The Corona Guitar thread.

Greedy Jambo

3 minutes ago, One five said:

Nice Dave, I’ve a studio LP awesome used to play my strat more but the LP is my go to now 👍

I already have a Les Paul Classic but I find it too heavy and I’m not a fan of humbuckers so It’s being replaced with this. 

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• One five

• superjack

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I already have a Les Paul Classic but I find it too heavy and I’m not a fan of humbuckers so It’s being replaced with this. 

Yeah the LP is heavy , when I do a 3 hour session at the studio with my mates I often take the Strat. Don’t get me wrong I love my Fender great neck pick up for solos getting played (badly)lol

12 minutes ago, One five said:

Yeah the LP is heavy , when I do a 3 hour session at the studio with my mates I often take the Strat. Don’t get me wrong I love my Fender great neck pick up for solos getting played (badly)lol

I normally play a strat but I like this as well. 

Dick Dastardly

Just gave my favourite acoustic a nice polish and oiled the fretboard. Put some new strings on and tuned it up. Stretched the strings out a bit, got it back into tune and pop, the e string snaps. ****in reeling. First time a guitar string has ever broken on me. What a waste of £8. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Just gave my favourite acoustic a nice polish and oiled the fretboard. Put some new strings on and tuned it up. Stretched the strings out a bit, got it back into tune and pop, the e string snaps. ****in reeling. First time a guitar string has ever broken on me. What a waste of £8. 

The high e string is a tricky little begger to tune. I snapped the d string on mine so can't play anything evolving an e chord right now 😒 Barre chords are out too.

Dick Dastardly
35 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

The high e string is a tricky little begger to tune. I snapped the d string on mine so can't play anything evolving an e chord right now 😒 Barre chords are out too.

Its annoying that i never even got a chord out of them! I really hate restringing as well. I think i might just pay the extra money and get the tech in the shop to do it 😂😂

All roads lead to Gorgie
12 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Its annoying that i never even got a chord out of them! I really hate restringing as well. I think i might just pay the extra money and get the tech in the shop to do it 😂😂

Good idea, they will check the tuners are turning properly too.

Dick Dastardly
11 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Good idea, they will check the tuners are turning properly too.

What do you mean? 

All roads lead to Gorgie
23 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

What do you mean? 

The tuning knobs can sometimes be loose and that can lead to a sudden change in tension which can break a string. If one string goes out of tune quickly then its the tuner at fault. 

Dick Dastardly
5 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

The tuning knobs can sometimes be loose and that can lead to a sudden change in tension which can break a string. If one string goes out of tune quickly then its the tuner at fault. 

Ahh good to know. Cheers 

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Ahh good to know. Cheers 

You can get locking tuners for Electric Guitars which stop them moving once strung, I'm not sure about acoustics though. I'm no expert, only know what I've read :thumbsup:

Dick Dastardly
11 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

You can get locking tuners for Electric Guitars which stop them moving once strung, I'm not sure about acoustics though. I'm no expert, only know what I've read :thumbsup:

Are those the ones that sit just behind the nut? I had one like that on a cheap  Lindo acoustic i bought from amazon when i first started, a mistake i will never make again! 😂 😂 

12 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Did you lubricate your nut? 🥸

• 4 weeks later...

Wonder if someone can point me in the right direction. I’m still not decided on whether to buy the gretsch or not. However, either way, my Harley Benton needs a set up done on it. I don’t have access to a luthier up here. As it’s not needing anything major done, I want to tackle it myself. Can anyone recommend a decent website that explains everything in layman’s terms? Basically, I have 2 or 3 strings that sound slightly dull or dampened.

Dick Dastardly
On 22/09/2022 at 22:52, superjack said:

Wonder if someone can point me in the right direction. I’m still not decided on whether to buy the gretsch or not. However, either way, my Harley Benton needs a set up done on it. I don’t have access to a luthier up here. As it’s not needing anything major done, I want to tackle it myself. Can anyone recommend a decent website that explains everything in layman’s terms? Basically, I have 2 or 3 strings that sound slightly dull or dampened.

You're probably best to look on YouTube, aren't you? There are loads of instructional videos on there. I love watching this guys videos

https://youtube.com/user/twoodfrd

But i think each one is only really relevant to the guitar he is fixing. Loads to learn and adapt if you have the time and patience, i suppose. 

3 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

You're probably best to look on YouTube, aren't you? There are loads of instructional videos on there. I love watching this guys videos

https://youtube.com/user/twoodfrd

But i think each one is only really relevant to the guitar he is fixing. Loads to learn and adapt if you have the time and patience, i suppose. 

thanks for that. i was having a good look around at this page and some others as well. i am going to wait until i eventually buy another toy, definitely a gretsch (i think, too many choices for a simple guy like me!) then i am going to have a good go at it.

Dick Dastardly
9 hours ago, superjack said:

thanks for that. i was having a good look around at this page and some others as well. i am going to wait until i eventually buy another toy, definitely a gretsch (i think, too many choices for a simple guy like me!) then i am going to have a good go at it.

Yeah, that sounds a sensible plan 

10 hours ago, Harko said:

78E27E6E-9DF8-459A-8CE2-7479AEF17BE3.thumb.png.349ddcd015ede01f3bf7320e97fde97e.png  

Got this bad boy a couple of months ago - and I absolutely love it

A beautiful looking guitar. I'm just imagining the heavy sound from it with the distortion at full.

Quick question, has anyone used or heard of the shop Play Music Today? Seem the gretsch I really want but 70 quid cheaper than any other site I’ve seen it on. I'm worried it's a case of too good to be true.

On 29/09/2022 at 01:01, Harko said:

78E27E6E-9DF8-459A-8CE2-7479AEF17BE3.thumb.png.349ddcd015ede01f3bf7320e97fde97e.png  

Got this bad boy a couple of months ago - and I absolutely love it

Image of Harley Benton Extreme MetalWith this pedal it would  blow your balls of 🤘

Dick Dastardly

I'm not sure how to describe this properly but I'll try... 

At the 14th fret on the D, G and B strings i am only getting a kind of twangy, muffled tone, as if something is stuck between tge strings, which there isn't. The strings are only a couple of weeks old and sound fine everywhere else. Anyone any ideas? 

21 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I'm not sure how to describe this properly but I'll try... 

At the 14th fret on the D, G and B strings i am only getting a kind of twangy, muffled tone, as if something is stuck between tge strings, which there isn't. The strings are only a couple of weeks old and sound fine everywhere else. Anyone any ideas? 

Sounds like the truss rod needs adjusted. 

Dick Dastardly
4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Sounds like the truss rod needs adjusted. 

It's never been a problem before though. What would cause it to need adjusted? 

2 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

It's never been a problem before though. What would cause it to need adjusted? 

Possibly you’ve put a different gauge of string on than the last ones and the different tension has made the neck behave differently. 

Dick Dastardly
Just now, Tazio said:

Possibly you’ve put a different gauge of string on than the last ones and the different tension has made the neck behave differently. 

That is exactly it! I put on a heavier gauge than normal and haven't been playing as far up the neck as that. Cheers! 

Dick Dastardly
On 02/10/2022 at 17:06, Tazio said:

It wasn't that after all. That's as much as I'm saying though

6 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

It wasn't that after all. That's as much as I'm saying though

Yeah, putting on heavier strings would add more curvature to the neck so less chance of dead spots. You have to tell us what the problem was. 😄

Dick Dastardly
40 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Yeah, putting on heavier strings would add more curvature to the neck so less chance of dead spots. You have to tell us what the problem was. 😄

School boy error. I'm too embarrassed to say what though! 😂 😂 

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/09/2022 at 07:14, Dick Dastardly said:

Yeah, that sounds a sensible plan 

I was restringing it today so I adjusted the truss rod, filed the grooves for the d and g strings on the nut, set the intonation and adjusted the pick up height. What a difference to the sound it has made.

38 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I'm murder at setting the intonation, maybe that's why i've sold every Epiphone i've ever owned. 

It was my first time. I watched a few different you tube videos before starting. I'm only surprised that I had the patience!

Dick Dastardly
11 hours ago, superjack said:

I was restringing it today so I adjusted the truss rod, filed the grooves for the d and g strings on the nut, set the intonation and adjusted the pick up height. What a difference to the sound it has made.

Did you make sure the saddle hadn't falken out? Sounds weird up the higj frets without it..... 

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Did you make sure the saddle hadn't falken out? Sounds weird up the higj frets without it..... 

The bottom E string saddle wasn't sitting right at all, sorted now. It's amazing the difference I'm hearing.

Dick Dastardly
30 minutes ago, One five said:

Good on you guys 👍I can only change strings make a noise and play about with pedals lol

I can make a noise. Still not got my loop pedal figured out after having it 2 yrs. Think I'll just stick with a low tech approach 

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I can make a noise. Still not got my loop pedal figured out after having it 2 yrs. Think I'll just stick with a low tech approach 

I tried using a looper as well, a bit too much multi tasking for me.

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, superjack said:

I tried using a looper as well, a bit too much multi tasking for me.

And they make it look so easy! I mainly use mine for recording so i can transfer it to my laptop, not that I've ever recorded anything worth listening to! 

24 minutes ago, One five said:

I love the looper pedal great for practicing, I use the  trio drum and bass 👍

I've got a boss rc30. Its a cracking bit of kit but i just cant use it very well. I really want a beat buddy but i can't afford it just now

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

And they make it look so easy! I mainly use mine for recording so i can transfer it to my laptop, not that I've ever recorded anything worth listening to! 

I've got a boss rc30. Its a cracking bit of kit but i just cant use it very well. I really want a beat buddy but i can't afford it just now

My mates got the beat buddy and loves it , it’s getting used to them they are all pretty good in there own way 👍

Dick Dastardly
24 minutes ago, One five said:

My mates got the beat buddy and loves it , it’s getting used to them they are all pretty good in there own way 👍

Give me a shout if he ever decides to sell 😂😂