Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• BackOfTheNet

• Cruyff

• Mr Elwood P

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, dryJTlaw said:

No he doesn't, hes a creator not scorer, leave that to Boycie

Very few clubs will keep strikers if they dont score and he himself wont wanna sit  on a bench

Edited by Hearts007

Personally I would get rid if we get good money for him he cannie hit a barn door  so we can get better in 

1 minute ago, grumpyespana said:

Personally I would get rid if we get good money for him he cannie hit a barn door  so we can get better in 

Yep i like uche but if ya dont score and the same goes for Washington,then the further you slip down the pecking order,for all uche's effort i'd rather replace with another striker that could put the ball in the net

Agree with others. If we start him he gets no fouls and "concedes" loads, but 20 mins against tiring defenders would make him someone to be truly feared - Imagine being run around and bumped by the likes of Boyce and Washington and then just as you are tiring a fresh Uche comes on!

I don’t like Uche, as a footballer. I love everything else about him tho. If Stendel can get a tune out Clare, Bozanic etx then I really hope he can do the same with Uche. 

I’ve been against selling him all along and couldn’t fathom why so many not only were happy to see him go but willing so. He don’t get score 20 a season but today shows how he can help a team retain possession and create space for those that will score. He’s immense.

mahgrassyshoes

Love big uche. Good squad player, capable of getting you 30, 40, 50 yards up the field with his brute strength. Bit of a cult hero. But if someone offers money for him, I’d take it. 

Play him wide running at defenders. He would terrorise them. 

He cannot play through the middle with his back to goal. 

Play to his strengths and he is a great option to have. 

Takeshi kovac

Didn't notice at the game but watching the highlights and when Naismith scores Uche is jumping about beside the goals 😆

He is still raw but I've no doubt Stendall will get a tune out of him as he has done with Clare and Boz

1 hour ago, Hearts007 said:

Yep i like uche but if ya dont score and the same goes for Washington,then the further you slip down the pecking order,for all uche's effort i'd rather replace with another striker that could put the ball in the net

This. Came on and did well today but he just doesn’t score enough as a striker and doesn’t get his head up enough to be effective out wide. 

I would rather play uche than Washington.  At least uche can hold the ball up and cause defences problems.  I fail to see what Washington brings to the team 

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Rods said:

Also was going bonkers behind the goal when we scored. 

Today he was playing like the first few games after he signed. 

Some real coaching will do this guy a world of good.

Absolutely, Stendel was a striker so can hopefully bring out the best in him.

1 minute ago, Jimw44 said:

I would rather play uche than Washington.  At least uche can hold the ball up and cause defences problems.  I fail to see what Washington brings to the team 

If it was a choice i'd keep Uche over him

He made an impact on Wednesday as well, yes we didn't score but he made a hell of a difference, chased down everything, I would keep as well, DS looks to have a knack of getting the best out of players, let's see what the big fellaini can do.

23 minutes ago, Jimw44 said:

I do like Washington’s energy and endeavour, still feel like we’ve not yet seen the best of him, but I actually think his style is best suited to running into behind the defence - issue for him is when we play with such a high line the opposition defence get deeper which means Washington doesn’t have the space to run into. Ikpeazu on the other hand does have the ability to keep the ball in tight spaces and take more than one defender away from their position which creates space for others (like Naismith, Boyce, one of the wingers) to run into or pass into for an opportunity to score. Ikpeazu should be ahead of Washington in my opinion, but I don’t want to see either go.

Would sell if we got the chance. I do like him, and he had a few nice touches when he came on,  but he doesn’t hold the ball up well enough often enough for me. He also cant score , which for me all forwards should be contributing to. 

He does have passion , so that might keep him in the managers thoughts 

I love Uche. Gives it 100% every game. Loves the Hearts. Scores at Easter Road. 

He needs to play with Boyce. Uche is never a goalscorer but he will work hard and occupy defenders. Someone like Boyce will thrive of that space.

Michael Owen played with Shearer, Rooney, Ronaldo, Raul. Says his best strike partner was Emile Heskey. That is what Uche needs to be for us

SomethingAboutObua

Rather than a centre forward or winger, what about a ball winning attacking midfielder/behind the striker. He can't score but he can actually tackle, he's spent his career learning how to be a striker, why not try him in midfield as someone who knows where the nearest striker will be. When we moved Sibbick to LB it was like replacing a wall with a bead door with Irving/Bozanic as the defensive mid (not saying they were bad overall, but Rangers took advantage of this), when we brought Uche on behind our strikers, suddenly Rangers couldn't play straight down the middle again. Maybe that's just wishful thinking he'd actually be good at that role though.

I'm happy for him to get 6 months to push into the team, what we've been missing for so long is 1 scoring striker who starts and options to play beside him, instead we've had 4 or 5 guys who don't know which role they'll be given on any given match day and don't regularly score e.g. Wighton, Naismith, MacLean and Clare last season all played winger, centre forward and number 10 with all mixes of two or three of them starting at some point. Uche himself was lone striker, then strike partner with Naismith, then he was a winger for MacLean in the middle,  then he's middle of a forward 3 of two guys who aren't wingers, then he plays wing on the opposite side, basically zero consistency in who does what.

Now with Boyce as our out and out starting striker, we can have Naismith beside him or in midfield, Washington beside him or on the wing, or our young wingers playing either side of him. Everyones either a striker, or plays their one secondary position around Boyce, no X player playing 3 different positions one week to the next. For Uche to stay and be a starter, he needs to become the best strike partner for Boyce and assister this club's ever seen to push Naismith into midfield, or change his secondary position to something like a different type of CAM, because he doesn't offer enough positive differences to get ahead of our current wing options, but he does bring brute strength, tackling and player knowledge that Irving/Bozanic/Walker/Meshino don't have. If he can make himself a good passer and a pass first than finish first type player, who knows where he'll be for us in 6 months.

Fly the Saltire
2 hours ago, Jimw44 said:

Washington did a power of work all over the pitch when he came on. Uche on high wages for a last 15 mins sub and neither player will score more than a couple of goals a season

3 hours ago, fila said:

Would sell if we got the chance. I do like him, and he had a few nice touches when he came on,  but he doesn’t hold the ball up well enough often enough for me. He also cant score , which for me all forwards should be contributing to. 

He does have passion , so that might keep him in the managers thoughts 

As someone who wants to keep them both let me ask you this, if you feel this way about Ikpeazu then what are your thoughts on Washington? As if your complaint is Ikpeazu doesn’t hold the ball up well then Washington certainly doesn’t, that’s not his game. Washington isn’t exactly prolific either, although came close today - yet his chance was funnily enough created by Ikpeazu’s powerful run to the byline and cut back, if Washington had scored I would certainly have said Ikpeazu had “contributed” to the goal.

Just curious on your thoughts, are you for keeping Washington or are you wanting rid of both?

Edited by BackOfTheNet

2 hours ago, Fly the Saltire said:

Washington did a power of work all over the pitch when he came on. Uche on high wages for a last 15 mins sub and neither player will score more than a couple of goals a season

Are we paying him a lot? He came from Cambridge, who don't pay much.

2 hours ago, R1874 said:

I love Uche. Gives it 100% every game. Loves the Hearts. Scores at Easter Road. 

He needs to play with Boyce. Uche is never a goalscorer but he will work hard and occupy defenders. Someone like Boyce will thrive of that space.

Michael Owen played with Shearer, Rooney, Ronaldo, Raul. Says his best strike partner was Emile Heskey. That is what Uche needs to be for us

Very good point. I try and make the point over and over that in the modern game you have to consider more than goals from your players in the attacking third. You need players that will get into that space, keep it in that space and by doing so allow others to join them which creates opportunities for others to find space and be found for a shot on goal. Ikpeazu dragging a ball down the wing occupies at least a full back, usually drags out a centre back or midfielder too. Means poachers (like Boyce) can survey the space and choose their runs wisely with more space and options to utilise.

Isn't it great that we now have so many attacking options that you have all managed to forget one.

Donis.

Under levein we had no attacking options other than hoofing it to Uche and hoping for the best.  SN was usually injured in fairness.

What a turnaround in a few short weeks.

2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

As someone who wants to keep them both let me ask you this, if you feel this way about Ikpeazu then what are your thoughts on Washington? As if your complaint is Ikpeazu doesn’t hold the ball up well then Washington certainly doesn’t, that’s not his game. Washington isn’t exactly prolific either, although came close today - yet his chance was funnily enough created by Ikpeazu’s powerful run to the byline and cut back, if Washington had scored I would certainly have said Ikpeazu had “contributed” to the goal.

Just curious on your thoughts, are you for keeping Washington or are you wanting rid of both?

Washington, hasn’t had the same amount of goal time, i would say he has potentially the better engine to play a high pressing pressure style of football . I have posted several times, i was amused that people thought that Washington coming back was going to turn us around , he hasn’t showed to much to get overly excited about, albeit, with limited game time .

To answer your question, if both left, I wouldn’t be to upset

5 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Whether your view of Uche is good or bad, the one thing I can tell you is that he scares the shit out of the OF defences

At Tynecastle....

And for me this isn’t enough....he has shown very little against the teams out with the OF, Aberdeen and Hibs. He just doesn’t give the same amount of effort and I feel it may be too late for him now.

The Mighty Thor

I'd release him back into the wilds of league two or the vanarama or wherever. 

Other than running around like a headless chicken for 5 minutes and playing the man when the ball is there to be won he offers nothing. 

Boyce showed more injured in 90 minutes than anyone that's been up top for us for the last two seasons. 

Hopefully we'll not see too much more of him in a starting 11.

Uche is a totally different option to bring off the bench against tired defences.  He is cumbersome with a high COG but he is still young and still learning.  I hope DS can see the potential in him.

I like marmite, too.

8 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Uche is a totally different option to bring off the bench against tired defences.  He is cumbersome with a high COG but he is still young and still learning.  I hope DS can see the potential in him.

I like marmite, too.

Think it would be really stupid to let him go . He can/has/does contribute a lot

We can't let him go unless we have a replacement in mind.  He is no longer a first pick but is a great option to bring off the bench especially with his work rate.    

10 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Think it would be really stupid to let him go . He can/has/does contribute a lot

Uche also takes 2 defenders out of the equation, giving Boyce and Naisy more room.

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Tasavallan said:

Uche also takes 2 defenders out of the equation, giving Boyce and Naisy more room.

agreed, I mean - he’s never going to develop incredible ability, but in the right circumstances and position he is very effective. He does make space for others.. 

The Mercer Takeover

If I had a choice I would be tempted to keep him, although not as a starter most weeks.

The change in style with him coming on yesterday totally bemused the Rangers back line. Just when they thought they had come to terms with a tiring Boyce, they must have thought, WTF is this... He needs to score more goals though.

Boyce will inevitably get injured or more likely suspended, so we need options.

Washington is a centre forward who simply doesn't score goals. I'd be tempted to let him go first, although I do think he would be more productive than Moore or Henderson, who are not yet the finished article.

Edited by The Mercer Takeover

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Tasavallan said:

agreed, I mean - he’s never going to develop incredible ability, but in the right circumstances and position he is very effective. He does make space for others.. 

As many others have said would be a very useful sub to bring on against tired legs but would he be satisfied with that amount of football? 

Our new style will suit him.  For a big lad he actually has really good feet and can take the ball in and hold it up. His weakness was he is such a unit he cant really jump so was absolutely wasted in leveinball long punts up the pitch but fire the ball into his feet he can turn a defender using his strength and with Boyce looking and Naisy lurking in support I think goals can come from this.  

Was actually impressed with all the subs yesterday that could of been miffed at not starting like Washington, but when he came on he was back making defensive tackles and using his energy all over the pitch.  Great to see. 

5 hours ago, fila said:

Washington, hasn’t had the same amount of goal time, i would say he has potentially the better engine to play a high pressing pressure style of football . I have posted several times, i was amused that people thought that Washington coming back was going to turn us around , he hasn’t showed to much to get overly excited about, albeit, with limited game time .

To answer your question, if both left, I wouldn’t be to upset

How many people actually would be?

51 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

If I had a choice I would be tempted to keep him, although not as a starter most weeks.

The change in style with him coming on yesterday totally bemused the Rangers back line. Just when they thought they had come to terms with a tiring Boyce, they must have thought, WTF is this... He needs to score more goals though.

Boyce will inevitably get injured or more likely suspended, so we need options.

Washington is a centre forward who simply doesn't score goals. I'd be tempted to let him go first, although I do think he would be more productive than Moore or Henderson, who are not yet the finished article.

couple that with Naismiths injury history,thats why we need at least another striker who can put the ball in the net and up till now that aint gonna be Uche,Washington or Maclean that's just quantity not quality.but would still keep Uche ahead of other 2 if that was the choice

Edited by Hearts007

It’s unlikely Naismith will be asked to play the full 90 minutes each game.

Big games

Let him play 70-80 mins then bring Uche on.

Smaller games

Play Uche for 60-70 mins then bring Naismith on.

Takes the pressure off Naismith and what in impact sub we have in the big man.

I think Stendel has plans for Uche. I trust he will get the best out of him.

2 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

It’s unlikely Naismith will be asked to play the full 90 minutes each game.

Big games

Let him play 70-80 mins then bring Uche on.

Smaller games

Play Uche for 60-70 mins then bring Naismith on.

Takes the pressure off Naismith and what in impact sub we have in the big man.

I think Stendel has plans for Uche. I trust he will get the best out of him.

Was thinking about Naisy earlier. He dropped Washington and Garrucio because he never wanted them to play too many games after being injured so long. I think Naisy might get limited game time in the next couple of weeks. Maybe skip the cup game or hauled off early in a few games.

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I'd personally take the first offer we get and sign a better player. 

Aye. I just wish he was as good as he is enthusiastic. His reaction to Naismiths goal is why we love him, just pure joy, no bitterness that he wasn’t on, celebrating like one of us.