Wage cut for players and staff (Statement on 24/4)

Bunny Munro

4 minutes ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

This is when the ITK’ers need to chip in with some info! Have the players broadly already agreed this in advance of the media finding out?

The players union have already been contacted so unless it’s just one or two that’s refused I would say it’s highly doubtful but would be heart warming in the extreme if so.  

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• soonbe110

• Last Laff

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Not sure, it came across the moving news at the bottom of the screen. I just caught it before it moved on to something else.

The players haven’t made any decision yet

After a day taking this in I'm still not sure how to take this.

1. We may be in big trouble. I don't think we are but the pessimist in me is telling me that.

2. Budge is just being savvy and gearing up for the worst possible outcome - possibly 4 months without football.

Sustainability is key in these tough times so point 2 makes sense. Perhaps once football goes back to normal staff and players will be reimbursed for loss of income during this period of uncertainty.

3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I think there might be several thousand Hearts fans more worried about whether they have a house and a job in 3 months time rather than chucking more money at a private business who have made poor and costly decisions in the last 3-4 years.

Safe to assume he was meaning fans who don’t have such worries imo.

13 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Stupid bosses of BA, Delta, Swiss Air and Virgin. Fancy ordering new planes when they could have continued  with older ones that weren't safe and would have failed safety inspections. Didn't they realise an unknown pandemic was going to occur and lead to a global depression. Everyone else did (well, apart from Presidents, Prime Ministers, First Ministers, Religious Ministers, CEO's, company bosses, self employed people, employed people, unemployed people, school children and every other ****in individual).

Seriously wonder why some people are allowed to access internet. Their carers should take better care of them.

Aye I’ve been locked in the house for 7 days and was having a shit night last night. 

Still not happy about it but didn’t need the OTT reaction.  Apologies. 

1 minute ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Safe to assume he was meaning fans who don’t have such worries imo.

Sure. My point was that the club cant expect any significant increase in fan donations at this time

1 hour ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Here’s my theory.  I think the players and management have already agreed to this prior to the announcement.  I’m also going to predict that Naismith and perhaps a few of the higher earners will wave their entire wage for the next few months to subsidise the lower earners and office staff.  Let’s see how the media handles that one.

Nice theory but I think the players got an email and or a phone call an hour or so before the announcement. There was no opportunity to speak to the players as a group as no one is in this week. Now senior players may have known but I really don’t think they did. 

4 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

The players haven’t made any decision yet

Fair enough, I might be wrong as I did just read it quickly before it moved on 

5 minutes ago, ModJambo said:

1. We may be in big trouble. I don't think we are but the pessimist in me is telling me that.

2. Budge is just being savvy and gearing up for the worst possible outcome - possibly 4 months without football.

Sustainability is key in these tough times so point 2 makes sense. Perhaps once football goes back to normal staff and players will be reimbursed for loss of income during this period of uncertainty.

Thats the way am looking at it

8 hours ago, sadj said:

^^^accurate and unfortunately very near sighted. Useful at mo but long term 🙈🙈🙈 all done to death you are opinionated on it no matter whether it is explained the world is changing or not. 

Will Hibs fans be saying oh **** we spent x amount on womens football when they have to cut their cloth for the zero income they have until god knows when?

How long do you mean long term? I am not against supporting women’s football. My argument has always been the amount of financial support we were providing was too much. A club that barely breaks even each year should not be spending £150k + a year on a project that will not generate any return for at least 5 years. 
This argument applies to any project and not just women’s football.  
As a club we have not learned lessons from the past. We should have been building up a reserve in case of a rainy day.  After all the money that has come into the club to be in the position where we have to cut staff salaries now just demonstrates how poorly AB has managed the finances of the club.

Rogue Daddy
8 hours ago, martoon said:

Take a bow, lads. 👏👍

This thread certainly separates the wheat from the chaff (arseholes and Hibs scum). 

What he said 👆

At least AB is getting out in front of this, making decisions... **** the rest of them (ie. fans of other clubs poking fun), like it or not, she is 'leading' for the better of the club. 

Yes, mistakes have been made (what club hasn't made them).. but this is about survival. If I was the fan of another club I would be questioning why I hadn't heard anything!

The Real Maroonblood

Ann won’t be taken any delight in doing this.

Tough decisions to be made.

For what it’s worth I understand why she’s doing it.

Thanks to those who answered my last questions.

Next question, and im not advicating we do this,

Can we return loan players to parent clubs?

Can we cancel contracts of those not here long enough for employment law to kick in?

1 hour ago, Last Laff said:

I probably agree.  Clarification would be nice though.  Letting any player leave for free (even with transfer value) says total and utter desperation which wouldn’t make any sense with cash reserves available from the FOH?  Is this a joint decision with Ann Budge? I’m sure trying to sell Hickey for £1m or £2 would have been a decent short term measure instead of asking Liam Boyce he has to reduce a massive wage he only signed up for a few months ago. 

Hickey still has 14 months in his contract so he won’t be going free. 

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

As im not one for reading accounts etc can someone answer the following.

Has Ann been paid back?

What funds do F.o.H.have (roughly)?

Do we have a debt to a bank?

Do we still have a balance to pay for works completed in stand?

Yes.

Don't know will keep monthly income now.

Figures are only public in annual accounts , so who knows?

Second floor of stand is unfinished but work put on hold so hopefully no expenditure there.

1 hour ago, Last Laff said:

If the £0.5m isn’t factored then it shouldn’t count as operating loses at this time which has lead to this situation, it’s merely a bonus (a *** big juicy tasty one at this time nonetheless) 

The whole issue is about cash flow, nothing to do with operating profits or losses. How do we pay wages and bills for next three/four months is the issue. 

3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Hickey still has 14 months in his contract so he won’t be going free. 

The statement yesterday says players not willing to take the will be offered contract termination. 

23 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Nice theory but I think the players got an email and or a phone call an hour or so before the announcement. There was no opportunity to speak to the players as a group as no one is in this week. Now senior players may have known but I really don’t think they did. 

Some not happy and talking to their union. Mostly the ones who know they are not wanted. 

1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

The statement yesterday says players not willing to take the will be offered contract termination. 

Yes, the higher paid ones. Why would she pay Hickey to go away? One of the few assets we have. In any case the pay reduction won’t be 50% for him. 

heartsfc_fan

I'm not sure what rejecting a pay cut achieves. A footballer isn't going to get another job till probably August if they are lucky in that current climate. So they'll sit with no salary until then?

indianajones

Again, the media and other fans can dress this up as the demise of HMFC (not a chance) as much as they want. They should really be looking in the way. 

People in glasshouses and all that. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Players and staff on low wages were not asked to take the cut. There is a threshold. This isn’t great news but it’s about Long term survival rather than immediate money troubles. 

Everyone working full time has been asked to take a 50% wage cut, down to £18k at the lowest level. Not quite what you’ve said here. It isn’t great news but totally necessary as you say.

Some not happy and talking to their union. Mostly the ones who know they are not wanted. 

Yip. 

Ive actually never known a time were I have felt such a disconnect to a group of players. I think Clare would be the only player I’d genuinely be gutted to see leave. 

The whole issue is about cash flow, nothing to do with operating profits or losses. How do we pay wages and bills for next three/four months is the issue. 

There has been £millions put into the club externally over the last few years, if the club are completely struggling to pay wages and bills for a few months towards the end of the football season anyway it’s really concerning.  Isn’t season ticket sales from this season that we are in plus over income such as commercial sponsorship not meant to cover costs for the complete season at least?  The cup run income added to that as a bonus also.  If the club is being ran so brilliantly off the pitch then how has it come to this so soon?  I get that it may be a precautionary approach to things but the whole point in fan ownership that should have been achieved by now was to make sure the club never finds itself in a position of concern in the future and a couple of weeks since the football closure it seems to be happening again. 

Francis Albert
35 minutes ago, ModJambo said:

Sorry to be "negative" (or realistic) but 4 months without football is very far from being "the worst possible outcome". More like the best possible.

Edited by Francis Albert

Yes, the higher paid ones. Why would she pay Hickey to go away? One of the few assets we have. In any case the pay reduction won’t be 50% for him. 

The statement never said the higher paid ones?  It also never ruled out the staff either, it was an across the board statement to players and staff alike on wages low to high. 

Pasquale for King
39 minutes ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

Employees as in bar/office staff etc?

They didn’t specify, some will and some won’t. It’s only FT staff, we have quite a few PT staff. 

3 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Again, the media and other fans can dress this up as the demise of HMFC (not a chance) as much as they want. They should really be looking in the way. 

People in glasshouses and all that. 

I really don’t think many are seeing it that way. 

4 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

I'm not sure what rejecting a pay cut achieves. A footballer isn't going to get another job till probably August if they are lucky in that current climate. So they'll sit with no salary until then?

They reject the pay cut then they stay on full pay.  It’s not a pay cut or contract termination ultimatum. 

indianajones
1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

I really don’t think many are seeing it that way. 

Are you sure?

The amount of Hibs and other clubs fans that have been shouting about this is pretty blatant. 

Just now, indianajones said:

Are you sure?

The amount of Hibs and other clubs fans that have been shouting about this is pretty blatant. 

They are best being ignored though, you should know that by now 👍 

7 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

That's my thoughts.

bigsuperslim1874
8 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Yip. 

Ive actually never known a time were I have felt such a disconnect to a group of players. I think Clare would be the only player I’d genuinely be gutted to see leave. 

How many have said no? And I’d lump Smith into the gutted category.

9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Sorry to be "negative" (or realistic) but 4 months without football is very far from being "the worst possible outcome". More like the best possible.

Good point.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

They reject the pay cut then they stay on full pay.  It’s not a pay cut or contract termination ultimatum. 

I think you should read the statement, to avoid redundancies staff have been offered a 50% pay cut, if they don’t take it they will be offered a contract termination. 
https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-1-2-3-4-5-6

indianajones
3 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

They are best being ignored though, you should know that by now 👍 

You aren't wrong! J

Just find it very strange how everyone is so quick to jump on us for taking the same action (probable) most other clubs will do. 

132goals1958
9 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

There has been £millions put into the club externally over the last few years, if the club are completely struggling to pay wages and bills for a few months towards the end of the football season anyway it’s really concerning.  Isn’t season ticket sales from this season that we are in plus over income such as commercial sponsorship not meant to cover costs for the complete season at least?  The cup run income added to that as a bonus also.  If the club is being ran so brilliantly off the pitch then how has it come to this so soon?  I get that it may be a precautionary approach to things but the whole point in fan ownership that should have been achieved by now was to make sure the club never finds itself in a position of concern in the future and a couple of weeks since the football closure it seems to be happening again. 

In the present circumstances it is strict financial discipline.

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think you should read the statement, to avoid redundancies staff have been offered a 50% pay cut, if they don’t take it they will be offered a contract termination. 
https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-1-2-3-4-5-6

Offered. They can reject the offer and stay on full pay as I understand it.

Just now, bigsuperslim1874 said:

How many have said no? And I’d lump Smith into the gutted category.

Am not the clued in lad. I know one first team player, he’s barely featured and only has months left on his contract and probably would’ve been moved on in the summer anyway. He wasn’t impressed as you’d imagine and he painted a pretty angry reaction to the announcement but am taken that with a pinch of salt. 

Smith was always gonna leave in the summer anyway I’d imagine but I would also miss him actual. 

Adam_the_legend
9 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Yes it is. Can you read??

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, indianajones said:

You aren't wrong! J

Just find it very strange how everyone is so quick to jump on us for taking the same action (probable) most other clubs will do. 

I agree with a lot of your post regards the regime.

This one is no different.

16 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Well yeah it's uncertain how long things are going to be like this.

I'm just stating a ball park figure?

Anyone who thinks other clubs won’t follow our lead on this isn’t paying attention. It will be August at the earliest before we see any football. No company that has all of its income disappear would be able to keep going for long without taking drastic action. If some of our players think they’ll be able to flounce off and pick up better deals elsewhere I wish them the best of luck.

4 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Due to her severe disregard for HMFC as a football CLUB it has resulted in each year finishing lower in the league than the previous year then subsequently reducing the budget accordingly. Her entire business plan (hospitality) can mainly be realised on matchdays but with such an underperforming team matchdays have almost completely lost all appeal. We are ****ed. She has destroyed us. We have lost our stadium and soul and we are about to be right back to where we began with her. At least there were good times under Vlad. Queen Ann has provided misery, pretty much every week.

Hamilton and St Mirren will budget for a relegation battle but we were just not prepared for this. Paying the wages of Aberdeen for the results and performances of Hamilton and this is the result. Infact Hamilton have better results than us.

I see the Samaritans still have you on ignore........clever people!