The Corona Guitar thread.

Greedy Jambo

On 31/12/2021 at 12:52, hmfc_liam06 said:

There wasn’t any import taxes. It was £165 but I bought a few other bits and bobs. Free delivery over £150.

Cheers Liam 

Once I get the Fender I’ll get after the RB copy I reckon

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• One five

• superjack

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

Cheers Liam 

Once I get the Fender I’ll get after the RB copy I reckon

I’ll let you know what the guitar is like, it should arrive tomorrow 🤞

27 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I’ll let you know what the guitar is like, it should arrive tomorrow 🤞

I bought an SC Jazz Bass copy fit £180 and it’s, honestly just a cracking wee bass.

Green, sadly but you can’t have everything 

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Guitar arrived today, certainly no complaints at the price point anyway. Plays well and a really nice finish.

Always nice if it feels ok straight out the box. 

Anyone here ever owned a resonator guitar? I’m kind of getting the urge for one. 

Back of the Bus

Got myself a Gibson J45 to chase away / enhance the Corona blues. 

it’s one of those guitars you know you’ll have by your side for the rest of yer days. 

13 minutes ago, Back of the Bus said:

it’s one of those guitars you know you’ll have by your side for the rest of yer days. 

Wow now that is an awesome guitar, good for you mate it’s up there with the best👍

29 minutes ago, Back of the Bus said:

Lovely. I’ve only played one once and preferred it to the comparable Martin guitars. Both great guitars but the Gibson just felt a bit nicer and brighter. 

15 hours ago, Tazio said:

Anyone here ever owned a resonator guitar? I’m kind of getting the urge for one. 

Yeah gave it a tune up and from my little knowledge on guitar set ups, it seems spot on.

I’m not doing anything crazy with it, got an old practice amp that I had it running through on a low setting and it sounded good.

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah gave it a tune up and from my little knowledge on guitar set ups, it seems spot on.

I’m not doing anything crazy with it, got an old practice amp that I had it running through on a low setting and it sounded good.

Your recent posts on here are really keeping my excitement levels high as I await my new toy.

10 minutes ago, superjack said:

Your recent posts on here are really keeping my excitement levels high as I await my new toy.

Same,  I’ve just ordered an amp 👍

N Lincs Jambo
On 31/12/2021 at 10:46, micole said:

Looks great. Remember and get it set up properly ( by a guitar tech) it will make a huge difference to the feel and playability of the guitar.

Speaking of guitar techs, I have a Custom SG copy in burgundy which I bought second hand in 1979 from a school mate. I learned how to play on it but for the last few years it has been in its case under the stairs. Came across a guitar tech on FB who is fairly local to me who is going to sort it. Loads wrong - truss rod problems, uneven frets, can't stay in tune for more than 5 seconds and the finish is faded. If he can sort it properly it will be like getting a brand new guitar!

Ainsley Harriott

Considering how non lethal omicron is and the fact it's now the dominate variant by rather a long way perhaps it's time we stop testing? I know I won't undergo a test even if I become unwell. Do I feel well enough to leave the house? I will. Do I feel really unwell I will stay home. Exactly like we used to do.

16 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Considering how non lethal omicron is and the fact it's now the dominate variant by rather a long way perhaps it's time we stop testing? I know I won't undergo a test even if I become unwell. Do I feel well enough to leave the house? I will. Do I feel really unwell I will stay home. Exactly like we used to do.

What song are those lyrics from? ::troll::

1 hour ago, superjack said:

Haha nice one. Hope you enjoy it when it comes.

17 hours ago, Tazio said:

Re Resonators, I've had four over the years, currently have two. One is a 1932 National Style O and despite being 90 years old is dead mint, I am the second owner and that guitar will have to be ripped from my dying arms.  The other reso is a 2000 model National Polychrome Tricone with the Highlander Pickup. The Style O is Nickel Plated Brass body with a single cone and sounds loud and punchy , good for delta country blues. The Tricone sounds more liquid even though it has a steel body.

Someone mentioned Seth Lover Humbuckers further up, lucky to have a 1972 Fender Thinline Telecaster again am the second owner, it is a ridiculously good guitar despite 70's Fenders having a poor rep, also going to the grave with me.

20200102_132519.jpg

20200102_121226.jpg

20200102_120248.jpg

1 minute ago, kjm said:

Re Resonators, I've had four over the years, currently have two. One is a 1932 National Style O and despite being 90 years old is dead mint, I am the second owner and that guitar will have to be ripped from my dying arms.  The other reso is a 2000 model National Polychrome Tricone with the Highlander Pickup. The Style O is Nickel Plated Brass body with a single cone and sounds loud and punchy , good for delta country blues. The Tricone sounds more liquid even though it has a steel body.

Someone mentioned Seth Lover Humbuckers further up, lucky to have a 1972 Fender Thinline Telecaster again am the second owner, it is a ridiculously good guitar despite 70's Fenders having a poor rep, also going to the grave with me.

20200102_132519.jpg

20200102_121226.jpg

20200102_120248.jpg

Oddly it was me that mentioned Seth Lover as well. That Thinline is a gorgeous guitar that I covet hugely. I’ve always fancied a resonator but couldn’t justify it to myself but someone is selling a cheap on on Gumtree that is quite tempting. Nowhere near as good as yours but for something to muck around with £60 is nothing. 

Back of the Bus
17 hours ago, One five said:

Wow now that is an awesome guitar, good for you mate it’s up there with the best👍

17 hours ago, Tazio said:

Lovely. I’ve only played one once and preferred it to the comparable Martin guitars. Both great guitars but the Gibson just felt a bit nicer and brighter. 

Plays like a dream. It’s a really really beautifully built piece of kit. 

Paid for by no holidays away for 2 years. Cheers Covid! 

48 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Oddly it was me that mentioned Seth Lover as well. That Thinline is a gorgeous guitar that I covet hugely. I’ve always fancied a resonator but couldn’t justify it to myself but someone is selling a cheap on on Gumtree that is quite tempting. Nowhere near as good as yours but for something to muck around with £60 is nothing. 

Depending on which model you get , there are some good upgrades that you can do . For example if it is National style guitar as opposed to a Dobro with a spider type bridge, there are a good number of aftermarket cones available that can be replaced quite easily that can improve the tone.

Great place for good info on Resos is the Michael Messer Forum...lots of good info there on everything from Reso orientated  tech stuff  to music and also a market place worth checking out...

The Thinline I got in 1980. When I was still a schoolboy in 1972, I used to on a Saturday wander round every guitar shop in Edinburgh, one of them being oddly enough the SSEB Showroom at Picardy Place . It used to sell domestic appliances on the ground floor but upstairs there was a music dept and that was the first time I ever saw  real Fender and Gibson guitars. One week on my hike round the guitar shops I ventured into SSEB and there I saw the Thinline , I had a paper round but there was no way I was going to be able to buy that guitar and sadly the following week it was gone.

Never saw another one in there in all my visits after that.  Fast forward to 1980 , still looking for guitars , the Evening News classifieds was where guitars were sold locally, I used to scan the ads for any guitars. One week I could not believe my eyes there was an ad for a Thinline Tele for sale , I called the number and it was located in Penicuik and agreed to go out and see it . Got there, met the guy he brought the case out , he was a joiner and had made the case himself, he wanted £200.00 for it , I had the cash ready as I had a job then not a paper round. I asked him if he bought the guitar from SSEB in 1972 and he said he did. I like to think that it was the same guitar that I saw as a schoolboy that eventually made it's way to me.

Fire_At_The_Disco

My wife got me an acoustic guitar as a late Christmas pressy as I gave up the smokes and am a good boy🙄

Thing is I’m tone deaf, rotten and don’t know where to start. I’ve looked at teaching apps (fender play is £7.99 a month) dunno If this route is best or YouTube? Don’t really want the hassle of regimental 1 to 1 lessons as I would just like to dip in and out as I could. Any help or pointers appreciated. 

43 minutes ago, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

My wife got me an acoustic guitar as a late Christmas pressy as I gave up the smokes and am a good boy🙄

Thing is I’m tone deaf, rotten and don’t know where to start. I’ve looked at teaching apps (fender play is £7.99 a month) dunno If this route is best or YouTube? Don’t really want the hassle of regimental 1 to 1 lessons as I would just like to dip in and out as I could. Any help or pointers appreciated. 

Check out Andy Guitar on you tube.

45 minutes ago, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

I learned the guitar ( many many moons ago) just chord stuff as drums is my thing. Never took a lesson just bought a book, think it was songs with 3 chords or something like that. Thing is pick a really easy song ( mine was Sloop John b ) it had 2 chords A and D maybe 3 ( can't remember) , just kept repeating it until I got comfortable in changing chords. Then you can gradually progress, keep at it don't give up it will come. Good Luck....🎸🎸

N Lincs Jambo
1 hour ago, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

There are quite a few really good online guitar tutors with lots of free content. I've used justinguitar.com for well over a decade now and he's excellent. Recently discovered Mike Pachelli who is fabulous if you like the Beatles. In terms of sensing you've achieved something try finding a lesson on a simple sounding acoustic song that you like anyway and learn that. Then find another two or three that bring in different chords and quite soon you'll be able to play a few songs fairly well. It does take practice though and the biggest bit of advice is don't give up.

Fire_At_The_Disco
2 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

There are quite a few really good online guitar tutors with lots of free content. I've used justinguitar.com for well over a decade now and he's excellent. Recently discovered Mike Pachelli who is fabulous if you like the Beatles. In terms of sensing you've achieved something try finding a lesson on a simple sounding acoustic song that you like anyway and learn that. Then find another two or three that bring in different chords and quite soon you'll be able to play a few songs fairly well. It does take practice though and the biggest bit of advice is don't give up.

Thanks N Links I’ll give them a look, no I won’t give up as I’m on a mission to learn and prove my son wrong who says I’ve no chance 😆

Fire_At_The_Disco
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The Fender app is really good. There's often 3 month trials.

+1 for Andy Guitar on YouTube as well.

I can only see 7 days free but if I pay a year up front I can get 50% off. 

Greedy Jambo

I had 3 months free trial of the fender app. I used it it once. 

I think the best thing to do is to get lessons from a professional if you really want to get good. 

They're not cheap though. 

It's cheaper learning to drive!

Edited by Greedy Jambo

Greedy Jambo
31 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Aye.

How's it going, weirdo stalker?

How's the guitar playing going?

Edited by Greedy Jambo

11 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Great guitarist. So much feel and control. You should check out the video on YouTube of him doing a sound check. He looks like death warmed up, then he puts the guitar on…

14 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

How's it going, weirdo stalker?

How's the guitar playing going?

Doing great thanks.

I haven't played the guitar since school.

Flamenco was my forte.

On 05/01/2022 at 15:30, hmfc_liam06 said:

Haha nice one. Hope you enjoy it when it comes.

She arrived today. Wow, the sound is amazing. The guitar is set up really well, action nice and low with no buzz whatsoever. The only thing it needs is me to play as good as I think play.

On 08/01/2022 at 00:51, Tazio said:

Great guitarist. So much feel and control. You should check out the video on YouTube of him doing a sound check. He looks like death warmed up, then he puts the guitar on…

Srv was unreal. I don't know how he breaks a string here because his gauge is like .13 to .60 and he's tuned dowm to Eb but still manages to rip a solo with 5 strings then doesn't miss a beat while singing and changing guitar. 

10 hours ago, superjack said:

She arrived today. Wow, the sound is amazing. The guitar is set up really well, action nice and low with no buzz whatsoever. The only thing it needs is me to play as good as I think play.

Superb mate, they're really impressive bits of kit for the money aren't they?

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Superb mate, they're really impressive bits of kit for the money aren't they?

I know. That sort of feel from a guitar I wouldn't have expected for that price.

These Harley Benton guitars certainly look the part. At the prices they are at though the components aren’t going to be anywhere near the best.  However, a guitar is majorly about how it plays and sounds so if folk are happy with them it doesn’t matter. 

• 3 weeks later...

Really getting back into it now since getting my new guitar, what a difference upgrading the kit has done for both my enthusiasm and and playing. Been working on some iron maiden (the trooper). One problem, I do t remember going through so many plectrums when I played regularly in my teens.

What type of plectrum would folks recommend that actually last?

2 hours ago, superjack said:

Really getting back into it now since getting my new guitar, what a difference upgrading the kit has done for both my enthusiasm and and playing. Been working on some iron maiden (the trooper). One problem, I do t remember going through so many plectrums when I played regularly in my teens.

Also just donned on me, what would be the ideal gauge of strings as well?

23 hours ago, superjack said:

You can get Plectrums all different thicknesses best to just try a few out to find what your comfortable with , I use any to be honest just whatever I I’ve got at hand when playing electric but if I’m playing a strumming type song on the acoustic without picking any notes I tend to use a soft pleck. The only time a wreck them is when I’m running the pleck up or down the strings for rock stuff.

20 hours ago, superjack said:

Also just donned on me, what would be the ideal gauge of strings as well?

All depends on what  you prefer I use 9 - 42 as they are great for bending the notes but if you want a heavy type sound maybe try 10-46 but it’s personal preference , good luck with your playing bud 🤟

39 minutes ago, One five said:

You can get Plectrums all different thicknesses best to just try a few out to find what your comfortable with , I use any to be honest just whatever I I’ve got at hand when playing electric but if I’m playing a strumming type song on the acoustic without picking any notes I tend to use a soft pleck. The only time a wreck them is when I’m running the pleck up or down the strings for rock stuff.

All depends on what  you prefer I use 9 - 42 as they are great for bending the notes but if you want a heavy type sound maybe try 10-46 but it’s personal preference , good luck with your playing bud 🤟

Cheers for that 1 5. It's amazing how the little things like a small piece of plastic can make a difference.

Sussed out the string gauge on my toy, 10-46 and I'm actually quite happy with that.

As I'm just jamming myself, now looking at trying a looper, really loving the experimenting.

Also need to dedicate more time to working on lead playing. Think the looper would help as I can start off with some the rhythm then add on bits of lead as I get more confident.

Really annoyed with myself that I stopped when I was 21, for some reason I just got bored. Found as long as I keep trying to learn, the buzz is there every time I pick up the guitar.

I used to use Sharkfin plectrums but they’ve become tricky to find so I now use the Jim Dunlop Tortex 0.5mm sharkfin shaped ones. I find them easier to hold than regular shaped ones. And that thickness works for acoustic and electric for the way I play. 

6 minutes ago, superjack said:

Cheers for that 1 5. It's amazing how the little things like a small piece of plastic can make a difference.

Sussed out the string gauge on my toy, 10-46 and I'm actually quite happy with that.

As I'm just jamming myself, now looking at trying a looper, really loving the experimenting.

Also need to dedicate more time to working on lead playing. Think the looper would help as I can start off with some the rhythm then add on bits of lead as I get more confident.

Really annoyed with myself that I stopped when I was 21, for some reason I just got bored. Found as long as I keep trying to learn, the buzz is there every time I pick up the guitar.

A looper will definitely improve you, I’ve also a digitech Trio plus it’s a pedal to make you’re own backing tracks with bass and drums, check it out it might be what your after mate👍

39 minutes ago, superjack said:

For strings it also depends on the scale length of the guitar neck. They’re not all the same length. I use 9.5s on my strats and 10s on my Les Paul as they then feel similar to play, esicislly for bending.  Ultimately though,  play with what feels best for you and your playing style. 

11 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

For strings it also depends on the scale length of the guitar neck. They’re not all the same length. I use 9.5s on my strats and 10s on my Les Paul as they then feel similar to play, esicislly for bending.  Ultimately though,  play with what feels best for you and your playing style. 

I’ve got 9s on my strat as well and also on my les Paul I-replaced the 10’s for my style, but you are correct Dave  they have different necks.