The Corona Guitar thread.

Greedy Jambo

52 minutes ago, One five said:

A looper will definitely improve you, I’ve also a digitech Trio plus it’s a pedal to make you’re own backing tracks with bass and drums, check it out it might be what your after mate👍

Just checked it out. An amazing piece of kit but out of my price range. Will probably stick with getting a nice wee amp with built in effects and a looper. 

Seen the following amp, https://www.thomann.de/gb/mooer_sd_30_modelling_combo.htm#bewertung. Suits my current needs perfectly. Maybe in time, I might consider spending more cash on higher quality kit, I'll just see how I get on for now.

I really love this thread, getting some great advice. Without this thread I would never have heard of harley benton guitars and taken a chance on a second hand guitar on ebay or Facebook.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• One five

• superjack

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, superjack said:

Just checked it out. An amazing piece of kit but out of my price range. Will probably stick with getting a nice wee amp with built in effects and a looper. 

Seen the following amp, https://www.thomann.de/gb/mooer_sd_30_modelling_combo.htm#bewertung. Suits my current needs perfectly. Maybe in time, I might consider spending more cash on higher quality kit, I'll just see how I get on for now.

I really love this thread, getting some great advice. Without this thread I would never have heard of harley benton guitars and taken a chance on a second hand guitar on ebay or Facebook.

Yeah you have to keep to your budget 👍, guitar forums are usually great for advice but I’ve been on some that the guy’s just want to come over as know it all’s ! but be your own guitar player play the way you want and you will become the player (if you have the time to do so)you and will enjoy it, practice time is the key the more you push yourself the better you’ll become 👍

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, One five said:

Got myself a guitar to go with a lovely strap I got as a gift awesome 😎

481B0075-16A6-4F23-BAEE-AB2539A1DDD7.jpeg

That's a very nice looking SG. The colour and the strap couldn't be better!

11 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

That's a very nice looking SG. The colour and the strap couldn't be better!

That’s what attracted me to it lol, It’s not a Gibson unfortunately but it plays like a dream 👍

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 minute ago, One five said:

That’s what attracted me to it lol, It’s not a Gibson unfortunately but it plays like a dream 👍

I don't own one myself but it always strikes me that the Gibson copies look and sound a lot better than their Fender counterparts. 

48 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I don't own one myself but it always strikes me that the Gibson copies look and sound a lot better than their Fender counterparts. 

Yeah totally agree , Gibson are great guitars but you pick up a copy that sounds brilliant, a good amp is the trick.

As I'm really loving playing my guitar, I feel I'm ready to take it to the next level now. If I watch a video lesson, or even just pay attention to watching someone play, I can usually pick up the rhythm, however I've never been able to pick up a tune by ear. I'm am working on learning lead now and I would live to be able to just improvise, you know, just play along without needing instructions all the time (again, you tube lessons are sufficient but I don't want to have to rely on them all the time). I know my major and minor pentatonic scales, so I believe the basics are already there. What tips would you all give? 

Forgot to add, @One five, that's a cracking looking guitar in the perfect colour.

Edited by superjack

1 hour ago, One five said:

Yeah totally agree , Gibson are great guitars but you pick up a copy that sounds brilliant, a good amp is the trick.

If you get the chance to pick up a Vintage brand Gibson copy go for it. They’re excellent and piss all over the Epiphones at the same price. 

32 minutes ago, superjack said:

As I'm really loving playing my guitar, I feel I'm ready to take it to the next level now. If I watch a video lesson, or even just pay attention to watching someone play, I can usually pick up the rhythm, however I've never been able to pick up a tune by ear. I'm am working on learning lead now and I would live to be able to just improvise, you know, just play along without needing instructions all the time (again, you tube lessons are sufficient but I don't want to have to rely on them all the time). I know my major and minor pentatonic scales, so I believe the basics are already there. What tips would you all give? 

Forgot to add, @One five, that's a cracking looking guitar in the perfect colour.

Cheers yeah the SG looks great in that colour,  If you know your major and minor pentatonic scales your on the right track , maybe get yourself in a band that will improve you big time mate and lots of fun👍

23 minutes ago, Tazio said:

If you get the chance to pick up a Vintage brand Gibson copy go for it. They’re excellent and piss all over the Epiphones at the same price. 

Heard they Vintage guitars are very good for the money, never played one myself but a guy I used to work with raved about them.

2 minutes ago, One five said:

Heard they Vintage guitars are very good for the money, never played one myself but a guy I used to work with raved about them.

I first came across them doing a few gigs with Adam Holmes and his guitarist at the time had retired his Gibson Les Paul from live work and was using a Vintage instead and loved it. 

8 minutes ago, One five said:

Cheers yeah the SG looks great in that colour,  If you know your major and minor pentatonic scales your on the right track , maybe get yourself in a band that will improve you big time mate and lots of fun👍

That’s something I would like to do, even just another guitar player to jam with. Out of all my mates that play guitar, my mate Alan is a great guitarist (Has an album out which is in Spotify, Apple Music etc called yes why not). However, his music is folk and he can’t stand most rock or any metal (probably 1 of the few differences between us). Not sure if you, or anyone else on this thread fancies moving to Lewis?

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I first came across them doing a few gigs with Adam Holmes and his guitarist at the time had retired his Gibson Les Paul from live work and was using a Vintage instead and loved it. 

Sounds like you know your stuff mate 👍 , I’ve only played in small time cover bands but love it it gives me a buzz.

3 minutes ago, One five said:

Sounds like you know your stuff mate 👍 , I’ve only played in small time cover bands but love it it gives me a buzz.

I leave the talent onstage. Strictly behind the scenes. 

5 minutes ago, superjack said:

That’s something I would like to do, even just another guitar player to jam with. Out of all my mates that play guitar, my mate Alan is a great guitarist (Has an album out which is in Spotify, Apple Music etc called yes why not). However, his music is folk and he can’t stand most rock or any metal (probably 1 of the few differences between us). Not sure if you, or anyone else on this thread fancies moving to Lewis?

Lovely part of the world 👍, stick an ad on GumtreeUK or a note on the local supermarket, you never know mate there’s maybe someone near you with the same thoughts 🤞

Well, looks like I made a huge mistake. Thinking I knew the minor pentatonic scale, I didn't realise there is 5 different shapes, I only knew the E minor. Sort of explains what I couldn't work out, when playing a melody in A, it wasn't located on just the 1 part of the neck. DUH. At least I know what I'm upto tonight. 

Edited by superjack
Usual, sp

3 hours ago, superjack said:

Well, looks like I made a huge mistake. Thinking I knew the minor pentatonic scale, I didn't realise there is 5 different shapes, I only knew the E minor. Sort of explains what I couldn't work out, when playing a melody in A, it wasn't located on just the 1 part of the neck. DUH. At least I know what I'm upto tonight. 

It does feel like a mine field when learning the scales but once you get used to the different shapes it becomes fun to play .A good song to practice you’re E minor pentatonic scale is cocaine by Clapton the solo is all in that key 👍

19 hours ago, Tazio said:

I have a Vintage resonator guitar I picked up cheap second hand. Nice guitar. 

5 hours ago, One five said:

It does feel like a mine field when learning the scales but once you get used to the different shapes it becomes fun to play .A good song to practice you’re E minor pentatonic scale is cocaine by Clapton the solo is all in that key 👍

Cheers for that. I'll do some practice on the scales first then try some cocaine! Although my top choice is usually metal, I do love a bit of Clapton.

On 03/02/2022 at 13:50, One five said:

Made a start working on them tonight, just a mix of the first 3 shapes so far. Once I started getting the feel after a few minutes and started playing around, I realised I was basically playing a couple of different oasis solos simultaneously, just in a different key (Noel seems to like using the f# key).
I wish I started here a year ago. Once I’m used to mixing all the shapes, I’ll move onto your suggestion.

55 minutes ago, superjack said:

Made a start working on them tonight, just a mix of the first 3 shapes so far. Once I started getting the feel after a few minutes and started playing around, I realised I was basically playing a couple of different oasis solos simultaneously, just in a different key (Noel seems to like using the f# key).
I wish I started here a year ago. Once I’m used to mixing all the shapes, I’ll move onto your suggestion.

I’ve not played a lot of oasis stuff tbh only one I’ve played is “rock n star” very simple solo .

6 minutes ago, One five said:

I’ve not played a lot of oasis stuff tbh only one I’ve played is “rock n star” very simple solo .

That was the first 1 I noticed, followed by the supersonic solo. 

12 minutes ago, superjack said:

That was the first 1 I noticed, followed by the supersonic solo. 

Not a big oasis fan but I must admit I enjoyed playing that one the song drives really well when you play it👍

On 28/01/2022 at 22:31, superjack said:

Well, I was looking on ebay and found someone selling this exact amp, excellent condition. I asked if the free delivery extends to the islands, turns out they're located in the next village to me, a whole 2 minute drive. Picking it up on Saturday.

Fender Jazz bass American Professional II

Expensive but what a sound.

Absolutely loving it and the LT25 bass amp is also a great bit of kit

BA4ECA41-0A6C-4486-80EF-2CD2897233CD.jpeg

Picked up the new amp last night, oy had it on for half an hour while trying the different effects, very Impressed. Can't wait to crank up the volume and have a good blast on it.

On 02/02/2022 at 21:38, superjack said:

The biggest advances you'll ever make is playing with other people .. learning when not to play, and playing in time with others is not as easy as one may think

4 hours ago, hmfc_steve said:

The biggest advances you'll ever make is playing with other people .. learning when not to play, and playing in time with others is not as easy as one may think

Very true , I remember the first time I played with a proper band drums, bass and a singer playing guitar, being used to playing myself I was all over the place! Playing rhythm parts when I shouldn’t etc etc.

10 hours ago, hmfc_steve said:

6 hours ago, One five said:

Very true , I remember the first time I played with a proper band drums, bass and a singer playing guitar, being used to playing myself I was all over the place! Playing rhythm parts when I shouldn’t etc etc.

Totally agree, however I don't feel confident enough in my playing yet. Would be different if it was a mate who could play, but I feel I need a bit more time getting used to playing first.

5 minutes ago, superjack said:

Totally agree, however I don't feel confident enough in my playing yet. Would be different if it was a mate who could play, but I feel I need a bit more time getting used to playing first.

Understandable mate you have to feel comfortable in what you are doing.

1 minute ago, superjack said:

You should go for it  I have been playing pro/ semi pro for over 55 years, I first started at 14 playing with a couple of mates in my dads garage. We did not have a clue what we were doing and made a god awful racket 😁, however through time we started to get the hang of it. Trust me there is nothing like playing with other musicians good or bad it's a learning curve. There will be crap times there will be good times but I can assure you when it comes together there is no better feeling the buzz is like nothing else. Give it a try you will not regret it, never mind how good or bad you are just go for it....and remember at all times ROCK OOT....good luck.

3 hours ago, micole said:

You should go for it  I have been playing pro/ semi pro for over 55 years, I first started at 14 playing with a couple of mates in my dads garage. We did not have a clue what we were doing and made a god awful racket 😁, however through time we started to get the hang of it. Trust me there is nothing like playing with other musicians good or bad it's a learning curve. There will be crap times there will be good times but I can assure you when it comes together there is no better feeling the buzz is like nothing else. Give it a try you will not regret it, never mind how good or bad you are just go for it....and remember at all times ROCK OOT....good luck.

My worry is, as it wouldn't be a mate at a similar level, it would have to be someone I don't really know that we'll or at all (only 1 of my mates plays and he's very good, but plays folk. If you like folk, check out his album "and why not" on Spotify, apple music etc, and I play rock or metal). I'd be worried about them being too far advanced for my level of playing just now.

40 minutes ago, superjack said:

My worry is, as it wouldn't be a mate at a similar level, it would have to be someone I don't really know that we'll or at all (only 1 of my mates plays and he's very good, but plays folk. If you like folk, check out his album "and why not" on Spotify, apple music etc, and I play rock or metal). I'd be worried about them being too far advanced for my level of playing just now.

Just stick a wee note on FB or any SM asking for any like minded early starters wishing to get a jam together, worth a try. You will be surprised at guys like yourself just getting started looking to get something going. Another way is if You can get along to any jam nights at a pub near you. You do not have to join in but just get to meet people and listen to what's going on.

Edited by micole

• 1 month later...
On 03/01/2022 at 17:13, Jamhammer said:

Cheers Liam 

Once I get the Fender I’ll get after the RB copy I reckon

Here it is. Sounds decent

A98B924F-820E-41CB-9C48-9A5D65EC4BDD.jpeg

On 03/01/2022 at 17:13, Jamhammer said:

Cheers Liam 

Once I get the Fender I’ll get after the RB copy I reckon

2 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

A98B924F-820E-41CB-9C48-9A5D65EC4BDD.jpeg

I’m amazed they got away with that as Rickenbacker are usually straight onto the lawyers if anyone copies their instruments. 

Just now, Tazio said:

I’m amazed they got away with that as Rickenbacker are usually straight onto the lawyers if anyone copies their instruments. 

I’m gonna get an artist mate to mess about with it. I’ll post when done. Very happy with it for £200

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd give an update. After practicing playing lead for a while, I realised that I don't get the same buzz as I do when playing rhythm. Looks like I'm an Edinburgh born malcolm young instead of Angus. However, since I realised this and concentrating more on rhythm, I feel I've improved something amazing (in my ears anyway). My daughters pal in our village, her dad is a decent guitarist who plays in a semi decent rock band (thousand mile stare). He lives in Inverness so whenever he's over we have a wee jam, so few beers and 1 or 3 smokes. We were playing this afternoon, was meant to be for an hour, however, when I checked my phone, I realised we'd been at it for almost 4 hours.

I've started tuning my axe down a step (e flat etc). Took a bit to get used to at first, bit it's amazing the difference it makes when playing some acdc and guns n roses.

Edited by superjack
Spelling, as usual.

Yeah your correct Tazio there’s a lot tune down or tune to an open chord , Kieth Richards is famous tuning to an open G , I’m in thd middle of learning poison by Cooper although the rhythm is standard tuning the lead has the G strings tuned down , clever stuff .

12 minutes ago, One five said:

Yeah your correct Tazio there’s a lot tune down or tune to an open chord , Kieth Richards is famous tuning to an open G , I’m in thd middle of learning poison by Cooper although the rhythm is standard tuning the lead has the G strings tuned down , clever stuff .

I’ve got an old knackered Epiphone that only has a bridge pick up and a broken nut so you can’t put a low E on it so naturally I tuned it to 5 string open G like Keef. It’s amazing that you instantly sound like him and it’s good fun to mess around with. Someone I know did a tour as Ry Cooder’s guitar tech and was given a notebook with all the various odd tunings he uses, some of which he’d never heard of or considered as possible. Joni Mitchell is the same with tunings. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

I’ve got an old knackered Epiphone that only has a bridge pick up and a broken nut so you can’t put a low E on it so naturally I tuned it to 5 string open G like Keef. It’s amazing that you instantly sound like him and it’s good fun to mess around with. Someone I know did a tour as Ry Cooder’s guitar tech and was given a notebook with all the various odd tunings he uses, some of which he’d never heard of or considered as possible. Joni Mitchell is the same with tunings. 

Awesome mate , I’ve an old Westone axe I use for open tuning  its great fun.

• 4 weeks later...
Greedy Jambo

I've dragged the acoustic guitar out of the loft and put a new set of strings on it. 

D'Addario Phosphor Bronze 0.12 - 0.53 light gauge. 

Sounds so much better, highly recommend.