Hearts transfers (Cochrane goes on loan to Montrose)

dazajmbo

10 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Very true. Besides, having checked out neilsons interview where he mentions haring, he definitely doesn’t say he’s “fit and ready to go”. He’s just had another surgery and Robbie hopes he’ll be available for the start of the season. Still lots of unknowns with haring...unfortunately ☹️

8 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Aye fair point mate, sadly 👀

He's a worry. Far too long out and can't shake the feeling he'll never be fully ready. 

Hope I'm way off, obviously. 

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff

• Bazzas right boot

1 minute ago, greggy123 said:

Who do you want us to sign then. Peter pawlett is not a bad player at this level. I’d of said of Walker, Naismith, Washington are all a level above the premiership and look at how poor we’ve been. Would prefer players that want to be at Hearts and usually you’ll find the mediocre ones fight and scrap for the jersey. Not the best players but they’ll give you there all week in week out. 

I want us to sign players that will stand us in good stead when we return to the premiership, hopefully with at least a potential for resale value and  preferably with some way to go till the peak of their career. As JJ said, we need to look beyond next season.  

I don’t see why we need to settle for mediocre players who will scrap for the jersey. I want better than mediocre and still scrapping for the jersey.  Most clubs in the championship will struggle to cobble a side together, if we aren’t building for the future this season just when will we find the time to do it? Our signings have been poor, signing known mediocrity is something we need to avoid as it’ll just be poor in a different way. 

Hectormasson
3 hours ago, KyleLafferty said:

I can’t see a link to Peter pawlett anywhere? Aw wait someone said they heard it and put in on kickback? I love a good rumour and love the ‘ITK’ but Christ calm down, people raging about it 😂

Let's be honest we've had and signed much worse than these two ? We've not got loads to spend , so we may have to sign who we can to get us back on the move again if they can do a decent job ? Go for it.......

3 hours ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

The mediocre duds he signed in the past had us second in the league before he left....... Take that again would you not. 

In the championship? No 

I think this thread has highlighted that there aren't any Dundee United players who aren't either a) out of our price range at the moment, or b) not worth paying any sort of money for. Bear in mind that they'd probably be looking for a premium from us as well.

Neilson was different because he doesn't fit into either of the above categories and he apparently had a release clause which was met, so Dundee United didn't have the opportunity to play hardball.

We could easily do better than Butcher or Pawlett in the free agent market.

Leveins Battalion

I am probably in the minority on here but I believe we have a pretty decent 1st 11.I agree with Robbie that we need some pace in the wide areas.Both a right and left winger for me.

We really need to find some drive from midfield,somebody to get up and support the attackers.Somebody who can take set pieces also,they have been chronic for years.

This season is make or break for some of the younger players i feel.For me I dont think the likes of Henderson or Moore are good enough.Happy to be proven wrong.

One thing I'd watch out for. Aberdeen are looking to sell Cosgrove for a few million and, if they manage that, they'll potentially have a bit of money to spend on a replacement.

Relegation was a distinct possibility when Boyce signed, so it wouldn't be a surprise if there's a relegation release clause built into that.

Selling Cosgrove at a couple of million and going in for a proven goalscorer in Boyce at, say, half a million would be a no-brainer for them.

I know he's said a couple of times in the press that he wants to stay, so hopefully he's serious about that. He's one of the only players in the squad who'd be almost impossible to replace just now.

rudi must stay
11 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

I am probably in the minority on here but I believe we have a pretty decent 1st 11.I agree with Robbie that we need some pace in the wide areas.Both a right and left winger for me.

We really need to find some drive from midfield,somebody to get up and support the attackers.Somebody who can take set pieces also,they have been chronic for years.

This season is make or break for some of the younger players i feel.For me I dont think the likes of Henderson or Moore are good enough.Happy to be proven wrong.

on paper yes. in reality it was 12th and we need a lot of changes. Not making them we won't be promoted IMO, we are fine at the back but going forward we need more pace, Boyce is a steal but everyone else I'm not sure

3 hours ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

The mediocre duds he signed in the past had us second in the league before he left....... Take that again would you not. 

Still couldn't beat Hibs or St Johnstone.

I like how folk always seem to think that because he had us second at that time, they think we would've finished in that position. The players he signed before he left had mid-table written all over it. I predicted mid-table the day Sammon arrived. Second means nothing mid-season. Even Levein had us top on an unbeaten run at the start of 2018-19.

When you sign the likes of Connor Sammon there's no way you're finishing second. If the likes of Calum Butcher and the cheating diver Peter Pawlett is the best you can do then it could be a long, long season (maybe two) in the Championship. Pawlett is more akin to a Hibs player than a Hearts player.

Our recruitment has been god awful for a long time. I thought that the building of the stand was the issue and we were trying to go cheaper unknowns with potential (Bjorn Johnston for example) but since then we've continued on a downwards slide and thats even with more domestic recruitment, the likes of Halkett and Washington should have had us breathing down Aberdeens neck (if not rangers). Quite how they've under performed so badly is mystifying. 

I hope JJ makes big changes in the recruitment department. Change personnel etc. Sounds like he wants all signings to have been watched in person rather than these youtube compilation signings we seem to have gone for in recent times. 

9 minutes ago, OTT said:

Our recruitment has been god awful for a long time. I thought that the building of the stand was the issue and we were trying to go cheaper unknowns with potential (Bjorn Johnston for example) but since then we've continued on a downwards slide and thats even with more domestic recruitment, the likes of Halkett and Washington should have had us breathing down Aberdeens neck (if not rangers). Quite how they've under performed so badly is mystifying. 

I hope JJ makes big changes in the recruitment department. Change personnel etc. Sounds like he wants all signings to have been watched in person rather than these youtube compilation signings we seem to have gone for in recent times. 

It's not mystifying to me. Players have been poorly coached for four years. To be honest, Halkett is no defender. Defensive midfield in front of a strong back two would suit him more for linking with midfield and getting forward. Handy to have as a back up defender if one of the defenders find themselves caught out or made a mistake. Or emergency defender if someone gets sent-off, is suspended or gets injured. Halkett started out as a striker and his goals for the team should've embarrassed the strikers and their poor goal tally.

Washington has been unfortunate in that when he arrived he quickly picked up an injury. He gets back and Levein is sacked, McPhee is hopeless, Stendel comes in and starts playing him. Was starting to look quite decent before lockdown.

Edited by jambonian

Leveins Battalion

We need to start signing younger players,guys like Ali McCan and Louis Appere should be who we are targeting.

We need to start picking these guys up again because at present Aberdeen and Hivs are beating us to these players and we are paying for it!

kingantti1874
40 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

One thing I'd watch out for. Aberdeen are looking to sell Cosgrove for a few million and, if they manage that, they'll potentially have a bit of money to spend on a replacement.

Relegation was a distinct possibility when Boyce signed, so it wouldn't be a surprise if there's a relegation release clause built into that.

Selling Cosgrove at a couple of million and going in for a proven goalscorer in Boyce at, say, half a million would be a no-brainer for them.

I know he's said a couple of times in the press that he wants to stay, so hopefully he's serious about that. He's one of the only players in the squad who'd be almost impossible to replace just now.

Boyce missus is from Edinburgh, that was a big factor when he sighed.. he doesn’t want to go anywhere 

19 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

We need to start signing younger players,guys like Ali McCan and Louis Appere should be who we are targeting.

We need to start picking these guys up again because at present Aberdeen and Hivs are beating us to these players and we are paying for it!

Agree with this, we have enough experienced players in our squad if we’re spending any sort of money then these type of players should be targeted. Your never going to get them all but you might just get say St Johnstone to bite for a reduced fee. 

18 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

This is part of our problem.

We don't have the financial clout to take these players. I mean in an ideal world we look to sell a player for a couple million. So do St Johnstone/ Motherwell etc. We need to do more to try and keep growing and build a bit of a financial buffer between ourselves and the smaller clubs in our division. We're in the same market for players as a club that get 4,000 a week. We're over 3 times that and its still not enough. Baffling and annoying. If we can get to a point where Robbie can spend up to a million a window without anyone sweating then we'll probably be in a position to sign the best of the rest more often than not. 

As things stand a quarter of a million is an arse twitching transfer fee which is just wrong. 

I hope once the new stand is 100% complete and Budge is paid back the foundation money can get reinvested in the club to build sustainable revenue (i.e not spent on the first team, invested in something which will make money over time, like another stand expansion or something else). Hell, at the rate James Anderson is going we'd be better just giving it to him to stick in one of his funds :D 

27 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Aberdeen and Hibs have been beating us to decent players for a few seasons now. If there's someone decent we've been last out the traps. It's either poor scouting or not caring that those two are getting some of the better players around has been a big problem for Hearts. Aberdeen get Cosgrove, we get McLean/Wighton. Hibs get McGinn, Allen, we get Callaghan. Loads of examples, that's just a few. I have mentioned this numerous times on here over these years and have been shot down for it. But it's been happening in front of us so that's been proof enough.

28 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Aberdeen and Hibs have been beating us to decent players for a few seasons now. If there's someone decent we've been last out the traps. It's either poor scouting or not caring that those two are getting some of the better players around has been a big problem for Hearts. Aberdeen get Cosgrove, we get McLean/Wighton. Hibs get McGinn, Allen, we get Callaghan. Loads of examples, that's just a few. I have mentioned this numerous times on here over these years and have been shot down for it. But it's been happening in front of us so that's been proof enough.

Amazing we sign Haring, Naismith, Smith which clearly shows your point...certainly proof enough I'd say

TyphoonJambo
6 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Amazing we sign Haring, Naismith, Smith which clearly shows your point...certainly proof enough I'd say

Boyce, washington, Gordon etc etc. 

15 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Well, three out of about 80 isn't bad, eh?!

Point is, for every half decent signing there's been three bad signings. For one Naismith there's been a Callaghan, Mulraney and Damour. For a Smith there's been a Nowak, a White, a Whelan. A Haring... a Martin, Amankwaa and Wighton. The list could go on. For a Lafferty...a Mclean, a Sammon and Stockton.

There has been plenty decent players to bring in if they wanted to. Just that Aberdeen and Hibs, clubs with similar budgets get first pick on them. Bad scouting? Or not giving a stuff that they are picking the best of the bunch?

TyphoonJambo
4 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Point is, for every half decent signing there's been three bad signings. For one Naismith there's been a Callaghan, Mulraney and Damour. For a Smith there's been a Nowak, a White, a Whelan. A Haring... a Martin, Amankwaa and Wighton. The list could go on. For a Lafferty...a Mclean, a Sammon and Stockton.

There has been plenty decent players to bring in if they wanted to. Just that Aberdeen and Hibs, clubs with similar budgets get first pick on them. Bad scouting? Or not giving a stuff that they are picking the best of the bunch?

To be fair, i think, injury aside, putting Harring in the duffers list is a bit unfair 

Just now, TypoonJambo said:

To be fair, i think, injury aside, putting Harring in the duffers list is a bit unfair 

I didn't. I said for every one decent player (Haring included) there's been three bad signings. 

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I want us to sign players that will stand us in good stead when we return to the premiership, hopefully with at least a potential for resale value and  preferably with some way to go till the peak of their career. As JJ said, we need to look beyond next season.  

I don’t see why we need to settle for mediocre players who will scrap for the jersey. I want better than mediocre and still scrapping for the jersey.  Most clubs in the championship will struggle to cobble a side together, if we aren’t building for the future this season just when will we find the time to do it? Our signings have been poor, signing known mediocrity is something we need to avoid as it’ll just be poor in a different way. 

Obviously they’ve been poor for us but at the time we’re the players we signed bad signings. If you look at our team players like Halkett, Washington, Boyce, walker etc you would take them in a heart beat. 

Just now, greggy123 said:

Obviously they’ve been poor for us but at the time we’re the players we signed bad signings. If you look at our team players like Halkett, Washington, Boyce, walker etc you would take them in a heart beat. 

Absolutely and just because the recruitment has been poor doesn’t mean individual signings are bad.  What we were talking about was mediocre players that give 100%. That’s just not good enough or ambitious enough for me. Look at the current squad, regardless of how good they’ve been in their career, or otherwise, how many of them will leave hearts to play at a higher level? I’m guessing maybe 1 or 2. Something isn’t right there and signing Peter pawlett or the guy butcher isn’t going to help with that. 

Batistuta87
4 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Same as me.

When I have seen him on the box, I always wondered if he could make the transition to a more infield position like Hartley did.

He played well against us in the 1-1 draw that went to penalties. I said during that game that I wouldn't mind having him at Hearts. Was a threat down the right wing the whole game and he looked like he could run all day - you could see he was starting to wear Hickey down. 

He reminded me a wee bit of Ryan Fraser actually - both in terms of his physical shape and his style of play. He looked small but well built, lots of pace, and he likes to get the head down and bomb down the wing then look for somoene in the box.

1 hour ago, jambonian said:

John Murray 

4 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Absolutely and just because the recruitment has been poor doesn’t mean individual signings are bad.  What we were talking about was mediocre players that give 100%. That’s just not good enough or ambitious enough for me. Look at the current squad, regardless of how good they’ve been in their career, or otherwise, how many of them will leave hearts to play at a higher level? I’m guessing maybe 1 or 2. Something isn’t right there and signing Peter pawlett or the guy butcher isn’t going to help with that. 

I totally get we’re your coming from but maybe going down the route of bringing in players that are Known to the league and done reasonable well before could be worth a try. There not the glamourise names of Naismith or Boyce but at least we know their good enough for this level. 

13 minutes ago, greggy123 said:

I totally get we’re your coming from but maybe going down the route of bringing in players that are Known to the league and done reasonable well before could be worth a try. There not the glamourise names of Naismith or Boyce but at least we know their good enough for this level. 

Yeh then we give them 2 and 3 year deals and are stuck with them when we need better quality.

TyphoonJambo
4 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Yeh then we give them 2 and 3 year deals and are stuck with them when we need better quality.

I think JJ will open Annes  eyes unto how to pay players, dinnae fret. She won't be making the same mistakes again. You don't make the gizilions she has by being stupid. 

john thomas
3 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

I think JJ will open Annes  eyes unto how to pay players, dinnae fret. She won't be making the same mistakes again. You don't make the gizilions she has by being stupid. 

Financial advice from JJ !

fabienleclerq
Just now, john thomas said:

Financial advice from JJ !

Was he not a financial advisor at one point? 

TyphoonJambo
3 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

I actually meant as to motivate players. Ie, not fixed salaries but performance based. 

20 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Who Boyce and Naismith? 

BackOfTheNet

I think we all remember how JJ was when he has actual money to spend. He’s much, much better on a tighter budget, his strength was getting the most out of the players he had.

john thomas
1 hour ago, fabienleclerq said:

He sold insurance . Notoriously bad at the arithmetic

Not having a pop at Jefferies Just found it funny

As it happens not what Typoon meant anyway

9 hours ago, jambonian said:

Your choices of comparison are strange. We picked up souttar who has been a good signing. Cosgrove fair enough but he didn’t have any credential before a couple of years ago whilst Wighton did. Unfortunately some time’s players don’t work out,

McGinn and McLean were the big two however they came during our admin years and both were signed for £300/£450k respectively. Whilst Callaghan  was brought in for a nominal fee.

You’ve claimed we’ve missed an absolute bargain in Nisbet earlier in the thread, time will tell. However we have Boyce and Naismith who you would expect to be our starting two up front so to sign a player for six figures in a position which isn’t a priority would be a bit wasteful. 

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I think we all remember how JJ was when he has actual money to spend. He’s much, much better on a tighter budget, his strength was getting the most out of the players he had.

Yeah I remember that well. The SMG money was a big example of that.

10 hours ago, jambonian said:

IMO its not that Aberdeen or Hibs are beating us to better players as if they are a preferred option, while all 3 clubs probably have quite similar budgets and actual targets it seems to be quite often that their is a genuine transfer battle and a player chooses between Hibs or Hearts or Aberdeen. What is happening is that our scouting and transfer team has been atrocious in recent years and that is what has seen Aberdeen and Hibs seemingly make better signings.

Eg

We sign Halkett and Motherwell sign Gallagher 

We sign Wighton and Livingston sign Dykes

We sign Callachan and Hibs sign McGinn

We sign Olly Lee and Killie sign Power

We sign Zlamal and St Mirren sign Hladky

There is plenty more examples of us signing a very poor player when a superior option is also available and some other Scottish club is able to snap them up. All teams have their transfer hits and missus's but it seems our scouting department is constantly picking the wrong players to sign and are much worse at identifying talent than our competitors in Aberdeen and Hibs.

Edited by Rooster20

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, Rooster20 said:

Your list makes no sense. Only Halkett and Gallacher signed for us and Well at the same time.

When he got injured, Halkett was on the verge of a Scotland call-up ahead of Gallacher. When both were at Livi, Halkett was considered by far the better player. Levein would have been crucified for signing 29 year old Gallacher over 23 year old Halkett

We signed Djoum when Hibs signed McGinn (both very good signings, McGinn obviously one a lot of clubs will regret not signing, Celtic included)

We didn't sign anyone when Livi signed Dykes in January, but we had signed Uche, Wighton, Naismith and McLean the summer before - would have been a decent strike force if all of them except McLean weren't injured for long spells

When Killie signed Power we signed Berra, Lafferty, McLaughlin and Smith. In midfield, we had Walker, Nicolson, Cowie, Kitchen, Djoum, and Bauben (good enough to be easy in 2nd when Neilson left). Cathro then signed Tziolis who was released when Power signed. All of then had a considerably better pedigree than Power. Where exactly would a 30 year old journeyman like him have fitted in and again imagine the stick if we'd signed him? 

When St Mirren were signing Hladky we were trying to get Craig Gordon. In the end we signed Boyce in that window.

Edited by ToqueJambo

7 hours ago, greggy123 said:

Who Boyce and Naismith? 

No, Damour and others like Martin and Oshinawa, Doyle and Wighton etc.

Edited by 1874robbo

20 hours ago, Boris said:

I don't think it's a case of either/or. An intelligent player would do both, as and when the opportunity arose. Giving the player artistic freedom is what I was getting at, rather than playing percentages, or being afraid to lose possession.

Agree. We were talking about Nicholson in his last spell who became predictable as he mostly cut inside running into a dead end and being blocked out. 

I like a winger that knows when to stretch the game. Go on the outside and force the defending team to cover more space as the full back is drawn out.  

If you have good midfielders, they know how to exploit the space as they get into the box. 

6 hours ago, Rooster20 said:

IMO its not that Aberdeen or Hibs are beating us to better players as if they are a preferred option, while all 3 clubs probably have quite similar budgets and actual targets it seems to be quite often that their is a genuine transfer battle and a player chooses between Hibs or Hearts or Aberdeen. What is happening is that our scouting and transfer team has been atrocious in recent years and that is what has seen Aberdeen and Hibs seemingly make better signings.

Eg

There is plenty more examples of us signing a very poor player when a superior option is also available and some other Scottish club is able to snap them up. All teams have their transfer hits and missus's but it seems our scouting department is constantly picking the wrong players to sign and are much worse at identifying talent than our competitors in Aberdeen and Hibs.

That’s just a list of hearts pish signings and 5 other teams good signings. It doesn’t mean much other than those 5 sides have made at least 1 good signing over the last few years and we’ve made 5 or more bad signings. Our recruitment is poor though. 

11 hours ago, greggy123 said:

I get your point but I think you’re overestimating the level required for the championship. The level will be less than last years competition and we should win the title easily. I know folk will go on about over confidence but only Dunfermline are actually bringing in significant signings and the one they’re getting excited about is Steven Whittaker.  

Samuel Camazzola
17 hours ago, jambonian said:

I don't think the Hibs examples are a case of them beating us to players. McGinn was on his way to the US level below the MLS as nobody wanted him until Hibs stepped in. Allan found his level at Hibs and Dundee as he couldn't make it elsewhere (his step up included Rotherham) . With those two on board, they failed to gain promotion on a couple of occasions. Gomis, Pallardo and Buaben proved to be more effective and influential recruits at that time. Hibs signings this summer have included two punts and a free agent from Hamilton. They may work out for them but nothing to get too excited about. Before that, they signed a huddy from St Mirren who was given the runaround by BSC Glasgow. 

Our recruitment has included as much disappointments as successes and needs improving but I wouldn't be looking at theirs as a benchmark. 

KyleLafferty

I’ve completely forgot that Hibs and Aberdeen dont sign duds and only players better than ours. They’ve signed the same amount of shite as us.

People can argue the merits of this player vs that, but overall no one can argue against the fact that recruitment has been generally poor over the last 3  to 4 years. Hearts have taken too many gambles on guys with “potential”  or those coming back from a long term injury. We have also given Too many long term Contracts to players who are unproven in our league. Hibs and Aberdeen have targeted players who have previously played in Scotland or others who have made a reputation for themselves in Lower leagues here, eg. Maclean McGinn. Teams like Motherwell and Killie aside from bringing through more players via their academies, have made better use of the English lower leagues to their benefit. 
Hearts go Way overseas to recruit the likes of Gurruccio, Bozanic Oshaniwa when you could pick up better or equivalent from the Scottish championship or English lower leagues. Finally, how many players have we had to agree severance money with because it has not worked out against the number we have  sold on for a profit. 

Austin MacGlee
On 18/07/2020 at 00:33, Special Officer Doofy said:

If Haring’s injury is finally sorted (big IF obviously), then I’d love to see him playing with a solid DCM behind him, because he’s much better than a spoiler/destroyer.

Couldn't agree more. Haring is no one trick pony. Really hope his injury troubles are in the past now because he is absolute class.

4 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Your list makes no sense. Only Halkett and Gallacher signed for us and Well at the same time.

When he got injured, Halkett was on the verge of a Scotland call-up ahead of Gallacher. When both were at Livi, Halkett was considered by far the better player. Levein would have been crucified for signing 29 year old Gallacher over 23 year old Halkett

We signed Djoum when Hibs signed McGinn (both very good signings, McGinn obviously one a lot of clubs will regret not signing, Celtic included)

We didn't sign anyone when Livi signed Dykes in January, but we had signed Uche, Wighton, Naismith and McLean the summer before - would have been a decent strike force if all of them except McLean weren't injured for long spells

When Killie signed Power we signed Berra, Lafferty, McLaughlin and Smith. In midfield, we had Walker, Nicolson, Cowie, Kitchen, Djoum, and Bauben (good enough to be easy in 2nd when Neilson left). Cathro then signed Tziolis who was released when Power signed. All of then had a considerably better pedigree than Power. Where exactly would a 30 year old journeyman like him have fitted in and again imagine the stick if we'd signed him? 

When St Mirren were signing Hladky we were trying to get Craig Gordon. In the end we signed Boyce in that window.

Pesky facts !

Hopefully now Robbie has full autonomy of the players coming in and out, we should hopefully see an end to the punt/moneyball approach. We need to stop turning over 10/15 players a transfer window and target specific areas of the side for improvement. The squad needs to be trim and competitive. The wage structure of big salaries and tiny bonuses addressed as well. I hope Robbie can turn that round.