Wage cut for players and staff (Statement on 24/4)

Bunny Munro

58 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

French clubs could be taking an unexpected financial hit.

From a journalist that covers French football:

French professional football will not receive TV rights for matches which no longer take place. Canal + and BeIn Sport will no longer pay the professional football league (LFP) the € 152,000,000 they would have paid on April 5, 2020.

Clubs, including PSG, have chosen to take advantage of the French government's widened social measures. They have placed all of their employees on partial or technical unemployment. Each club will pay 70% base salary to its employees, and receives a reimbursement from the State.

There's going to have to be a lot of sorting out to do. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• soonbe110

• Last Laff

20 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

EEN good substitute for toilet paper. 

No. Something like building works when they need extra filler.

You could block the drains with the Evening News.

Hungry hippo

Hibs are very fortunate in the timing of this given receiving the McGinn money fairly recently. The fact that they are still needing to defer wages says it all about the impact on all clubs.

All the nashing of teeth towards Hearts from the media is ridiculous. What about all the other clubs and cost cutting? Seems they are just making up stuff and regurgitating false stories every day. Let's ban them from the press box when football does start. DR, S*n and the BBC being the first then the EEN. All absolutely horrendous at reporting the facts. 

Deferrals are class..........if you have an end date and know for sure things are going to go back to being normal. In these circumstances, it’s a face saviour due to the hot water we have found ourselves in. 

TyphoonJambo
23 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Most of them aren't qualified to do anything else. 

The Spanish workers are getting "paid deffered leave" So, they are being paid whilst on lockdown but every day must eventually (currently by the end of the year) be worked for no pay. 

Imagine we used this system for our current bunch. The majority dont give a rats arse at the best of times but if we made them come back in, say September, to play for free! I guess it would be a bit similar to the game where that lazy twat Kingston strolled about uninterested. 

4 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

The Spanish workers are getting "paid deffered leave" So, they are being paid whilst on lockdown but every day must eventually (currently by the end of the year) be worked for no pay. 

Imagine we used this system for our current bunch. The majority dont give a rats arse at the best of times but if we made them come back in, say September, to play for free! I guess it would be a bit similar to the game where that lazy twat Kingston strolled about uninterested. 

Barcelona players now taking 70% cut.

When are the deferred payment due to be paid by or is it just whenever they get round to it.

Will it be in instalments or a lump sum and if they are so well run as is always implied why are the even suggesting deferrals.

What percentage are they being asked to defer and is it with immediate effect.

Are all the player happy with this decision after all they still have bills to pay like other people.

Surely this will just impact on any future signings because you wont  make up the shortfall in one season if this goes on as long as expected. 

Is Ron selling to Barnsley so he wont have to pay the deferred wages :)

Guest ToqueJambo

Hearts are ahead of the game and the next few weeks will prove that beyond doubt. By then most other clubs will be so deep in the shit the papers won't know which story to go with there will be so many.

We got the stick because Budge was clear and decisive when no-one else was, so she got all the column inches that go along with that. There was literally nothing else football related to write or talk about. Once again, she's punished for trying to be transparent. Hearts employees, unlike many around the country, know exactly where they stand and have done for a couple of weeks now.

There are only 5 very clear options I can see that all clubs will be looking at, with the overall aim of avoiding the last one:

1. You can keep paying players as normal, no-one is going to be able to do this no matter how some in Scottish football seem to be pretending they can

2. You can come out early and offer to pay them less, eg 50% or ask them to take a bigger cut if they can, like Hearts, Juventus and Barcelona have done, so the players have some clarity and can adjust their own budgets accordingly

3. You can sack them all, like what seems to have just happened in France, and let the government schemes pay up to a limit

4. You can defer wages, ie not pay them anything (struggling to see how this is better than taking a pay cut), which means not only do they not get any wages at all for an unknown period but they also can't access government money as they are still employed from what I understand. Then the club will be paying players double wages for maybe 6 months the following season. It's absolutely the worst, most stupid option for everyone concerned.

5. You can shut the whole club down and go into admin

Hearts 50% offer may well turn out to be the best deal any footballers in Scotland get offered. I'm doubtful though we'll even be able to pay that for a a sustained period.

Speaking as someone who's seen joint household income dropped by 75% overnight for the forseeable future, footballers can just suck it up like everyone else. As fans we will see football again, but it might be much lower paid players kicking the ball around, at least for a couple of seasons, which will be no bad thing. Like now, it'll be the clubs with the biggest fan bases who will be able to pay that little bit more to get the slightly better players, so we will be fine if we can survive this while thing - which is Budge's main aim (rightly so given how hard fans have fought to keep the club alive).

Paint the town maroon

It will be interesting to see who has the most effective strategy.

We have used a sledge hammer but desperate needs and all that. I am personally pleased AB had been decisive as we can see very little leadership across the Scottish game. My gripe is the lower paid and non playing staff, not withstanding the living wage point made several times, if I was say the office manager on £40k and was told I would now be on £20k I would be screwed. Hopefully AB is tidying up on this detail and our snitch who goes to the sun is found out.

I will withhold criticism of Hibs approach just now. If they can pull it off then they will have managed this by not throwing staff under the bus. What they have done is more gradual and collaborative but less impactful. Selling season tickets now is a good idea though and we should be doing the same despite what league we might be in. 

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

How would anyone know how much cash reserves any club has?  I suspect they are going by the last accounts of each club and in our case the last accounts were to 30/06/19(?).  That's 9 months ago and a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then.

Not doubting what you say. I was just making a point about how much they were reported to have in reserve I found the chart which I have posted below.

On 18/03/2020 at 19:23, IveSeenTheLight said:

This was posted on an Aberdeen forum.

i dismissed it as pish but maybe it has merits

5EEBB3B1-F1C0-482F-8F8E-374BCBE58A87.thumb.jpeg.00a82dfed8059605358a87a09c1cca75.jpeg

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Effectively we are in close season. Journalists, loose term,  kicking about the house bored,  looking for any shit to fling and happy to blame it on the Kevin Harper's of the world,  who just don't have a clue 

2 hours ago, Finlay James said:

I read this earlier and had to Google who he is.  Don't remember him playing against us at all.

He was a product of Hutchieson Vale and very quick.

2 hours ago, Finlay James said:

I read this earlier and had to Google who he is.  Don't remember him playing against us at all.

He wasn't that good to be honest.

Average player at best

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Paint the town maroon said:

It will be interesting to see who has the most effective strategy.

We have used a sledge hammer but desperate needs and all that. I am personally pleased AB had been decisive as we can see very little leadership across the Scottish game. My gripe is the lower paid and non playing staff, not withstanding the living wage point made several times, if I was say the office manager on £40k and was told I would now be on £20k I would be screwed. Hopefully AB is tidying up on this detail and our snitch who goes to the sun is found out.

I will withhold criticism of Hibs approach just now. If they can pull it off then they will have managed this by not throwing staff under the bus. What they have done is more gradual and collaborative but less impactful. Selling season tickets now is a good idea though and we should be doing the same despite what league we might be in. 

Arguably we've used a scalpel. In a month, 50% of your wages will look very attractive to many footballers. Even Barcelona's have taken 70% pay cuts.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Depends if the hardcore could afford it,  given the current circumstances. 

I think there will have to be a lot of creative solutions around ticket prices and STs. Payment plans for example. Football may actually become affordable to watch again for the average person. Assuming wages don't return to high levels very quickly for most clubs, it should be possible for clubs to lower prices if needed.

Wonder If Kevin Harper and Tam McManus will get consultancy work with UEFA during this crisis. Seem pretty clued up on how clubs should organises finances in a crisis. Good their modesty kept them from boasting about their CFA qualification until now. 

I’m really surprised there haven’t been any teams put into administration yet. 
Livingston are always a bill or two away from trouble, and you do wonder how they can keep the lights on with no money coming in. 

Are Sky paying up as normal? There must be (quite) a few English teams (especially in the championship)  who are right on the edge of bankruptcy. 

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, Mister Dee said:

I’m really surprised there haven’t been any teams put into administration yet. 
Livingston are always a bill or two away from trouble, and you do wonder how they can keep the lights on with no money coming in. 

Are Sky paying up as normal? There must be (quite) a few English teams (especially in the championship)  who are right on the edge of bankruptcy. 

The problem is how to pay wages with nothing coming in. Without wages and with none of the usual operating expenses, I assume clubs can just turn off the lights and shut the doors for a few months like many businesses have until things start up again and stay alive that way. Clubs with large debts and mortgages etc will need to go cap in hand to the bank or their fanbase.

39 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Not doubting what you say. I was just making a point about how much they were reported to have in reserve I found the chart which I have posted below.

Thanks Davy.

Personally I'd take it with a pinch of salt as generally these matters are commercially sensitive - a bit like a poker player showing his opponent his hand.

Footballfirst

Newcastle Utd has furloughed most of their staff.

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley has taken the decision to place the majority of his work force on furlough leave.

Staff are believed to have been informed via an email from Lee Charnley on Monday morning as the UK got ready for week two of lockdown caused by the virus pandemic.

Staff were pointed in the direction of the governments Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme which gives workers 80% of their wages back up to a maximum of £2,500 per month.

It is understood that drastic move by Ashley includes a number of Academy staff and members of the club's scouting department as well as the club's Foundation charity. The move does not include players and first team coaches.

Newcastle chiefs are understood to have told staff that the decision was to safeguard the club's future.

The news comes as United were linked with a £340million takeover with Saudia Arabia's Public Investment Group.

Last night the club issued a "no comment" status while reaction from the Premier League - who were reportedly approached by the Middle East group is still awaited.

Edited by Footballfirst

41 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Hearts are ahead of the game and the next few weeks will prove that beyond doubt. By then most other clubs will be so deep in the shit the papers won't know which story to go with there will be so many.

We got the stick because Budge was clear and decisive when no-one else was, so she got all the column inches that go along with that. There was literally nothing else football related to write or talk about. Once again, she's punished for trying to be transparent. Hearts employees, unlike many around the country, know exactly where they stand and have done for a couple of weeks now.

There are only 5 very clear options I can see that all clubs will be looking at, with the overall aim of avoiding the last one:

1. You can keep paying players as normal, no-one is going to be able to do this no matter how some in Scottish football seem to be pretending they can

2. You can come out early and offer to pay them less, eg 50% or ask them to take a bigger cut if they can, like Hearts, Juventus and Barcelona have done, so the players have some clarity and can adjust their own budgets accordingly

3. You can sack them all, like what seems to have just happened in France, and let the government schemes pay up to a limit

4. You can defer wages, ie not pay them anything (struggling to see how this is better than taking a pay cut), which means not only do they not get any wages at all for an unknown period but they also can't access government money as they are still employed from what I understand. Then the club will be paying players double wages for maybe 6 months the following season. It's absolutely the worst, most stupid option for everyone concerned.

Hearts 50% offer may well turn out to be the best deal any footballers in Scotland get offered. I'm doubtful though we'll even be able to pay that for a a sustained period.

Speaking as someone who's seen joint household income dropped by 75% overnight for the forseeable future, footballers can just suck it up like everyone else. As fans we will see football again, but it might be much lower paid players kicking the ball around, at least for a couple of seasons, which will be no bad thing. Like now, it'll be the clubs with the biggest fan bases who will be able to pay that little bit more to get the slightly better players, so we will be fine if we can survive this while thing - which is Budge's main aim (rightly so given how hard fans have fought to keep the club alive).

Re points 2 and 4 - wouldn't it be possible to defer half the wages, ie pay the players half their money now and then pay them the rest further down the line? Granted you'd still have to budget for that but you'd be paying the total out over a longer period.

18 minutes ago, S Form said:

Re points 2 and 4 - wouldn't it be possible to defer half the wages, ie pay the players half their money now and then pay them the rest further down the line? Granted you'd still have to budget for that but you'd be paying the total out over a longer period.

If this season is cancelled where is the money coming from to pay the deferred amount ? Next seasons budget before you’ve kicked a ball. Doesn’t make financial sense. What about players who are out of contract ? How will they get there money ? 

Deferring is only leaving the problems for a later date imo.  

Edited by Dazo

The above chart shows the cash for Hibs as at 30th June 2018. At that stage they had short term creditors of just over £7million and long term creditors of just under £2.9 million. They got money from the sale of McGinn in July 2018.  

Malinga the Swinga

If clubs start using 2020/2021 season ticket money now, then come next February/March time, there must be at danger that they will have run out of cash and will struggle to complete season. Deferring wages only means you put problem out of sight for a few months, it doesn't resolve any problem whatsoever.

Unless you are mega wealthy with benefactor such as Qatar Or UAE, hard to see how wage cuts aren't the only viable solution.

Guest ToqueJambo
13 minutes ago, S Form said:

The problem with deferring as others have pointed out is this could go on for quite a lot longer than many initially thought.

I would have thought any club that genuinely wants to look after their employees—which Hearts definitely is—will promise to see them right somehow if they can when things settle down. 

Hearts priority should be the younger, less well paid players and staff. Players on decent money (most of our first team squad), especially ones on short contracts, always know they are a few months of bad form away from being out of a club. They should have an emergency fund. What's happening now is a lot might be out of contract 2 or 3 months sooner than they thought. Hearts have offered a lifeboat and some stability to plan their next move. They'd be daft not to grab it. The only alternative seems to be £2,500/mth max through the government. It's not like other clubs will be lining up to sign them any time soon.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

If clubs start using 2020/2021 season ticket money now, then come next February/March time, there must be at danger that they will have run out of cash and will struggle to complete season. Deferring wages only means you put problem out of sight for a few months, it doesn't resolve any problem whatsoever.

Unless you are mega wealthy with benefactor such as Qatar Or UAE, hard to see how wage cuts aren't the only viable solution.

Correct.

IveSeenTheLight
59 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

You missed out an option which I thought some clubs were suggesting.

Before 4,  a deferment of the cut i.e. 50% wage deferment. They still get 50% as normal but will be paid the deferred amount at a later date.

this helps cashflow for the "non playing staff"

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Before 4,  a deferment of the cut i.e. 50% wage deferment. They still get 50% as normal but will be paid the deferred amount at a later date.

Unless Aberdeen and others believe they will make a profit over the first 12 months of normal trading, whenever that may be, how do they propose to cover the deferred outgoings. You have to remember, income isn't deferred, it just won't ever be seen so problem remains, in that you are short of funds.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Still deferring it for an unknown time and an uncertain future. How can Hearts, or any club, still pay a player on 6k for example £3000/wk and then afford to pay him 9k/wk after all this is over? 

When this is over, wages I assume will restart at a lower average level. So you could have a situation where a club is paying a player massive wages while other players are on a fraction of that amount. Seems unsustainable and risky.

Malinga the Swinga
6 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Idiots. They should have spoken with Kevin Harper. Albion Rovers manager would have explained where they were going wrong and what mistakes they were making.

I do hope that Barcelona statement was proof read by Michael Stewart as he needs to understand everything clearly, given he has the brain the size of a pea.

12 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

The problem with deferring as others have pointed out is this could go on for quite a lot longer than many initially thought.

I would have thought any club that genuinely wants to look after their employees—which Hearts definitely is—will promise to see them right somehow if they can when things settle down. 

Hearts priority should be the younger, less well paid players and staff. Players on decent money (most of our first team squad), especially ones on short contracts, always know they are a few months of bad form away from being out of a club. They should have an emergency fund. What's happening now is a lot might be out of contract 2 or 3 months sooner than they thought. Hearts have offered a lifeboat and some stability to plan their next move. They'd be daft not to grab it. The only alternative seems to be £2,500/mth max through the government. It's not like other clubs will be lining up to sign them any time soon.

Its a nice idea - just a shame that we just laid off the Academy staff without any discussion.  There are lots of "staff" on zero hours contracts.  They were just told they weren't needed for the next few months. 

30 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Thanks Davy.

Personally I'd take it with a pinch of salt as generally these matters are commercially sensitive - a bit like a poker player showing his opponent his hand.

👍

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, RonnieG said:

Its a nice idea - just a shame that we just laid off the Academy staff without any discussion.  There are lots of "staff" on zero hours contracts.  They were just told they weren't needed for the next few months. 

Like a lot of the world.

CloustonHMFC
20 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Where do you suggest clubs make up the difference? I find it hard to imagine any club will be in a position to be paying 1.5x a weekly wage when this is all over. Reducing costs and no deferring them is the only way forward. Let’s face it, IF the season gets completed it is going to be behind closed doors so a large part of the missing revenue will never be recouped and means deferring is unsustainable. 

Edited by CloustonHMFC

...a bit disco

Dundee FC season tickets on general sale from now.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Dundee FC season tickets on general sale from now.

Very quick out of the gate. Is that just them and Hibs from the bigger clubs so far? Both owned by Americans who are on the hook for a lot of money.

It does make sense to start getting in whatever income you can, but only if the club is going to use it wisely (ie not just to continue paying players their current wages).

4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Very quick out of the gate. Is that just them and Hibs from the bigger clubs so far? Both owned by Americans who are on the hook for a lot of money.

It does make sense to start getting in whatever income you can, but only if the club is going to use it wisely (ie not just to continue paying players their current wages).

Aberdeen been on sale for ages too.

IveSeenTheLight
14 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

Where do you suggest clubs make up the difference? I find it hard to imagine any club will be in a position to be paying 1.5x a weekly wage when this is all over. Reducing costs and no deferring them is the only way forward. Let’s face it, IF the season gets completed it is going to be behind closed doors so a large part of the missing revenue will never be recouped and means deferring is unsustainable. 

There are many options for repayment.

It doesn't need to be  1.5 times their weekly wage, it could be spread out over a longer terms or repayed earlier if funds allowed i.e. player sales

The deferred wages is essentially rolled up into a loan to be repaid to the players

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

It doesn't need to be  1.5 times their weekly wage, it could be spread out over a longer terms or repayed earlier if funds allowed i.e. player sales

The deferred wages is essentially rolled up into a loan to be repaid to the players

3 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Not saying it isn't an option, just disagree with the premise that Scottish footballers should be exempt from a reduction in wages, for a short period, while the whole ****ing world (Belarus apart) goes through a virus that is killing some and causing economic ruin to almost everyone.

If Messi and Ronaldo can see it, why can't the donkeys who play here?

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Not at time of unprecedented uncertainty surely? Aberdeen's wage bill is what 10m? So deferring 50% for say 6 months is leaving them on the hook for what over £2m potentially when this is all over? A lot of them may be playing for other clubs by the time they get repaid.

Each to their own I suppose but footballers are very highly paid and as a group generally show very little loyalty. Why should they get 100% of their relatively massive wages for doing nothing when many people still working are taking wage cuts and many more are losing their jobs?

JAMBO _MOBY
35 minutes ago, RonnieG said:

Read the definition of a zero hours contract. 

IveSeenTheLight
3 minutes ago, RonnieG said:

Aberdeen been on sale for ages too.

Yep, apparently 1000 ST have been sold so far for next season.

Not bad when you consider the uncertainty at this time.

Aberdeen also have a #StillStandingFree donation page https://www.justgiving.com/campaign/20kin2020forAFCCT to help anyone in the area with food poverty at this time

Lord Beni of Gorgie
15 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Not at time of unprecedented uncertainty surely? Aberdeen's wage bill is what 10m? So deferring 50% for say 6 months is leaving them on the hook for what over £2m potentially when this is all over? A lot of them may be playing for other clubs by the time they get repaid.

Each to their own I suppose but footballers are very highly paid and as a group generally show very little loyalty. Why should they get 100% of their relatively massive wages for doing nothing when many people still working are taking wage cuts and many more are losing their jobs?

Aberdeen have got a good history with debt consolidation though. They did very well out of the banks before, perhaps they can do well with the players this time.

Each club will form a strategy, such an unusual event, nobody knows what the best risk is, nothing to learn from. Personally, I believe AB sees at as both Risk and Opportunity

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

So if your a Barca player on 200k per week, you’ll now be on approx 50k per week. I don’t know how they’ll manage.

IveSeenTheLight
3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Aberdeen have got a good history with debt consolidation though. They did very well out of the banks before, perhaps they can do well with the players this time.

Each club will form a strategy, such an unusual event, nobody knows what the best risk is, nothing to learn from. Personally, I believe AB sees at as both Risk and Opportunity

:rofl:

Thanks Sir Gio

Complete lack of comprehension and the irony is overwhelming