Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• One five

• superjack

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, superjack said:

Just been having a good look at the Thomann website, I think I know where I'm buying from now. 

I have 1 question though, what is the shape of guitar I should should my favourite guitar player was always Angus Young, so I've always fancied an SG. However, it may not be suited to what I like to play.

I play a mix of metal and rock, oasis being my favourite band to play along with, as well as plenty of other music that is similar. Would a hollow body guitar sound better for this or a solid body 1? I do love to switch between a soft and heavy distorted sound.

Had a look at that website and ended up buying a HB bass guitar 😅

14 hours ago, superjack said:

Thanks for that. There's something about how cool a fender looks though, even though I know it isn't the type for me.

If you really like the Fender you can get humbucker pups for strats , expensive though , I’ve got got Dave gilmour active pups on my Fender I love them.

24 minutes ago, One five said:

If you really like the Fender you can get humbucker pups for strats , expensive though , I’ve got got Dave gilmour active pups on my Fender I love them.

Or a Tele with the Seth Lover wide range pickups. A lot of people don’t realise as well as the Fender pickups he designed the PAF pickups for Gibson. 
I’ve modded my Tele so it has the original bridge pick up and a Epiphone humbucker at the neck. Tele twang at the bridge and warm blues and jazz at the neck. Or both together if you want a proper racket. My Les Paul Jr came with the humbucker that is now in the Tele but now has a P90 in it to sound more authentic. Though now I’m wondering how the Tele would sound with a P90 at the neck position. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Or a Tele with the Seth Lover wide range pickups. A lot of people don’t realise as well as the Fender pickups he designed the PAF pickups for Gibson. 
I’ve modded my Tele so it has the original bridge pick up and a Epiphone humbucker at the neck. Tele twang at the bridge and warm blues and jazz at the neck. Or both together if you want a proper racket. My Les Paul Jr came with the humbucker that is now in the Tele but now has a P90 in it to sound more authentic. Though now I’m wondering how the Tele would sound with a P90 at the neck position. 

I’ve never played a Tele seriously but the singer/ guitarist I play with swears by them he wont play anything else lol it does sound amazing playing through his Fender Amp. P90’s if I remember is big on blues players, are they Gibson’s pups? I put a couple of EMG ‘s on an old Les Paul I had years ago don’t think they where that expensive but the guitar sounded great a lot better than the Paul studio I’ve got now.

20 minutes ago, One five said:

I’ve never played a Tele seriously but the singer/ guitarist I play with swears by them he wont play anything else lol it does sound amazing playing through his Fender Amp. P90’s if I remember is big on blues players, are they Gibson’s pups? I put a couple of EMG ‘s on an old Les Paul I had years ago don’t think they where that expensive but the guitar sounded great a lot better than the Paul studio I’ve got now.

P90 was the big fat Gibson single coil before they got humbuckers. Single coil but much thicker sounding than Fender single coils. And sound great through a good cranked up valve. Les Pauls and Gibson semi acoustics from the early to mid 50’s had them. And they continued well into the 60’s as an option. Think Johnny Thunders or Keith Richard’s Les Paul Jr sound. 

16 minutes ago, Tazio said:

P90 was the big fat Gibson single coil before they got humbuckers. Single coil but much thicker sounding than Fender single coils. And sound great through a good cranked up valve. Les Pauls and Gibson semi acoustics from the early to mid 50’s had them. And they continued well into the 60’s as an option. Think Johnny Thunders or Keith Richard’s Les Paul Jr sound. 

You can get custom Tele style p90's ...

https://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/telecaster-sized-p90-bridge-neck-pickup-set.html

16 minutes ago, Tazio said:

A cranked up valve …. I’m getting exited now 👍

38 minutes ago, hmfc_steve said:

A bit of howking about with a Dremel and a chisel and a new pick guard did the trick to get the humbucker in. And a lot of companies make P90 clones that are the same fit as a humbucker. Though the link you posted is great for the less bold customiser (or a guitar too expensive to butcher) 

A single P90 on the Gibson LP Junior does the job, likesay. 

That's a high end guitar though, i'm not sure if i should go down the Harley Benton route with that one. 

14 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

A single P90 on the Gibson LP Junior does the job, likesay. 

That's a high end guitar though, i'm not sure if i should go down the Harley Benton route with that one. 

The original LP Jr was a cheap slab of wood with the cheapest pick up they had on it. Though originals go for silly money now. Harley Benton do a pretty good looking copy of the double cut version. Better than the Epiphone one I bought that was a nightmare to set up. And this one has a proper dog eared P90 on it. 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_dc_junior_tv_yellow.htm?ref=prod_variations_379102_2

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The original LP Jr was a cheap slab of wood with the cheapest pick up they had on it. Though originals go for silly money now. Harley Benton do a pretty good looking copy of the double cut version. Better than the Epiphone one I bought that was a nightmare to set up. And this one has a proper dog eared P90 on it. 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_dc_junior_tv_yellow.htm?ref=prod_variations_379102_2

:levein_interesting: I'll take a look. 

Think i want something with a maple fingerboard, but with a humbucker or p90 in it. 

Maybe a tele. (don't want a normal twangy tele)

Link me up. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

That’s the 1970’s version with the big Strat style headstock. Major Keith Richards vibes to that one. 

Aye, the headstock is a bit ugly like. 

23 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Too many to choose from, man. 😂

I’m still like a kid in a candy shop when I’m in a guitar shop I should have grown out of by now 😂

1 minute ago, One five said:

I’m still like a kid in a candy shop when I’m in a guitar shop I should have grown out of by now 😂

I remember years ago after saving for ages I had the cash for a REAL Fender. I thought I’d look in a few places to find the exact one I wanted. I found it in Varsity up the Bridges. So in I wandered with the hard cash in my inside pocket zipped up and ready to be unzipped. Only for the salesman to tell me I wasn’t allowed to handle the guitar before buying it! Needless to say my cash went elsewhere and I’ve never been into that shop since. 

9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I remember years ago after saving for ages I had the cash for a REAL Fender. I thought I’d look in a few places to find the exact one I wanted. I found it in Varsity up the Bridges. So in I wandered with the hard cash in my inside pocket zipped up and ready to be unzipped. Only for the salesman to tell me I wasn’t allowed to handle the guitar before buying it! Needless to say my cash went elsewhere and I’ve never been into that shop since. 

I hate when they do that, I tried to pick up a Martin i think it was in red dog and the guy was not happy he said you have to ask a salesman before you can touch it pissed me off big time .

7 minutes ago, One five said:

I hate when they do that, I tried to pick up a Martin i think it was in red dog and the guy was not happy he said you have to ask a salesman before you can touch it pissed me off big time .

In the late 80s, my grandparents stayed in a flat on the High Street, above the white horse bar. There was a music shop around the corner, on St Mary's Street I think. They were sound in there, I was able to play any guitar in the shop. They knew I wasn't looking to buy 1, but they let still let me play.

2 minutes ago, superjack said:

In the late 80s, my grandparents stayed in a flat on the High Street, above the white horse bar. There was a music shop around the corner, on St Mary's Street I think. They were sound in there, I was able to play any guitar in the shop. They knew I wasn't looking to buy 1, but they let still let me play.

I remember going into that shop with a guy I was working with on a tour. For some reason one of the guys in the shop recognised him and remembered he was guitar tech for The Edge. They were virtually chucking top of the line guitars at us to try. This was just after Paul Reed Smith guitars became available over here and I was desperate to try one. No problem to them, instantly handed the most expensive one in the shop. 

19 minutes ago, superjack said:

I remember that shop I bought a cheap keyboard and used to get odds and ended cables etc yeah they were good.

I don't really NEED a new guitar, but my Crypto investment has went up so much that i feel like chucking money about. 

Up another £100 today, if it goes up another 200 i'll pull the trigger.

FREE GUITAR

south morocco

Good thread, Regarding Thomann. I’ve bought a few items from them over the years including guitars, double basses, other things and their product and customer service are brilliant. Would recommend them anytime. 

south morocco
21 hours ago, One five said:

I remember that shop I bought a cheap keyboard and used to get odds and ended cables etc yeah they were good.

Sound control 

12 minutes ago, superjack said:

Thanks to everyone who recommended a Harley Benton guitar on this thread, I’ve just ordered this baby.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_l1000_vb_progressive_line.htm

Nice! Looks great.

This is the bass I ended up with thanks to the Thomann/Harley Benton recommendations on the thread.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbb1975_na.htm

30 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Active pickups so invest in a charger and a couple of rechargeable PP3 batteries. 

I didn’t realise what active pick ups actually are. Do you know How long the batteries usually last for between charges? 

8 minutes ago, superjack said:

I didn’t realise what active pick ups actually are. Do you know How long the batteries usually last for between charges? 

They normally last for ages but always run out at the most inconvenient moment. 

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

They normally last for ages but always run out at the most inconvenient moment. 

How much of a difference to the sound donthay actually make? As I only jam on my own in the house, are they worth the hassle?

Just now, superjack said:

How much of a difference to the sound donthay actually make? As I only jam on my own in the house, are they worth the hassle?

Some people swear by them. Very popular on metal type guitars as they can be more aggressive in the level they put out. Won’t be a problem in the house as you won’t be turned up loud on your amp anyway I’d imagine. They are a lot clearer at low volumes as well. 

9 hours ago, superjack said:

Ages mate I don’t change mine for at least 6 month and even then there is life still in the battery.

12 hours ago, superjack said:

Thanks to everyone who recommended a Harley Benton guitar on this thread, I’ve just ordered this baby.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_l1000_vb_progressive_line.htm

Looks great. Remember and get it set up properly ( by a guitar tech) it will make a huge difference to the feel and playability of the guitar.

3 hours ago, micole said:

Looks great. Remember and get it set up properly ( by a guitar tech) it will make a huge difference to the feel and playability of the guitar.

Don't think we have 1 up here, if it's worth it though I can bring the guitar down next time I'm at my mothers. What sort of cost is there for the service?

On 24/12/2021 at 06:15, hmfc_liam06 said:

Had a look at that website and ended up buying a HB bass guitar 😅

What was the final price with tax/import etc. I really fancy one of their Rickenbacker copies.

I’m two thirds of the way into having enough money for a Fender Jazz American Professional II

5 hours ago, superjack said:

Don't think we have 1 up here, if it's worth it though I can bring the guitar down next time I'm at my mothers. What sort of cost is there for the service?

Any reputable guitar shop should be able to help you.

3 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

What was the final price with tax/import etc. I really fancy one of their Rickenbacker copies.

I’m two thirds of the way into having enough money for a Fender Jazz American Professional II

There wasn’t any import taxes. It was £165 but I bought a few other bits and bobs. Free delivery over £150.