SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

500ClubCraig

Given there has been no announcement that I am aware of that the Arbitration panel has been selected, is it possible that no one on the list wants to make themselves available? And who would blame them!

If so does this simply revert back to the Court.

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

Ethan Hunt
4 minutes ago, graygo said:

For reference here's the bit in Lord Clark's report about the make up of the panel.

[20] In terms of the Article 99.19 of the SFA’s articles of association, the arbitral tribunal (“the Tribunal”) may consist of three arbitrators. One of the provisions states that, if so, each party shall nominate an individual from the Tribunal Candidate List as its arbitrator, and the two arbitrators so appointed shall appoint a third arbitrator who shall be or has been a solicitor or advocate or member of the judiciary (Sheriff Court or Court of Session) of not less than 10 years’ standing (including cumulatively in a combination of the said functions) 
and who shall act as chairman of the Tribunal (“the Tribunal Chairman”). Accordingly, theSFA will not judge the issue in the arbitration. The independent arbitral tribunal will be presided over by an experienced lawyer or member of the judiciary. The arbitral tribunal is able to require evidence from witnesses and if required, in terms of rule 45 of the Scottish Arbitration Rules, the court can make appropriate orders in that regard.

Yes. But it doesn’t prevent our ‘pick’ from having the same credentials, albeit they just won’t be the chair.

Edited by Ethan Hunt

22 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

We should only drop the case if the member clubs agree that we acted correctly and therefore should recover all of our costs inluding the CoS. It would be ridiculous if we are financially penalised for their incomptence.

I think the legal costs would just be the price we have to pay to get what we want. A massive bonus if we could still get something back too, but I'm just happy to stay in the top flight and take the moral high ground.

Spellczech
Just now, 500ClubCraig said:

Given there has been no announcement that I am aware of that the Arbitration panel has been selected, is it possible that no one on the list wants to make themselves available? And who would blame them!

It is interesting as there is probably a juicy daily consultancy fee being offered, but the publicity surrounding this case might not be worth that to a retired sheriff, whereas it would be to someone trying to progress his career...It might be a struggle to get people to want to participate.

12 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Got a quote for that? Never heard it before. Sounds more like one of those myths that becomes fact if enough people repeat it.

What good would a preseason friendly do for a club that can't sell tickets for it?

Not got a quote it was repeated a few times in the media. Probably on this thread somewhere in the week after the vote. Tell Ann I'm sorry is still my favourite quote of his though.

5 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Yes. But it doesn’t prevent our ‘pick’ from having the same credentials, albeit they just won’t be the chair.

Yes, but it's not a requirement as some seem to think.

Spellczech
17 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

You might be right. However I’d find that a bit odd. The panel rule that the SPFL were unfair and prejudicial in relegating Hearts BUT then allow the guilty party (SPFL) to determine their own remedy / sentence! 

But then of course the panel might allow the wronged party’s to select the resolution! And Hearts decide that they will take both reinstatement and compensation!

Not a remedy - restitution - or compensation. DUFC, Raith & Cove are only continuing to be involved so that they don't get a knife in the back if it is restitution, and they lose out on promotion because they gave up their interest in the case...

Scary thought, folks.  Wasn't it exactly one week ago (to the minute) that the outcome was being announced?  So, another week has ticked past in this s***storm.

Actually no - six days!

Edited by AndrewB

10 minutes ago, 500ClubCraig said:

That could be an interesting scenario.  

Ethan Hunt
Just now, graygo said:

Yes, but it's not a requirement as some seem to think.

Agreed. All three arbitrators will end up being from a legal background. We’ll pick one with a legal background and as a result the SPFL will be forced to do likewise. Having a ‘football person’ as a pick would do them no good whatsoever as it matters not that they are independent, they simply wouldn’t have the legal knowledge or experience to understand the arguments.

21 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Rangers dossier

1BE2A92F-1AB7-412F-B8A0-98773E5E46BD.jpeg

So Nelms  wanted to take a % of fees from the 'promoted' clubs to hand iver to demoted clubs as a sweetner?

Whos authority was he doing that on behalf off?

Ethan Hunt
1 minute ago, Gambo said:

So Nelms  wanted to take a % of fees from the 'promoted' clubs to hand iver to demoted clubs as a sweetner?

A question Rangers asked in their dossier. Who empowered him to do that?

Spellczech
Just now, Gambo said:

Sounds like there was side deals on offer - cash compensation for the small relegated clubs which he was trying to extract from the promoted clubs plus some glamour friendlies to those clubs that  were relegated plus those that "missed out" on the chance of promotion. Now what big hitters could offer glamour friendlies?

29 minutes ago, graygo said:

Lord Clark did not change the criteria for the arbitration panel, he simply pointed out what it is.

There is no requirement for a panel of three legal people with minimum of 10 years legal experience other than the chairperson.

I don't know how many times this needs pointed out.

I think you're wrong. Lord Clark said that, as this was a matter concerning company law, that all members of the arbitral tribunal had to have legal experience and that the chairman (who need not come from the SFA list) had to have at least 10 years experience as a solicitor, advocate or judge.

29 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

What - this season?  When there were never going to be crowds in?

Or was it something to put in the bank for the future?  How easily they were bought off.

I don’t think Nelms has ever said pre season games have been offered.  He will be looking to have Dundee in the Prem and that’s his ambition.  Hardly going to be bought off with a possible friendly one year who knows when. 

south morocco
22 minutes ago, graygo said:

For reference here's the bit in Lord Clark's report about the make up of the panel.

[20] In terms of the Article 99.19 of the SFA’s articles of association, the arbitral tribunal (“the Tribunal”) may consist of three arbitrators. One of the provisions states that, if so, each party shall nominate an individual from the Tribunal Candidate List as its arbitrator, and the two arbitrators so appointed shall appoint a third arbitrator who shall be or has been a solicitor or advocate or member of the judiciary (Sheriff Court or Court of Session) of not less than 10 years’ standing (including cumulatively in a combination of the said functions) 
and who shall act as chairman of the Tribunal (“the Tribunal Chairman”). Accordingly, theSFA will not judge the issue in the arbitration. The independent arbitral tribunal will be presided over by an experienced lawyer or member of the judiciary. The arbitral tribunal is able to require evidence from witnesses and if required, in terms of rule 45 of the Scottish Arbitration Rules, the court can make appropriate orders in that regard.

Thank you for clarifying 👍

Ethan Hunt
23 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Rangers dossier

1BE2A92F-1AB7-412F-B8A0-98773E5E46BD.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

I don’t think Nelms has ever said pre season games have been offered.  He will be looking to have Dundee in the Prem and that’s his ambition.  Hardly going to be bought off with a possible friendly one year who knows when. 

Really?

6 minutes ago, Bickfest said:

I think you're wrong. Lord Clark said that, as this was a matter concerning company law, that all members of the arbitral tribunal had to have legal experience and that the chairman (who need not come from the SFA list) had to have at least 10 years experience as a solicitor, advocate or judge.

Correct sir.

5 minutes ago, Bickfest said:

Well I've posted his judgement above, nowhere does it say all 3 need legal experience, although I expect they probably will. As to your point about the chairman, well yes, I've never said anything different.

Captain Canada
Just now, cjambo1993 said:

That's scandalous. That is hardly member clubs looking after each other. What would they be contributing towards exactly? They can piss and moan about unfairness and costs but no other team is affected as badly as we are.

The panel will decide and that's it.

5 minutes ago, jamboman9 said:

Correct sir.

He's really not. Not totally anyway.

Edited by graygo

Just now, Newton51 said:

This is getting pretty desperate now. United pay compensation for a manager but also begging other clubs to pay for legal fees

United overspend by nearly £4 million to win promotion. 

7 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Really?

Publicly Nelms has said zero, aye.  All the evidence there is claims of other people that’s never been admitted or proven so aye, really. 

Premier teams have arranged friendlies but they are not allowed to play... What would happen if they played them against the advice of the Government... 

1 minute ago, Newton51 said:

This is getting pretty desperate now. United pay compensation for a manager but also begging other clubs to pay for legal fees

They paid at least £100,000

They are asking clubs for £90,000.

cjambo1993

8 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

What the **** is wrong with these 3? 🤣🤣🤣

7 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

That's scandalous. That is hardly member clubs looking after each other. What would they be contributing towards exactly? They can piss and moan about unfairness and costs but no other team is affected as badly as we are.

The panel will decide and that's it.

5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Surely this just adds to our unfair and prejudicial argument? 🤔 

4 minutes ago, graygo said:

How clear does it need to be to prove unfair discrimination?

You have to laugh at the irony of Utd paying a wedge for compensation for a manager at the beginning of the week and are now out with the begging bowl asking league 1 clubs for a grand each. 🤣

Shameless

Edit: and league 2 clubs ffs 🤣🤣

Edited by cjambo1993

Cruickie's Moustache
3 minutes ago, Derek From Stenhouse said:

Premier teams have arranged friendlies but they are not allowed to play... What would happen if they played them against the advice of the Government... 

Have been wondering if there is anything (other than the costs involved) stopping friendly games  taking place down south given they are all geared up for it?

A wee tourney at St James Park for instance.

Edited by Cruickie's Moustache

Diadora Van Basten
13 minutes ago, cjambo1993 said:

The way I see it the SPFL is representing the clubs. The Calpol 3 are representing themselves and suspect the ruling is going to go against them.

I suspect this is the SPFL trying to gain leverage by saying its all the other clubs apart from Inverness who have their own view of the world (the correct view in my opinion) v Hearts and Partick Thistle. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Raith chairman even asked Stranraer to contribute.

There is no reason for any club to get involved unless the Calpol 3 don’t trust the SPFL to represent their interests.

Edited by Diadora Van Basten

Ethan Hunt
5 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Publicly Nelms has said zero, aye.  All the evidence there is claims of other people that’s never been admitted or proven so aye, really. 

😂

Diadora Van Basten
4 minutes ago, cjambo1993 said:

You have to laugh at the irony of Utd paying a wedge for compensation for a manager at the beginning of the week and are now out with the begging bowl asking league 1 clubs for a grand each. 🤣

Shameless

Edit: and league 2 clubs ffs 🤣🤣

Probably advising them to use the money they received from our benefactor to pay for it.

11 minutes ago, cjambo1993 said:

Why would any club support them outwith Celtic. What about all the teams that could have played for a play off spot do they think they will pledge.

I think we would have had a better chance of asking other teams to pledge to us but definitely Partick and Stranraer would.

There is no shame from these 3 being awarded a title and not actually winning it isnt quite the same.

SuperstarSteve
59 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Rangers fans seem to think Dundee were offered glamour pre-season friendlies but I suspect this is just their conspiracy theorists at work. I'm pretty sure Nelms will be called to give evidence. Hopefully it is in person rather than a written statement...If there was any shenanigans such as Celtic offering to loan them players then hopefully this will come out, even if not publicly...

Could be wrong but didn’t nelms mention the friendly games after stating the big hitters are now calling. 
I’m sure I also heard Peter Martin on PLZ confirm nelms made those comments but had no authority to do so and should’ve kept his mouth shut. 
Not looked back over his comments just being lazy and hoping to be corrected if that isn’t the case. 

ToadKiller Dog
6 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

They were also preparing an offer of 250k for Nesbit from the pars according to reports on June 20th after we lodged papers on the 18th .

They are chancers 

Ethan Hunt
Just now, Jambo66 said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Any club that contributes to the legal fees of the C3 is in breach of SPFL rules. Not only that, by asking for financial support, the C3 are also in breach of the rules.

Can you post the relevant section? 

Nookie Bear

What a bunch of cheap slags. 

And any club who pledges to help must be named and shamed. 

This narrative is disgusting. 

On a side note, I genuinely feel the police need to stop those two twats starting their walk from Tynie. 

52 minutes ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

I think it was all about the sky contract for the upcoming season. I think it stipulates start of season from 1st August.  As they were being told at one point there may be no football before then they decided to rush into a decision. This sky deal is apparently all that matters (ND on 90k bonus when it comes in, just saying like) That’s kind of the official line and I think that’s the narrative coming from SPFL.

ND’s assertion that cash couldn’t be released to clubs unless they declared the season over in April (when clubs were on their knees) was absolute bull. And the club that benefitted most from that decision? You got it!! 

The fact that 8 football matches could have been squeezed into 3-4 weeks doesn’t seem to have mattered, they just had to decide in April what to do. 🤡 

It absolutely was - their legal advice shows that to be the case.

The Board look at every excuse for not carrying on , piled the excuses high, even told the Scottish govt they'd need 6 weeks training before they could restart , effectively blackmailed the clubs , asked UEFA if it was OK to end the season  and as soon as UEFA said "yes" they voted . Job done.

Nothing was going to be allowed to compromise the £32M that is due to roll in to the SPFL coffers. Especially not the idea that you could potentially still have season 19/20 games playing when the 20/21 league cup was supposed to have started. 

5 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

😂

So Nelms has never once said he has been promised friendlies from Rangers then?  The post I replied to.  
Thought so.  

22 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

I think you have to mind that this discussion was around the good Friday weekend, no decisions had been made then regarding length of time before folk could be back at the football.

Nelms was potentially promised a friendly against Celtic around this time. (mind Betfred games should be on at moment)

Like Donald Trump I wonder if those in charge back in March/ April time thought covid would just 'disappear' and life would all be back to normal by now.. clowns 

SomethingAboutObua
17 minutes ago, cjambo1993 said:

What the ****? Is that figure between the 37 other clubs, or the just clubs that are proactively supporting them and not including the likes of Stranraer, Falkirk, Inverness etc?

Embarrassing move, this HAS to be a worrying sign for United fans, they can't even afford to hold a place in an arbitration case with the support of two other teams? That'll be Shankland away for twenty quid this summer surely?

• jkbmod 9 changed the title to SPFL declare league (2019/20) due to Covid (Arbitration panel upholds SPFL decision )
  • davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )