Wage cut for players and staff (Statement on 24/4)

Bunny Munro

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Tom English withdrew previous criticism he made saying Ann Budge is being fair and reasonable.

And it's coming at other clubs. 

Tom usually gives a fair reflection of what's happening.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• soonbe110

• Last Laff

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Tom English withdrew previous criticism he made saying Ann Budge is being fair and reasonable.

Yeah, then that's when Stewart took offence and started getting bitchy about the cuts.  Toms in the know and Stewart is a cast out.  He dosn't like it.  He was being shown up and instead of just agreeing to withdraw his statement about budge he went into arsehole overdrive.

Edited by HMFC01

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

As an expert you would think he would know the basic facts.

Unless he doesn't care. 

He was just caught out with the wring info.......  Embarrassing. But I still enjoy his sometimes ridiculous contributions.....  makes you laugh.....

13 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Unless he has people at Hearts telling him what is happening.

No one likes him there either. 

8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Tom English is a real man and admitted he was wrong .😍

Michael Stewart still is not getting it . If you are employed by Hearts , on say £10 an hour it will not drop to £5 it will drop to the living wage which is £8.72 on 1st April, not great but not a 50% drop in the case of the lower paid. He seems to believe it's only players that are employed by the club. That is how i took it listening to him.

2 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

I worry about his mental health

Yeah I was thinking that.  Maybe he needs a wee arm around him, see if he's ok.

3 minutes ago, cubanjambo said:

Michael Stewart still is not getting it . If you are employed by Hearts , on say £10 an hour it will not drop to £5 it will drop to the living wage which is £8.72 on 1st April, not great but not a 50% drop in the case of the lower paid. He seems to believe it's only players that are employed by the club. That is how i took it listening to him.

Not knowing Hearts pay the living wage is incredible.

That is very out of touch. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Footballfirst

I generally don’t mid listening to Michael Stewart on Sportsound, but today he is having difficulty understanding that Hearts 50% wage gut proposal is not across the board and involves non playing staff too.

e.g. A 16/17 year old full time youth player on £300 a week will not have to take any cut.

An adult member of office staff earning £24k per annum will go down to the Living wage figure of just over £18k, a cut of no more than 25% (if they continue working). If they are furloughed, then the government will pay 80% of their wages, so over £19k.

It is only when your earnings are over £36k (£700 a week) would you potentially be hit with the full 50% cut. Again, if players contracts could be suspended and affected players were furloughed then the government’s scheme might offer a better return.

Edited by Footballfirst

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

I think the main thing he said last week was Hearts were relying on the 

Not knowing Hearts pay the living wage is incredible.

That is very out of touch. 

Surely if you are going into a discussion like that you would arm yourself with the basic facts - not just going in to have a dig at the Club and leave yourself open to ridicule. I wonder if he realises how much a balloon he is.

7 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I generally don’t mid listening to Michael Stewart on Sportsound, but today he is having difficulty understanding that Hearts 50% wage gut proposal is not across the board and involves non playing staff too.

e.g. A 16/17 year old full time youth player on £300 a week will not have to take any cut.

An adult member of office staff earning £24k per annum will go down to the Living wage figure of just over £18k, a cut of no more than 25% (if they continue working). If they are furloughed, then the government will pay 80% of their wages, so over £19k.

It is only when your earnings are over £36k (£700 a week) would you potentially be hit with the full 50% cut. Again, if players contracts could be suspended and affected players were furloughed then the government’s scheme might offer a better return.

Well described, it's getting through the next 6 months....

I'm gobsmacked Stewart doesn't have it in his head Hearts pay the living wage.

Your average Celtic fan knows Hearts pay the living wage. 

Michael Stewart knows that in every room there’s usually one areshole he just doesn’t realise that it’s always him🥴

Pasquale for King
41 minutes ago, cubanjambo said:

That’s the minimum wage, the UK government call it the living  wage to confuse matters. The actual living wage is £9:30 an hour but may well go up soon, I think that’s the basic that Hearts pay not the minimum.

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

That’s the minimum wage, the UK government call it the living  wage to confuse matters. The actual living wage is £9:30 an hour but may well go up soon, I think that’s the basic that Hearts pay not the minimum.

My mistake, that is what i was informed was the living wage. Whatever the living wage is, that is what Hearts pay. Thanks for the correction 👍. Enforces my argument that the lower paid at Tynecastle will be less penalised if at all

East Lothian Jambo
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

English ragdolling Stewart live on air just now!

Giving him facts he doesn't want to hear. 😂 

The Michael Stewart who reveals that SAF told him in his Man United days that he was too intelligent for his own good. There is no substance to him when you take a look or listen to him 

English bucks the trend on BBC Sportsound in as much as he is coherent and has journalistic ability. He's made a ***** of Michael Stewart on occasion previously.  Stewart clearly hasn't learned the fights to pick.  English will school him every day of the week  

Rangers are the biggest story here yet Budge is getting it from all sides. She has made mistakes but who hasn't 

Edited by East Lothian Jambo

11 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

To feel the full effects of a 50% cut you'd have to look at the take home pay. There would be a tax and NI saving. 

On tax alone someone on £36k would (in general) pay £1100 leaving a take home pay of £16900 if on 1/2 pay

while

if they received full pay it would be £31300 net.

That is a drop of £14400 on £36k - not £18k.

The loss would be even less when one factors in Nat Ins and (possibly) some other deductions which would reduce  as pay does.

132goals1958
5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

To feel the full effects of a 50% cut you'd have to look at the take home pay. There would be a tax and NI saving. 

On tax alone someone on £36k would (in general) pay £1100 leaving a take home pay of £16900 if on 1/2 pay

while

The loss would be even less when one factors in Nat Ins and (possibly) some other deductions which would reduce  as pay does.

The progressive nature of taxation. 

8 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

while

Good point. 

To be fair someone made that point on radio the other day. 

Probably a few people will get more than they thought. 

Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, cubanjambo said:

My mistake, that is what i was informed was the living wage. Whatever the living wage is, that is what Hearts pay. Thanks for the correction 👍. Enforces my argument that the lower paid at Tynecastle will be less penalised if at all

No problem, that’s why they call it that as people were campaigning for the real living wage. 

ginger jambo98
28 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

while

Worth remembering that the suggested cut is for 5 months. That would mean that someone on £36k per annum would receive £21k at full pay for 7 months and £7.5k instead of £15k during the reduction 5 month period. They would therefore receive £28.5k instead of £36k.

Diadora Van Basten

Well said Gary Locke good to see someone in the media sticking up for the club and his arguments are just common sense.

7 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Juventus the latest club to announce wage cuts, only for players and coaches and not stated by how much.

Looks like 4 months wages 

IMG_20200328_185216.jpg

In Rugby, Ealing 2nd in the English Championship and 18 points behind Newcastle Falcons have intimated they will challenge legally if Falcons are awarded the Championship and promoted to the Premiership.

Falcons have 6 games to play, Ealing 7 with 4 points win and a bonus point.

In the Premiership, Bath players are the first to intimate that they will challenge the 25% pay cut offered by all Premiership clubs apart from Exeter who have intimated full pay.

41 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Looks like 4 months wages 

IMG_20200328_185216.jpg

Won't be long until our 'media friends' raise merry hell about this....I mean they will....won't they ?

Hagar the Horrible

Once this pandemic has calmed down Football...all sporting events, indeed large gatherings will be the last thing to return to normality.  So I can only see the Scottish Cup being played to a conclusion?

There will be no time left to resume the league, so either they call it null and void, or let the league stand as its is.  In which case the fallout from that will be greater than gifting Celtic (No shame) a title they have not won?

As for us being relegated,  There will be so many clubs going into admin and most of those wont survive, so that map will look very different by august.   The SFA/SPFL/UEFA will need to make a decision long before then, when they state If not by this date then this will happen...If...Then..Else  Statement?  I don't exclude us either but we are at least buyers waiting to happen, and I think AB having discovered the clause 12 in all players contracts, most clubs will end up laying off the entire squad to protect themselves,  so there will be a panic to offer contracts when the league resumes.  The 50% cut now will save non playing staff jobs, but there will be tough decisions required getting duds and sadly crocks off the books, when this does drag on.

Clubs can buy time if they just write off the league and start selling season tickets for next year, even if its an extended league,  It not about Celtic's false claim on a title its not even about us staving off relegation which we might deserve.  Its about a product that is sellable next year, with whats left of the clubs able to continue.... Celtic have huge reserves but that money wont last long paying a huge squad full pay.     Clubs long term will have to learn and even more so players wont get contracts on huge wages, clubs will have to build up cash reserves if this happens again.  Players need to wake up and smell the coffee, your salaries will be 50% ad infinitem anyway.  Football is about to get a forced reboot  (Kill -9)

4 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Juventus the latest club to announce wage cuts, only for players and coaches and not stated by how much.

So how come Juventus don’t have a years worth of cash in the bank etc etc etc

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Jim Panzee said:

I didn't think someone like Michael Stewart and other journalists could get any worse, but they've managed it with their very hasty, ill-informed, hyperbolic coverage of the steps Hearts have been taking to, you know, ensure the club survives in a once in a lifetime global crisis no business has plans in place for.

Slow hand clap, lads, slow hand clap.

And has no-one in Stewart's (and the other journos - surprised by Alan Patullo getting some kicks in to be honest) circle reminded him which club under which owner was the first in Scotland to adopt a living wage to employees, and one of the first in Britain? That alone does kind of contradict this underlying narrative being built that Budge is some sort of opportunist seeking to profit from the crisis, and that she doesn't have the best interests of her employees at heart.

Meanwhile, Rangers will be allowed to quietly go bust in the background with virtually  no comment until Alex Thomson starts writing about it.

1 hour ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Once this pandemic has calmed down Football...all sporting events, indeed large gatherings will be the last thing to return to normality.  So I can only see the Scottish Cup being played to a conclusion?

There will be no time left to resume the league, so either they call it null and void, or let the league stand as its is.  In which case the fallout from that will be greater than gifting Celtic (No shame) a title they have not won?

As for us being relegated,  There will be so many clubs going into admin and most of those wont survive, so that map will look very different by august.   The SFA/SPFL/UEFA will need to make a decision long before then, when they state If not by this date then this will happen...If...Then..Else  Statement?  I don't exclude us either but we are at least buyers waiting to happen, and I think AB having discovered the clause 12 in all players contracts, most clubs will end up laying off the entire squad to protect themselves,  so there will be a panic to offer contracts when the league resumes.  The 50% cut now will save non playing staff jobs, but there will be tough decisions required getting duds and sadly crocks off the books, when this does drag on.

Clubs can buy time if they just write off the league and start selling season tickets for next year, even if its an extended league,  It not about Celtic's false claim on a title its not even about us staving off relegation which we might deserve.  Its about a product that is sellable next year, with whats left of the clubs able to continue.... Celtic have huge reserves but that money wont last long paying a huge squad full pay.     Clubs long term will have to learn and even more so players wont get contracts on huge wages, clubs will have to build up cash reserves if this happens again.  Players need to wake up and smell the coffee, your salaries will be 50% ad infinitem anyway.  Football is about to get a forced reboot  (Kill -9)

Yep I agree.

Tom English said today and has been for a while even Celtic in Scotland have to be able manage this and their reserves will get decimated.

I'm disappointed Hibs have cottoned on so early.  I was hoping it was going to take another 3 to 6 months of head in the sand before 'feck"

20 minutes ago, Rods said:

Firesale at Easter Road who would you take?

Boyle maybe.

I wouldn't trust any of them except Kamberi but I think his heart is set on Rangers at the moment.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

Now we'll see the difference between having an owner who genuinely supports the club and wants the best for it and someone who may turn out to be an opportunist with no real affection for the club and who might just want to get out with minimal losses.

jamboinglasgow

I just look at the deferred wages option and to me it is betting on this going to be a couple of months at best. Any money the clubs earn would be for what would have been for next season. So paying back those extra months is adding to the cost of what would be next season (which at best would mean 14 months of wages to be paid from 12 months of revenue.) 

To me clubs going for deferred wages are just pushing the boat further out rather than making a difficult decision. If it went further and some predicitions that its not till August that things can return then you are talking about 5 months of wages. Clubs would need to seriously cut back on player budget if they are working on deferred wages. I feel Hearts are the only ones in Scotland being realistic about the situation.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Rods said:

Firesale at Easter Road who would you take?

Boyle maybe.

Good question and he’s about the only one, maybe the confused GK?

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I just look at the deferred wages option and to me it is betting on this going to be a couple of months at best. Any money the clubs earn would be for what would have been for next season. So paying back those extra months is adding to the cost of what would be next season (which at best would mean 14 months of wages to be paid from 12 months of revenue.) 

To me clubs going for deferred wages are just pushing the boat further out rather than making a difficult decision. If it went further and some predicitions that its not till August that things can return then you are talking about 5 months of wages. Clubs would need to seriously cut back on player budget if they are working on deferred wages. I feel Hearts are the only ones in Scotland being realistic about the situation.

Absolutely.

Maybe trying not to offend the players so they won’t leave, whereas we are maybe not as attached to the guys who have us staring relegation in the face.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Jim Panzee said:

Badly run clearly 🙈😜🤪.

So good honest Scottish laddie Ross has had to have emergency talks with his players about cuts and deferrals were as big bad Hearts have....