Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

22 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

So if someone with a positive test walks along princes street does everyone they pass get an alert? Or is it more sophisticated than that? 

Why don't you read some more about it and find out for yourself?

Folk today are so entitled and lazy, it saddens me.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

If people are so ill that they can;t wear a piece of fabric for 20 minutes, then maybe they shouldn't be 'going about there business' during a pandemic.

Agreed 

and I bet some of those with asthma who claim they can’t wear a mask still probably smoke - which is actually worse!

12 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Yea we need to always wait 4/5/6/7/8 (delete as appropriate) weeks until we are allowed to mention deaths, we get it. 

I know , it’ll be a never ending , fast forward 8 weeks , say a few more deaths and he will still be rattling the same mantra 

1 minute ago, jambo89 said:

I note you've changed the wording now. But there absolutely were lock downs and social distancing measures were put in place during the Spanish flu outbreak. 

However way you want to paint it you are wrong (again)

To quote someone ' I would get better responses from my dog'. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/in-pictures-52564371

2 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Agreed 

and I bet some of those with asthma who claim they can’t wear a mask still probably smoke - which is actually worse!

Wow send them to the gallows for daring to smoke while having asthma . What a plonker 

2 minutes ago, Herbert said:

you said below:

'I know we never had a lockdown that's my point'

That article you posted actually proves my point., From the article -: 

'Streets in some towns and cities were sprayed with disinfectant and some people wore anti-germ masks, as they went about their daily lives.

and also

There was no centrally imposed lockdown to curb the spread of infection, although many theatres, dance halls, cinemas and churches were closed, in some cases for months.

Still waiting on the I had no idea that there were local lock-downs all over the globe type and I was talking utter P*** post.

Suspect I'll be waiting a while. You misread what I said and also some how mange to mis-type what you said? strange one that!!

17 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

He also completely ignoring the fact that Lock-downs did happen for the Spanish flu.

Absolutely mental man! you can't have a serious discussion with people who barely know how to read!

He also went down this argument on Saturday and it was proven to be ridiculous so he raised it again today!

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Agreed 

I know an old guy that won’t wear a mask because he has asthma, smokes like a chimney. It’s a strange one. He’s in his 80s and a Alky too.

6 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

Wow send them to the gallows for daring to smoke while having asthma . What a plonker 

Smoking protects you from COVID

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

He also went down this argument on Saturday and it was proven to be ridiculous so he raised it again today!

It's embarrassing man. 

He just posted a link that says 'people were wearing masks' and 'that lock-downs happened all over the UK'  to prove that people weren't wearing masks and lock-downs didn't happen. His head's in the clouds. 

18 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

tbh you would think the world would be hit worse due to increased travel and population density and things than in 1918. Though I suppose the argument to that would be better sanitation, medical care and understanding of viruses. 

That is why things had to shut down globally.

18 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

The way this virus was being told though was hospitals being overwhelmed and mass graves. Hasn’t happened. 

The hospitals were being overwhelmed but we managed it just in time.  As for mass graves, I think there are in places like New York, and certain regions of the African continent.

36 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

It is as it means that over 4 min have not. Just another tool to upset our daily lives. 

So if someone with a positive test walks along princes street does everyone they pass get an alert? Or is it more sophisticated than that? 

Its more sophisticated than that. 

2 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

you said below:

'I know we never had a lockdown that's my point'

That article you posted actually proves my point., From the article -: 

'Streets in some towns and cities were sprayed with disinfectant and some people wore anti-germ masks, as they went about their daily lives.

and also

There was no centrally imposed lockdown to curb the spread of infection, although many theatres, dance halls, cinemas and churches were closed, in some cases for months.

Still waiting on the I had no idea that there were local lock-downs all over the globe type and I was talking utter P*** post.

Suspect I'll be waiting a while. You misread what I said and also some how mange to mis-type what you said? strange one that!!

1st bit is not relevant to a lockdown. It's like saying most of asia lives in lockdown because people wear masks there.

2nd bit says it all. NO LOCKDOWN.

If I choose to close my shop today does that mean there is a lockdown?

2 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

It's embarrassing man. 

He just posted a link that says 'people were wearing masks' and 'that lock-downs happened all over the UK'  to prove that people weren't wearing masks and lock-downs didn't happen. His head's in the clouds. 

Where have I said about masks? Your clutching

42 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Just another tool to upset our daily lives. 

How is it upsetting our daily lives? Once you’ve down loaded it (which takes less than 2 minutes) you don’t do anything unless you get an alert, which may never happen for you or possibly a majority of other people. The upside is you are part of the team which is trying it’s best to overcome this virus. 

Edited by Boy Daniel

14 minutes ago, Herbert said:

1st bit is not relevant to a lockdown. It's like saying most of asia lives in lockdown because people wear masks there.

2nd bit says it all. NO LOCKDOWN.

If I choose to close my shop today does that mean there is a lockdown?

The 1st point is relative to the discussion but doesn't fit your narrative so you have chosen tom ignore it.

That's not what it says. There was no centrally imposed lock-down but there were local lock-downs.

So let me get this straight, you aren't opposed to local lock downs but national ones?

If your shop / bar was in Aberdeen and we were having this discussion 3 weeks ago, you would be saying there is no lock-down? is that correct? 

There is some amount of mental gymnastics going on here to admit you were wrong and didn't know that lock-downs were used as a control measure during the Spainsh flu epidemic. 

Here some more reading for you to avoid as it goes against your argument.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/03/how-cities-flattened-curve-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic-coronavirus/

little extract for you 

'Shortly after health measures were put in place in Philadelphia, a case popped up in St. Louis. Two days later, the city shut down most public gatherings and quarantined victims in their homes. The cases slowed'

Edited by jambo89

24 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

tbh you would think the world would be hit worse due to increased travel and population density and things than in 1918. Though I suppose the argument to that would be better sanitation, medical care and understanding of viruses. 

The way this virus was being told though was hospitals being overwhelmed and mass graves. Hasn’t happened. 

See Iran for mass graves, India, Iran, Brazil, Spain and Italy for hospitals overwhelmed.

17 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

I’m talking about those that refuse to wear a mask because of asthma but are happy to smoke - it makes no sense.  Smoking will do them far more harm

38 minutes ago, Herbert said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Is made of detol wipes or something?

You said the above regarding face mask's thinking you were being funny.

I have inferred from that post that you wear mocking the validity of my claim and subsequently the claim that mask's can stop the spread. Apologies if you do think masks are an effective tool, but given the thread of this discussion, I am sure you can understand why I would conclude you are against mask as well. 

8 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Where have I said about masks? Your clutching

8 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

The 1st point is relative to the discussion but doesn't fit your narrative so you have chosen tom ignore it.

That's not what it says. There was no centrally imposed lock-down but there were local lock-downs.

So let me get this straight, you aren't opposed to local lock downs but national ones?

If your shop / bar was in Aberdeen and we were having this discussion 3 weeks ago, you would be saying there is no lock-down? is that correct? 

There is some amount of mental gymnastics going on here to admit you were wrong and didn't know that lock-downs were used as a control measure during the Spainsh flu epidemic. 

Here some more reading for you to avoid as it goes against your argument.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/03/how-cities-flattened-curve-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic-coronavirus/

I'm opposed to all lockdowns. If I wanted to be treated like a criminal and told when and if I could go outside then I would rob a bank and goto jail. 

22 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Smoking protects you from COVID

It actually terrifies me that you're a doctor. 

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2243944-smoking-probably-puts-you-at-greater-risk-of-coronavirus-not-less/

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/news/behind-the-headlines/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-smoking

Edited by Ray Gin

19 minutes ago, redjambo said:

@Nucky Thompson: Just a heads up, because I know you are interested in it, that today's stats from the SG indicate that the revised hospital figures are going to take effect as of tomorrow.

Be interesting to see what effect that will have on the hospital numbers. I've a feeling a new argument for the "doom mongers" will need to be found.

49 minutes ago, Herbert said:

😂😂😂

So when 50-100MILLION died of spanish flu we had a lock down? When all the other viruses hit us like SARS etc came we went into lockdown? Did we ****. Your not worth arguing with now. I would get a better response from the dog.

https://www.wired.com/2003/04/beijing-undergoes-sars-lockdown/

That's an article about the SARS lock-down from 2003. 

2 minutes ago, Herbert said:

I'm opposed to all lockdowns. If I wanted to be treated like a criminal and told when and if I could go outside then I would rob a bank and goto jail. 

Ahhhh so you are opposed to lock downs? That isn't what you said originally (in the above post) and subsequent post. You said that we had  never done such a thing in the past (which has been proven to be nonsense) and so we shouldn;t be doing it now. 

Admit it, you didn't, you didn't know that lock-down was used to control every epidemic that has been known to man (including the bubonic  plague), which is why you came out with when all the other viruses hit us like SARS etc came we went into lockdown? Did we ****.

World Beating NHS (Not Really NHS But That's What We're Calling It Anyways) Test & Trace has run out of tests in the most infected outbreak hotspots in England.

You can't get tested anywhere if you live in those places.

Oh, and you know how the government spunked £1bn on fictional contracts for their mates and never got any PPE delivered?

Well the company that actually supplies the testing kits hasn't been paid in months.

And grouse shooting, fox hunting and other bloodports have been made exempt from the 6-person rule.

:fonzie:

Edited by Cade

Shanks said no
24 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

In the early days of Covid there was a case put that ex smokers were more vulnerable than smokers.

37 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

https://www.wired.com/2003/04/beijing-undergoes-sars-lockdown/

That's an article about the SARS lock-down from 2003. 

Ahhhh so you are opposed to lock downs? That isn't what you said originally (in the above post) and subsequent post. You said that we had  never done such a thing in the past (which has been proven to be nonsense) and so we shouldn;t be doing it now. 

Admit it, you didn't, you didn't know that lock-down was used to control every epidemic that has been known to man (including the bubonic  plague), which is why you came out with when all the other viruses hit us like SARS etc came we went into lockdown? Did we ****.

Of course I am, Didnyou like being grounded?

I said we never went into lockdown with SARS etc.

50 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

the articles say nothing of the kind. its all probably and maybe.

BHF are hardly likley to back smoking , and neither would I frankly. lighten up man!

3 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Of course I am, Didnyou like being grounded?

I said we never went into lockdown with SARS etc.

You said we never went in to lock-down with the Spanish Flu, which was wrong. 

There were lock-downs all over the world (including the UK) during the Spanish flu, they were just more localised as there was far less travel back then, but there were still lock-downs. 

There were also Lock-downs for SARS (I posted the link previously), although localised to 'China', so you were also wrong that front too. 

1 hour ago, Boy Daniel said:

How is it upsetting our daily lives? Once you’ve down loaded it (which takes less than 2 minutes) you don’t do anything unless you get an alert, which may never happen for you or possibly a majority of other people. The upside is you are part of the team which is trying it’s best to overcome this virus. 

Can people not self diagnose on the App?  If so, what's to stop someone, with a winter cold, diagnosing Covid symptoms and some other poor punter getting pinged an alert because they've sat on the same bus??  Having half the country self-isolating really would tank the economy. 

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Can people not self diagnose on the App?  If so, what's to stop someone, with a winter cold, diagnosing Covid symptoms and some other poor punter getting pinged an alert because they've sat on the same bus??  Having half the country self-isolating really would tank the economy. 

The app only comes into effect as a tracing mechanism when someone has a positive Covid test.

More info here: https://protect.scot/

1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

Asthma is not a legitimate reason to not wear a mask. 

In terms of asthma itself, nobody has anyway of knowing that. Just as important is the increased likelihood of panic attacks if you suffer from asthma. Masks can bring on anxiety especially in enclosed areas

36 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I saw this a couple of days ago and thought it was interesting. He has a strong background in respiratory disease and hasn't any real reasons for an agenda that I can see. 

After you posted this I decided to to a bit of digging and had a read of the paper he has written this in. I was immediately struck by this line :-

Evidence presented in this paper indicates that the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 pandemic as an event in the UK is essentially complete, with ongoing and anticipated challenges well within the capacity of a normalised NHS to cope. The virus infection has passed through the bulk of the population as a result of wholly natural processes and evidence indicates that in the UK and other heavily infected European countries the spread of the virus has been all but halted by a substantial reduction in the susceptible population. This has occurred because the level of infection required to introduce enough immunity into the population to reduce the reproduction number (R) permanently below 1 occurred at markedly lower infection rates and loss of life than had been initially anticipated. The evidence presented in this paper indicates that there should be no expectation of a large scale ‘second wave’ with smaller localised outbreaks when the virus contacts pockets of previously uninfected populations.

Effectively saying that herd immunity has been achieved and that the R rate will now never go above 1. 

It is worth noting that the article was posted on lockdownsceptics.com so hardly an un-bias source as I initially assumed. I am also pretty sure the R rate has now gone past 1 rendering hi article useless / unreliable. 

Edited by jambo89

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

In the early days of Covid there was a case put that ex smokers were more vulnerable than smokers.

They said that smokers were less likely to catch it(Nonsense) , but if they did, they were fecked. (Fact) 

AlphonseCapone
30 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Ffs, can folk not do basic reading before posting. 

32 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

No, you should read up on the subject then form an opinion

Edited by Smithee

38 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You can't just go on the app and say you've tested positive when you haven't :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

This thread is amazing btw :pray: absolute masterclass in internet nonsense. 

An eye opener into the morals of some on here too 

That Pfizer boy certainly sounds convincing (or convinced).    Who wouldn't want to buy into that being true?    It's a bit interesting that this type of detailed theory isn't more widespread though.   Hoping to see more discussion or news re this.

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Talk radio :facepalm: The guy is full of shit and will be up for ridicule shortly. 

Edited by ri Alban

40 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

I saw this a couple of days ago and thought it was interesting. He has a strong background in respiratory disease and hasn't any real reasons for an agenda that I can see. 

After you posted this I decided to to a bit of digging and had a read of the paper he has written this in. I was immediately struck by this line :-

Evidence presented in this paper indicates that the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 pandemic as an event in the UK is essentially complete, with ongoing and anticipated challenges well within the capacity of a normalised NHS to cope. The virus infection has passed through the bulk of the population as a result of wholly natural processes and evidence indicates that in the UK and other heavily infected European countries the spread of the virus has been all but halted by a substantial reduction in the susceptible population. This has occurred because the level of infection required to introduce enough immunity into the population to reduce the reproduction number (R) permanently below 1 occurred at markedly lower infection rates and loss of life than had been initially anticipated. The evidence presented in this paper indicates that there should be no expectation of a large scale ‘second wave’ with smaller localised outbreaks when the virus contacts pockets of previously uninfected populations.

Effectively saying that herd immunity has been achieved and that the R rate will now never go above 1. 

It is worth noting that the article was posted on lockdownsceptics.com so hardly an un-bias source as I initially assumed. I am also pretty sure the R rate has now gone past 1 rendering hi article useless / unreliable. 

R Rate is 1.7.

7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

That Pfizer boy certainly sounds convincing (or convinced).    Who wouldn't want to buy into that being true?    It's a bit interesting that this type of detailed theory isn't more widespread though.   Hoping to see more discussion or news re this.

He certainly does. 

I realised I hadn't posted a link above

https://lockdownsceptics.org/addressing-the-cv19-second-wave/

Is easy enough to read and is free so fill your boots. 

The bit that I found most interesting is that 30% of the population were already immune. This seems to be based on the fact that there was an immune response from people who had yet to contract the virus.

We can but hope, however as mentioned, if the R number is rising, then it kinda puts his theory to bed.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic