A music quiz/challenge

I P Knightley

I P Knightley
7 minutes ago, JWL said:

Doesn't really but as I say, I'm probably over thinking things. Don't want to google as I feel I should know.

I found it by Googling since I knew less about one of the songs than the other two.

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• I P Knightley

• Boof

• JWL

• felix

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I found it by Googling since I knew less about one of the songs than the other two.

Without Googling I couldn't have made the list!

Okay, I'll get on to google after work.

Here's one for the time being.............................and it really is dead easy. Feel free to add.

1. All the Young Dudes - Mott The Hoople

2. Melting Pot - Blue Mink

3. Life in a Northern Town - Dream Academy

I P Knightley
3 minutes ago, JWL said:

Here's one for the time being.............................and it really is dead easy. Feel free to add.

They're all really dead easy, aren't they?

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

They're all really dead easy, aren't they?

It's certainly easier setting them than guessing them, I'll give you that. Really thought this was easy though but I suppose it's only easy if you know.

4 hours ago, JWL said:

The Seeker - The Who

2 hours ago, Boof said:

The Seeker - The Who

2 hours ago, Boof said:

The Seeker - The Who

Certainly is.

I P Knightley
10 hours ago, JWL said:

Certainly is.

I'm going to have to ask whether this is a "listen to" link or a "facts about" link. 

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

I'm going to have to ask whether this is a "listen to" link or a "facts about" link. 

It's a 'listen to' link.

On 04/06/2020 at 09:56, Boof said:

Add to this lot...

Willie Nelson - Always On My Mind

Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water

U2 - Beautiful Day

On 04/06/2020 at 15:05, I P Knightley said:

Bruce Springsteen - Streets of Philadelpia

Billy Joel - Just the Way You Are

Think this one has stagnated...

I'll offer

Coldplay - Viva La Vida

Lady Antebellum - Need You Now

Billie Eilish - Bad Guy

to the mix before revealing all shortly.

Perhaps your grandmother could help?

I P Knightley
On 05/06/2020 at 15:28, JWL said:

I should have taken a clue from your user name.

Shangri-La by ELO.

I P Knightley
5 hours ago, Boof said:

Think this one has stagnated...

I'll offer

Coldplay - Viva La Vida

Lady Antebellum - Need You Now

Billie Eilish - Bad Guy

to the mix before revealing all shortly.

On the chin stroke, Coldplay joins Bruce and Willie Nelson on one list, while the other two go with Simon & Garfunkel etc.

7 hours ago, Boof said:

Or, if not her maybe your Grammy...?

Yeah - song of the year at the Grammys for all those ones. I think I even went for all of those that the performer was the writer as well so actually picked up the award.

I P Knightley
11 hours ago, Boof said:

Or, if not her maybe your Grammy...?

Yeah - song of the year at the Grammys for all those ones. I think I even went for all of those that the performer was the writer as well so actually picked up the award.

I started by looking at the Grammy for record of the year, where two of yours fitted the bill. I didn't realise that there is also a category for song of the year. Coldplay, Bruce and Willie Nelson got song of the year; the others got both. 

On 05/06/2020 at 15:28, JWL said:

The Clash - 1977

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Be here now- oasis? 

If it's right, then I'm wrong about ELO and Felix's effort would also be wrong (unless it's right for a different reason).

I've got one brewing. It doesn't have anything by Rush as a possible answer; that's proving tricky for the moment.

37 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

If it's right, then I'm wrong about ELO and Felix's effort would also be wrong (unless it's right for a different reason).

I've got one brewing. It doesn't have anything by Rush as a possible answer; that's proving tricky for the moment.

My fault. Only mentions an album not the the band. Sorry. 

Time for a new one then? Dead easy this one.

1. Walk on The Wild Side - Lou Reed

2. His 'n' Hers - Pulp

3. Five Get Over Excited -The Housemartins

Feel free to add to the list.

1 hour ago, JWL said:

2. His 'n' Hers - Pulp

Cadillac Ranch by Bruce Springsteen

I P Knightley
17 hours ago, JWL said:

2. His 'n' Hers - Pulp

Anything by the Manic Street Preachers :whistling:

Or... Johnny Cougar with Jack & Diane

2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Anything by the Manic Street Preachers :whistling:

Or... Johnny Cougar with Jack & Diane

By Manitou you are correct

7 minutes ago, JWL said:

By Manitou you are correct

Dammit! I remember Johnny Cougar 'the Redskin with the iron grip' saying "By Manitou"...but I'm buggered if I can make the connection :lol:

I P Knightley
55 minutes ago, Boof said:

Dammit! I remember Johnny Cougar 'the Redskin with the iron grip' saying "By Manitou"...but I'm buggered if I can make the connection :lol:

Johnny Cougar was the name that John Cougar Mellencamp went by when he released J&D. I don't know who this "Manitou" chappy is, though and I certainly don't know anything about an iron grip on my foreskin. Oo-er, missus.

Have a singalong to any three of the songs confirmed thus far and you should get it. For once, JWL wasn't completely off the reservation saying that it is "dead easy", although I was helped significantly by Felix getting Cadillac Ranch - probably just because I know that song inside out.

And, if it makes you feel any better, I've set JWL a wee chinstroker on a sub-genre by PM.

4 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Johnny Cougar was the name that John Cougar Mellencamp went by when he released J&D. I don't know who this "Manitou" chappy is, though and I certainly don't know anything about an iron grip on my foreskin. Oo-er, missus.

Have a singalong to any three of the songs confirmed thus far and you should get it. For once, JWL wasn't completely off the reservation saying that it is "dead easy", although I was helped significantly by Felix getting Cadillac Ranch - probably just because I know that song inside out.

And, if it makes you feel any better, I've set JWL a wee chinstroker on a sub-genre by PM.

I'll give it a go, IPK.

Johnny Cougar was in the Tiger. Then it became the Tiger and Jag. Then joined up with the Scorcher (which had previously been joined by the Score) to become the world's most awkwardly named young lads' comic-story magazine :lol:  The Tiger and Jag and Scorcher and Score.

Heeeeeeerrre's Johnny...

Step aside WWE, here's Johnny (Cougar, that is)! But could this ...

"By Manitou" was his cry for summoning strength from the spirits of his forebears. I learned a lot of Native American (or Red Indian as it was called thenadays) history from such august publications. 

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Boof said:

And, for me, the obviousest... Billy Joel - We Didn't Start the Fire?

And that is one that sits in my sub-genre with Madonna's Vogue and Amy Macdonald's Footballer's Wife.

I P Knightley

I'm assuming that JWL has been busted on his latest theme so here's another for you to ponder:

I'm afraid, Boof, that my search for a chain where Rush would provide many links has been fruitless so Rush is definitely NOT an addition to the following list:

1.       Madonna – Material Girl

2.       Garbage – Stupid Girl

3.       Sheryl Crow – You Oughtta Know

4.       Carly Simon – You’re so Vain

There you go. Give me more songs.

On 09/06/2020 at 21:32, I P Knightley said:

I'm assuming that JWL has been busted on his latest theme so here's another for you to ponder:

I'm afraid, Boof, that my search for a chain where Rush would provide many links has been fruitless so Rush is definitely NOT an addition to the following list:

3.       Sheryl Crow – You Oughtta Know

Good one IP.

You Oughtta Know had me stumped, as don't think that's Sheryl Crow, but think I know where you're coming from, so would add the wonderful :

Nancy Sinatra - These Boots Are Made for Walkin:wub:

Edited by felix

I P Knightley
On 12/06/2020 at 16:15, felix said:

Good one IP.

You Oughtta Know had me stumped, as don't think that's Sheryl Crow, but think I know where you're coming from, so would add the wonderful :

Sorry about that (ahem), IRONIC mistake. If it makes you happy, I really oughta know my North American female artists a bit better.

Yes, but

18 hours ago, Boof said:

Peter Sarstedt - Where Do You Go to My Lovely?

no.

Edited by I P Knightley

I P Knightley
On 12/06/2020 at 16:15, felix said:

Good one IP.

All I want to do  THAT was the one I was thinking of. :(

'pologies.

18 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Sorry about that (ahem), IRONIC mistake. If it makes you happy, I really oughta know my North American female artists a bit better.

No worries.

Like a traffic jam, when you're already late... added a further layer of frustration. No irony tho' :smiley2:

4 hours ago, felix said:

No worries.

Like a traffic jam, when you're already late... added a further layer of frustration. No irony tho' :smiley2:

It's like raaaaaiiiiiinnn on your wedding day.....................errm bad luck maybe. No irony.

Nothing to add here apart from offering you the chance to here something that can’t be unheard. I’d heard You’re So Vain god knows how many times and then read that Mick Jagger does backing vocals on the chorus, odd, I’ve never noticed that, then I listened to it again. Loud and clear Mick in full Mick mode. It really starts to become more obvious at the chorus around 1’45” then by the end of the song he’s unavoidable. Then nearly every person I mentioned this too hadn’t noticed it either. 

27 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Nothing to add here apart from offering you the chance to here something that can’t be unheard. I’d heard You’re So Vain god knows how many times and then read that Mick Jagger does backing vocals on the chorus, odd, I’ve never noticed that, then I listened to it again. Loud and clear Mick in full Mick mode. It really starts to become more obvious at the chorus around 1’45” then by the end of the song he’s unavoidable. Then nearly every person I mentioned this too hadn’t noticed it either. 

Hadn't ever appreciated that. A great song just got better imo.

Can't begin to think why Mick would offer his backing vocal services, to beautiful braless Carly.

Just reading about how Bianca Jagger apparently phoned Carly's fiance James Taylor, the night before his marriage :sweat:

Edited by felix

I P Knightley
38 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I might have been listening to the same show as you 'cos that was news to me recently, too. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

That is excellent.Can't unhear him now. Cheers

I P Knightley
On 09/06/2020 at 21:32, I P Knightley said:

3.       Sheryl Crow – All I want to do?

No more progress on this one (with Nancy Sinatra added to the list) or did we all get sidetracked by Carly Simon's nipples?

8 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

No more progress on this one (with Nancy Sinatra added to the list) or did we all get sidetracked by Carly Simon's nipples?

I'll add One Way or Another by Blondie if it fits the bill.

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, JWL said:

I'll add One Way or Another by Blondie if it fits the bill.

Rejected

33 minutes ago, Boof said:

Still flummoxed...

Flummoxed... Still Flummoxed.

2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Rejected

Flummoxed... Still Flummoxed.

Beat then, really thought it was revenge girly songs.