Daniel Stendel

wattie exploited

colinmaroon
Just now, Ex member of the SaS said:

I find it hard to believe that Stendel was shafted. Budge does not work that way and he has been consulted every step of the way. I feel sure he was OK with how things have been handled.

Agreed!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bongo 1874

• GinRummy

• wattie exploited

complete control
14 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It was awful I agree.  
Our record there is utterly appalling though like it is at most away grounds tbf. 
One goal or one point there in ten games or something hideous like that. 
Absolutely shocking stuff. 

we must be the worst away team out the so called big 6 teams in the last 20 years. its got to change soon.

jack D and coke
10 minutes ago, ROKERITE said:

I've supported Sunderland for nearly sixty years and would have to agree with you. The 1973 F.A. Cup win is our only real bit of glory in that time. We had a couple of good seasons around the turn of the century under Peter Reid, playing attractive, exciting football. Once Niall Quinn was over the hill Reid lost his way.

We entered a pattern of being in a relegation fight, replacing the manager, staying up and repeating it a year later. Martin O'Neill, Paolo Di Canio, Gus Poyet, Dick Advocat and Sam Allardyce all completed the Houdini act and all were gone before the end of the next season though the latter two left of their own accord. Then came the disaster that was David Moyes and now we're looking at a third straight season in the third tier. Of that list the one I was and am most sorry to see get the bullet was Di Canio. His sacking was a perfect example of why owners should back their manager over their players.

Heart of Midlothian is a fine football club and I was disappointed for you when you lost to Dundee in the final match of 1985-6. For Sunderland supporters of my generation the greatest sadness was having a board of directors who didn't give Brian Clough the manager's job when the opportunity arose on more than one occasion . How different our modern history would have been.

Good Luck to you whichever division you're in when football restarts.

Same to you mate👍🏼

2 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

I find it hard to believe that Stendel was shafted. Budge does not work that way and he has been consulted every step of the way. I feel sure he was OK with how things have been handled.

Not saying he was shafted he basically didn’t have a contract. It just seems bizarre we’ve had him hanging on for 3 months and the minute he says he’s got another offer we move like lightning signing up RN for 3 years in these strange times. Add a sporting director wage into the mix and it doesn’t make sense to me. 
But, it’s done now and we move on. I’m disappointed we haven’t had the chance to see him try build a team. I wanted a really attacking side for a change we’ve been guff to watch for what seems like years. 
It was an awful start, he came into a shitshow I believe but (imo) there were signs it was getting better. It’s just frustrating we aren’t getting to see him get his own team. There’s a nagging doubt now we’ve possibly missed a great opportunity. 

Not sorry to see him go tbh. He was still an unknown risk to me, that's a luxury that Hearts can ill afford.

Robbie Neilson has my backing 100%, particularly, as seems likely, we play in the Championship next season.

complete control
14 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Same to you mate👍🏼

Not saying he was shafted he basically didn’t have a contract. It just seems bizarre we’ve had him hanging on for 3 months and the minute he says he’s got another offer we move like lightning signing up RN for 3 years in these strange times. Add a sporting director wage into the mix and it doesn’t make sense to me. 
But, it’s done now and we move on. I’m disappointed we haven’t had the chance to see him try build a team. I wanted a really attacking side for a change we’ve been guff to watch for what seems like years. 
It was an awful start, he came into a shitshow I believe but (imo) there were signs it was getting better. It’s just frustrating we aren’t getting to see him get his own team. There’s a nagging doubt now we’ve possibly missed a great opportunity. 

and from a woman who says she has not got a clue aboot fitba. wonder who advised her ?

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, complete control said:

and from a woman who says she has not got a clue aboot fitba. wonder who advised her ?

I really don’t want to believe that happened to be honest. 

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

Stendel was okay but there was something unstable about him. Good attacking football but insane tactics when trying to avoid a relegation. 

Delighted sir robbie is back. He’s a good hard ******* of a manager.

David McCaig
11 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Same to you mate👍🏼

My big concern with Stendel was always that our best performances came from playing football that was atypical to Stendel’s preferred style.

The Rangers Cup and Hibs league wins came from a good old fashioned 442 and balls into the channels.  The instant we switched to Stendel’s preferred way of playing things generally turned instantly to shit.

And I don’t buy the nonsense that no one could have got a tune out of this Hearts squad, we had an almost unprecedented number of current internationals on the books.  These players are top 6 SPL players as Neilson will quickly prove.

A team with Michael Smith, Aaron Hickey and the returning Naismith, Washington and Souttar as well as a brilliant signing in Boyce, should not have been the worst side in the Premiership over the duration of Stendel’s tenure.

1 minute ago, David McCaig said:

My big concern with Stendel was always that our best performances came from playing football that was atypical to Stendel’s preferred style.

The Rangers Cup and Hibs league wins came from a good old fashioned 442 and balls into the channels.  The instant we switched to Stendel’s preferred way of playing things generally turned instantly to shit.

And I don’t buy the nonsense that no one could have got a tune out of this Hearts squad, we had an almost unprecedented number of current internationals on the books.  These players are top 6 SPL players as Neilson will quickly prove.

A team with Michael Smith, Aaron Hickey and the returning Naismith, Washington and Souttar as well as a brilliant signing in Boyce, should not have been the worst side in the Premiership over the duration of Stendel’s tenure.

100% on the money 

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

I don’t agree. It might’ve been balls into channels but that’s football all over the world for so many clubs. Football into channels makes it sound so simple but you can play balls into channels under Levein and you can play balls into channels under Stendel it’s a world of difference.
It’s a mentality I hoped he’d bring more than anything. 

Hectormasson
31 minutes ago, complete control said:

we must be the worst away team out the so called big 6 teams in the last 20 years. its got to change soon.

Spot on ☝️away record has been ridiculous !     Were an embarressment,    things will change and not before time....leveins tenure put us there with his pile of shit signings!       Hopefully this is the start of a proper rebuild,  and not a false dawn.......🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻☝️

David McCaig
6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I don’t agree. It might’ve been balls into channels but that’s football all over the world for so many clubs. Football into channels makes it sound so simple but you can play balls into channels under Levein and you can play balls into channels under Stendel it’s a world of difference.
It’s a mentality I hoped he’d bring more than anything. 

The Rangers and Hibs games also saw full backs go back to defending rather than trying to be our main attacking outlet.

He changed back to Stendel-ball at half time v St Mirren, it took 5 minutes for one long straight ball to carve us open.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

We all know the league position we found ourselves in was Leveins fault. 

Anyway onwards and upwards with style king.

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Hectormasson said:

Spot on ☝️away record has been ridiculous !     Were an embarressment,    things will change and not before time....leveins tenure put us there with his pile of shit signings!       Hopefully this is the start of a proper rebuild,  and not a false dawn.......🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻☝️

Why will it change? Its pretty much been this way the entire time I’ve been following Hearts, barring a couple of seasons (JJ and GB) which is well over 30 years now. 
Suddenly Robbie (who is very defensive minded) is going to transform this? You remember the likes of Oshiniwa and Sammon? Levein even telling him not to sign him? Kenny Anderson who fell over while running in a straight line? His bottle jobs at ER? 
I want Robbie to succeed as much as anyone and I hope he has learned a lot in his time away too. 

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Why did we wait so long to offer him anything though? It looked like the last thing on our mind and then the minute he announces he’s off we move like shite off a shovel and get a manager on a 3 year deal with the added wages of Davie Weir/Fysass type SD...

All my opinion of course but it looks fairly clear we didn’t want him to carry on. In that case we should have put him straight a couple of months ago and let him and us move on. 
It’s done now I suppose so hopefully RN can be good for us. I just hope he’s more positive though. 

You have hit the nail on the head mate 

All done rather too quickly. AB said midweek that she wanted to get the SD contract tied up first and before Stendel contract was tied up - what was it she was quoted as saying again “it’s important that the SD and Manager can work well together” (something along these lines) 

Fast forward a few days and she Appointed RN without any SD being appointed, and on a 3 yr deal, so who is she trying to kid 

reality is that she and the SD didn’t want DS and was desperately trying to put him off feeling wanted, and in the hope that he resigned and it left her free to bring RN in, and without paying any compy 

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

The Rangers and Hibs games also saw full backs go back to defending rather than trying to be our main attacking outlet.

He changed back to Stendel-ball at half time v St Mirren, it took 5 minutes for one long straight ball to carve us open.

The game where we looked like losing goals every time they came forward? He should’ve left things as they were? We actually took control of the game second half although we’re pathetic up front. The first half was absolutely shocking stuff. He has to take some responsibility for that though I agree but something had to change second half and at least he has the balls to try attack and try win games. 
Back to one up front (maybe) at the mighty St Mirren park. 

Rick Sanchez
4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Why will it change? Its pretty much been this way the entire time I’ve been following Hearts, barring a couple of seasons (JJ and GB) which is well over 30 years now. 
Suddenly Robbie (who is very defensive minded) is going to transform this? You remember the likes of Oshiniwa and Sammon? Levein even telling him not to sign him? Kenny Anderson who fell over while running in a straight line? His bottle jobs at ER? 
I want Robbie to succeed as much as anyone and I hope he has learned a lot in his time away too. 

It's amazing the stuff that sticks in your head :laugh:

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Hearts1975 said:

You have hit the nail on the head mate 

All done rather too quickly. AB said midweek that she wanted to get the SD contract tied up first and before Stendel contract was tied up - what was it she was quoted as saying again “it’s important that the SD and Manager can work well together” (something along these lines) 

Fast forward a few days and she Appointed RN without any SD being appointed, and on a 3 yr deal, so who is she trying to kid 

reality is that she and the SD didn’t want DS and was desperately trying to put him off feeling wanted, and in the hope that he resigned and it left her free to bring RN in, and without paying any compy 

That’s pretty much what I reckon mate aye. 

David McCaig
Just now, jack D and coke said:

The game where we looked like losing goals every time they came forward? He should’ve left things as they were? We actually took control of the game second half although we’re pathetic up front. The first half was absolutely shocking stuff. He has to take some responsibility for that though I agree but something had to change second half and at least he has the balls to try attack and try win games. 
Back to one up front (maybe) at the mighty St Mirren park. 

St Mirren were very much on top in the first half, but we were solid enough defensively to keep it to 0-0.  It took 5 mins in the 2nd Half for us to conceded the piss-easy sort of goal we conceded all too often through Stendel’s reign.

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Rick Sanchez said:

It's amazing the stuff that sticks in your head :laugh:

I laughed my head off at that :lol: 

Utterly bizarre. 

Edited by jack D and coke

jack D and coke
Just now, David McCaig said:

St Mirren were very much on top in the first half, but we were solid enough defensively to keep it to 0-0.  It took 5 mins in the 2nd Half for us to conceded the piss-easy sort of goal we conceded all too often through Stendel’s reign.

We were all over the place first half man cmon. We were sitting bottom too we had to change it. I won’t criticise the man for trying to be positive. There’s too many Tommy Wrights and Robbie Neilsons in this country for me. 
Eye bleeding garbage. 

Hectormasson
5 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Let's put it this way " surely we won't be any worse ? Hopefully it's a canter this league '   if it does start ?   Lots of goals and wins and entertainment ,    build a decent team more importantly......and WHEN !    We get back up wel sort out these c.....s that shafted us.........

3 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

It's funny when people make stuff up and conclude with "reality is..."

2 minutes ago, Hectormasson said:

Let's put it this way " surely we won't be any worse ? Hopefully it's a canter this league '   if it does start ?   Lots of goals and wins and entertainment ,    build a decent team more importantly......and WHEN !    We get back up wel sort out these c.....s that shafted us.........

Are we down? 

2 minutes ago, WageThief said:

It's funny when people make stuff up and conclude with "reality is..."

Is it really ? 

What isnt true ?

how do u explain her telling Stendel midweek that she wanted to sort the SD appointment first before the manager appointment, and then her doing a u turn in the space of a few days, and appointing a manager first, without appointing the SD ?

Or am I making this up as well ?

David McCaig
6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

We were all over the place first half man cmon. We were sitting bottom too we had to change it. I won’t criticise the man for trying to be positive. There’s too many Tommy Wrights and Robbie Neilsons in this country for me. 
Eye bleeding garbage. 

What nonsense, we scored 96 goals in the Championship under Neilson.

His last 5 games first time around saw us score 13 goals!!  He won his last two games 2-0 and 3-0.  His last 5 games included two 3-3 draws away from home.

Robbie’s record at Hearts is so much better than Stendel’s its beyond belief.

jack D and coke
9 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

What nonsense, we scored 96 goals in the Championship under Neilson.

His last 5 games first time around saw us score 13 goals!!  He won his last two games 2-0 and 3-0.  His last 5 games included two 3-3 draws away from home.

Robbie’s record at Hearts is so much better than Stendel’s its beyond belief.

Robbie didn’t come in at a time when we were in free fall either. He had a pre season and he’d already been there working with the younger players who he brought into the team. It’s not similar in any way.

Just to add I spoke to someone on here who knows a coach and a few players and he told me that the initially the coaches weren’t doing what DS was asking them to do. One of his first power plays was to say he only trusted Andy Kirk. There was resistance to Stendel without doubt. Players too were on far too cushy numbers. Could you imagine Naismith back at rangers and basically turning up when he felt fit?? What an absolute joke it was. Berra was another who done as he pleased. 

Championship season was good no one can deny. Cups we were dreadful and all that sticks in my head is the negative mindset in bigger games. 
Mate I want him to do great. Let’s hope he does. 

Edited by jack D and coke

6 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Is it really ? 

What isnt true ?

how do u explain her telling Stendel midweek that she wanted to sort the SD appointment first before the manager appointment, and then her doing a u turn in the space of a few days, and appointing a manager first, without appointing the SD ?

How do you know the SD appointment isn’t sorted ? 

Just now, Dazo said:

How do you know the SD appointment isn’t sorted ? 

I know it’s sorted but it hasn’t been announced yet 

Cmon mate. It doesn’t take a genius to work out what’s happened 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-delay-decision-daniel-stendel-until-they-identify-sporting-director-2886514?amp

This was 5 days ago

Just now, Hearts1975 said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-delay-decision-daniel-stendel-until-they-identify-sporting-director-2886514?amp

This was 5 days ago

So if the SD is sorted and he doesn’t want Stendel I don’t see the problem. Stendel doesn’t deserve the job imo. 

Just now, Dazo said:

So if the SD is sorted and he doesn’t want Stendel I don’t see the problem. Stendel doesn’t deserve the job imo. 

That’s your opinion and that’s fine your entitled. However the guy worked for free for us and for the last 3 months. 

My point still stands. She didn’t encourage him whatsoever because she wanted him to walk away, so there was no compensation payment required.

Levein must have used up most of the budget for this.

Lets not forget the reason that Stendel left the club is because the SPFL+Celtic+the-other-member-clubs ****ed us over and relegated us.  Apart from that it seems pointless arguing about anything else.

Would've liked to have seen him get a go at it, the pandemic would've slowed things down anyway.  :sad:  

Total downer.

Edited by HMFC01

24 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

That’ll be the piss easy goal that Obika blatantly hand balled just before scoring.

10 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

This was 5 days ago

Who is the new SD?

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

Who is the new SD?

Don’t know who, but they would have been consulted on Neilsons contract, so they must have been identified already 

Expect an announcement imminently now that DS has vacated the building 

16 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

That’s your opinion and that’s fine your entitled. However the guy worked for free for us and for the last 3 months. 

My point still stands. She didn’t encourage him whatsoever because she wanted him to walk away, so there was no compensation payment required.

Levein must have used up most of the budget for this.

His contracted ended because he was failing. I do appreciate what he did not taking wages though and thank him for that. Saying he was working for free is a stretch though.  Also you are guessing a lot of what’s gone on. 

Edited by Dazo

Said it at the start, he was the manager I wanted us to try but I was always sceptical of his style translating well in to Scottish football. There were signs he would be able to adapt to it, maybe a season in the championship would've been the ideal place to implement his ideas fully, but it'd be a bit of a punt. 

We've signed a manager who's record is pretty decent to replace him. All in all, I'm disappointed it hasn't worked out but I'm happy with his replacement. 

Same to you mate👍🏼

It's all just speculation but maybe Budge wanted him to stay, but he didn't fancy the championship, and was waiting to see if reconstruction happened.

Once he got another offer he decided to move on.

Given the chaotic recruitment process for the previous two coaches, it's a feather in Budge's cap that she acted as quickly and decisively to get a replacement in.

Hectormasson
40 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Are we down? 

More than likely ?     But be great to stay up "    make the spfl  look even shittier than ever !🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

His contracted ended because he was failing. I do appreciate what he did not taking wages though and thank him for that. Saying he was working for free is a stretch though.  

Not really. I did stipulate 3 months, and didn’t allude he did it indefinitely 

I’m just disappointed. That’s all. Just had it in my head that things would have got much better, the brand of football more exciting to watch, and we would become a real threat again 

I think that AB gave CL far too much support and that probably impacted her to the point of the other extreme with DS when she didn’t give him enough support, or enough time ... 

I will get behind RN in time and I’ll give him my full backing regardless of whether I personally think it’s the right move or not 

I would eventually get behind Bart Simpson If he managed the club, just feel a bit raw at the moment and a bit sorry that it didn’t work out for DS in all honesty 

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Not really. I did stipulate 3 months, and didn’t allude he did it indefinitely 

I’m just disappointed. That’s all. Just had it in my head that things would have got much better, the brand of football more exciting to watch, and we would become a real threat again 

I think that AB gave CL far too much support and that probably impacted her to the point of the other extreme with DS when she didn’t give him enough support, or enough time ... 

I will get behind RN in time and I’ll give him my full backing regardless of whether I personally think it’s the right move or not 

I would eventually get behind Bart Simpson If he managed the club, just feel a bit raw at the moment and a bit sorry that it didn’t work out for DS in all honesty 

That’s exactly where I am an all bud👍🏼

David McCaig
33 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

That’ll be the piss easy goal that Obika blatantly hand balled just before scoring.

I know he handballed it, but it was the sort of chance we were giving far too readily.... it was literally a straight ball, straight up the middle of the park.

With the striking firepower we had at our disposal, we didn’t need kamikaze, Hail Mary football, we needed defensive solidity and trust in a combination of Naismith, Boyce and Washington... although not necessarily all 3 on the pitch at the same time.

Who knows maybe Stendel would have come good, maybe not, but I am 100% confident that Neilson will have us top 4 in the SPL and fully punching our weight.

For what it's worth I think some of the football we played under Neilson was the best I'd seen as a Hearts fan. We blew away the Championship in his first few months. Beat Rangers home and away, and beat them well I'd argue. Won that league at a canter. How many managers then take a team into the top league in Scotland and finish third straight off the bat? We got good wins in that league as well. Finished his time with us having beaten Rangers 2-0 (twice, I think) and in second place.

In no way is Neilson not a good appointment. A win rate of 58% at Hearts between 2014 and 2016 and 57% at United. 

First appointment in a very long time that I've felt comfortable with.

Stendel promised a lot but delivered very little. Agree with all those so far who have said that with the squad he had we should not have been where we were in the league. Boyce aside I don't think Stendel's signings promised much either - Advijaj and Langer showed very little. Sibbick had one good game. Also thought binning Berra was naive. He was on a very poor run of form but I wouldn't have binned him in that manner. 

Really do hope Robbie coming back marks a turning point for the club.

5 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

I know he handballed it, but it was the sort of chance we were giving far too readily.... it was literally a straight ball, straight up the middle of the park.

With the striking firepower we had at our disposal, we didn’t need kamikaze, Hail Mary football, we needed defensive solidity and trust in a combination of Naismith, Boyce and Washington... although not necessarily all 3 on the pitch at the same time.

Who knows maybe Stendel would have come good, maybe not, but I am 100% confident that Neilson will have us top 4 in the SPL and fully punching our weight.

He is taking over a different set of circumstances entirely. You’re clearly someone who has an all or nothing approach. That’s evident from your posts. Nothing can be guaranteed 100%. I’ll wait and see what happens. Lets see where RN’s level really is.

David McCaig
6 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

He is taking over a different set of circumstances entirely. You’re clearly someone who has an all or nothing approach. That’s evident from your posts. Nothing can be guaranteed 100%. I’ll wait and see what happens. Lets see where RN’s level really is.

I think Neilson is well past the flash in the pan stage now.

30 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

I think Neilson is well past the flash in the pan stage now.

At what level?

wattie exploited
1 hour ago, Ethan Hunt said:

we where utter crap against  St MIDDEN really shit football team and hope they go down next year   :rifle:

1 hour ago, Hearts1975 said:

Is it really ? 

What isnt true ?

Yes it is really amusing.  Your story doesn't even make sense as we had no contractual obligations with Stendel, or as you put it in another post "he worked for free".  There's no reason for AB to be mucking around trying to get him to resign or avoid compensation.

wattie exploited
2 hours ago, Hectormasson said:

hearts have always been shit away I think the best we had was under RN  in the last 10 years  :rifle:

Edited by wattie exploited

bean counter

Daniel thanks for your short time here.

The results were not always what we all wanted but the football was at least exciting again.

Good luck for the future.

• davemclaren locked this topic