Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Nucky Thompson
37 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Oh its quite simple.

I pointed out that locking down those that are ignoring the rules and spreading the virus is the way forward. If that's U25s then so be it. 

The rest of the grown ups, who actually drive the economy, can crack on and thereby keep the back bedroom dwelling parasites in the standard to which they've become accustomed. 

What a stupid idea that only a Nat could dream up :lol:

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

What a stupid idea that only a Nat could dream up :lol:

That stupid idea is about as Conservative free market economy driven as they come. 

Keep your high earners, high tax payers working. That's how the economy continues to function 👍

6 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

You do realise the tests are deeply flawed? How long do we have to suffer from the casedemic? 

Casedemic?  Where did you hear this nonsense from mate?

8 minutes ago, The Roller said:

Is it still the case that weekend figures are generally lower? If so 244 cases is far from good. Figures are only going one way just now, sadly.

Not sure that’s the case anymore, mate. Not sure what the reasoning is behind it, but my understanding is actually that it is Tuesday/Wednesday that tends to have a dip in figures.

36 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Not good news at all 

You should win an award at the end of the year,  you’re good 

Edited by theshed

Nucky Thompson
24 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

That stupid idea is about as Conservative free market economy driven as they come. 

Keep your high earners, high tax payers working. That's how the economy continues to function 👍

A Whitehall source said that millions of people including those with underlying conditions, the old and the overweight could be contacted to self isolate after a 'risk model' was discussed at a virus meeting.

Much more sensible than trying to lockdown under 25's 

24 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Case, hospital, ICU and deaths all going up now in France, they are very concerned about what’s happening. 

Is that Nicola Sturgeon’s fault too? This is a critical time, we don’t want to get this wrong. 

Deaths are not going up. Cases have risen steadily since July but deaths with covid have not.

Screenshot_20200913-153926_Samsung Internet.jpg

Nucky Thompson
16 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Case, hospital, ICU and deaths all going up now in France, they are very concerned about what’s happening. 

Is that Nicola Sturgeon’s fault too? This is a critical time, we don’t want to get this wrong. 

Hospital admissions and ICU have risen a wee bit but nothing near to March and April figures.

17 new deaths again nothing like what was happening at the start.

54 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Not good news at all 

You do realise that those figures are utterly trivial?

like beyond trivial,

miniscule

paracetamol puts more people in ITU over a weekend than COVID,

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Oh its quite simple.

I pointed out that locking down those that are ignoring the rules and spreading the virus is the way forward. If that's U25s then so be it. 

The rest of the grown ups, who actually drive the economy, can crack on and thereby keep the back bedroom dwelling parasites in the standard to which they've become accustomed. 

Yes lets rob the young of the best years of their lives. 

4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Hospital admissions and ICU have risen a wee bit but nothing near to March and April figures.

17 new deaths again nothing like what was happening at the start.

17 looks dramatic, as does the word “rise” or “doubling”

reality is that you could take every ITU Covid case or hospital case in Scotland and look after them in a large shed .

Francis Albert
7 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

You do realise that those figures are utterly trivial?

like beyond trivial,

miniscule

paracetamol puts more people in ITU over a weekend than COVID,

A sense of proportion  is foreign to this thread or indeed the whole response to Covid 19.

France:

"A total of 10,561 new Covid-19 infections were recorded on Saturday, the first time they have topped 10,000 over 24 hours in France.

Over the past week there have been 2,432 hospital admissions for COVID-19 in France, including 417 patients taken to intensive care units, the country's health ministry said."

Francis Albert
7 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Yes lets rob the young of the best years of their lives. 

Or the old of the last one or two of theirs. Both are absurd over reactions. I am old and would rather live what is left of my life than curl up and avoid the risk of dying prematurely.

The Mighty Thor
23 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

A Whitehall source said that millions of people including those with underlying conditions, the old and the overweight could be contacted to self isolate after a 'risk model' was discussed at a virus meeting.

Much more sensible than trying to lockdown under 25's 

I think we'll see a raft of suggestions from 'Whitehall'

Keeping the economy turning safely is paramount. If that means shutting the boozers or the Universities or other places where transmission is high then so be it. 

The old, co-morbid and the big units ain't spreading it though. 

7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

France:

"A total of 10,561 new Covid-19 infections were recorded on Saturday, the first time they have topped 10,000 over 24 hours in France.

Over the past week there have been 2,432 hospital admissions for COVID-19 in France, including 417 patients taken to intensive care units, the country's health ministry said."

Looks dramatic, but out of over 67,000,000 people , 417 is trivial, not for the 417 right enough , but numbers are pathetically small.

1 hour ago, The Roller said:

Is it still the case that weekend figures are generally lower? If so 244 cases is far from good. Figures are only going one way just now, sadly.

I think that was when we had deaths because they were'n't recorded as much at the weekend.

Current testing of infections probably is reported accurately at the weekends.

Equally more people are probably getting tested at the weekend (missing less work) so the numbers will be up due to that too.

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

There is plenty of advocates for a proportional response, just not totally abandoning all measures. 

If people would keep to the guidelines we would not need to lock anyone down. 

Who has ever advocated abandoning all measures?

21 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

France:

Was over 30000 admissions at its peak and 7000 in ICU in April. And deaths are not rising. 

55 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

36 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Deaths are not going up. Cases have risen steadily since July but deaths with covid have not.

Screenshot_20200913-153926_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yes I looked up figures regarding France 30 deaths Friday 17 yesterday ! Even me with my o grade arithmetic knows that means it’s going down 😂

Nucky Thompson
16 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

France:

Spain had over 12,000 cases yesterday but deaths have remained low.

The proportion of hospital beds occupied by covid patients currently stands at 7.5% nationally 

Head in the sand posters will be back to tell us what is happening in France is nothing and just scaremongering to even report it. More going into ICU is a hint that a second wave *may* be looming. We’re still early days with proper autumn and winter to come.

14 minutes ago, kila said:

Head in the sand posters will be back to tell us what is happening in France is nothing and just scaremongering to even report it. More going into ICU is a hint that a second wave *may* be looming. We’re still early days with proper autumn and winter to come.

Like a normal coronavirus/ flu season then? 

31 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Was over 30000 admissions at its peak and 7000 in ICU in April. And deaths are not rising. 

Deaths are rising in France, mate. About a month ago they were averaging about 10-15 deaths a day from CV. They now seem to be averaging about 25-35 a day. 

18 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Lie.

I'm going by the graph. If its rising its negligible and certainly nothing to suggest the mythical second wave drama the media wants us to believe. 

Francis Albert
33 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I think there are plenty on this thread. 

Personally I think 6/2 rule in Scotland was brought in too hastily and we should have seen how the lockdowns in the west went first. Especially as at that point they new Lanarkshire was about to be added. However I will add that the SG has access to more information than we do. 

Pleanty opposing all  measures? I have not seen anyone suggesting  we should not wash our hands. But many don't ,  yet there is little condemnation  of breach of the most basic and most highly  recommended  precaution. 

8 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

It went from 100 to 200 this week, at what point do you consider it to be significant?

Where are you getting these figures? Highest I can see is 80 2 days ago.

Francis Albert
11 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Is washing your hands a COVID measure? We should be doing that anyway. 

Your just here for an argument aren’t you. 

It is top of pretty much every list of anti-Covid measures I have seen.

Edited by Francis Albert

34 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Lie.

Yip! Total made up nonsense to further the agenda!

31 minutes ago, kila said:

Yeh, some people just don't want / will not listen to anyone or anything that does not suit their narrative regarding the whole pandemic situation. The approach above,  *may / *might / *possibly / *could be , is the language and attitude that should be taken with this situation, however we still have a****s taking the mick, thus increasing the chances of the spread of a disease. 

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

It is top of pretty much every list of anti-Covid measures I have seen.

It is top of every list regarding virus' / bacteria transmission, and is in no way exclusive to the Covid measure's introduced by governments, as you are inferring. 

Nucky Thompson
10 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

Yeh, some people just don't want / will not listen to anyone or anything that does not suit their narrative regarding the whole pandemic situation. 

It works both ways

joondalupjambo

The rule of 6 from a max of two households is really confusing or is it?  We can play golf in three balls, different households and four balls all four from four different households but my wife cannot walk the Fife Coastal Path with her two pals because that would be three households.  Scottish Golf Union advice just out late last week.  How does that make sense or am I not understanding the new rule of 6?

Edited by joondalupjambo

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

The rule of 6 from a max of two households is really confusing for some.  We can play golf in three balls, different households and four balls all four from four different households but my wife cannot walk the Fife Coastal Path with her two pals because that would be three households.  Scottish Golf Union advice just out late last week.  How does that make sense or am I not understanding the new rule of 6?

The two households bit is nonsense. It's just to be different to Westminster 

11 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It works both ways

You are absolutely correct. 

I read an interesting article regarding the situation this morning and it is something we are all guilty of, no matter what people say (in fact it is worse if you are more intelligent). 

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/sep/10/facts-v-feelings-how-to-stop-emotions-misleading-us?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2gy49MU56SD18qjqr3IOUUMCpOKzqWzld9m8e2q6KxYHvgCY_kIsLzeHA#Echobox=1599865835

One caveat I would add though, is that the people opposing arguments don't always hold opposing weight, and in today's 'social media' society, that point gets lost.

If the government tells us that there is a 2nd wave on the horizon, or that we need to wear mask's to prevent the spread, we have to assume that this advice was given by experts (SAGE) with years of knowledge and education  and should not give equal time / credence to some bam-pot on facebook or jkb who calls it a scam-demic! 

Edited by jambo89

7 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

The rule of 6 from a max of two households is really confusing or is it?  We can play golf in three balls, different households and four balls all four from four different households but my wife cannot walk the Fife Coastal Path with her two pals because that would be three households.  Scottish Golf Union advice just out late last week.  How does that make sense or am I not understanding the new rule of 6?

According to the regulations, you may "meet outdoors with members of up to four other households at a time for exercise or activity."

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-phase-3-staying-safe-and-protecting-others/pages/sports-culture-and-leisure-activities/

joondalupjambo
3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

According to the regulations, you may "meet outdoors with members of up to four other households at a time for exercise or activity."

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-phase-3-staying-safe-and-protecting-others/pages/sports-culture-and-leisure-activities/

Ok small print never read that, thanks. My wife will be happy now.

However it is still a bit confusing this two household thing.   Three households of two each could, based on the activities line meet in a garden and run on the spot and claim they are keeping fit😃😃 Or meet in a park and Chuck a fridges to each other😃😃

Just now, joondalupjambo said:

Ok small print never read that, thanks. My wife will be happy now.

However it is still a bit confusing this two household thing.   Three households of two each could, based on the activities line meet in a garden and run on the spot and claim they are keeping fit😃😃 Or meet in a park and Chuck a fridges to each other😃😃

:D I know. I think the idea is that normal "meeting up" outdoors merits a different rule from exercise and sport because it's addressing sitting blethering, having a coffee or a pint etc., i.e. where you're fairly static and where there's more chance of infection because of that.

I'll check to see if I can find any regulations about fridge chucking. ;)

I hope your wife has an enjoyable walk.

joondalupjambo
Just now, redjambo said:

:D I know. I think the idea is that normal "meeting up" outdoors merits a different rule from exercise and sport because it's addressing sitting blethering, having a coffee or a pint etc., i.e. where you're fairly static and where there's more chance of infection because of that.

I'll check to see if I can find any regulations about fridge chucking. ;)

I hope your wife has an enjoyable walk.

Of course I typed the word frisbee😃😃

Yeah you are right in what you say but I see this rule is going to be a tough one for folk.

My wife of course said after walking 8 miles they would want a coffee and three of them cannot go into a cafe.  I said take a flask😃😃

Francis Albert
33 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

It is top of every list regarding virus' / bacteria transmission, and is in no way exclusive to the Covid measure's introduced by governments, as you are inferring. 

Where did I suggest it was exclusive to the Covid measures? But it is top of the anti Covid measures.

22 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Certain activities, like playing sport, are exempt. Little evidence to suggest that anyone is catching Covid while playing golf. Easy to stay 2m apart on a golf course compared to a party in someone's garden/house. 

Coastal walk could be hard too depending on the route and width of walkways. Also guaranteed they'd be walking side by side to have a good natter. 

2 hours ago, The Roller said:

Without sounding like Trump we are testing much more people now so bound to find more positive cases. If most of the 244 are asymptomatic it's possible that the numbers a few months ago were artificially low because the lower testing meant a lot of asymptomatic carriers weren't tested.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic