The rise and fall of The SNP.

The currency issue, along with the central bank chat, is just a red herring designed to panic people who don’t have a grasp of economics. Not being a dick but it really is. To suggest a Scottish pound would be worth half and English pound is just gibberish. The two economies will be so closely linked nobody will notice the difference. Look at the euro/sterling conversion rate. Gradually got closer and closer while we were members of the EU. Similarly the central bank, or lack of, chat is barely relevant. Scotland setting its own interest rates? Explain why we would vary, in any meaningful way from BoE interest rates anytime soon.

Edited by GinRummy

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• manaliveits105

• Roxy Hearts

Just now, SE16 3LN said:

😂 Which is exactly why the SNP will always be Tartan Tories. 

Feed the (Scottish) Children.

Black (Scottish) lives matter.

Extend furlough for the  (Scottish) workers. 

Not sure about the tartan tories talk but they are a one policy party and not to be trusted. The Tories are handing Scotland independence on a plate because despite all the SNP’s faults (and there are many) the Tories are worse and not by a small margin. 

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Not sure about the tartan tories talk but they are a one policy party and not to be trusted. The Tories are handing Scotland independence on a plate because despite all the SNP’s faults (and there are many) the Tories are worse and not by a small margin. 

It's not just that the tories are brutal, they're bringing into sharp focus just how weak Scotland's voice is in this union - we get whatever government England wants, and if they're not into Scotland we're in trouble.

Westminster allowed us some slack on the leash with the devolved parliament, but they have the right to reel it right back in whenever they want.

Just now, Smithee said:

It's not just that the tories are brutal, they're bringing into sharp focus just how weak Scotland's voice is in this union - we get whatever government England wants, and if they're not into Scotland we're in trouble.

Westminster allowed us some slack on the leash with the devolved parliament, but they have the right to reel it right back in whenever they want.

Tend to agree. It’s so obvious to anyone with a neutral point of view that, politically speaking, Scotland and England’s voters are complete opposites and are likely to remain so. Independence is the only answer that gives Scottish voters a voice. 

21 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

😂 Which is exactly why the SNP will always be Tartan Tories. 

Feed the (Scottish) Children.

Black (Scottish) lives matter.

Extend furlough for the  (Scottish) workers. 

How dare they quite justifiably conclude “well our influence over the UK as a whole amounts to zero percent, so we at least ought to have influence where we can make a difference.” :rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Tend to agree. It’s so obvious to anyone with a neutral point of view that, politically speaking, Scotland and England’s voters are complete opposites and are likely to remain so. Independence is the only answer that gives Scottish voters a voice. 

:spoton:

25 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

The currency issue, along with the central bank chat, is just a red herring designed to panic people who don’t have a grasp of economics. Not being a dick but it really is. To suggest a Scottish pound would be worth half and English pound is just gibberish. The two economies will be so closely linked nobody will notice the difference. Look at the euro/sterling conversion rate. Gradually got closer and closer while we were members of the EU. Similarly the central bank, or lack of, chat is barely relevant. Scotland setting its own interest rates? Explain why we would vary, in any meaningful way from BoE interest rates anytime soon.

Just what I was saying only you put it much better than I did. 
Currency issue is only an issue if youre feckless!

Because it just isnt!

Lets move on!

50 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It certainly isn't making much sense.

Sorry mate, I've tried my best, but if you can't understand that a differing exchange means that you may get more/less foreign currency for your money then I give up.

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

Sorry mate, I've tried my best, but if you can't understand that a differing exchange means that you may get more/less foreign currency for your money then I give up.

He does. He’s asking you why if his currency is worth less than the one just over the border that he would then go over said border to get less for his money...

10 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Currency issue is only an issue if youre feckless!

Because it just isnt!

Lets move on!

It's not.

It is.

People can't untill it's resolved.

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

It's not.

It is.

Why can’t they? What difference, in real terms, will it make to anyone if we’re paid in euros, pounds or Scottish pounds. 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Why can’t they? What difference, in real terms, will it make to anyone if we’re paid in euros, pounds or Scottish pounds. 

Obviously it's a big enough concern as was it not one of if not the reasons people gave last time for voting No?

I still find it incredible that given people's concerns over the currency that it hasn't been resolved by now.

6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

He does. He’s asking you why if his currency is worth less than the one just over the border that he would then go over said border to get less for his money...

I think he's also asking if you get paid 1.5x more Scots pounds versus 1.5x fewer pounds sterling that are worth 1.5x more, what difference does it make at the exchange desk—a very apt question indeed.

6 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It's not.

It is.

Ok I will bite. 
Tell me why its an issue and why we cant move on?

2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Obviously it's a big enough concern as was it not one of if not the reasons people gave last time for voting No?

I still find it incredible that given people's concerns over the currency that it hasn't been resolved by now.

Just say you don’t know if you don’t know.  I agree, people are concerned, I just don’t think they should be. 

Edited by GinRummy

7 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

I've lived with the reality of exchange rates, paying bills in the UK while living and earning in the euro zone, travelling back and forth, exchanging money, spending it, comparing value, watching exchange rates change.

I'm no expert but I get what's going on. I don't get what would make me drive to England to do my shopping if the Scottish pound was worth less than sterling.

Just now, Pans Jambo said:

Ok I will bite. 

It's also worth pointing out the assumption that's being made, that the GBP will be worth more than the Scots Pound.

I haven't seen any evidence that will actually be the case, and I imagine some economists would argue it would not be, including those who would point to S&P's rating a hypothetical Scottish economy as "AAA" versus the UK's "AA" rating which was reaffirmed this year, as but one reason why.

Just now, Pans Jambo said:

Ok I will bite. 

It's not a case of "biting" but tell me why it hasn't been resolved as it was such a big hurdle last time? If it's no big deal how is still an issue?

Just now, GinRummy said:

Just say you don’t know if you don’t know.  I agree, people are concerned, I just don’t think they should be. 

I don't know, but then niether do you!!!

But burying heads in the sand when it was one of the biggest hurdles last time is ludicrous, bit that's just my opinion. 

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

But burying heads in the sand when it was one of the biggest hurdles last time is ludicrous, bit that's just my opinion. 

Tbh that's quite fair in general. But the commenters in this thread have done anything but burying their heads in the sand. They're rightly asking questions with the goal of determining if the currency issue is anything more but a meaningless, blustering talking point to distract from real issues and create uncertainty, Project Fear-style.

8 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Its utter nonsense!!!

Alistair Darling got hours of air time talking shite about currency and “lender of last resort”. Nobody had ever heard of “lender of last resort” until he made it a “thing”. And thats my whole point, they contol the narrative and the feckless take on whatever talking point they deem appropriate at the time. Like Brexit “take back control”. utter shite that nobody even knew what it was about but I will bet they repeated it down the pub when talking about Brexit. 
The currency thing is overplayed and the folk who use it as a reason to vote no are only regurgitating utter shite they hear on the news by folk like Alastair Darling who sounds like he know what hes on about. Its bollocks!

If its not...why isnt it?

Edited by Pans Jambo

I’ve already given my opinion on why it’s a red herring so I think I do know. I agree, it was a disaster for the yes campaign last time and I’m not arguing that it won’t be this time. Just that it shouldn’t be. 

4 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It's not a case of "biting" but tell me why it hasn't been resolved as it was such a big hurdle last time? If it's no big deal how is still an issue?

Because its not an “issue”. Its just a voxpop from the telly

6 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Because its not an “issue”. Its just a voxpop from the telly

Not for the, possibly, millions of No voters, this is the point.

8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I’ve already given my opinion on why it’s a red herring so I think I do know. I agree, it was a disaster for the yes campaign last time and I’m not arguing that it won’t be this time. Just that it shouldn’t be. 

Your opinion is just that, it doesn't mean you know, the currency will be a problem untill resolved, for any party not to have sorted out, as you say, a disastrous non policy after four years is truly astonishing.

Your opinion is just that, it doesn't mean you know, the currency will be a problem untill resolved, for any party not to have sorted out, as you say, a disastrous non policy after four years is truly astonishing.

Of course it’s just my opinion. The issue has been blown massively out of proportion (imo😏) and the SNP have allowed it to happen which sadly detracts from the really important issues. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

Of course it’s just my opinion. The issue has been blown massively out of proportion (imo😏) and the SNP have allowed it to happen which sadly detracts from the really important issues. 

We agree then👍

We agree then👍

That the SNP hasn’t dealt well with the currency question over the years? Aye, we agree on that. The tories are experts at getting the public to look at one thing and ignore the other. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

That the SNP hasn’t dealt well with the currency question over the years? Aye, we agree on that. The tories are experts at getting the public to look at one thing and ignore the other. 

Yep and yep!!

33 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Not for the, possibly, millions of No voters, this is the point.

So you must agree with me that if the No MP’s make it an issue even when it clearly isnt, the great unwashed make it real when they adopt it and repeat it over and over until it almost becomes the truth. 
Lesson 1 on how to make a nonsense issue a real issue in the publics minds. 
Anyway, wont be a deal breaker this time round. The main point his time will be ridding Scotland of the Cunst at Westminster!

3 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

So you must agree with me that if the No MP’s make it an issue even when it clearly isnt, the great unwashed make it real when they adopt it and repeat it over and over until it almost becomes the truth. 
Lesson 1 on how to make a nonsense issue a real issue in the publics minds. 
Anyway, wont be a deal breaker this time round. The main point his time will be ridding Scotland of the Cunst at Westminster!

I don't agree with your point, no.

It's the electorate that were asking the question about the currency not just the MP's. If the SNP continually leave an open goal do you honestly expect the opposition not to aim for it?

You'd be raging if the argument was reversed!!

It clearly is an issue.

8 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It's the electorate that were asking the question about the currency not just the MP's. If the SNP continually leave an open goal do you honestly expect the opposition not to aim for it?

It clearly is an issue.

It isnt, you only THINK it but you cant tell me why it is!

Did ANYONE actually give a toss that we were part of the EU before the ERG tories started banging on about it in the daily mail and the BBC? Naw, it wasnt even close to anyones list of issues. This is the same. There is no REAL currency issue other that the ine Alastair Darling created in the minds of the feckless!

Explain the issue.

Edited by Pans Jambo

5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It clearly is an issue.

That'll be in much the same way 1% of the electorate polled listed EU membership as a pressing British political issue in 2014, I believe it was (wish I could find the link). And yet through mass propaganda, it became a widespread issue in the public conscience.

Just now, Justin Z said:

That'll be in much the same way 1% of the electorate polled listed EU membership as a pressing British political issue in 2014, I believe it was (wish I could find the link). And yet through mass propaganda, it became a widespread issue in the public conscience.

Yep, exactly the same, but one side won that argument, and that's what the SNP need to do, would you agree?

1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

Did ANYONE actually give a toss that we were part of the EU before the ERG tories started banging on aboutbit in the daily mail and the BBC? Naw, it wasnt even close to anyones list of issues. This is the same. There is no REAL currencybissue other that the ine Alastair Darling created in the minds of the feckless!

Explain the issue.

Hah, we were certainly thinking alike at the same time on that one.

Just now, Justin Z said:

Hah, we were certainly thinking alike at the same time on that 

Edited by Dawnrazor

2 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Did ANYONE actually give a toss that we were part of the EU before the ERG tories started banging on aboutbit in the daily mail and the BBC? Naw, it wasnt even close to anyones list of issues. This is the same. There is no REAL currencybissue other that the ine Alastair Darling created in the minds of the feckless!

Explain the issue.

I don't have to expalin though, you've said the currancy isn't an issue, but it was one of the biggest reasons No won. I can't get my head around the Leave side not addressing it, wheather some think it isn't an issue.

5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Yep, exactly the same, but one side won that argument, and that's what the SNP need to do, would you agree?

Yes, it's definitely now one of the front-and-centre issues, and must be addressed somehow.

I don't think the SNP's really "failed" to address it these past six years though. There's no campaign going at the minute, nor has there been—and as we've seen, anytime they spontaneously bring up independence they get rounded on. Even when they don't bring it up at all, that happens (see e.g. “Wee nippy playing politics with her Covid updates”)

That said, they'd better have a plan if we reach the point where there's an upcoming vote, though.

Edit to add: Imo it's really important if you're going to be intelligently civic minded, not just to identify the issues that are out there, but dig deeper, dig into the reasons why they've been placed front and centre, and by whom. The currency issue and Brexit in general are two really big examples where it would be worth anyone's time to trace back and try to see who benefits from making them into issues.

Edited by Justin Z

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Well said and the above is the reason why I vote for the "tartan tory SNP" (Guffaw!) - once Scotland is independent SNP will have done it's job and if it stays as apolitical party it will stand against Scottish orientated parties for election and I will vote for a party that speaks to my social conscience.

1 hour ago, weehammy said:

Salmond whooped with glee when Darling conceded that an independent Scotland could keep the pound. What Darling actually said was that you can pretty much choose your currency. Countries as far apart as Ecuador and Laos use the US Dollar. We could use the rouble if we were so minded.

Which really is the answer anyway. Continue to use sterling as long as useful/convenient. Even create a Scots currency and peg it to sterling in the interim, if that is deemed sound policy.

invent your own currency (e.g. the Scottish groat) - an option, of course, but it would be a tiny and vulnerable currency that could end up being undervalued compared to the major reserved currencies with a knock-on effect on consumer prices.

As already discussed above, presuming that it would be undervalued compared to major reserve currencies with the strength of the projected strong Scottish economy is probably not justified. Small countries like Norway, Sweden, New Zealand, Denmark, Bosnia, etc. all have relatively strong currencies, and I think all or nearly all of those rank in the top 25 of currency strength worldwide.

There's also the argument that perhaps a strong currency would not be a good thing. Scotland exports a shit tonne relative to its size, so a weak currency could potentially benefit an Indy Scotland. Consumer prices might be higher in absolute terms, but the ability to convert foreign currency into more of the local currency through exports would mean higher salaries across the board, meaning lower relative consumer prices.

Whatever view you take,  to argue that it isn’t an issue Is economic illiteracy. The SNP are very aware that it is an issue.

True. But @Pans Jambo correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe your point is in basically asking, “Has the issue ever been framed the way we're talking about it on JKB, in the larger Scottish media?” And the answer would be, absolutely not, because discussing the possibilities was not the reason why it was made into an issue. It was made into an issue to sow uncertainty.

A Boy Named Crow

It was a master-stroke by Project Fear too make such a big deal of the currency,  because it's something that shouldn't be set in stone ahead of the point that Scotland becomes independent, but now they have convinced people it MUST be set in stone, now!

The currency decision will be made based on the economic factors at play at the time. Whether they choose Sterling, the Euro or a new currency will be a decision based on weighing up the pros and cons of each, and there will be pros and cons to every option. 

Project Fear managed to frame it as if staying in the UK with sterling was the only safe harbour, but in reality there are also pros and cons there too. 

The way I look at it is, picture Scotland as a new country, a blank page. There is the option to join this new country to its larger neighbour, using their currency and being tied to their fiscal policies. Or stay an independent country, either using your own currency, or joining the Euro, or using sterling  or whatever, but retaining your sovereignty. 

The question of currency becomes less important then, its just something you work out, assuming you value sovereignty. 

5 minutes ago, weehammy said:

I’m not an economist so was careful not to get too much into the relative merits of particular options. 

Same, just wanted to throw some more possibilities out there, for balance's sake

5 minutes ago, weehammy said:

The poster I was replying to has denied, fairly explicitly, that currency is an issue at all.

And that's why I asked him to clarify, because I don't think it's his intent to do that.

6 minutes ago, weehammy said:

So I repeat, it is an issue - the gobbledygook of your last paragraph notwithstanding.

My apologies if the subject matter is too complex for you mate :sad: Not my intent

7 hours ago, Justin Z said:

And that's why I asked him to clarify, because I don't think it's his intent to do that.

Its not an issue in that we have options that Scotgov have already expressed. We use Sterling in the first year or two then create our own currency when the economic tests have been met. They have already started the process with creating a Scottish investment bank.
But, it gets blown up by the No side as a vote breaking issue and because they bang on about it (& its repeated in the unionist media), the seed of doubt is planted. Same as the Brexit fiasco. Someone above mentioned a poll in 2014 where 1% of people thought the EU was an issue. Introduce the ERG and the unionist media and BOOM!!’ Suddenly its priority number 1 for the masses. 
Their narrative, adopted & endorsed. 
A non-issue that became a big issue. 
This is what happened to the Sots currency question. 

Edited by Pans Jambo

jack D and coke
18 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Its not an issue in that we have options that Scotgov have already expressed. We use Sterling in the first year or two then create our own currency when the economic tests have been met. They have already started the process with creating a Scottish investment bank.
But, it gets blown up by the No side as a vote breaking issue and because they bang on about it (& its repeated in the unionist media), the seed of doubt is planted. Same as the Brexit fiasco. Someone above mentioned a poll in 2014 where 1% of people thought the EU was an issue. Introduce the ERG and the unionist media and BOOM!!’ Suddenly its priority number 1 for the masses. 
Their narrative, adopted & endorsed. 
A non-issue that became a big issue. 
This is what happened to the Sots currency question. 

Look at the way they’ve framed this fishing bolloks in brexit. Like it makes any difference to almost anyone apart from the greedy ******* families who have it all sewn up already. Yeah the EU boats fish our waters but for balance every euro traded goes through the city of London - or it did, wont after a brexit but hey we’ll have our waters back for those greedy ***** yaaass! Everybody banging on about fishermen like it matters to you personally! They force feed the public stuff and you end up waffling on about it as a reason we should be doing it. I appreciate that goes for Indy too btw. My cousin goes on about free trade deals after a brexit :lol: it’s hilarious, the **** is he on about?!🤷🏽‍♂️🤣

23 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Look at the way they’ve framed this fishing bolloks in brexit. Like it makes any difference to almost anyone apart from the greedy ******* families who have it all sewn up already. Yeah the EU boats fish our waters but for balance every euro traded goes through the city of London - or it did, wont after a brexit but hey we’ll have our waters back for those greedy ***** yaaass! Everybody banging on about fishermen like it matters to you personally! They force feed the public stuff and you end up waffling on about it as a reason we should be doing it. I appreciate that goes for Indy too btw. My cousin goes on about free trade deals after a brexit :lol: it’s hilarious, the **** is he on about?!🤷🏽‍♂️🤣

Exactly.

The debate gets discussed at the level the protagonists want in order to further their agenda.

They discuss the fishermen and the waters so we do but folk just dont discuss the lack of affordable housing (a new build 2 bed end terrace in Longniddry is being advertised for almost £300K but nobody bats an eyelid), job creation opportunities, the poorest pensions in Europe, the environment, School refurbishment programmes, social mobility/public transport reforms and so the list goes on.

Issues that affect REAL people not just the ERG or the bloody fishermen but that's what's reported in the Daily Mail, the Express and the BBC/SKY so that's the main issues.

Surely if they can't sort the currency issue out all these years on it shows a complete lack of forethought for when/if  they get independence.

I'd expect a solid plan of how we would go forward beforehand rather than just wing it once it happens.

The problem is the SNP won't give a shit what happens after they achieve their goal. They will have the sole thing they wanted to achieve and then to hell with the consequences. They exist for independence, nothing else.

13 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Surely if they can't sort the currency issue out all these years on it shows a complete lack of forethought for when/if  they get independence.

I'd expect a solid plan of how we would go forward beforehand rather than just wing it once it happens.

The problem is the SNP won't give a shit what happens after they achieve their goal. They will have the sole thing they wanted to achieve and then to hell with the consequences. They exist for independence, nothing else.

Copied from my post above as this is what they have said will happen during the transition period PLUS...we are not in an Independence Referendum build up...It's the Scottish elections to the Scottish Parliament that'll be happening just shortly.

"Its not an issue in that we have options that Scotgov have already expressed. We use Sterling in the first year or two then create our own currency when the economic tests have been met. They have already started the process with creating a Scottish investment bank".

Got it? Good!

Edited by Pans Jambo

jack D and coke
10 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I know what you mean and yeah the SNP are and were created to achieve one goal but I don’t know why that surprises anyone tbh. You can’t ask the SNP to stop being the SNP...there’s a growing belief that they have stopped being the SNP from their core supporters who believe NS etc are careerist and don’t really care for achieving the aims of the party, they’re not for playing this long game that seems to be NS/Peter Murrell’s strategy. 
The other thing with a plan is that it’s only that. They could say it’ll be like this, this and this and the unionist parties will attempt to punch holes in it to create more doubt and mistrust, until it happens it’s really just words and you’ll either believe in them or not. 
If it did happen then pragmatism would (you hope) prevail. 

24 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Copied from my post above as this is what they have said will happen during the transition period PLUS...we are not in an Independence Referendum build up...It's the Scottish elections to the Scottish Parliament that'll be happening just shortly.

"Its not an issue in that we have options that Scotgov have already expressed. We use Sterling in the first year or two then create our own currency when the economic tests have been met. They have already started the process with creating a Scottish investment bank".

Got it? Good!

No.

Use Sterling for the first year or two????

Concrete plans with fixed timescales would be more of a lure.