• Greedy Jambo

• One five

• superjack

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dick Dastardly
On 22/09/2022 at 22:52, superjack said:

Wonder if someone can point me in the right direction. I’m still not decided on whether to buy the gretsch or not. However, either way, my Harley Benton needs a set up done on it. I don’t have access to a luthier up here. As it’s not needing anything major done, I want to tackle it myself. Can anyone recommend a decent website that explains everything in layman’s terms? Basically, I have 2 or 3 strings that sound slightly dull or dampened.

I know you've probably got this all done and dusted now but i just found this article and thought it might be of interest 

https://guitar.com/guides/diy-workshop/how-to-set-up-your-guitar-with-train/

29 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I know you've probably got this all done and dusted now but i just found this article and thought it might be of interest 

https://guitar.com/guides/diy-workshop/how-to-set-up-your-guitar-with-train/

Cheers for that, I really enjoyed that article. It also made me realise that I never checked the relief on my guitar before adjusting the action and the intonation.

Dick Dastardly
4 hours ago, superjack said:

Cheers for that, I really enjoyed that article. It also made me realise that I never checked the relief on my guitar before adjusting the action and the intonation.

I've never done anything like it at all. Any problems i take it to the shop. I'm not the most gifted DIYer in the world! 😂 😂 

3 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I've never done anything like it at all. Any problems i take it to the shop. I'm not the most gifted DIYer in the world! 😂 😂 

I found it quite easy after watching a few different videos, as long as you take your time and buy the proper tools, it was actually quite an enjoyable experience.

On a different note, i've found a couple of independent music shops on my travels that could probably do with some business. 

DC music in Whitburn and the Edinburgh Music Centre in Juniper green. 

Just recently bought these as a first step into wireless playing.  I haven't noticed any difference in tone or any latency.  They've also solved the grounding issues I was having with my Les Paul special. Haven't used them in a gig situation yet but plan to do that in a couple of weeks.

It's the way forward I think. 

54B40556-C0D2-4B44-A0AD-FE0CA1865480.jpeg

On 05/11/2022 at 11:04, davemclaren said:

Just recently bought these as a first step into wireless playing.  I haven't noticed any difference in tone or any latency.  They've also solved the grounding issues I was having with my Les Paul special. Haven't used them in a gig situation yet but plan to do that in a couple of weeks.

I'll assume, for once, that I'm a trendsetter then. 😉

Dick Dastardly
On 04/11/2022 at 19:07, Greedy Jambo said:

That's a highly suspicious post above lol

I aint clicking on that link. 

Agreed! 

Dick Dastardly
27 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Miming is a great idea.  

But but but he was using a wireless kit.  I don't know much about them but i can't see one plugged into his guitar at all

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

But but but he was using a wireless kit.  I don't know much about them but i can't see one plugged into his guitar at all

You certainly can't see one.  

Anorak fact. 
Angus Young used an ancient wireless set up as part of his studio  set up. He doesn’t use any pedals but they bought this wireless rig when they were still new technology and noticed it created a great sound as the tech wasn’t very good. So even though he obviously uses state of the art stuff now it’s still part of the signal path but in an updated form.  
http://www.voodooguitar.net/2016/10/angus-youngs-secret-wireless-weapon.html?m=1

4 hours ago, Tazio said:

Anorak fact. 
Angus Young used an ancient wireless set up as part of his studio  set up. He doesn’t use any pedals but they bought this wireless rig when they were still new technology and noticed it created a great sound as the tech wasn’t very good. So even though he obviously uses state of the art stuff now it’s still part of the signal path but in an updated form.  
http://www.voodooguitar.net/2016/10/angus-youngs-secret-wireless-weapon.html?m=1

Interesting. 👍

Finally bought it, a gretsch g5222. Bought it from scan Pro audio. I can't recommend them highly enough. Ordered on Monday, arrives in stornoway on Friday. Also, every guitar they sell, a luthier gives it a going over. Action couldn't be any lower without incurring fret buzz, guitar feels amazing.

On 05/11/2022 at 11:04, davemclaren said:

Used these at a gig on Saturday night. I was a bit worried about interference in a pub full of mobile phones but no issues whatsoever in terms of interference, latency or sound quality. Definitely the way forward. 

No miming either, all the mistakes were mine!

8 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Used these at a gig on Saturday night. I was a bit worried about interference in a pub full of mobile phones but no issues whatsoever in terms of interference, latency or sound quality. Definitely the way forward. 

No miming either, all the mistakes were mine!

How do these work with a pedal board Dave? 

24 minutes ago, One five said:

Different people have different thoughts on it but I’d put the receiver into the first pedal in the chain and then run a cable from the last pedal to the amp. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Different people have different thoughts on it but I’d put the receiver into the first pedal in the chain and then run a cable from the last pedal to the amp. 

Yeah that makes sense, I’m thinking of selling most of my analog pedals and going over to the dark side and get a digital multi effect board (well maybe lol) might buy a board first before I sell my beloved pedals, wireless appeal’s to me but I’m a bit old school tbh😂

2 minutes ago, One five said:

Yeah that makes sense, I’m thinking of selling most of my analog pedals and going over to the dark side and get a digital multi effect board (well maybe lol) might buy a board first before I sell my beloved pedals, wireless appeal’s to me but I’m a bit old school tbh😂

Buy first dump later (if you do at all). Digital multi effect boards take a bit of getting used to and like most of these things the price shows. I’ve only had a play with them as I don’t tend to go much beyond a chorus and an overdrive. Any other pedals I’ve owned were just for a bit of playing about with. 

16 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Buy first dump later (if you do at all). Digital multi effect boards take a bit of getting used to and like most of these things the price shows. I’ve only had a play with them as I don’t tend to go much beyond a chorus and an overdrive. Any other pedals I’ve owned were just for a bit of playing about with. 

I’m a bit of a pedal junkie lol, line 6 Helix looks the part and gets great reviews though but a very expensive change. 

1 hour ago, One five said:

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

I don't use a pedal board any more as I use a Boss Katana amp with GAFC and xsonic foot controllers. I still use a Boss tuner pedal and connect to that wirelessly then a cable into the amp. 

12 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I don't use a pedal board any more as I use a Boss Katana amp with GAFC and xsonic foot controllers. I still use a Boss tuner pedal and connect to that wirelessly then a cable into the amp. 

My band mate has a fender mustang similar to the Katana with on board effects pretty good sound 👍

9 minutes ago, One five said:

My band mate has a fender mustang similar to the Katana with on board effects pretty good sound 👍

And a lot lighter than a valve amp!!

• 1 month later...

Finally got round to puting need strings on my gretsch. A set of ernie ball heavy bottom skinny top. Then a small tweak to the pick up height, what a difference. I thought about lowering the action a touch, but didn't want to risk any fret buzz, mind you it is quite low anyway.

I'm a bit late to this thread as ive somehow missed it but I also bought an acoustic guitar at the start of lockdown. Never played before but always wanted to, thought it was the perfect time.

I struggled big time with the Yamaha acoustic and felt it's neck was far too thick, so moved on to a £100 Epiphone electric and also struggled with that.

I kept reading or seeing on YouTube that getting better guitar won't make you a better player and wondered what I had to do to get better and not just be stuck with E, A, D G for the rest of my life. I was demotivated big time and hardly touched the guitars.

About a year ago, I was discussing this with a mate who builds and repairs guitars, he told me a better guitar will make me a better player and gave me a lovely Squire Jaguar (white & maroon), I think they usually cost about £350?

It really made an unbelievable difference to my playing. Everything became easier - chords were sharper, barre chords became easy with a thinner neck and everything just felt right.

I improved drastically, it made me want to play every day, all the time, and now I can play about 20 songs from memory. Bought myself an Orange amp to upgrade the cheapo I got a while back and everying just sounds so good now.

Last few weeks I've been working on The Adults Are Talking by The Strokes and it's really helped picking, which I still struggle with. What a tune though and I'm super proud I can play Albert Hammond Jr's notes for the full song.

At the moment, there's not a better hobby I can think of than picking up my guitar and learning a tune. It really gives a great sense of achievement and I think it's just a really cool way to spend my spare time.

I wish I'd done this as a teenager, instead of waiting til mid 40's.

12062313490632f2.jpg

Edited by OmiyaHearts

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I've not picked a guitar up this year! Really lacking motivation 

It happens mate but you will get it back when your ready 👍

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, One five said:

It happens mate but you will get it back when your ready 👍

Yeah, I've always been the same. Probably why im pish at it 😆😆😆

On 22/01/2023 at 22:07, Dick Dastardly said:

Yeah, I've always been the same. Probably why im pish at it 😆😆😆

To me it doesn't matter how good you are, it's how much you enjoy playing. At first I only enjoyed playing my favourite type of music, a mix of punk, rock and metal. However, when I got it out when my mates were around (we were all quite stoned at this point), it donned on me that none of my mates actually listened to a lot of the same music as me. Since then I forced myself to learn something a bit more popular but still rocky. Took a bit to get into it but really loving it now. Started trying to play sweet home alabama tonight, within half an hour (in my head anyway) I think I've nailed it.

What made the biggest difference for my playing and enjoyment was upgrading to a semi decent guitar.

So, try something new and see how it goes bud.

Dick Dastardly
12 hours ago, superjack said:

To me it doesn't matter how good you are, it's how much you enjoy playing. At first I only enjoyed playing my favourite type of music, a mix of punk, rock and metal. However, when I got it out when my mates were around (we were all quite stoned at this point), it donned on me that none of my mates actually listened to a lot of the same music as me. Since then I forced myself to learn something a bit more popular but still rocky. Took a bit to get into it but really loving it now. Started trying to play sweet home alabama tonight, within half an hour (in my head anyway) I think I've nailed it.

What made the biggest difference for my playing and enjoyment was upgrading to a semi decent guitar.

So, try something new and see how it goes bud.

I have weeks where i sound (in my head at least) amazing and then it just begins to sound awful 😂😂

I was watching a few foo fighters tutorials last night to try and inspire me 🤞🤞

45 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I have weeks where i sound (in my head at least) amazing and then it just begins to sound awful 😂😂

I was watching a few foo fighters tutorials last night to try and inspire me 🤞🤞

Only really tried 1 foo fighters song, monkey wrench. Put the guitar into drop d, and found it not too difficult after a wee bit.

My biggest problem is I struggle to pick up tunes by ear. I either search for tabs or use a YouTube tutorial.

Dick Dastardly
4 hours ago, superjack said:

Only really tried 1 foo fighters song, monkey wrench. Put the guitar into drop d, and found it not too difficult after a wee bit.

My biggest problem is I struggle to pick up tunes by ear. I either search for tabs or use a YouTube tutorial.

I've only ever got one tune by ear and it was kind of am accident. I was just plucking about with the open d and sus chords and found myself playing some random 70s disco song. I can't even remember what it was now. 

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I've only ever got one tune by ear and it was kind of am accident. I was just plucking about with the open d and sus chords and found myself playing some random 70s disco song. I can't even remember what it was now. 

When I started playing guitar in the 70s the only option for learning a song was to buy sheet music ( too expensive ) get someone to show you or play a record over and over again to learn the song by ear.  

It did mean that decades later you sometimes found out you weren't quite playing the right chords all that time. 😄

51 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

When I started playing guitar in the 70s the only option for learning a song was to buy sheet music ( too expensive ) get someone to show you or play a record over and over again to learn the song by ear.  

It did mean that decades later you sometimes found out you weren't quite playing the right chords all that time. 😄

When I originally started playing as a teenager in the mid 80s, I used to save my cash and buy music books from varsity music (I think that was the name) on the bridges whenever we were visiting my grand parents. Luckily they lived on the High Street just above the grey horse pub so it was just a few minute walk around the corner. They were brilliant, if they never had a certain book they would go out of their way to find it. I learnt how to play motorhead tunes, master of puppets album from start to finish (admittedly it was a few years later as I didn't understand the concept of power chords and chugging). My favourite was when I got the music for appetite for destruction.

I use to buy the album books with all the music when I first started and found it so difficult trying to play along with the songs I used to get so frustrated. The thing that drove me on as a guitarist was when I started playing with a backing track, at first it was simple blues tracks just to get my head round the shapes of scales etc then progressed to songs I liked and loved. We all learn different ways lol  the best thing I ever did was learned the guitar so many years of enjoyment and you never stop learning.

55 minutes ago, One five said:

I use to buy the album books with all the music when I first started and found it so difficult trying to play along with the songs I used to get so frustrated. The thing that drove me on as a guitarist was when I started playing with a backing track, at first it was simple blues tracks just to get my head round the shapes of scales etc then progressed to songs I liked and loved. We all learn different ways lol  the best thing I ever did was learned the guitar so many years of enjoyment and you never stop learning.

When I re-started playing a couple of years ago, it was just you tube tutorials, but I'm quite comfortable using tabs again now. The ultimate guitar app is brilliant on my ipad. A lot of songs have a backing track where you can choose which instrument you are playing, from rhythm to lead to bass etc. The inly thing I don't like is, instead of vocals it is a clarinet playing. Sounded  comical when I was learning pretty fly for a white guy the other week.