Stendel Poll

kingantti1874

Would you keep Stendel   

1,069 members have voted

1. 1. If we are in the championship

2. 2. If we are in the premiership

14 hours ago, 22games nro said:

I bet he is the only person in Scottish football forgoing his full wage just now 

I think he gets us and given the time I think he will come to be very good for us.

And not a peep from the media over such a gesture. Everyone else trying to screw each other over, make a few bob, preserve the status quo etc. It’s commendable really what Stendel has done. 

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Morgan

• Last Laff

It's pretty clear that if relegation/expulsion stands he will not be in charge

If he was going to stay under the circumstances of relegation it would all have been settled by now

The fact talks are suspended until a final decision makes that clear....if we are part of the top league I think he will stay..if not he leaves.

10 hours ago, CJGJ said:

It's pretty clear that if relegation/expulsion stands he will not be in charge

If he was going to stay under the circumstances of relegation it would all have been settled by now

The fact talks are suspended until a final decision makes that clear....if we are part of the top league I think he will stay..if not he leaves.

You may well be right but when our status is far from clear cut, we can't really resolve anything with Dan, can we?

I mean, if we're still in prem, his contract stands and he stays. If not, as much as he'll prob leave, if he's staying, it'd likely be on different terms, maybe more bonus led. But those terms can't be agreed until we know if we're down and what that looks like.

You'd imagine there have been tentative chats but nothing more could be decided or certainly announced while we don't even know if we're playing football next season.

Ibrahim Tall

Stay. 
Given the opportunity to fully get his own team in instead of Leveins, if his ‘style/vision’ works it could potentially give us all the most enjoyable time we’ve had as Hearts fans since Burley. I.e. a Hearts team that actually always tries to attack, score goals and win no matter the opposition. 
I’m by no means 100% convinced it will but I’m happy to give him another 6 months to try before we go back down the Levein 2.0 route by appointing a Tommy Wright etc and settle in for another 3 year of rigid defensive boredom.

ford donald
5 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Stay. 
Given the opportunity to fully get his own team in instead of Leveins, if his ‘style/vision’ works it could potentially give us all the most enjoyable time we’ve had as Hearts fans since Burley. I.e. a Hearts team that actually always tries to attack, score goals and win no matter the opposition. 
I’m by no means 100% convinced it will but I’m happy to give him another 6 months to try before we go back down the Levein 2.0 route by appointing a Tommy Wright etc and settle in for another 3 year of rigid defensive boredom.

Stendel had enough time to keep us in the spl,that's the downside for me,don't think he will be here next season.

Ibrahim Tall
1 minute ago, ford donald said:

Stendel had enough time to keep us in the spl,that's the downside for me,don't think he will be here next season.

Still could have, we haven’t been relegated.

My two pence worth...

Pros

- If he stays then thats some sort of continuity, even if results were absolutely shite

- We appear to be better attacking with him

Cons

- He cannot organise a defence for the ****ing life of him and doesnt appear to realise a long punt upfield tears us apart everytime

- Folk calling him Daniel makes me vomit slightly in my mouth

- if he leaves then we will go on yet another recruitment drive when I not sure anyone at Hearts knows what a decent player looks like 

Overall I really couldnt give a **** if he stayed or went. He had long enough to show he had something and the St Mirren game was as bad as it gets. 

ford donald
1 hour ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Still could have, we haven’t been relegated.

Yes we have not been ejected yet,we would have to go to court and win our case,cannot see us getting the backing for reconstruction.

Now that CL and AM plus cohorts are on their way, it looks like the "Moaners" are turning their attention to DS.

Strikes me there are too many on this topic are suffering from too much time on lockdown

Hearts1975
3 hours ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Stay. 

Great post and mirrors my thoughts exactly 👍

38 minutes ago, TWF said:

Now that CL and AM plus cohorts are on their way, it looks like the "Moaners" are turning their attention to DS.

Strikes me there are too many on this topic are suffering from too much time on lockdown

the moaning re CL and AM was entirely justified given the overall length of time that they were given but only to wreak their path of destruction in return 

Think its fully justifiable given what DS inherited at the club that he gets a bit longer. His back room team didn’t arrive with him either. This is conveniently forgotten at times. 

The abysmal defending, it seems to be more of an issue of our goalkeeper rather than the defending its self. Every mistake was punished with a goal. Joel was a terrible goalkeeper. Someone competent (Gordon or a Stendel pick) would massively improve the confidence of the defence. 

I've said it in a previous thread - Scott Bain would be perfect. He's tailor made for Stendel's way of playing and Lennon clearly prefers traditional style keepers rather than more modern 'sweeper' keepers.

Obviously, Lennon hates us and is unbelievably petty so the likelihood of this ever happening is non-existent. 

Gordon is on a free, knows the league and club. His age also benefits Harry Stone big time, as he could effectively bridge the initial gap for Stone to be blooded into the first team more easily. 

3 minutes ago, OTT said:

The abysmal defending, it seems to be more of an issue of our goalkeeper rather than the defending its self. Every mistake was punished with a goal. Joel was a terrible goalkeeper. Someone competent (Gordon or a Stendel pick) would massively improve the confidence of the defence. 

I've said it in a previous thread - Scott Bain would be perfect. He's tailor made for Stendel's way of playing and Lennon clearly prefers traditional style keepers rather than more modern 'sweeper' keepers.

Obviously, Lennon hates us and is unbelievably petty so the likelihood of this ever happening is non-existent. 

Gordon is on a free, knows the league and club. His age also benefits Harry Stone big time, as he could effectively bridge the initial gap for Stone to be blooded into the first team more easily. 

How many times did you watch the same diagonal long punt completely catching out our entire team and leaving the keeper marooned? Several times per match. 

It was absolutely the collectives fault, and it wasn't remedied at all over last few months. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 minutes ago, OTT said:

Personally, I’d like to know the details of Pereira’s contract. I’d like to know if there were any clauses costing us if he didn’t play. The length of time he stayed in the team was not natural.

2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The club and him both have break clauses following relegation. Reckon he’ll be gone

No doubt he will be. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, The Brow said:

How many times did you watch the same diagonal long punt completely catching out our entire team and leaving the keeper marooned? Several times per match. 

It was absolutely the collectives fault, and it wasn't remedied at all over last few months. 

Have you ever seen a keeper so devoid of the basics though? I mean distribution aside he is not good at anything 

Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Have you ever seen a keeper so devoid of the basics though? I mean distribution aside he is not good at anything 

I agree, however, if I know the keeper is shite, I dont leave him marooned several times a game. 

It took him ****ing ages to realise that Pereira was shite. By that time it was too late. Imagine seeing him play a game and thinking he deserves to play again. He must have been superb in training as I genuinely cannot remember him making one decent save.  

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, The Brow said:

I agree, however, if I know the keeper is shite, I dont leave him marooned several times a game. 

It took him ****ing ages to realise that Pereira was shite. By that time it was too late. Imagine seeing him play a game and thinking he deserves to play again. He must have been superb in training as I genuinely cannot remember him making one decent save.  

That’s why I would like to know what was in pereira’s contract. Even to the innocent observer, it looked like we were obligated to play him 

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

That’s why I would like to know what was in pereira’s contract. Even to the innocent observer, it looked like we were obligated to play him 

I see what you're saying. could be true, anytime I see the details of a contract that Hearts have 'negotiated' my soul dies a little. We're almost as shite as Rangers at getting value for money. 

Budge: How much do you want a week? 

Mediocre journeyman player: TWO THOUSAND!

Budge: Five thousand? DEAL! 

Or thats how I assume it goes. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, The Brow said:

I see what you're saying. could be true, anytime I see the details of a contract that Hearts have 'negotiated' my soul dies a little. We're almost as shite as Rangers at getting value for money. 

Budge: How much do you want a week? 

Mediocre journeyman player: TWO THOUSAND!

Budge: Five thousand? DEAL! 

Or thats how I assume it goes. 

Having seen the letter from John Murray we can safely say it goes like this:

Murray: Goat any guid players?

Agent: Yeah.

Murray: Sound.

We then offer a four year deal after watching a bit of YouTube footage.

In the meantime, Austin McFraud continues to try and do swap deals with Stoke.

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Having seen the letter from John Murray we can safely say it goes like this:

Murray: Goat any guid players?

Agent: Yeah.

Murray: Sound.

We then offer a four year deal after watching a bit of YouTube footage.

In the meantime, Austin McFraud continues to try and do swap deals with Stoke.

Sounds about right. 

As a pet peeve its up there with folk on here wanting us to continually sign ex players and managers. 

McPhee is a good coach apparently. There is just no evidence of this, but he is. Honest. 

16 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The club and him both have break clauses following relegation. Reckon he’ll be gone

You may be correct but DS won't want on his CV  his last club was expelled for being bottom of the league even though it was from a corrupted decision. He is young enough and I think he will wont to get us promoted and a good season or two in the spl as he will be looking to premiership /bundesliga management for the future. I think hearts will give him a shot at it , but that's only my opinion though.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Sounds about right. 

As a pet peeve its up there with folk on here wanting us to continually sign ex players and managers. 

McPhee is a good coach apparently. There is just no evidence of this, but he is. Honest. 

McPhee has done an incredible job of concocting a reputation from himself, backed up by nothing 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, TWF said:

As someone who wanted those two out of the club a long time ago, and that I support Stendel after 17 games, I would say most of those who want rid of him were Leveins biggest fans. If you look at the Levein&Macphee thread compared to this it will show this.

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

As someone who wanted those two out of the club a long time ago, and that I support Stendel after 17 games, I would say most of those who want rid of him were Leveins biggest fans. If you look at the Levein&Macphee thread compared to this it will show this.

I just want a decent manager, tactically aware, playing nice football. 

Something we haven't had since Neilson left. The appointments since have been horrific. Our stats back this up. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, The Brow said:

I just want a decent manager, tactically aware, playing nice football. 

Something we haven't had since Neilson left. The appointments since have been horrific. Our stats back this up. 

You can’t really judge someone on 17 games with the absolute car crash of a squad he inherited. Neilson was a huge gamble that really paid off. It will all depend on what league we are in, and when games are played if at all and also when fans are allowed in.

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

You can’t really judge someone on 17 games with the absolute car crash of a squad he inherited. Neilson was a huge gamble that really paid off. It will all depend on what league we are in, and when games are played if at all and also when fans are allowed in.

17 games is pretty much half a season. 

What part of the season did you think that we should be lucky to hold onto him? I'm not arguing, I'm absolutely ambivalent to him staying. I havent seen anything that makes me think we have a good'un, I also think that at times (only Rangers and Hibs) we looked great. But then they were all followed up by results so absolutely shite, that it throws me out again. 

We need to stop signing absolute shite. Whoever is getting us these players, they need sacked. Theyre not even cheap. 

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Also Neilson's biggest fans. Most of those who wanted Neilson out also wanted Levein out from day one. Your point?

Some seem taken with Stendel simply because he's not Levein. There are very valid questionmarks over Stendel's suitability to manage in the Scottish championship. With Naismith, Souttar, Halkett, Walker and Washington back from injury, he showed an alarming inability to set teams up against teams with no interest in playing football, which will be every game down there. He also made a critical error in not replacing the goalie earlier. In the plus column, he's a much more engaging guy than Levein, does have an attacking football philosophy, and seemed like the kind of hand-on-tracksuit manager the players can get behind, unlike Cathro and in the end Levein.

Aside form that, he's VERY expensive, which is my main issue. We can get someone like Robbo for half that and would get a manager much better equipped to get us out of this spot IMO.

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Managers and players are judged on far fewer games on here and on the terraces every week!

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, The Brow said:

What part of the season did you think that we should be lucky to hold onto him? I'm not arguing, I'm absolutely ambivalent to him staying. I havent seen anything that makes me think we have a good'un, I also think that at times (only Rangers and Hibs) we looked great. But then they were all followed up by results so absolutely shite, that it throws me out again. 

We need to stop signing absolute shite. Whoever is getting us these players, they need sacked. Theyre not even cheap. 

Did I mention being lucky to hold onto him? Who do you think would do better with this bunch of players, most of whom we might not get rid of?
The results against Rangers and then Hibs were great, then a draw and a leggy performance against Motherwell who were third in the league, then the defeat off St Mirren where they looked tired. It was their 4th game in 11 games and their poor general fitness shone through. We were 8th in the form table, looked far tighter at the back but still lost a goal in Paisley to a long ball over the top. We lost that kind of goal all season with different players in all the defensive positions whether we pushed up or sat deeper.

Any manager deserves the chance to get his own players in who can play his chosen style.

We need an overhaul of everything that Levein touched because none of it has worked or will going forward. 

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Also Neilson's biggest fans. Most of those who wanted Neilson out also wanted Levein out from day one. Your point?

Some seem taken with Stendel simply because he's not Levein. There are very valid questionmarks over Stendel's suitability to manage in the Scottish championship. With Naismith, Souttar, Halkett, Walker and Washington back from injury, he showed an alarming inability to set teams up against teams with no interest in playing football, which will be every game down there. He also made a critical error in not replacing the goalie earlier. In the plus column, he's a much more engaging guy than Levein, does have an attacking football philosophy, and seemed like the kind of hand-on-tracksuit manager the players can get behind, unlike Cathro and in the end Levein.

Aside form that, he's VERY expensive, which is my main issue. We can get someone like Robbo for half that and would get a manager much better equipped to get us out of this spot IMO.

How did I know Leveins biggest pals would answer , I would imagine SAD and SRB will be along shortly, don’t count on Al he’s still in a hiatus due to his homophobia. Last time we had this discussion you said you didn’t want Stendel our then went into hiding g when I showed a post where you said he should leave. The point is you hate that you were WRONG about Levein, as you e been told NEILSON thought it was time to leave so those who wanted him out were right, because the club trusted Lebrun to progress after that doesn’t make it wrong.

Thanks for proving my point though 😃😆😂🤪👍🏽.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Managers and players are judged on far fewer games on here and on the terraces every week!

Levein had two and half years and you will still have him back, you admitted it. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Did I mention being lucky to hold onto him? Who do you think would do better with this bunch of players, most of whom we might not get rid of?
The results against Rangers and then Hibs were great, then a draw and a leggy performance against Motherwell who were third in the league, then the defeat off St Mirren where they looked tired. It was their 4th game in 11 games and their poor general fitness shone through. We were 8th in the form table, looked far tighter at the back but still lost a goal in Paisley to a long ball over the top. We lost that kind of goal all season with different players in all the defensive positions whether we pushed up or sat deeper.

Any manager deserves the chance to get his own players in who can play his chosen style.

We need an overhaul of everything that Levein touched because none of it has worked or will going forward. 

Chill out cupcake. I didnt say you did say that. This isnt twitter, its supposed to be a debate without you getting your knickers in a twist. 

you have a couple of fair points, you like him, I couldnt give a **** if he stays or not. If we're going to be in the championship and he stays then he better figure out how to break down teams pretty sharp as he hasnt a clue so far. 

We wont get anyone better if we're relegated, unless Robbo comes back again.

You're rather old fashioned in your outlook of how clubs operate without big money. If we stay up, we're skint so we need someone that can work with the current group. Its absolutely pointless at teams with limited money to sign players to suit a manager, its the other way round. You implement a top down way of playing, and you sign managers to suit the players and system 

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Chill out cupcake. I didnt say you did say that. This isnt twitter, its supposed to be a debate without you getting your knickers in a twist. 

you have a couple of fair points, you like him, I couldnt give a **** if he stays or not. If we're going to be in the championship and he stays then he better figure out how to break down teams pretty sharp as he hasnt a clue so far. 

We wont get anyone better if we're relegated, unless Robbo comes back again.

You're rather old fashioned in your outlook of how clubs operate without big money. If we stay up, we're skint so we need someone that can work with the current group. Its absolutely pointless at teams with limited money to sign players to suit a manager, its the other way round. You implement a top down way of playing, and you sign managers to suit the players and system 

You’ve been throwing your weight about thinking you know better than everyone else, don’t try it with me.

If you don’t care go on some other thread.

Robbo has one promotion on his CV, no other manager with his record would even be considered. How has the third biggest club in the league got no money or are skint if we stay up? We had our biggest turnover ever last year and it was wasted by a charlatan, were you a Levein fan or even a Jambo?

As for getting a manager to suit the players you already have there isn’t a club in world football that uses that model, old or new fashioned. The turnover of players in today’s game simply refutes that clueless point. 
Off you pop back to sisterfister.net.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Guest ToqueJambo
13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

How did I know Leveins biggest pals would answer , I would imagine SAD and SRB will be along shortly, don’t count on Al he’s still in a hiatus due to his homophobia. Last time we had this discussion you said you didn’t want Stendel our then went into hiding g when I showed a post where you said he should leave. The point is you hate that you were WRONG about Levein, as you e been told NEILSON thought it was time to leave so those who wanted him out were right, because the club trusted Lebrun to progress after that doesn’t make it wrong.

Thanks for proving my point though 😃😆😂🤪👍🏽.

I never wanted Levein in the first place. Have said that repeatedly. Once they're appointed, I tend to back all the managers as long as I can if they show some signs of being able to put out a competitive Hearts team - which no matter how hard you try to forget it, Levein did. That's because I believe it takes time to build a team.

I did reply to you about Stendel and gave the same answer - I was for Robbo ahead of Stendel but was convinced by others touting Stendel. I've always thought Robbo is exactly what we need and wanted him at the end of last season. I think there are better options than Stendel for the Championship but would be happy to start the seasons in the Premiership with him. I gave my reasons.  😃😆😂🤪👍🏽.

Guest ToqueJambo
21 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Levein had two and half years and you will still have him back, you admitted it. 

No, he's too toxic. There's a difference between wanting him back and thinking he'd probably have done a better job of pulling us away form the bottom once he got Washington, Walker, Naismith, Souttar and Halkett back. I've been very clear Levein's downfall this second time around IMO has been his lack of desire to be a manager again (possibly affected by his heart attack), his ego and the injuries and his failure to cope with them.

I have no doubt though we wouldn't be 4 pts behind at the bottom under him, we just wouldn't have been much better off either. He was clearly finished as a manager at this level by the end. As a manager of a Championship team. I've got no doubt if his heart's in it, he would do a good job at a Raith Rovers or someone. He's got a proven football brain and knows how to build a team.Unfortunately he also seems to want to do things differently just for the sake of it rather than just focusing on putting out a decent team, which was what he did in his early days as a manager. If he went back to basics, and got a job at a Championship club he'd be a good bet to take them up.

Edited by ToqueJambo

It's difficult to say for me as results speak for themselves. However, amd maybe it's just clutching at straws, but I thought Stendel did progress the team.  We drew a load of games won a few good ones and lost some horrendous ones.  It seemed like anytime we were looking good one of our shitebag players would manage to f it up in bizarre fashion.

We went one nil up at St J after the rangers game.  Keeper mistake lets them back in. We go to 1-2. Keeper howler. Keeper howler puts them 3-2 up and we scrape a point from a game we were in total control of.

Hamilton - 2 of the most ridiculous goals to concede within 20 mins. Get a point.

Same in almost every game.  Not sure what the manager can do if players keep chucking them in.  Halkett against Motherwell, dear god

Pasquale for King
27 minutes ago, The Brow said:

thats sweet - you're so brainy

You still know **** all about football though. 

Hahahaha from someone that thinks clubs pick managers to suit the players they have hahahaha 🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️🙈🤪😂😃

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Hahahaha from someone that thinks clubs pick managers to suit the players they have hahahaha 🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️🙈🤪😂😃

Some clubs clearly do. If you cant see the benefits of working that way to a smaller club who's main aim is to avoid mass player churn and bum buys, then that degree you claim to have must have been fairly easy. 

You're an absolute fruitcake. 

Why are you so angry? 

Edited by The Brow

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

No, he's too toxic. There's a difference between wanting him back and thinking he'd probably have done a better job of pulling us away form the bottom once he got Washington, Walker, Naismith, Souttar and Halkett back. I've been very clear Levein's downfall this second time around IMO has been his lack of desire to be a manager again (possibly affected by his heart attack), his ego and the injuries and his failure to cope with them.

I have no doubt though we wouldn't be 4 pts behind at the bottom under him, we just wouldn't have been much better off either. He was clearly finished as a manager at this level by the end. As a manager of a Championship team. I've got no doubt if his heart's in it, he would do a good job at a Raith Rovers or someone. He's got a proven football brain and knows how to build a team.Unfortunately he also seems to want to do things differently just for the sake of it rather than just focusing on putting out a decent team, which was what he did in his early days as a manager. If he went back to basics, and got a job at a Championship club he'd be a good bet to take them up.

How can you say he knows how to build a team when he signed so many players every season? His foitball with us and everyone else he managed was the very distinction of basic. 
If you give managers time and we were 8th in the form table then you’re contradicting yourself by wanting him to leave if we go down. Robbo has a limited CV that if it was another non Hearts legend wouldn’t even be considered.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Some clubs clearly do. If you cant see the benefits of working that way to a smaller club who's main aim is to avoid mass player churn and bum buys, then that degree you claim to have must have been fairly easy. 

You're an absolute fruitcake. 

Why are you so angry? 

I’m always angry and my team is being demoted after years of awful football, and because of nonsense like the crap you’re spouting on multiple threads.

Every small club in Scotland , we are not a SMALL CLUB, have players on short term contracts and can barely put a team on the park at this time. Killie for example are down to 11 players just now, other clubs said they couldn’t play out the season for the same reason. Show me proof of one small club that has players on long term deals and signed a manager specifically to suit, in fact any club. 

Bunny Munro

Thinking about DSs contract. It's a further 2 years, only valid in the premiership. What would happen - for instance - if we came back up in a year? Would he be back under contract?

David McCaig
3 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

Thinking about DSs contract. It's a further 2 years, only valid in the premiership. What would happen - for instance - if we came back up in a year? Would he be back under contract?

I would assume his contract ended the moment we were expelled.

Ibrahim Tall
1 hour ago, The Brow said:

Stupid as it sounds, he got the ‘wrong’ 17 games to be fair.

17 games at the start of a season after a pre-season and a summer transfer window to make changes and get everyone up to speed is a completely different scenario from taking over for 17 games half way into a car crash of a season and trying to implement your tactics on another mans squad with games coming thick and fast and a team that was unfit and already devoid of any confidence.

Then there’s the cluster**** of McPhee, Daly, Levein, Fox etc still hanging around in the background..

Pasquale for King
19 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Multiple threads? Not me. 

think you need to give your brain a rest. You're rambling like a mad *****. 

So no proof of your ridiculous claim then 👍🏽👏🏾👋🏿.

Guest ToqueJambo
31 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

How can you say he knows how to build a team when he signed so many players every season? His foitball with us and everyone else he managed was the very distinction of basic. 
If you give managers time and we were 8th in the form table then you’re contradicting yourself by wanting him to leave if we go down. Robbo has a limited CV that if it was another non Hearts legend wouldn’t even be considered.

Because he did build a team. He had to to sign that many players after Cathro destroyed Neilson's squad. He made a few key signings during 17/18 to steady the ship after Cathro (McLaughlin, Milinkovic and Adao stand out, Callahan was solid - Grezlak, Amankwaa, Randall not so much), and then did the complete rebuild he had to in summer before 18/19. 

His signings in 19/20 were much more targeted, aimed at filling gaps although he still failed to fill the goalie position after McLaughlin left the season before and couldn't find a winger after missing out on McGinn. He also gave Djoum too long to decide his future instead of just finding a replacement. Again, half of his 19/20 signings got injured though and this is where Levein really messed up IMO. Instead of giving youngsters more of a chance he signed even more players leaving us with the bloated squad we ended up with when players returned to fitness.

I get the number of duds has been too high, but personally I hope we always have a small budget set aside for managers to take punts. That's how we find some gems. Maybe just not so many at once.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Stupid as it sounds, he got the ‘wrong’ 17 games to be fair.

17 games at the start of a season after a pre-season and a summer transfer window to make changes and get everyone up to speed is a completely different scenario from taking over for 17 games half way into a car crash of a season and trying to implement your tactics on another mans squad with games coming thick and fast and a team that was unfit and already devoid of any confidence.

Then there’s the cluster**** of McPhee, Daly, Levein, Fox etc still hanging around in the background..

Stendel is very possibly the right manager at the wrong time.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Because he did build a team. He had to to sign that many players after Cathro destroyed Neilson's squad. He made a few key signings during 17/18 to steady the ship after Cathro (McLaughlin, Milinkovic and Adao stand out, Callahan was solid - Grezlak, Amankwaa, Randall not so much), and then did the complete rebuild he had to in summer before 18/19. 

His signings in 19/20 were much more targeted, aimed at filling gaps although he still failed to fill the goalie position after McLaughlin left the season before and couldn't find a winger after missing out on McGinn. He also gave Djoum too long to decide his future instead of just finding a replacement. Again, half of his 19/20 signings got injured though and this is where Levein really messed up IMO. Instead of giving youngsters more of a chance he signed even more players leaving us with the bloated squad we ended up with when players returned to fitness.

I get the number of duds has been too high, but personally I hope we always have a small budget set aside for managers to take punts. That's how we find some gems. Maybe just not so many at once.

You’re rewriting history again. Cathro left him duds like who? Martin? Who else? Berra? Lafferty? Smith? They were all signed under Cathro, not necessarily by him though but that’s another discussion. Gryzelak was awful but was signed under Cathro so I’m not sure where that sits with your analysis. Callaghan can’t get a game for St Johnstone, broke his leg on loan at Dundee and will signing on with Levein in two weeks time.

Levein signed nearly 40 players in under two years, most of whom didn’t meet the Standard required. McLaughlin, Naismith, Haring, and maybe Lee or Uche for a period 🤷🏾‍♂️. That’s a poor return. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

This is going well

My fault probably, apologies 🙌