Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

6 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Sturgeon is finished. Has been for years. 

Why anyone would choose a Blairite type person to represent the future is beyond me. 

But you lot do love your losers. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nucky Thompson
7 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

When I left Scotland in 2012 if memory serves the SNP weren't quite the force they are now. From here they appear to be a force in Westminster far less Scotland.

And I have even seen talk of them extending their influence by casting their net into the North of England where allegedly they have some degree of support. And that may be true.

The SNP are irrelevant at Westminster with the Tories having such a big majority

The SNP don't have enough support in the south of Scotland never mind the north of England.:lol:

46 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

While the thread is clogged up with all this SNP good/bad pish I nearly missed the post about the actual topic. 

My sister is a public health statistician, not an expert on epidemiology, but she’s a smart cookie and knows way more about this than 99% of us. Her take she says is summed up well in this article about rising infection but not hospital admission. You make up your own mind.

How the shape of Scotland's Covid-19 outbreak is changing https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54059199

That is an interesting article and partly goes into the area I was talking about.   The as yet unknown effects of the onward infections arising out of currently rising infections in younger groups.    I strongly maintain that it is premature to think that hospital and death figures remaining low after the rising infection numbers from the past month or so shows any evidence of the virus having changed for the better.

Keeping an open mind on the matter (some others should try it some time).   I suspect there will be a corresponding rise in severe cases and deaths eventually.   Hopefully this does not happen but I certainly wont be gambling the house on it.    

I know some other posters don't like it and tend to screw their wee faces up,   but I repeat what I said.    New positive cases and the granularity of how they appear over age groups.   That is the key area to track.    Not yet ICU and deaths.

Edited by Victorian

Seasonal flu vaccination.   Surely to buggery this must be very high on the to-do-list for everyone.   The chat about the unknown picture of a co-infection of flu-CV is a warning.    I get the flu jab anyway as I've had a couple of bad flus before.    

5 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Vast majority of experts are warning this is still as dangerous, hopefully we get some confirmation soon that the virus has changed and isn’t as much of a risk as April, but we can’t just assume that from the statistics 

I think you're right.   There is complexity to the ever changing evolution of the epidemic.   It's extremely foolish to ignore warnings,  possibilities put forward,  etc.    I know people seem determined to put faith in notions they believe to support a less dangerous virus or whatever.    Naively plucking figures out to supposedly prove their prematurely formed conclusions.    But it's way,  way too early.

My advice is for people to avoid painting themselves into the expectations corner.   

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

While the thread is clogged up with all this SNP good/bad pish I nearly missed the post about the actual topic. 

My sister is a public health statistician, not an expert on epidemiology, but she’s a smart cookie and knows way more about this than 99% of us. Her take she says is summed up well in this article about rising infection but not hospital admission. You make up your own mind.

How the shape of Scotland's Covid-19 outbreak is changing https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54059199

Does she work for PHS? Just being nosey. 

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-infection-rate-doubling-every-121854337.html

Coronavirus infections are surging among the over-fifties

"Until Friday, it looked as if the rise in infections, driven principally by young adults, was not yet affecting the most vulnerable older groups.

However, the new PHE figures appear to justify experts’ fears by showing recent increases in hospital admissions among people aged 60 and over.

There was a 20 per cent increase in Covid-19-related admissions last week compared with the week before among those aged 60 to 75, a 72 per cent increase among 75 to 84-year-olds, and a 67 per cent increase among those aged 85 and over."

"Until Friday, it looked as if the rise in infections, driven principally by young adults, was not yet affecting the most vulnerable older groups. However, the new PHE figures appear to justify experts’ fears by showing recent increases in hospital admissions among people aged 60 and over."

Edited by Ray Gin

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-infection-rate-doubling-every-121854337.html

"Until Friday, it looked as if the rise in infections, driven principally by young adults, was not yet affecting the most vulnerable older groups.

However, the new PHE figures appear to justify experts’ fears by showing recent increases in hospital admissions among people aged 60 and over.

There was a 20 per cent increase in Covid-19-related admissions last week compared with the week before among those aged 60 to 75, a 72 per cent increase among 75 to 84-year-olds, and a 67 per cent increase among those aged 85 and over."

"Until Friday, it looked as if the rise in infections, driven principally by young adults, was not yet affecting the most vulnerable older groups. However, the new PHE figures appear to justify experts’ fears by showing recent increases in hospital admissions among people aged 60 and over."

Well there you go.   Let's put the bunting away for now.

25 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Well there you go.   Let's put the bunting away for now.

As I proposed some time ago, lock down the vulnerable until a vaccine is found .

(they can wander out if they wish, and they know the risks, so it is up to them)

otherwise, back to normal folks.

8 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

As I proposed some time ago, lock down the vulnerable until a vaccine is found .

(they can wander out if they wish, and they know the risks, so it is up to them)

Depends how you define "the vulnerable".    I doubt that can be limited to the over 65s and those with specific conditions.    If you buy into the theory that larger numbers of a young age group (say 16 to early 20s) are being infected,  spreading it to a wider and wider pool,   it surely stands to reason that a rather sizable number of parents (perhaps aged 35 to early/mid 50s) are in the firing line.     

Edited by Victorian

Montgomery Brewster
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Seasonal flu vaccination.   Surely to buggery this must be very high on the to-do-list for everyone.   The chat about the unknown picture of a co-infection of flu-CV is a warning.    I get the flu jab anyway as I've had a couple of bad flus before.    

Your spot on about the flu. 

I had a bad flu 5 years ago, in bed for 4 weeks , off work for 6 weeks and couldn’t train for 6 months.

just get the flu jab people - I’m already booked in for early October 

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

See this is why we still need the briefings, LESS, we need to get out less not more. 

Did you go out when you were in Greece or did you lock yourself in your hotel room?

Ken this going out and about and not hiding away in a bunker business?   I'd quite like to carry on being able to go out and about doing stuff.    If only we had some kind of country governing organisations setting out some form of rules to enable that to happen.   If only we had the ability as a society to understand the purpose of some limitations to what can be done in order to avoid much worse restrictions.

Just floating an idea out there.

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Why are there no numbers just percentages?

20% of 5 people or maybe or 72% of 25 people doesn't make it so dramatic does it?

Nucky Thompson
4 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Why’s that relevant?

Because you're saying people should go out less when you went on holiday to Greece during a pandemic.

Do you not think that's a bit hypocritical?

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

I like how the " experts" say there has been a 20% admission to hospital of older people over 60 but they dont say the exact amount. hmmmm ????

57 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Its the obvious strategy. Let people make their own risk assessment. 

4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Why are there no numbers just percentages?

20% of 5 people or maybe or 72% of 25 people doesn't make it so dramatic does it?

Exactly my point Nucky.  Doesnt make much of a headline if they say the numbers doesnt it ?

1 minute ago, Robbofan99 said:

Its the obvious strategy. Let people make their own risk assessment. 

It takes a special type of ignorance to spout this nonsense.    A strategy of personal choice does not deal with spread of infection.   People can make their own choices to risk being infected.   They cannot choose to not infect.    A consequence of a personal choice strategy is that you deny people the choice of limiting their risk.   You risk even more businesses going bust.   You risk even more jobs being lost.   You risk even more lives from non covid illnesses.

Rancid ignorance and stupidity.

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Nope. I followed all the correct guidelines and more, if everyone had kept on doing that we would not have to be going out less. 

In all the places I've been to here, everyone is following the correct guidelines. Apart from the cluster in Aberdeen, the rise in infections seem to be in households.

People shouldn't be going out less, they should be going about their business within the rules

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It takes a special type of ignorance to spout this nonsense.    A strategy of personal choice does not deal with spread of infection.   People can make their own choices to risk being infected.   They cannot choose to not infect.    A consequence of a personal choice strategy is that you deny people the choice of limiting their risk.   You risk even more businesses going bust.   You risk even more jobs being lost.   You risk even more lives from non covid illnesses.

Rancid ignorance and stupidity.

You must have no brain if you cant make your own risk assessment. Condescending bollocks from you as per usual.

Just now, Robbofan99 said:

You must have no brain if you cant make your own risk assessment. Condescending bollocks from you as per usual.

You really are an imbecile.   I can make my own choices or risk assessment.    Nothing in what I said suggested otherwise.    You've ignored the inconvenient reality that the personal choices of people have consequences for other people.   Person A can decide to take more risks but they cannot choose to be no risk to other people.

Everyone in society deserves equal rights.   The rights of some people to do as they choose do not override the rights of some other people to avoid the virus,  avoid a full lockdown,  avoid losing their job.

The only approach is dynamic rules and restrictions + people following the rules + people having consideration for others.

Nucky Thompson
14 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Jason Leitch on now. Off the Ball.

His celebrity status his taken off throughout this pandemic, he's never off BBC breakfast either

1 hour ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

I had a bad flu 5 years ago, in bed for 4 weeks , off work for 6 weeks and couldn’t train for 6 months.

1 hour ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

I get it every year and never had the flu in years so it must be effective , touch wood 

6 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Exciting news for some. U.K. govt considering setting up a grass line in relation to COVID breaches. 

Ahh what an age to be alive. 

Dearie me what a time to be living , now we know what it was like to be living in East Germany during the Cold War 🥵

4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

His celebrity status his taken off throughout this pandemic, he's never off BBC breakfast either

Probably talks more sense about fit baw . Least he was honest about the flawed PCR tests 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I get it every year and never had the flu in years so it must be effective , touch wood 

Strangely I've probably had Flu once.

I'm supposed to get a flu jab but have resisted it

However I'm considering this year.

6 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

He is good and explains everything concisely and clearly in terms everyone can understand.

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I was like you at first, I was eligible but never got it regularly till 4 years ago.

I don't think I've ever had flu in my life and I've not even had a cold in about 3 years

5 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I’d recommend it . No real

side effects as such just mild fever and sore arm 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I was like you at first, I was eligible but never got it regularly till 4 years ago.

I don't think I've ever had flu in my life and I've not even had a cold in about 3 years

Are you quite happy about getting it now? 

5 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

He is good and explains everything concisely and clearly in terms everyone can understand.

He waffles and makes statements that have clearly been shown to be nonsense

He had to be corrected by his boss due to opening his mouth too much and promising more than can be delivered

He may well be an expert but he is no public speaking expert and consistently looks on the bright side and not on the right side

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Are you quite happy about getting it now? 

Aye no probs. I've never had any reaction to it before.

I would get the covid one as soon as it's available too

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

Aye no probs. I've never had any reaction to it before.

I would get the covid one as soon as it's available too

👍

18 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Dearie me what a time to be living , now we know what it was like to be living in East Germany during the Cold War 🥵

I don't think there is much chance of you disappearing during the night never to be seen again...

Governor Tarkin
17 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I get one every year with my regular innoculations/boosters on account of the amount of travelling I do. Never had any reaction at all to it so would recommend. 👍

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I get one every year with my regular innoculations/boosters on account of the amount of travelling I do. Never had any reaction at all to it so would recommend. 👍

👍

23 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

He had to be corrected by his boss due to opening his mouth too much and promising more than can be delivered

He may well be an expert but he is no public speaking expert and consistently looks on the bright side and not on the right side

Rubbish. 

1 minute ago, Boy Daniel said:

Rubbish. 

What is rubbish about it ?

He had to be told off / corrected by his boss..fact

He looks on the bright side and whilst he is entitled to think that way the facts are not backing him up.....I'd rather he kept his thoughts to himself and publicly made factual statements not if buts and maybes to make us feel good

An opinion is not fact  and you can certainly differ from mine re his actions and pronouncements

33 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

I think he made a few mistakes at the beginning re social gatherings but he is an excellent communicator and presumably that's why he is courted by the media. 

I'm not aware of any recent "nonsense" from him but perhaps you can clarify your statement.

Currently in a boozer up town.  Been there past few weeks and they ran a tab for drinks.  Not today - apparently there have been too many walk outs.

Also a third of the people on the bus weren't wearing masks.  Good old useless LRT washing their hands of the rules, which is more than their customers are doing.

I think we will be in full lockdown again by mid October, and the irony is the covidiots mouthing off about refusing to wear face masks will be the first to complain.

AlphonseCapone
56 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I agree it's a bit creepy but comparing it to East Germany is stupid mate. 

9 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Currently in a boozer up town.  Been there past few weeks and they ran a tab for drinks.  Not today - apparently there have been too many walk outs.

Also a third of the people on the bus weren't wearing masks.  Good old useless LRT washing their hands of the rules, which is more than their customers are doing.

I think we will be in full lockdown again by mid October, and the irony is the covidiots mouthing off about refusing to wear face masks will be the first to complain.

If you are going to the pub you cant be that worried about the lack of face masks on the bus.

Samuel Camazzola
16 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

All the face nappy law has done is allow this sort of nonsense. 

newFile-1.jpg

Louis Vuitton is launching a luxury face shield that provides a fashionable alternative to the traditional utilitarian form of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).

The LV Shield, as it’s been called, can double up as a cap and costs £750.

£750? What's it made off? 😂 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic