Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

CavySlaveJambo
1 hour ago, ArcticJambo said:

First time I've seen the percentage figure being asterix-ed (tbf I haven't exactly been honing in on it daily) but I have wondered how they end up with such a high figure when the ~1000 +ives,  and the 14% equals roughly 7000 tests total, yet they chuck in that nearly 20K testes were undertaken. 

Cases are individuals and the percentage is individuals.  

however there tends to be more than 1 test per person. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The BMA has called on the government to get tougher on restrictions,  including mandatory mask wearing and tighter social distancing.

Well... maybe they just really enjoy seeing governments going on power trips and looking after election prospects.   Maybe they just agree with leaders that fun should be stopped.

28 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The BMA has called on the government to get tougher on restrictions,  including mandatory mask wearing and tighter social distancing.

Well... maybe they just really enjoy seeing governments going on power trips and looking after election prospects.   Maybe they just agree with leaders that fun should be stopped.

Good 

no excuse to not wear a mask

If we don't find a way to deal with this - other than shutting everything down - the recession that comes will make the 1980s look like a boom period for the UK economy. 

21 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

If we don't find a way to deal with this - other than shutting everything down - the recession that comes will make the 1980s look like a boom period for the UK economy. 

Not very clued up about it all money wise but the only reason I can think we are not is because the whole world is fecked.

2 hours ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Cases are individuals and the percentage is individuals.  

however there tends to be more than 1 test per person. 

Yes, that's the impression I formed from my scan-read.  I guess my point/question is if they've actually just tested 7000 folks then say that instead of giving the impression that they've tested almost 20K.

You see i've got no idea if they have 1000 folks testing positive or 1000 swabs testing positive, or for that matter 6000 folks testing neggy, or was it their swabs.  is it them just screwing up the procedure or are they taking multiple tests of folks testing positive (or negative) to make sure.

just set protocol and present on actuals.  of course this may all be there in the fine print and i'm sure it makes sense :rollseyes: but ffs make it easier for joe p to understand it, it might actually help their cause ... presumably!

2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Im

Puzzled by this graph 

9DA8B60D-C498-42C2-8F2F-EB8F89751478.jpeg

The way that Covid patients in hospital were defined was revamped in early September, resulting in a stricter definition and thus a reduction in those classed as being in hospital with Covid. There's a note under the graph with a link to an explanation.

Edited by redjambo

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

CAB163E8-4CB7-4A06-AD2B-01E59FDA4F6E.jpeg

You used a lot of ink to print that. Not really environmentally or economically efficient of you. 

Out of interest, where did you stick this up? 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

You used a lot of ink to print that. Not really environmentally or economically efficient of you. 

Out of interest, where did you stick this up? 

I saw it - I did not put it up.

adambraejambo
2 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

CAB163E8-4CB7-4A06-AD2B-01E59FDA4F6E.jpeg

What a load of tosh. Who sells their dead grandmothers clothes. Anything in good condition you give to charity. 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

His key word searches on Google are getting desperate if he's scraping the barrel with these results. 😂

It's all just a cry for attention if you ask me, sad really, more to be pitied than anything else.

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It's all just a cry for attention if you ask me, sad really, more to be pitied than anything else.

giphy.gif&ehk=t0UWYMt8Utth5HAwYKxX3NbxaN

1 hour ago, ArcticJambo said:

Yes, that's the impression I formed from my scan-read.  I guess my point/question is if they've actually just tested 7000 folks then say that instead of giving the impression that they've tested almost 20K.

You see i've got no idea if they have 1000 folks testing positive or 1000 swabs testing positive, or for that matter 6000 folks testing neggy, or was it their swabs.  is it them just screwing up the procedure or are they taking multiple tests of folks testing positive (or negative) to make sure.

just set protocol and present on actuals.  of course this may all be there in the fine print and i'm sure it makes sense :rollseyes: but ffs make it easier for joe p to understand it, it might actually help their cause ... presumably!

It is a little odd the way it’s presented? Given they are daily figures I assume they aren’t doing multiple Tests on the same person in the same day. From the notes I think it means if you have been tested before whether it was yesterday or 3 months ago you aren’t counted when working out the % of positive tests. The asterisk next to the % of positive tests is because  they are reviewing The method as they anticipate the number of people having multiple tests going up over time. So the % of positive tests of all people tested today is around 5% but it’s 14% for the people tested today for the first time. Confusing!

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

The way that Covid patients in hospital were defined was revamped in early September, resulting in a stricter definition and thus a reduction in those classed as being in hospital with Covid. There's a note under the graph with a link to an explanation.

Thanks I just copied it without reading the link but a friend on FB noted the jiggery pokery with the numbers . ? 

8 minutes ago, flogel41 said:

It is a little odd the way it’s presented? Given they are daily figures I assume they aren’t doing multiple Tests on the same person in the same day. From the notes I think it means if you have been tested before whether it was yesterday or 3 months ago you aren’t counted when working out the % of positive tests. The asterisk next to the % of positive tests is because  they are reviewing The method as they anticipate the number of people having multiple tests going up over time. So the % of positive tests of all people tested today is around 5% but it’s 14% for the people tested today for the first time. Confusing!

:lol: aye.

e: I should add tat when we as a family went to Edinburgh airport we had to self administer because of demand and time constraints, and this was prob 6 weeks ago, not long after the schools went back. My son needed a second swab (tho not a test kit with unique identifier) as he didn't quite get the first effort right.  Actually writing that now, not sure it adds anything! ohh well.

Edited by ArcticJambo
och, waffle really!

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

“If a person in hospital gets a positive test result - ie they caught it in the ward - they are then added as a "new admission" in the numbers. They removed patients that had not been tested for 28 days then retested them and added them back in. You can have a positive PCR Covid test over 3 months after you recovered from Covid19 because the PCR test is just looking for a scrap of viral debris that it can find the coronavirus RNA sequence in. It can't take that from an intact virus, it needs to come from one your body has already destroyed. Whole thing is a farce. “ 

43 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

“If a person in hospital gets a positive test result - ie they caught it in the ward - they are then added as a "new admission" in the numbers. They removed patients that had not been tested for 28 days then retested them and added them back in. You can have a positive PCR Covid test over 3 months after you recovered from Covid19 because the PCR test is just looking for a scrap of viral debris that it can find the coronavirus RNA sequence in. It can't take that from an intact virus, it needs to come from one your body has already destroyed. Whole thing is a farce. “ 

What a corrupt practice. All to manipulate the public in to believing Covid is worse than it is. Again, the question that crops up is ..why?  Chris Whitty tried to brainwash northern mayors and council leaders in to believing that 41% of cases were linked to hospitality.  PHE confirmed today that only 3.3% of outbreaks last week related to that setting.  It was also confirmed that only 5% of those contacted by track and trace last week had come into contact with a positive case in a hospitality setting. As you say, the whole thing is a complete farce.  North England officials now pushing to make last orders at 10pm, allowing restaurants to house 2 sittings. Hopefully they tell the govt to bolt if they try to follow the draconian partial lockdown measures we are now facing.

Adam_the_legend
54 minutes ago, steve123 said:

https://www.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/devi-sridhar-lockdowns-are-not-answer-2999384

This is interesting given she is a Scottish Government advisor 🤔

I think she’ll be getting quietly removed from her advisor role. Was on question time a couple of weeks ago and was asked a question about students going back to uni. She said she’d submitted a recommendation for mass testing on all students and it was entirely predictable what happened.

10 hours ago, theshed said:

Go back to work, don’t go back to work, go to the pub, don’t go to the pub, meet your friends, don’t meet your friends. Is that clear enough for you? and in two weeks we will do the same again 

This

CavySlaveJambo
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

You can have a positive PCR Covid test over 3 months after you recovered from Covid19 because the PCR test is just looking for a scrap of viral debris that it can find the coronavirus RNA sequence in.

PCR is not a new method of DNA/RNA testing.  It is used in the criminal justice system, it is used in viral load testing in HIV or for the virus in young babies.  Are you saying that the same method is problematic in those cases? Because it is the exact same test. 

And best practice in other countries is two negative PCR tests to say you are clear of the virus. 

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

It's no longer the public that looks to be afraid. It's the governments. If they are taking these measures with such little publicly-shared evidence, what is it that they know about this virus that they are not letting on? They're either incompetent, corrupt, or not sharing the whole truth. In any of the three situations, how anyone can have faith in a single word uttered by any of them is beyond me.

They are certainly not sharing the truth and it is indeed corrupt to inflict economic damage under false pretences. They know where it is spreading; institutional settings like hospitals,  care homes, uni campuses but still they target hospitality.  

Good and well reasoned post, @jonesy. I don't think the authors of these tweets will have been referring to anyone as thoughtful about all of this as you, nor would they call your justified criticisms, "smearing."

7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Any death is a sad and emotional occasion, and I doubt you'd find anyone against unnecessary CV19-based restrictions offering anything other than understanding and sympathy for those who have died with/from CV19. 

But bringing up emotional tweets from people whose family members have died does not constitute an effective argument for or against CV19-based restrictions on the everyday lives of the majority of the population and the subtly vindictive approach the governments in this country have now taken after their initial strategies failed (probably partly because they didn't have any realistic projected outcome).

The three people I know who have died since March (from alcoholism, loneliness and cancer, FWIW) were all negatively impacted by lockdown, and their deaths, while not directly caused by it, were certainly hastened as a result of government measures to control/tackle/suppress/eliminate(!) a single virus. As far as I am aware, evidence would suggest that the majority of people included in the CV-19 death stats have a similar relationship with the virus in that it brought on or exacerbated other issues. 

Politicians need holding to account more than ever in situations like these, and their inconsistent, haphazard, and let's face it, comically inept approach to dealing with the situation cannot and should not be dismissed as 'smearing' or politically-motivated. As the representatives of a country in which a free press and a democratic system are two of the most valuable constituent components, they should be welcoming the challenge of scrutiny, not launching divide and conquer/batten down the hatches approaches.

The EEN reporting that visitors to the cancer ward at the Western where "several" people died do not routinely check visitors' temperature. FFS, I get checked when I go into Montpeliers!!.  Also policy to wear masks on the ward but it's up to the individual ward staff "whether it is enforced or not". WTF. You couldn't make this sh*t up.  Cancer patients are more vulnerable than anyone yet are being completely disregarded during this sh*t show.

Nucky Thompson
8 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Good and well reasoned post, @jonesy. I don't think the authors of these tweets will have been referring to anyone as thoughtful about all of this as you, nor would they call your justified criticisms, "smearing."

Most genuine people who lose loved ones won't tweet about it 

4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The EEN reporting that visitors to the cancer ward at the Western where "several" people died do not routinely check visitors' temperature. FFS, I get checked when I go into Montpeliers!!.  Also policy to wear masks on the ward but it's up to the individual ward staff "whether it is enforced or not". WTF. You couldn't make this sh*t up.  Cancer patients are more vulnerable than anyone yet are being completely disregarded during this sh*t show.

Montys?  You get checked going into there, now?

Our local for many years, my dear old mums wake was in there (free of charge from the wonderful folk that are the Montpelier group),

We have not been in Edinburgh since January, so didn’t know this sort of stuff.  I take it places like the Black Ivy are the same?

Sorry, Enzo.  Just using you for inside info!  👍

4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Most genuine people who lose loved ones won't tweet about it 

Yeah I think not policing how people deal with grief is probably the way to go.

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Cheers, @Justin Z - social media such as Twitter a little too black and white for something as emotional as grief rants. Still, sorry to hear about that lad's cousin passing.

Agreed, and likewise, sorry to hear about the folks you knew.

Edited by Justin Z

51 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

121247535_1603695426470649_2401978579585047995_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=gtuTfFxHnTEAX8qmLHE&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-1.fna&oh=ebec48ff087d8af160ce6780700605b5&oe=5FA71D87

Not everybody who disagree with lockdown is a “ denier “ really pisses me off this labelling . Not the best response lampung someone who has a different view . 

Edited by Robbofan99

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Yeah I think not policing how people deal with grief is probably the way to go.

Agreed, and likewise, sorry to hear about the folks you knew.

Tweeting about a loved ones death to down people protesting about the SG doesn't wear it I'm afraid.

Bad taste 

7 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Montys?  You get checked going into there, now?

Our local for many years, my dear old mums wake was in there (free of charge from the wonderful folk that are the Montpelier group),

We have not been in Edinburgh since January, so didn’t know this sort of stuff.  I take it places like the Black Ivy are the same?

Sorry, Enzo.  Just using you for inside info!  👍

That was a great gesture from the group for your Mum's wake , Morgan.  I've not been to Black Ivy since this started but did try to get an afternoon booking a few weeks ago but they were full. Montys have a great set up, with screens on wheels between the restaurant tables and they have kept a few, socially distanced,  bar stools if you're just in for a beer. But, yes,  temperature check at the door before you get in.  Have spoken to big Dave Macpherson a couple of times down at Cloisters, you will know he was a regular back in the late 90s up at Montys. A great guy that enjoys talking about his time at Hearts. He drinks with Roger Baird,  ex - Scotland rugby international . Hope you manage to get back to Tynie, and Montys, once this is all over.

4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

That was a great gesture from the group for your Mum's wake , Morgan.  I've not been to Black Ivy since this started but did try to get an afternoon booking a few weeks ago but they were full. Montys have a great set up, with screens on wheels between the restaurant tables and they have kept a few, socially distanced,  bar stools if you're just in for a beer. But, yes,  temperature check at the door before you get in.  Have spoken to big Dave Macpherson a couple of times down at Cloisters, you will know he was a regular back in the late 90s up at Montys. A great guy that enjoys talking about his time at Hearts. He drinks with Roger Baird,  ex - Scotland rugby international . Hope you manage to get back to Tynie, and Montys, once this is all over.

Really appreciate your reply, Enzo.

Just what I was interested in, informative and very kind of you.

I had many pints with Big Slim in Montys, The Living Room , The Kitchen and at Myreside.

Only been in Cloisters a handful of times in my life, didn’t know the big man drank there.

Thank you very much.

12 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Really appreciate your reply, Enzo.

Just what I was interested in, informative and very kind of you.

I had many pints with Big Slim in Montys, The Living Room , The Kitchen and at Myreside.

Only been in Cloisters a handful of times in my life, didn’t know the big man drank there.

Thank you very much.

You're welcome Morgan👍. Take care.

51 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Tweeting about a loved ones death to down people protesting about the SG doesn't wear it I'm afraid.

Bad taste 

Agreed

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Bad taste 

It’s a shame.

He was probably having a pop at the experts on Kickback.

I must admit I'm a bit all over the place with this now. I think the PCR tests are hopeless so pay little notice to the number of "cases".

The rising number of hospitalisations is the bit that's concerning me, according to Traveling Tabby there are more in hospital today than there were when we went into full lockdown.

3 minutes ago, graygo said:

I must admit I'm a bit all over the place with this now. I think the PCR tests are hopeless so pay little notice to the number of "cases".

The rising number of hospitalisations is the bit that's concerning me, according to Traveling Tabby there are more in hospital today than there were when we went into full lockdown.

Maybe that is true but certainly not the same death rate. 

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

The statistics can be twisted to suit any agenda, and are subject to change due to the way tests, cases and deaths are counted. They renders them - and any decisions made off the back of them - almost meaningless. 

I agree with that but it's none of those things can influence the number in hospital who have tested positive or the number in ICU. The numbers are definitely climbing but not sure how those statistics can be twisted.

ps. JIH - please don't claim that this is because we are not all wearing masks.

20 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Maybe that is true but certainly not the same death rate. 

Yes, although they are rising. Not like they were at the start due to better treatment in hospital but still increasing.

7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Sorry man, no idea. Positive tests shouldn't be a worry, they're testing far more folk and more often than back in the spring.

ps. maybe JIH could post his fantasy pic of that bloke pissing on him again. It appears to be his fave.

Like I said  "I think the PCR tests are hopeless so pay little notice to the number of "cases".

I really couldn't care less how high the positive test numbers go, I'm also not particularly worried about catching the virus. I'm more worried about the government using these numbers to enforce another lockdown.

Captain Sausage

I see the wee cockroach Margaret Ferrier is refusing to quit. Peak hypocrisy. Hopefully Sturgeon bullets her from the party and the press keeps the pressure on her. 

In other news, Britain’s most incompetent person (close run contest these days) Matt Hancock is rumoured to have broken his own rules by drinking beyond 10pm in the parliamentary smoking room. How that twat hasn’t been sacked 10x over is beyond me. 

20 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

I see the wee cockroach Margaret Ferrier is refusing to quit. Peak hypocrisy. Hopefully Sturgeon bullets her from the party and the press keeps the pressure on her. 

In other news, Britain’s most incompetent person (close run contest these days) Matt Hancock is rumoured to have broken his own rules by drinking beyond 10pm in the parliamentary smoking room. How that twat hasn’t been sacked 10x over is beyond me. 

Telling covid testing jokes. 

29 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

She's already been bulleted

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic