost. Was a big fan back in the day but he lost all respect Imo after agreeing to lose for money. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• neilnunb

• Sooperstar

• Cruyff

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yan is really similar to the way Hendry played the game in his early days.  Completely fearless and nerveless.  Takes on everything.  Way too early to know if he'll win multiple triple crown events because there have bern plenty of other young players who never seem to make it.  Plus there's just so much competition in the top 16.  

I do wonder if age has finally caught up with Higgins. He's always been such a solid player over the years, but last night his concentration was all over the place.

Looked like he'd rather be at home watching the telly.

Fair play to Yan though, he's got a decent, possibly outstanding career ahead of him. And great for the game of snooker, they'll be lapping this up back home in China.

19 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

I do wonder if age has finally caught up with Higgins. He's always been such a solid player over the years, but last night his concentration was all over the place.

Looked like he'd rather be at home watching the telly.

Fair play to Yan though, he's got a decent, possibly outstanding career ahead of him. And great for the game of snooker, they'll be lapping this up back home in China.

Doesn't have much bottle. Missed an easy blue at 7-7 I think to lose the frame and never really recovered

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Yan is really similar to the way Hendry played the game in his early days.  Completely fearless and nerveless.  Takes on everything.  Way too early to know if he'll win multiple triple crown events because there have bern plenty of other young players who never seem to make it.  Plus there's just so much competition in the top 16.  

Behave. Not even shown a glimpse of the talent Hendry had. Prime hendry breaking through would have white washed Higgins in that form. 

3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

John Higgins throwing away a masters title?

wonder how much he got in return for that eh?

glad the cheat lost. Was a big fan back in the day but he lost all respect Imo after agreeing to lose for money. 

As much as I'd love for this to be true about the Celtic *****, I thought the ultimate analysis showed that he was basically being threatened by some dudes in the underworld? Or did I misunderstand what really went down with all that?

34 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Behave. Not even shown a glimpse of the talent Hendry had. Prime hendry breaking through would have white washed Higgins in that form. 

Never said he is as good.  Just a similar style.

1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

As much as I'd love for this to be true about the Celtic *****, I thought the ultimate analysis showed that he was basically being threatened by some dudes in the underworld? Or did I misunderstand what really went down with all that?

He was setup by the News of the World and duped into the meeting by his business partner which he was warned about prior to the meeting and played along with it because he thought he was in danger. He was found to be completely innocent after the full unedited footage was viewed by Snookers governing body but that doesn't stop folk repeating the charge against him it seems. 

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

He was setup by the News of the World and duped into the meeting by his business partner which he was warned about prior to the meeting and played along with it because he thought he was in danger. He was found to be completely innocent after the full unedited footage was viewed by Snookers governing body but that doesn't stop folk repeating the charge against him it seems. 

There is always people out there who It has nothing to do with BUT they feel they have some entitlement to talk utter crap about the situation and take to social media to have a pointless comment about something what was untrue . 

Another situation what comes to mind is the Livingston manager Martindale no one knows him and his past hasn’t effected them he has turned his life around BUT they jump on the bandwagon and throw a comment about there about the man. 

These folk who take to social media or forums are not whiter than white am sure if someone done a bit digging on their private life’s they would find a lot they wouldn’t like to share .

3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Cheers, I appreciate you explaining in more detail.

15 hours ago, Victorian said:

The lad has the Hendry(I'm gonnae crush you)about him, especially the long pots that can win a frame if successful. None of this, safety first pish. And my god snooker needs it. 

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

The lad has the Hendry(I'm gonnae crush you)about him, especially the long pots that can win a frame if successful. None of this, safety first pish. And my god snooker needs it. 

Correct. If it saves us from a extended period of dominance by Mark ****ing Selby and the like, then I'm all for it. 

• 1 month later...

Mind Ronnie's comments

O'Sullivan often complains that the snooker tour is not very challenging and reckons he could beat some of the field even if he was handicapped.

"People like me, John [Higgins] and Mark [Williams], you look at the younger players coming through, they’re not that good, really," he said at the Crucible.

"Most of them, they’d probably do well as half decent amateurs, not even amateurs, I mean, they’re so bad.

"A lot of them you see now, you think, cor, I’ve probably got to lose an arm and a leg to fall out of the top 50. So that’s really why we’re still hovering around still, just how poor it is down that end."

Just lost to the world no 81 in the Welsh Open final 🤣🤣🤣

• 2 weeks later...

seven times world champion stephen hendry is about to start his comeback in 10 minutes at the gibraltar open. it is live on eurosport

Back with a century in the 2nd frame, was one he had to work for too with the black tied up and the balls not in a great position.

24 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

This boy he's playing is potting almost everything sadly...and therefore annoyimg the **** out of me. 😁

Sure they said he only missed 3 pots all game! Deserved the win, and Hendry didn't really do much wrong.

Edited by PortyJambo

Selt looks a good player.  Ranked about 25 but he's not done much of note.  Barely missed a thing and got jammy a few times.  Hendry let him in easily too many times and it's a perfect lesson of what's to come if he plays good players who score heavily.  A weak tactical game will get devoured.  

He's going to play in the world champs qualifying and has to win at least 3 best of 19 matches.  Chances are... modest.

• 3 weeks later...
JudyJudyJudy

I turned the snooker on last night and thought I was seeing things , what has Neil Robertson done to his hair !!! Obviously took the dye out and let it all go au natural . He now looks like this guy when he was a guy !     I honestly thought Neil had a wig on at first . 

84AC7AF9-EDDA-47C3-A1EB-E23B98721B3B.jpeg

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

I turned the snooker on last night and thought I was seeing things , what has Neil Robertson done to his hair !!! Obviously took the dye out and let it all go au natural . He now looks like this guy when he was a guy !     I honestly thought Neil had a wig on at first . 

Haha yes, saw Robertson's hair the other day and thought 'wtf' 😁

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

I know. Completely bizarre look. But good on him for going au naturale 

58 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

oh that might be a cracker...they gonna be on zimmer frames ?

Doubt he will come close to qualifying on the back of 1-3 hours of practice a day. These other players are probably doing closer to 6-10 hours a day. 

The bigger more senior players such as Ronnie, Williams, Higgins all talk about practicing less but talk from news snippets and snooker forums are that they put in the practice on the lead up to big tournaments. There is simply no other way to keep the standards up that they do. 

1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

He’s went all Vegan

I think Hendry will beat White this time but it's going to be a mountain to climb to expect to win a final qualifier against a top 32 player over 19 frames.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

I think Hendry will beat White this time but it's going to be a mountain to climb to expect to win a final qualifier against a top 32 player over 19 frames.

How many frames is the qualifier over? 

6 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

How many frames is the qualifier over? 

As far as I know all rounds of the qualifying competition are best of 19.  Certainly was before.

Edited by Victorian

5 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Was on Naked Attraction last week. She didn’t get picked. She wasn't happy about it.

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

As far as I know all rounds of the qualifying competition are best of 19.  Certainly was before.

That's a decent effort to get in. It's a pity they don't have the same structure as the golf where he could be granted a free pass as past champion. 😄

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

That's a decent effort to get in. It's a pity they don't have the same structure as the golf where he could be granted a free pass as past champion. 😄

Think he has to play 3 or 4 qualifiers.  Virtually no chance really.

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Was on Naked Attraction last week. She didn’t get picked. She wasn't happy about it.

Yes I saw that before . She’s a right drama Queen 

Samuel Camazzola
Just now, Victorian said:

Think he has to play 3 or 4 qualifiers.  Virtually no chance really.

That's a gruelling test. Will be draining and questions asked if the drive and desire is there. Would be good to see him make it. 

2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

That's a gruelling test. Will be draining and questions asked if the drive and desire is there. Would be good to see him make it. 

Damn right.  A scrappy match could end up being about 10 or 12 hours table time.

They've feck all else to do. I wish I could play snooker all day every day as my job. Or Golf or Football or Darts. 

Update on the qualifying tournament.

Q1, Q2 and Q3 are over 11 frames.  Q4 is over 19 frames.

White - Hendry is world ranked 82 vs 125.  White is marginal betting fav.  Winner plays Xu Si of China (80).  Winner of that plays Zhou Yuolong of China (17).  Winner of that plays Elliot Slessor of England (48) or Liam Highfield of England (49) or Zak Surety of England (112) or Fan Zhengyi of China (121).

Zhou is of course the hardest looking match being ranked 17 and top ranked player having to qualify.

Here is a list of players White/Hendry have avoided in the qualifying.

Stuart Bingham,  Luca Brecel,  Matthew Stevens,  Ali Carter,  Jordan Brown,  Martin Gould,  Ricky Walden,  Ryan Day,  Tepchaiya Un-Nooh,  Joe Perry,  Mark Davis,  Liang Wenbo,  Michael Holt,  Graeme Dott,  Tom Ford,  Kurt Maflin,  Robert Milkins,  Matthew Selt.

All in all it's a tremendous draw for White or Hendry if either can overcome Zhou.

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Here is a list of players White/Hendry have avoided in the qualifying.

Stuart Bingham,  Luca Brecel,  Matthew Stevens,  Ali Carter,  Jordan Brown,  Martin Gould,  Ricky Walden,  Ryan Day,  Tepchaiya Un-Nooh,  Joe Perry,  Mark Davis,  Liang Wenbo,  Michael Holt,  Graeme Dott,  Tom Ford,  Kurt Maflin,  Robert Milkins,  Matthew Selt.

All in all it's a tremendous draw for White or Hendry if either can overcome Zhou.

Some talent in the qualifying. What happened to Stuart Bingham? Doesn’t seem that long ago be won the worlds. 

willie wallace
3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Some talent in the qualifying. What happened to Stuart Bingham? Doesn’t seem that long ago be won the worlds. 

Was just thinking the same.Surprised to see his name there.

3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

He stands out as the best in the qualifying.  Think it's quite quick to drop down the rankings with a poor season.  On his day he's easily a top 8 player.  Carter,  Gould and Perry are players who spent a long time in the top 16.  Liang should be up there too.

31 minutes ago, Victorian said:

He stands out as the best in the qualifying.  Think it's quite quick to drop down the rankings with a poor season.  On his day he's easily a top 8 player.  Carter,  Gould and Perry are players who spent a long time in the top 16.  Liang should be up there too.

Mathew Stevens. What if player. Not sure why he never progressed as a top player. Certainly had the talent and was a really good lefty as well like O’Sullivan. 

Honestly can’t see how either Hendry or White can progress with talent like this in the qualifying section.  Certainly amongst the best players ever on their days but that was a long time ago. 

Honesty didn’t realise the talent pool was so big these days. 

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Mathew Stevens. What if player. Not sure why he never progressed as a top player. Certainly had the talent and was a really good lefty as well like O’Sullivan. 

Honestly can’t see how either Hendry or White can progress with talent like this in the qualifying section.  Certainly amongst the best players ever on their days but that was a long time ago. 

Honesty didn’t realise the talent pool was so big these days. 

They don't have to play any of them.  I've put the draw further up.

42 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

6 years ago was his WC win

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

They don't have to play any of them.  I've put the draw further up.

Ah so they have. Be some effort still. 

Ach it would be something else to see either one of them in a world championship again. Here’s hoping. Tbh I wouldn’t put it past them, especially Henry if he has the competitive hunger back. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

I'd love to see Jimmy or Stephen back at the crucible. I'm glad they are both giving it ago. Both of them chucked it in too quickly imo. 

There's too many tournaments, these days, so if you don't compete in the whole lot you, end up like Bingham.  

The only person who loved WS these days is the ***** who runs it. 

Hearn has ruined elite snooker. It might be good for the less talented players, but it has fecked up the top 32 for good. There's no consistency. I for one, don't want to see multiple average joes at the crucible, because they turn up at every tournament. The likes of O'sullivan, Higgins and Selby should not have to battle to stay in the to 16 by playing in the west of beruit International gala  open cup. 

You used to kind of get know the player through the years, which would bring out some characters for us to love or hate or both, now, I know no *****, which then leads me not to bother. 

Edited by ri Alban