Wage cut for players and staff (Statement on 24/4)

Bunny Munro

A_A wehatethehibs

A lot of talk about the possibility of next season being the one that gets cancelled, this season just being postponed until the lockdown is fully lifted which could be October-November. Could be Christmas or beyond before football is able to resume. Even when some social things go back to more normality, there’s probably still going to be restrictions ongoing for things like mass gatherings. 

Indefinitely postpone this season until games can resume, a year to sort this virus then finish the season and go into euro 2021.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• soonbe110

• Last Laff

IveSeenTheLight
1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

A lot of talk about the possibility of next season being the one that gets cancelled, this season just being postponed until the lockdown is fully lifted which could be October-November. Could be Christmas or beyond before football is able to resume. Even when some social things go back to more normality, there’s probably still going to be restrictions ongoing for things like mass gatherings. 

Indefinitely postpone this season until games can resume, a year to sort this virus then finish the season and go into euro 2021.

Whilst its possible, players contracts would be the major stumbling block, including the ability to sustain the clubs as a going concern for such a period with no income.

I'd be very surprised if this is the outcome.

12 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

What would be the outcome of selling 0% of the normal season tickets with regards to income and the ability to afford players wagses?

Aberdeen are selling season tickets too, I've already bought ours, surely buying season tickets (as you would in normal circumstances (if you are able to)) helps the clubs.

You’ll be fine. You’ve got £50m+ lying round remember. 

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Whilst its possible, players contracts would be the major stumbling block, including the ability to sustain the clubs as a going concern for such a period with no income.

I'd be very surprised if this is the outcome.

All the players can get furloughed and take the 3 months of £2500 Boris Dole just like the rest of society. Clubs shut their doors and nobody gets paid. No transfers as this season is still ongoing so players have no choice but to stay at their clubs. That’s what’s happened to pubs, restaurants, self employed, everything else except Tesco basically. Completely FUBAR In times like this a contract isn’t worth the paper it’s written on.

The point is, they’re on about somehow ending this season and hopefully starting the next one.... but nobody knows when?or who will be in what league? Certainly doesn’t look likely for August. 

17 hours ago, wavydavy said:

There is a difference but until such times as this is over and play resumes the players will have a cut in their pay. They are saying it will be paid back once things are back to normal but that could change.

The difference being a group of the players offered the deferral.

2 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Hibs confirm they have sold over a 1000 in 2 days

I dont understand why we arent selling ours.  Its income the club needs right now. 

Nookie Bear
4 minutes ago, hawaii said:

Scotsman - Hibs still drawing up recruitment plans despite football shutdown 

Await the twitteratti condemnation 

But i think they are just deferring wages to take account of the reduced income flow, not simply cutting them like we are? It's a different situation.

Just now, RonnieG said:

I dont understand why we arent selling ours.  Its income the club needs right now. 

We’ve no idea what league we will be playing in. If we weren’t rock bottom, I’d imagine we’d be selling seasons books as well. 

south morocco
2 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

We’ve no idea what league we will be playing in. If we weren’t rock bottom, I’d imagine we’d be selling seasons books as well. 

Surely though, the hardcore would still buy?

11 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

All the players can get furloughed and take the 3 months of £2500 Boris Dole just like the rest of society. Clubs shut their doors and nobody gets paid. No transfers as this season is still ongoing so players have no choice but to stay at their clubs. That’s what’s happened to pubs, restaurants, self employed, everything else except Tesco basically. Completely FUBAR In times like this a contract isn’t worth the paper it’s written on.

The point is, they’re on about somehow ending this season and hopefully starting the next one.... but nobody knows when?or who will be in what league? Certainly doesn’t look likely for August. 

But you don't get anything if you earn more than 50k?

Nicholas Brody

We don't know what league we will be in and we don't even know if next season will be played by the end of the year. Or, if we're finishing off this season before we start next season at some point. 

I get that people will show blind loyalty and purchase season tickets but if that money is then used to fill the gaps now, what money do we use next season?

Right now, I certainly have much bigger things that my mind is focused on rather than spending £500 buying a season ticket that might be a short season playing in the championship.

9 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

just launch them at same price.  Even if we are down next season we will still sell 1000s now.  That lot sold then at same price when they went down 

Nicholas Brody
6 minutes ago, RonnieG said:

just launch them at same price.  Even if we are down next season we will still sell 1000s now.  That lot sold then at same price when they went down 

Hearts and Rangers were in the league when they went down. 

It's really not the same this time round.

IveSeenTheLight
21 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

You’ll be fine. You’ve got £50m+ lying round remember. 

:rofl:

Still a lack of comprehension.

As you were Special Officer Doofy 

230463077_ScreenShot2020-03-30at10_20_07.png.ba2b0b38d9fd457822ee247c0f898128.png

IveSeenTheLight
24 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I thought you were istating that the 8/9 games are completed ahead of summer 2021.

That's not just 3 months furlough

avhudtheteeshirt

Hibees bigging it with 50% pay deferrals are not looking at the future, 50% pay deferral means that when football restarts players wages will go up by 50% till back pay has been paid?

OK there is no money coming in just now so cutting salaries is necessary, but where do you find the extra money to pay back when football finally resumes????

For this reason I think Ann Budge has got it totally right, some other clubs who take the other route may last till it kicks off again, but then finding the other 50% wages will put them to the wall!!!!!

Mark Donaldson indicated on the recent Scarves around the funnel podcast, both Hibs and Aberdeen had been in touch with Hearts regards reducing the wage bills.  Hearts are ahead of the game after the recent announcement by the chief medical officer it could be 6 months before normal life resumes.  No club can withstand six months without any income streams

17 minutes ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

Hibees bigging it with 50% pay deferrals are not looking at the future, 50% pay deferral means that when football restarts players wages will go up by 50% till back pay has been paid?

OK there is no money coming in just now so cutting salaries is necessary, but where do you find the extra money to pay back when football finally resumes????

For this reason I think Ann Budge has got it totally right, some other clubs who take the other route may last till it kicks off again, but then finding the other 50% wages will put them to the wall!!!!!

I seem to recall seeing a chart on one of these threads recently which showed how much cash reserves each SPFL club had and Hibs had over £4 million which I thought quite incredible at the time.

If that is actually true then maybe they should dig into that until play resumes.

26 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I seem to recall seeing a chart on one of these threads recently which showed how much cash reserves each SPFL club had and Hibs had over £4 million which I thought quite incredible at the time.

If that is actually true then maybe they should dig into that until play resumes.

How would anyone know how much cash reserves any club has?  I suspect they are going by the last accounts of each club and in our case the last accounts were to 30/06/19(?).  That's 9 months ago and a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then.

11 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

How would anyone know how much cash reserves any club has?  I suspect they are going by the last accounts of each club and in our case the last accounts were to 30/06/19(?).  That's 9 months ago and a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then.

Any profit would be taxed. 

42 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Cash is declared in a clubs annual accounts but depending on each clubs financial year it can be very misleading, if a clubs year end is after the majority season ticket sales but before summer transfers then clubs will appear to have a lot in the bank but ST money needs spread out over the season so while hibs might have had £4m on the 30th of june that could well have easily been spent by now

12 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

And have still not filed those accounts, one day to go before they are late. 

Anyone who has worked with Balance Sheets can make them look good or bad whichever way they want. Cash reserves need to be looked at the levels of creditors also.

Finlay James
3 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

EEN keepin' it real.

I read this earlier and had to Google who he is.  Don't remember him playing against us at all.

Malinga the Swinga
5 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

EEN keepin' it real.

Great to see EEN getting opinion of financial expert and not just another useless twat whose only claim to fame was he played for Hibs.

17 minutes ago, Kylejordan said:

Another Hibby asked to put their name to a daily record article that's already been debunked by the club and the EEN made an article about.

Sooner we deny any access to the club for this hapless rag the better

Edited by Ribble

Harper saying why can’t bigger clubs be like Albion Rovers. 
Maybe he can give some advice to Bayern Munich or Real Madrid or Barcelona. After he’s given his master plan to Boris Johnson and Nicola Sturgeon 

just waiting on the evening news running an exclusive from Conrad next. That rag really is the pits

Edited by 1971fozzy

Malinga the Swinga

Given what we have seen from other sports and how other football clubs in Europe, such as Bayern, Juventus, and other have responded, is it a fair question to ask why Scottish football players consider themselves immune to the impacts of Covid 19. Other than Naismith, none of them appear to have come out and said anything. 

There appears to be a massive disconnect between these players, managers and associated hangers on and the the general public on whose wages these pish heads depend on. 

21 minutes ago, Kylejordan said:

There a few subjects the media is getting people to comment on. What to do with the season is the main one. Pretty annoying mostly.

This seems to be the subject in Scotland or at least Edinburgh. But have they looked ar what is happening?

Juventus 4 months no wages 

And wait 

25 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

I read this earlier and had to Google who he is.  Don't remember him playing against us at all.

His greatest moment was helping Hibs beat us late on in 1998 season. 

Didn't prevent Hibs being relegated though. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Jambo in Yorkshire

It’s obvious that Hibs are suggesting a deferral  based on the situation lasting say 2 months.

Its looking more and more likely that it will last much longer. How long can the Hibs players go without wages?

Not very long would be my guess so what happens in 2 months time?

I think a number of pundits and ex Hibs players won’t be quite so quick to comment.

1 minute ago, Jambo in Yorkshire said:

It’s obvious that Hibs are suggesting a deferral  based on the situation lasting say 2 months.

Its looking more and more likely that it will last much longer. How long can the Hibs players go without wages?

Not very long would be my guess so what happens in 2 months time?

I think a number of pundits and ex Hibs players won’t be quite so quick to comment.

They are working based on their plan to significantly increase turnover. Having already said that they can do that they can legitimately say they could make up the wages. Or at least the players could point that out.

Footballfirst

French clubs could be taking an unexpected financial hit.

From a journalist that covers French football:

French professional football will not receive TV rights for matches which no longer take place. Canal + and BeIn Sport will no longer pay the professional football league (LFP) the € 152,000,000 they would have paid on April 5, 2020.

Clubs, including PSG, have chosen to take advantage of the French government's widened social measures. They have placed all of their employees on partial or technical unemployment. Each club will pay 70% base salary to its employees, and receives a reimbursement from the State.

41 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Great to see EEN getting opinion of financial expert and not just another useless twat whose only claim to fame was he played for Hibs.

Is playing for Hibs a claim to fame? 😁

22 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Given what we have seen from other sports and how other football clubs in Europe, such as Bayern, Juventus, and other have responded, is it a fair question to ask why Scottish football players consider themselves immune to the impacts of Covid 19. Other than Naismith, none of them appear to have come out and said anything. 

There appears to be a massive disconnect between these players, managers and associated hangers on and the the general public on whose wages these pish heads depend on. 

Across the country and in all walks of life, people are having to take cuts, even as much as 100%, because of a unique crisis with no time frame.  No one has any certainty about anything.

I was wondering why the football fraternity, and indeed many people on here, consider these players so important that they should be accorded special treatment.  The word "sacrosanct" springs to mind.

Much has been made of what Hearts have done, usually to take a big stick to us, but do the MSM make the same comparisons between employers in other businesses?  That BTW was a rhetorical question.

The latest Hobo talk is it what the players who have suggested they should defer their wages another classic act of Hobo revision.

1 minute ago, Rods said:

The latest Hobo talk is it what the players who have suggested they should defer their wages another classic act of Hobo revision.

Thats true.  One of the players is a family friend. They suggested it to ensure non playing staff can be paid. 

Pasquale for King

Barca players have accepted a 70% wage cut to save the jobs of the rest of the clubs staff. Any word on our bunch of charlatans yet?

27 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Across the country and in all walks of life, people are having to take cuts, even as much as 100%, because of a unique crisis with no time frame.  No one has any certainty about anything.

I was wondering why the football fraternity, and indeed many people on here, consider these players so important that they should be accorded special treatment.  The word "sacrosanct" springs to mind.

Much has been made of what Hearts have done, usually to take a big stick to us, but do the MSM make the same comparisons between employers in other businesses?  That BTW was a rhetorical question.

Exactly, football players are employees, just the same as the vast majority. Why would they be treated differently? PFA needs to be careful with this one or they will build a huge level of resentment towards their members. 

East Lothian Jambo
5 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

EEN good substitute for toilet paper. 

It's a desperate publication that probably should be put out of its misery 

Fully payable deferrals are a terrible idea right now.    But if Hibs fans prefer a little short term oneupmanship with the expense of longer term problems piling up then let them bash on.