Don't sell Uche

tartofmidlothian

6 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I'd personally take the first offer we get and sign a better player. 

Me to. There are still a few others that could be added to that list but then I am positive that DS already knows who they are and will be trying to address this if not this month then in the summer.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• BackOfTheNet

• Cruyff

• Mr Elwood P

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the extra money found to bring in Boyce is on the strength of interest from other clubs in taking Uche.

Now if someone said we'll lose Uche but bring in Boyce this window I doubt many would be upset.

7 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I'd personally take the first offer we get and sign a better player. 

Agree there are technically better strikers out there however there are none with his characteristics.

Uche very nearly set up a goal shortly after

coming on. Hun defence already pretty knackered couldn’t handle his physicality. Uche made it to the by line and despite having 2 defenders on him muscled his way through and pulled it back.

Stendel will coach him and get the full use out of him.

15 minutes to go and needing a goal?

Bring big Uche on. Defences hate playing against him!!

2 minutes ago, Jambo_Jarman said:

Almost guaranteed a goal at Easter Road. For that reason alone I'd keep him.

Punt MacLean if we can.

Thats a must

5 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Agree there are technically better strikers out there however there are none with his characteristics.

Uche very nearly set up a goal shortly after

coming on. Hun defence already pretty knackered couldn’t handle his physicality. Uche made it to the by line and despite having 2 defenders on him muscled his way through and pulled it back.

Stendel will coach him and get the full use out of him.

15 minutes to go and needing a goal?

Bring big Uche on. Defences hate playing against him!!

Boyce is better at the target man stuff than Uche is and he's about half the size of him.

If Uche could do the most basic stuff, win it, hold it up, lay it off, then we wouldn't be having this conversation. Most of the time Uche turns the game into a wrestling match which results in us losing possession, territory and giving away fouls. 

We'll see what happens. I'm sure he can improve under Stendel but I won't be questioning DS's decision if he sells him and I won't shed any tears if we do. 

There's a good case for the belief that Uche will get fairer treatment from refs when coming on as a sub.     I tend to think referees have a pre-determined agenda with him when he starts but he may well sneak under the radar of refs as a sub.    

I feel sorry for Uche. He was given a thankless task of playing up front alone for a while, particularly lacking support while Naismith was out. He can be an asset off the bench like others have said, his runs with the ball taking us yards up the pitch are useful. A team playing with more confidence and creating more chances will of course suit him more. 

He’s built like a target man but for me he’s best suited wide left, gets more space out there and is able to run through defenders and get the ball in

13 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

It’s unlikely Naismith will be asked to play the full 90 minutes each game.

Big games

Let him play 70-80 mins then bring Uche on.

Smaller games

Play Uche for 60-70 mins then bring Naismith on.

Takes the pressure off Naismith and what in impact sub we have in the big man.

I think Stendel has plans for Uche. I trust he will get the best out of him.

we haven’t got any smaller games, they are all equally important , as is SN influence from the start 

tartofmidlothian

Honourable mention for Uche's fall today. If we can look back and laugh at this season, that will be the comedy highlight.

The big guy was a huge part of our comeback, though. Glad he's still ours.

1 minute ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Honourable mention for Uche's fall today. If we can look back and laugh at this season, that will be the comedy highlight.

The big guy was a huge part of our comeback, though. Glad he's still ours.

this one!

Apart from his Torvil and Dean moment the big man did well for us when he came on.

On 27/01/2020 at 12:11, BigAlim said:

He’s built like a target man but for me he’s best suited wide left, gets more space out there and is able to run through defenders and get the ball in

Yeah. He's not streetwise enough to play through the middle. Gets dragged into the physical side too easily by Centre backs. He's not getting fouls in this league because refs perceive him to be the biggest strongest player in the league therefore he should never end up on the deck. Its ridiculous, but the only argument I can come up with on why he gets nothing. 

Playing wide as you say gives him the space and if a CB wants to follow him then great, it gives Boyce or Naismith more room to operate. 

I could be wrong, but it seems like successful big lads - Benteke, Dost, Lukaku types don't seem to get as drawn in to the physical wrestling matches which Uche does. Perhaps if he looked to try to move into space he might start to get more decisions. Obviously, those players have ball skills Uche doesn't possess but nonetheless, the physical side isn't working for him because of the way officials view him, so its adapt or nothing for him. Making a conscious effort to focus on the football may be to his benefit.