Robbie Neilson is back

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Clerry Jambo

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-tray-awaiting-robbie-neilson-when-he-starts-work-tynecastle-next-week-2896748

The Hearts in-tray awaiting Robbie Neilson when he starts work at Tynecastle next week

A look at some of the tasks facing the new manager when he begins his second stint at the club

Robbie Neilson begins his second spell in charge of Hearts on Wednesday, 1 July. He finds himself in a familiar position having taken over a side recently relegated in his previous stint at Tynecastle.

Yet, the scenarios are completely different.

What are the issues and tasks facing him when he walks through the door? 

Robbie Neilson will have much to consider on his return to the Hearts dugout. Picture: SNS

Poll a large section of Hearts fans asking what Neilson’s priority should be and the likelihood is signing a goalkeeper will win by a landslide. Since Jon McLaughlin departed after just one season, there have been issues in that department. All three of Zdenek Zlamal, Colin Doyle and Joel Pereira have made errors across the past two campaigns. 

No one has established themselves as the true No.1 at Tynecastle with the goalkeeping troubles a fine metaphor for the club’s struggles.

The signing of someone like Craig Gordon would be transformative. Hearts would be getting one of the best goalkeepers in Scotland. A genuine match winner. On top of that he is someone who knows the club inside out and will have a good relationship with Neilson having not only been team-mates at club level but international level as well.

Craig Gordon has been in talks with Hearts over a return. Picture: SNS

A proven winner, Gordon would bring huge experience to the club and could be a very handy conduit between Neilson and the squad. In addition, his presence would be massive in the development of Harry Stone, someone the club rate highly.

Play the Northern Irishman at right-back and he excels. Move him into the middle and he excels. The same when fielded at left-back or in the middle of midfield. It is curious as to why he wasn’t tried in goals, such is his versatility and reliability.

Robbie Neilson will have a defensive headache this coming campaign. Christophe Berra has returned, Craig Halkett remains, John Souttar is on the mend and then there is Chris Hamilton ready to break through. It could be argued, though, that Smith is in fact the club’s best centre-back, and he has talked about his comfort there, namely playing as a sweeper, such is his reading of the game.

Michael Smith excels, no matter which position he plays. Picture: SNS

It wouldn’t be a bad move to build the defence around him. It would, however, mean a new first choice right-back. 

As was seen in Neilson’s first spell, Callum Paterson provided attacking thrust from the position, something Sean Clare has shown capabilities of. Then there is also Jamie Brandon who is definitely in need of a run of games to prove his worth having signed a new deal.

Neilson’s mere presence isn’t enough to lift what many view as an injury hex around the club. The last couple of seasons have been a nightmare when it comes to serious injuries, niggles or strains. Levein, understandably, was regular in expressing his frustration with the club exploring different avenues as to why it has been so bad.

Injuries have been a real issue at Tynecastle. Picture: SNS

Some fans have queried pre-season training which at times has been a throwback with trips to Gullane and running the dunes, but that is probably too simplistic and just gives some another reason to criticise Levein.

In Neilson’s first spell, the first-team squad were largely robust. Osman Sow had injury niggles which has persisted throughout his career, while Soufian El Hassnaoui was hampered by injury. 

Keeping players fit will be key to getting the team to hit top form.

Home hasn’t been where the heart is

Every team wants their home ground to be that ‘fortress’. In many a season it has been that way for Hearts with difficulties perpetuating away from Tynecastle.

Yet, as the team has struggled it has been reflected in the home form.

Anthony McDonald is one of a number of youngsters looking to make their mark at Hearts next season. Picture: SNS

In the 48 home league games after the new Main Stand was erected, Hearts have won just 17 times in front of their fans. Contrast that to the 27 wins in the previous 48 home league matches. Defeats have risen from nine to 14.

Becoming reliable in Gorgie is key for progress.

The past two seasons has seen Ross County, Motherwell (twice), Hamilton (twice), St Johnstone (twice), Livingston (three times) and Kilmarnock (four times) all take points away from Tynecastle. 

Plenty room for improvement.

Anyone looking at the Hearts squad will know it is more than good enough to ease back into the Premiership. Neilson takes over a team which is much further forward than the one inherited in 2014 when replacing Gary Locke.

While it means there may be less room to overhaul, he does possess key components to be a success and build a team around.

The dreadful form across the last 20 months has sapped the spirit and confidence of the team, that is clear to see and something previous managers have mentioned.

Neilson’s arrival is sure to give many a lift with Jamie Walker and John Souttar having no doubt expressed their views to team-mates having been at the club during his first stint.

This is a team which needs a shot in the arm, and a bit of distance provided by the football shutdown could have been beneficial to reset and reinvigorate players.

There are a number of individuals who are no doubt talented but in clear need of on-field direction, including Walker.

As was the case the first time around, Neilson takes over a squad which possesses players with plenty of potential. Only, this time around only one is a first-team regular, Aaron Hickey.

Continuing his development path his key, as his finding a path for Harry Cochrane and Anthony McDonald. Two exceptionally gifted youngsters who need a steer and the trust of a manager. Behind them is perhaps the most talented of academy players Connor Smith, emboldened by a productive loan spell at Cowdenbeath.

In front of those three are the likes of Andy Iriving, Euan Henderson and Lewis Moore who all made their own impact in 2019/20.

There is scope for this new-look Hearts to be built around youth.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Bongo 1874

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

So not replying to my points then about Stendel?

Are you saying Daniel Stendel is a better manager than Craig Levein because I'd be interested to know what you base that on? Stendel may yet have a fantastic career (although what has he won exactly to make him NOT a serial loser like Levein?) but Levein has had a demonstrably better career than Stendel, even including his last spell with us where he had almost a 40% win record (compared to Stendel's atrocious 29% which was only slightly better than Cathro's). For context, Levein's first spell was 44%, Sergio had a 42% record, JJ in his first spell had a 44% record and in his second spell a 41% win record. Czaba Laslo had a 40% record and got us 3rd. 

Stats eh! And none of that is saying Levein should still be our manager although I do believe he would have won us more points with the players Stendel got back from injury plus a signing like Boyce.

Levein turned around the poor form under Cathro to the extent that we were top of the league for a couple of months and got to a cup final before all the injuries. Stendel, at best, had us playing some slightly more attacking football in a few games. At worst, he was cementing our place at the foot of the table.

First of all I'll call you a couple gibbering wrecks, you don't know what you are posting, you have both contradicted yourselves, and both have done on many occasions, which can be seen In the post i put up, and to now say the two of you are clutching at straws, is an understatement. 

Next Stendel managerial record is

Managerial Career

Team W D L WIN%
Heart of Midlothian 5 5 7 29.4
Barnsley 33 17 18 48.5
Hannover 96 15 7 6 53.6
TOTAL 53 29 31 46.9

Stendel between England and Scotland has not even had two years experience yet? Yet here youse are opinating on a guy, that has had three months of football in Scotland , and yet you backed a serial loser for how long?. 

When things were blatantly obvious we were only going one way, and that was downhill.

Honestly you couldn't make this up. 

And you have the cheek to say Stendel got a lot of money, that's utter bollocks 😂he had to ship players out the door Budge said that? Please don't make things up. 

If we hadn't got the offer for jake the fake, Stendel was getting **** all along with whelan and berra, Budge made this clear during the press conference. 

Ooofftt!. 

25 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

So not replying to my points then about Stendel?

Are you saying Daniel Stendel is a better manager than Craig Levein because I'd be interested to know what you base that on? Stendel may yet have a fantastic career (although what has he won exactly to make him NOT a serial loser like Levein?) but Levein has had a demonstrably better career than Stendel, even including his last spell with us where he had almost a 40% win record (compared to Stendel's atrocious 29% which was only slightly better than Cathro's). For context, Levein's first spell was 44%, Sergio had a 42% record, JJ in his first spell had a 44% record and in his second spell a 41% win record. Czaba Laslo had a 40% record and got us 3rd. 

Stats eh! And none of that is saying Levein should still be our manager although I do believe he would have won us more points with the players Stendel got back from injury plus a signing like Boyce.

Levein turned around the poor form under Cathro to the extent that we were top of the league for a couple of months and got to a cup final before all the injuries. Stendel, at best, had us playing some slightly more attacking football in a few games. At worst, he was cementing our place at the foot of the table.

6 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Grow up Bongo  :rofl:

Stendel you waxed lyrical. It didn't work out. 

Facts eh :)

By far and a way Neilson has the best record of a Hearts manager serving a couple of years in quite some time. 

You then somehow managed to push the lack of success once he left completely contradicting yourself. 

You certainly have good contacts though chum  👍

Personally speaking i would actually question if the two of you support Hearts? 

Bad Religion
15 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Personally speaking i would actually question if the two of you support Hearts? 

You going to pretend to be ITK again this transfer window?

1 minute ago, Bad Religion said:

You going to pretend to be ITK again this transfer window?

Does it bother you if I do like? 

Because i had plenty people thanking me for my information i put up, and plenty pms. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
7 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Does it bother you if I do like? 

Because i had plenty people thanking me for my information i put up, and plenty pms. 

All I’d say in your defence about ITK is that some of the utter shite posters have been coming out with on the big COVID thread is staggering - and people still indulge them.

Lay off Neilson though. It’s a lazy appointment, sure, but he’ll get us up if we’re in the Champ.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

First of all I'll call you a couple gibbering wrecks, you don't know what you are posting, you have both contradicted yourselves, and both have done on many occasions, which can be seen In the post i put up, and to now say the two of you are clutching at straws, is an understatement. 

Next Stendel managerial record is

Managerial Career

Team W D L WIN%
Heart of Midlothian 5 5 7 29.4
Barnsley 33 17 18 48.5
Hannover 96 15 7 6 53.6
TOTAL 53 29 31 46.9

Stendel between England and Scotland has not even had two years experience yet? Yet here youse are opinating on a guy, that has had three months of football in Scotland , and yet you backed a serial loser for how long?. 

When things were blatantly obvious we were only going one way, and that was downhill.

Honestly you couldn't make this up. 

And you have the cheek to say Stendel got a lot of money, that's utter bollocks 😂he had to ship players out the door Budge said that? Please don't make things up. 

If we hadn't got the offer for jake the fake, Stendel was getting **** all along with whelan and berra, Budge made this clear during the press conference. 

Ooofftt!. 

I backed Levein up until November or whenever as probably having as good a chance of turning around our form when we got players back from injury as anyone. I based that on his previous career and the fact that he had done it with us before. Stendel didn't prove me wrong either. 

Anyhow, you just compared a manager with 53 games under his belt to one with 643 - over 500 of them at the same or a higher level than Stendel. Let's see how Stendel does after he's managed for another 500 or so games. You seem to be able to know what will happen before they actually happen so maybe you can jump ahead 20 years or so to tell us how Stendel go on? By the way I wanted Stendel to get the job (although Robbo was my first choice).

All we can do is judge Stendel on how he did at Hearts and he did not do very well at all. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

12 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I backed Levein up until November or whenever as probably having as good a chance of turning around our form when we got players back from injury as anyone. I based that on his previous career and the fact that he had done it with us before. Stendel didn't prove me wrong either. 

Anyhow, you just compared a manager with 53 games under his belt to one with 643 - over 500 of them at the same or a higher level than Stendel. Let's see how Stendel does after he's managed for another 500 or so games. You seem to be able to know what will happen before they actually happen so maybe you can jump ahead 20 years or so to tell us how Stendel go on? By the way I wanted Stendel to get the job (although Robbo was my first choice).

All we can do is judge Stendel on how he did at Hearts and he did not do very well at all. 

First of all I will say you mentioned the words utter bollocks, earlier on in a post well now you seem to be talking them, in your latest few post's. 

You are then turning around and saying, that I'm trying to compare when indeed it was you only a few post's ago, who put up levein's stats etc etc..... 

I only countered and put up Stendels stats which i believe you and a few others will be quite miffed at. 

You are constantly making things up as you go along, 

The rest of your post is sheer and utter nonsense, your tag team mate seems to have backed off, and going by your last few post's i would advise you do the same, because the hole is only getting bigger and bigger. 

And you are now at the stage where you a just making a fool of yourself. 

Guest ToqueJambo
29 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

First of all I will say you mentioned the words utter bollocks, earlier on in a post well now you seem to be talking them, in your latest few post's. 

You are then turning around and saying, that I'm trying to compare when indeed it was you only a few post's ago, who put up levein's stats etc etc..... 

I only countered and put up Stendels stats which i believe you and a few others will be quite miffed at. 

You are constantly making things up as you go along, 

The rest of your post is sheer and utter nonsense, your tag team mate seems to have backed off, and going by your last few post's i would advise you do the same, because the hole is only getting bigger and bigger. 

And you are now at the stage where you a just making a fool of yourself. 

No you compared Stendel’s 3 months to Levein’s “serial loser” status ( in your mind). I just replied saying Stendel has won nothing and has done less than Levein as a manager, including being a significantly worse Hearts manager than Levein was. And I backed it up with stats. 

I asked why you thought Stendel was so good and you didn’t reply.

You brought up Levein and Stendel in a thread about Neilson.

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

No you compared Stendel’s 3 months to Levein’s “serial loser” status ( in your mind). I just replied saying Stendel has won nothing and has done less than Levein as a manager, including being a significantly worse Hearts manager than Levein was. And I backed it up with stats. 

tenor.gif

6 hours ago, jambopilms said:

If you say so, someone who got the boot from a team bottom of the English championship, but seemed like a nice bloke. I don't know if that was inspired or not but it was a disaster. Promised lots, delivered nothing. If that's what inspirational brings then no thanks.

Pick and choose, pick and choose 

What happened with RN at MK Dons ?

Point being, that you can’t just select any one thing that happened with any manager, and not consider their other achievements, especially when it suits to back up a debate 

It’s far too selective 

You start off a comment around having a nice guy on board, but who got the boot from the championship 

He won League 1 the year before this. No mention of the circumstances around his dismissal. Assuming over 40 games or so, Stendel just got lucky with the promotion as a manager, he didn’t have a clue what he was doing. Don’t buy that at all, especially over a full season in charge. The facts would suggest its madness to suggest otherwise. Anyway ..  

Fine to disagree and all that. Personally, I think we haven’t moved the needle with this appointment, and Personally, would have preferred that we kept Stendel.

Why? Purely Something different, no fear of anyone especially the OF, just wanted to win games, play on the front foot -

Consistency ? Far from it, he didn’t have this in place and didn’t get to fulfill the above, but that was more a timing issue in my own opinion .. AB saw to that

he just didn’t get the time required where we could all have witnessed something different and refreshing and outwith the norm in the Scottish Fitbaw Goldfish bowl. That’s now conjecture only, not one of us will ever know now 

Still really gutted at what’s happened, but will get behind RN.  Good record with us before, so best of luck to him. 

12 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Look mate. Widely commented on you have had a mare.

Don't try and deflect your shit. 

We are talking about managing in Scotland not England. 

Its about knowing your shit. 

Do have a think to yourself. You need education clearly,  many of us have seen that on this thread. 

At leest a spell cheque

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Backed it up with stats 😀

No one is arguing or can argue that Leveins first spell at Hearts was very good. He did well, very well. Had a great team and signed some absolute gems. I remember that time with him in charge as overall being a success. 

Point being as he has got older, he has got worse, and probably more so around the fact that he wouldn’t adapt and move with the times tactically 

When comparing 2 managers, I’m personally more interested in how each manager would perform in the here and now, as there is no value in looking at what they done in the past, especially if they can’t or won’t do it now 

Anyway Stendel was in no way a worse Hearts Manager than Levein (2nd time around). That’s just absolute bollocks 

Allow for an overall comparison in all of Leveins total amount of tenure - you may Have a point to compare against Stendels performance and I would agree as well

2nd time around, it’s stupid even trying to argue it.

Levein left the club in the state it was in today and because he wasn’t last man in charge and Stendel was brought in, and for all the Levein fan boys, that gave them the excuse to blame someone else for their own hero’s abject failure in taking the club down to the deepest depths whilst managing to piss up the 3rd biggest playing budget on the league at the same time 

Thats the hard and fast reality but they won’t or haven’t got the temerity to admit that’s what it really is 

11 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

I dunno about anyone else but Rangers will most likely always top my most hated list. Mainly because in my formative football watching years, those ***** ran roughshod over everyone, spunking money (that it eventually turned out they never really had) on players they didn't need or want, wasting their talents on the bench and generally treating the rest of Scottish football like the dirt on the bottom of their shoe. 

I don't really hate Hibs. In my life following Hearts they've been little more than an irritating insect, completely insignificant, a play thing to use as we wish that, occasionally, will give you a little sting but far more often than not will get squished. Don't get me wrong, I love smashing the vermin tramps because I'm a nasty git who enjoys their misery. But I don't really get bothered by them being happy. A happy Hibbe is of no consequence to me. 

Sorry mate but can’t get my head around this at all 

You Don’t mind a happy hibee ? Hopefully one that didn’t take the time to put pen to paper writing to Lithuania in the Romanov years trying to topple our club ? Absolute Scum, scum club, scum support, just Scum, full stop 

will never stop hating or despising them for as long as I live, not to the point of wishing them illness or anything like that, but as long as they support that shower, I wish them nothing more than a life of abject misery and dejection, as that’s the consequence of taking up and supporting that shite 

Rangers is more like the irritating insect you infer. Yes, spunked money left right and centre? We Ra the people, no one likes us and we don’t care and all of that shite. Irritating to say the least. 

I get the sectarian piece with them but as I couldn’t give a shit about religion in the first place Rangers will always have a bit of annoyance about them, and that’s as far as it goes. Don’t get me wrong when we play them, I detest them, but that’s until the next time that we play them. Don’t even think about them, inbetween games 

Hubs on the other hand  - Apart from wishing nothing but the worst for them and week to week, if they rolled over and went belly up tomorrow, I would swop that for winning the lottery the following week.

Spoon burning arseholes and the ultimate definition of hatred in my book 

1 hour ago, Hearts1975 said:

Sorry mate but can’t get my head around this at all 

You Don’t mind a happy hibee ? Hopefully one that didn’t take the time to put pen to paper writing to Lithuania in the Romanov years trying to topple our club ? Absolute Scum, scum club, scum support, just Scum, full stop 

will never stop hating or despising them for as long as I live, not to the point of wishing them illness or anything like that, but as long as they support that shower, I wish them nothing more than a life of abject misery and dejection, as that’s the consequence of taking up and supporting that shite 

Rangers is more like the irritating insect you infer. Yes, spunked money left right and centre? We Ra the people, no one likes us and we don’t care and all of that shite. Irritating to say the least. 

I get the sectarian piece with them but as I couldn’t give a shit about religion in the first place Rangers will always have a bit of annoyance about them, and that’s as far as it goes. Don’t get me wrong when we play them, I detest them, but that’s until the next time that we play them. Don’t even think about them, inbetween games 

Hubs on the other hand  - Apart from wishing nothing but the worst for them and week to week, if they rolled over and went belly up tomorrow, I would swop that for winning the lottery the following week.

Spoon burning arseholes and the ultimate definition of hatred in my book 

See, I don't begrudge them their hatred. It's one of the reasons I almost don't mind Hibs. It just makes it all the more funnier when we inevitably bounce quickly back from whatever brink they think we were on, and even more enjoyable when they rage at the unfairness of it all when they're rapidly back to getting boabied up and down off the big maroon sausage, after whatever brief period of time they claim a success.

I mean seriously, these guys got excited when they got to double figures unbeaten in derbies. I've watched us horse them straight in every conceivable way for more than 20 in a row. 

Twice.

Yeah, don't begrudge them their hatred. Totally understand it. If the shoe was on the other foot and all I knew in 40 odd years was getting ravaged up the rectum off my derby rivals, in every kinky, sordid way they could imagine, I'd ****ing hate them too. 

Whereas the Huns, the Huns ****ed us for pretty much 9 years solid, and a fair amount after 9iar too. I had to watch those *****, with their bigoted pish, lording it over all and sundry, at exactly the age where I started following football. And to top it off, the dirty ****ers spent half that time screwing everyone with money they didn't have. It's like getting a hooker to do the most degrading thing possible knowing you're going to pay them with a bouncing cheque. Er.... I'd imagine..... 

Basically, those ***** at Ibrox have inflicted more misery on me watching football than Hibs. 

That's why I hate them more. 

Edited by Normthebarman

2 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

See, I don't begrudge them their hatred. It's one of the reasons I almost don't mind Hibs. It just makes it all the more funnier when we inevitably bounce quickly back from whatever brink they think we were on, and even more enjoyable when they rage at the unfairness of it all when they're rapidly back to getting boabied up and down off the big maroon sausage, after whatever brief period of time they claim a success.

I mean seriously, these guys got excited when they got to double figures unbeaten in derbies. I've watched us horse them straight in every conceivable way for more than 20 in a row. 

Twice.

Yeah, don't begrudge them their hatred. Totally understand it. If the shoe was on the other foot and all I knew in 40 odd years was getting ravaged up the rectum off my derby rivals, in every kinky, sordid way they could imagine, I'd ****ing hate them too. 

Whereas the Huns, the Huns ****ed us for pretty much 9 years solid, and a fair amount after 9iar too. I had to watch those *****, with their bigoted pish, lording it over all and sundry, at exactly the age where I started following football. And to top it off, the dirty ****ers spent half that time screwing everyone with money they didn't have. It's like getting a hooker to do the most degrading thing possible knowing you're going to pay them with a bouncing cheque. Er.... I'd imagine..... 

Basically, those ***** at Ibrox have inflicted more misery on me watching football than Hibs. 

That's why I hate them more. 

😀 Fully Understand your reasons, and I guess that’s what having opinions is all about. There is no right or wrong. 

Don’t get me wrong, if The 2 arse cheeks or hubs come to Tynie or we are playing them away, then it’s venom all round, but if I was put on the spot, and I had to pick 1 out of the 3, and To detest, it’s the vermin for me, all day long 

Sorry, but just at a casual glance, this the thread has become a shambles.  The correct approach is to wish Robbie every success.  Nothing else actually means anything.

Unknown user
10 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Sorry, but just at a casual glance, this the thread has become a shambles.  The correct approach is to wish Robbie every success.  Nothing else actually means anything.

Who needs hibs fans when we've got Hearts fans to stick the boot in?

Stendel did not work out at the club for a variety of reasons he’s gone we move on get Behind Neilson and the team

2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Why don’t you let us know what .net are saying about Neilson and really add to the debate?

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

Who needs hibs fans when we've got Hearts fans to stick the boot in?

Indeed. 

3 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Pop everyone over a DM. Bound to go the way you hope if you set out the rules. 

18 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

That day was a very weird lose/lose win/win. In that no matter what, one of those ***** would win. But equally, one of them would be miserable. 

I'll be honest, it was a proper Sophie's Choice for me. Will seeing happy Huns piss me off more than laughing at Hibs? Or does watching the mutants celebrate hurt more than knowing there's a bunch of seething Huns? I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about that result to be honest. 

Really? I was gutted those feckers won it.

18Jambo_dave74

I wasn’t overly excited about Neilson coming back and I agree with the comments on his derby record, Birkirkara and style of play towards the end of his time. However I think to say he didn’t do a good job would be wrong. There should probably be some recognition that it was his first job in management so was never going to get everything right - hopefully he’s learned a few lessons for this time round.

I do think some people that are overly critical need to recognise and understand that aside from Neilson, we are now approaching nearly a decade of failed managers going back to Sergio leaving us in 2012. One of the criticisms of Neilson was away performances - well I’d say that the performances away from home under Sergio were horrendous to watch. 

Since Sergio left we’ve had McGlynn, Locke, Neilson, Cathro, Levein and Stendel. All failed barring Neilson. I don’t think anyone is saying he’s perfect but on the face of it I’d say it’s not a bad appointment.

on Stendel I think everyone wanted it to work and he was extremely likeable. The brand of football he wanted to play was different and people liked the idea of it. I wouldn’t disagree with with the “right man wrong time” argument but he simply wasn’t doing a good job and should have done better. Of course he inherited a mess but still should have made much much more progress.

I just hope everyone can get behind the club and Neilson. 

15 hours ago, Gulf Jambo said:

Away from the Stendel vs Neilson debate. 

John Rankin has retired from playing with Clyde to focus on coaching with us. 

Anyone think he might be getting bumped up to the 1st team by Robbie? 

Atm he's doing the U18's/Reserves and seems to be very highly rated 

Hope so but possibly has offer from elsewhere and that’s why he has given up playing though he was struggling with injuries. 

Delighted to get Robbie back , I personally think he'll get a tune out a good of our squad , let's be honest Stendel was a pretty disastrous appointment. 

jack D and coke
On 25/06/2020 at 17:10, Bongo 1874 said:

No we can't but what we can blame him for is the turgid way we played away from home, the money spinner quote, and the Cup replay which was absolutey diabolical, also a few other games i could mention. 

He had his flaws and everything wasn't as rosey as a few would like to make out on here. 

He's only going to have to lose a few games and the fans will turn again, in my opinion. 

It’s the first game against Hibs at Easter road especially that he has to show some balls in. 
He’s not popular in quite a few fans eyes, that I’ve been speaking to anyway and a meek, insipid display over there won’t go down well here. 
I include myself in that. 

15 hours ago, Bad Religion said:

You going to again be ITK again this transfer window?

FTFY

2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s the first game against Hibs at Easter road especially that he has to show some balls in. 
He’s not popular in quite a few fans eyes, that I’ve been speaking to anyway and a meek, insipid display over there won’t go down well here. 
I include myself in that. 

Totally agree 👍

georgiehearts66
On 25/06/2020 at 12:44, jambopilms said:

Some folk still thinking Robbie wanted a replay? He had a shit choice of words, when he was obviously pissed off and deflated. ****ing get over it, bunch of moaning wee girls.

Yeah but remember that time he said, yeah but Levein, yeah but money spinner, yeah but, yeah but.....he's a phoodle..... 

4 years later still going on. Pathetic ******s.

Grown adults? give me a break.

This

Guest ToqueJambo
15 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

Backed it up with stats 😀

No one is arguing or can argue that Leveins first spell at Hearts was very good. He did well, very well. Had a great team and signed some absolute gems. I remember that time with him in charge as overall being a success. 

Point being as he has got older, he has got worse, and probably more so around the fact that he wouldn’t adapt and move with the times tactically 

When comparing 2 managers, I’m personally more interested in how each manager would perform in the here and now, as there is no value in looking at what they done in the past, especially if they can’t or won’t do it now 

Anyway Stendel was in no way a worse Hearts Manager than Levein (2nd time around). That’s just absolute bollocks 

Allow for an overall comparison in all of Leveins total amount of tenure - you may Have a point to compare against Stendels performance and I would agree as well

2nd time around, it’s stupid even trying to argue it.

Levein left the club in the state it was in today and because he wasn’t last man in charge and Stendel was brought in, and for all the Levein fan boys, that gave them the excuse to blame someone else for their own hero’s abject failure in taking the club down to the deepest depths whilst managing to piss up the 3rd biggest playing budget on the league at the same time 

Thats the hard and fast reality but they won’t or haven’t got the temerity to admit that’s what it really is 

Levein wasn't even worse than Stendel in the season Levein got sacked. He won 0.8 pts per game to Stendel's 0.77. And Levein did it with Mclean and Uche as his only fit forwards for most of his games last season, and had to rely on Berra in defence with no Halkett or Souttar available. Stendel had Naismith, Washington, Uche, Boyce, McLean and Walker to call on up front and Souttar, Berra and Halkett to choose from in defence. Stendel finished games with 5 forwards on the pitch FFS.

Levein was shite during his last 18 months, not helped by injuries, and it was clear he was done by the end. But let's be honest, Stendel did nothing to give us confidence he could turn things around. Even Austin McPhee did better than Stendel in terms of pts per game while in charge. 

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Levein wasn't even worse than Stendel in the season Levein got sacked. He won 0.8 pts per game to Stendel's 0.77. And Levein did it with Mclean and Uche as his only fit forwards for most of his games last season, and had to rely on Berra in defence with no Halkett or Souttar available. Stendel had Naismith, Washington, Uche, Boyce, McLean and Walker to call on up front and Souttar, Berra and Halkett to choose from in defence. Stendel finished games with 5 forwards on the pitch FFS.

Levein was shite during his last 18 months, not helped by injuries, and it was clear he was done by the end. But let's be honest, Stendel did nothing to give us confidence he could turn things around. Even Austin McPhee did better than Stendel in terms of pts per game while in charge. 

Ann Budge knew what she was getting with DS and whoever was advising her should have realised drastic changes are going to take time to work. Time which we didn’t have. Yet another shite managerial appointment from her. 

Stendel didn’t have enough time to overhaul things. Any sensible supporter wouldn’t judge a manager attempting to completely change the way the team plays after such a brief period, which started with him having to choose one of Levein’s men to be an assistant and with a rapid fire series of fixtures. The players imo, weren’t fit and were blowing out there arse after half an hour. 

The damage Craig Levein has done to this club runs deep. It was Levein’s squad that was the culmination of 5 years of Levein guidance with the third or fourth biggest spend in the league that left us in the lofty position of joint bottom on goal difference on the day he left. Hardly a good starting point and no margin for error for a guy coming in looking to radically change things. 

Remember Stendel said he was shocked at the condition of the players when he came in. That didn't surprise me as most clubs that turned up at Tynecastle appeared to be a yard sharper and won more 50-50 balls than we did. Players all looked knackered midway through the second half of a game. I also think that a lot of the injury problems was to do with poor training methods, said it years ago and still say that to this day. The players Stendel had to choose from were signed to the club to play a certain way, a defensive style game whereas Stendel was more out and out attack. A few players bought into his way of thinking, like Clare, Bozanic and others. Some other players weren't interested in what he wanted to do and some weren't even good enough to change their mindset and get with it. I said at the time he came in that it would take around 18 months to turn this shambles around. Was never going to happen in the four months he was here, impossible so anyone that slags the guy off without him getting a proper go at it must live in cuckoo land if they thought he could turn it around that quickly.

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Ok. Fair enough

See below.

In All fairness GR provides a far better rationale than I did, and when judging the 2 managers directly together, why the comparison on using direct win stats, between the 2, is flawed, to say the least. 

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Ann Budge knew what she was getting with DS and whoever was advising her should have realised drastic changes are going to take time to work. Time which we didn’t have. Yet another shite managerial appointment from her. 

Stendel didn’t have enough time to overhaul things. Any sensible supporter wouldn’t judge a manager attempting to completely change the way the team plays after such a brief period, which started with him having to choose one of Levein’s men to be an assistant and with a rapid fire series of fixtures. The players imo, weren’t fit and were blowing out there arse after half an hour. 

The damage Craig Levein has done to this club runs deep. It was Levein’s squad that was the culmination of 5 years of Levein guidance with the third or fourth biggest spend in the league that left us in the lofty position of joint bottom on goal difference on the day he left. Hardly a good starting point and no margin for error for a guy coming in looking to radically change things. 

You couldn’t have explained it any better In your above summary 

Great Post 👏

6 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Remember Stendel said he was shocked at the condition of the players when he came in. That didn't surprise me as most clubs that turned up at Tynecastle appeared to be a yard sharper and won more 50-50 balls than we did. Players all looked knackered midway through the second half of a game. I also think that a lot of the injury problems was to do with poor training methods, said it years ago and still say that to this day. The players Stendel had to choose from were signed to the club to play a certain way, a defensive style game whereas Stendel was more out and out attack. A few players bought into his way of thinking, like Clare, Bozanic and others. Some other players weren't interested in what he wanted to do and some weren't even good enough to change their mindset and get with it. I said at the time he came in that it would take around 18 months to turn this shambles around. Was never going to happen in the four months he was here, impossible so anyone that slags the guy off without him getting a proper go at it must live in cuckoo land if they thought he could turn it around that quickly.

Completely Valid Points raised and your spot on. it was a long term appointment. Everyone knew this at the time. Guy is sitting in his house in Germany saying that he didn’t care what league we were in, only that he wanted to continue what he had started, and that it was unfinished business, as far as he was concerned. It all adds up.

AB should have known this as well. 

17 games is just a ridiculous amount of time to be judging anyone on performance when they are asked to completely overhaul the football side. Utterly insane. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, jambonian said:

Well, hopefully we’ll find out soon how Robbie does with a lot of the same players. Stendel failed to use the players he got back from injury well enough. There was more than enough quality. If they weren’t suitable for a particular style of play he should have adapted his style, especially considering our dire situation.

He basically did what Cathro did, stuck to a style even though it wasnt working and he didn’t seem

to have the players for it. He started adapting his style too late. We didn’t have 18 months and Stendel should have realised that. He had one job - pill us out of relegation danger and he was failing at it when football stopped.

Its open to debate the players were signed to play defensively. We didn’t start 2018/19 defensively and the summer signings pre 19/20 were mostly attackers. Shame most of them

were mostly injured until a few months ago.

Edited by ToqueJambo

7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Well, hopefully we’ll find out soon how Robbie does with a lot of the same players. Stendel failed to use the players he got back from injury well enough. There was more than enough quality. If they weren’t suitable for a particular style of play he should have adapted his style, especially considering our dire situation.

He basically did what Cathro did, stuck to a style even though it wasnt working and he didn’t seem

to have the players for it. He started adapting his style too late. We didn’t have 18 months and Stendel should have realised that. He had one job - pill us out of relegation danger and he was failing at it when football stopped.

He failed, there’s no denying that but who knows what would have happened if he had got those last 8 games. Plenty managers have been close to the sack at all sorts of levels then got a decent transfer window under their belt and done well.  

We were on a long term downward trajectory before DS arrived and the only way his appointment was going to work was by clearing out loads of players and spending a decent amount of cash on a new look squad. It’s unlikely, given the financial situation, that would have happened this summer so on balance Robbie is probably a much safer appointment and is much more likely to get the bunch of wasters in our squad to play well enough to win the Championship. 

Greedy Jambo

As I've said, I'll get behind Robbie and i hope he's learned from his mistakes, but can't help but feel that part of the reason Ann wanted him is because she's ran out of pals in the football department, Levein is gone, Macphee is gone, Rather than getting the right man, she's may have just gone for someone she can trust. 

7 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

As I've said, I'll get behind Robbie and i hope he's learned from his mistakes, but can't help but feel that part of the reason Ann wanted him is because she's ran out of pals in the football department, Levein is gone, Macphee is gone, Rather than getting the right man, she's may have just gone for someone she can trust. 

Maybe Ann realised why Robbie left and now the problem is not there.

Greedy Jambo
1 minute ago, jambopilms said:

Yeah, I've been trying to tell myself that as well, but i think Craig dealing with all the behind the scenes shit actually helped Robbie. 

Robbie said himself that he failed at MK Don's because he had to do everything him self. 

Greedy Jambo

You've got the likes of Tommy Wright that has been doing everything himself for 15 years, Could have got him on a free, but he wouldn't be a yes man. 

kingantti1874
26 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

You've got the likes of Tommy Wright that has been doing everything himself for 15 years, Could have got him on a free, but he wouldn't be a yes man. 

a dinosaur.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
22 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

yeah but tommy Wright’s not a tactical heavyweight like neilson

mind when Tommy Wright called hearts out for simulation to which neilson came out with some intellectual stuff about setting his team up to pressurise the st Johnstone back 4 into conceding fouls

outcome 1-0 to st Johnstone and 2 players booked for simulation for st johnstone

when challenged wright replied - that’s great we’ve won the game 1-O and the simulation 2-0

:lol:

back to chess board for prof neilson

39 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

I suspect Robbie wanted away from Levein rather than Hearts.

jack D and coke
9 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

Completely Valid Points raised and your spot on. it was a long term appointment. Everyone knew this at the time. Guy is sitting in his house in Germany saying that he didn’t care what league we were in, only that he wanted to continue what he had started, and that it was unfinished business, as far as he was concerned. It all adds up.

AB should have known this as well. 

17 games is just a ridiculous amount of time to be judging anyone on performance when they are asked to completely overhaul the football side. Utterly insane. 

I don’t know if I read it on here or some other social media (I’m pished) 

But we’ve seen the best of Robbie Neilson (well

hopefully not) but we’ll never see the best of Stendel now. 

I honestly feel to my bones that we’ve let something good slip through our fingers.
I get people will disagree with that and fair enough👍🏼