Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, graygo said:

Tests picking up old or non infectious virus particles, no danger will they admit to this.

Professor Leitch just the other day on a video clip that was posted a few pages back said the test picks up live and dead Covid19 virus traces by identifying the genetic material of it. He it was rubbish in that it couldn’t distinguish between but they are working to make it work better in that respect.

1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

We need 5 times that though!

Is there anyone on here who still hasn't downloaded the App? (Obviously you have to live in Scotland and not have a Nokia 800)

The Dr was just say, para phrasing here but the more that sign up the better. 

More than 600,000 people have now downloaded the Protect Scotland mobile phone contact tracing app, Nicola Sturgeon said.

But she said for it to be “as effective as possible, to help us in the fight against Covid and also help us live a bit more normally, we need as many people across Scotland to download it and use it”.

The First Minister said the new app would enhance the existing contact tracing system.

Sh said that “one of the crucial things about it is it helps to reduce the time it takes to notify contacts”, saying it could give “almost immediate notification” to people if someone they had been in contact with had tested positive for Covid-19.

Ms Sturgeon said the numbers signing up to use the app had been “excellent” and “probably beyond our initial expectations”.

But she added: “We’ve got to keep that going, we’ve got to keep the numbers growing, because the more of us who download and use it, the more effective this app will be.”

Ainsley Harriott
6 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Is there anyone on here who still hasn't downloaded the App? (Obviously you have to live in Scotland and not have a Nokia 800)

No danger that shite will be getting added to my phone. I need to space for smut and football manager 

7 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

You don't have to live in Scotland. Even if you are visiting they are asking you to download it. 

Dennis Reynolds

35 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

This thread and link to a paper seems to suggest the cycle threshold for the tests is a massive issue and creating a huge amount of false positive results. 

I'm not going to pretend to understand this fully, but someone who knows more about these things might be able to offer an interpretation.

If what's being suggested is true, it's pretty worrying and would certainly back up the views of Jason Leith on the PCR tests being rubbish. 

28 minutes ago, graygo said:

Tests picking up old or non infectious virus particles, no danger will they admit to this.

This trial was carried out by a French doctor who has been banging the hydroxychloroquine drum for quite a while. Quit the French scientific panel without ever attending a meeting. Not that he should be dismissed out of hand because of that but it certainly doesn't help.

With regards to the study, he's using a completely different PCR process than used in all other french hospitals. To hold the this up as comparable is wrong. A completely different process.

One limitation of our work is that it cannot be extrapolated to other hospital centers since they use different systems of sample transport, of RNA extraction, and of PCR with different primers and probes; i.e. it has been suggested that sensitivity of amplification based on Gene E detection would be less sensitive than ORF1ab or N genes. We propose that each center perform its own correlation between culture results and viral RNA load from patients’ samples.

Albeit the point still stands though. Measuring infectivity and viral load is something that requires further analysis.

A total of 175 people have tested positive for coronavirus across Scotland in the past 24 hours, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said.

She told the Scottish Government’s coronavirus briefing 22,214 people have now tested positive for the virus in Scotland, up from 22,039 on Thursday.

These cases are 2.7% of people newly tested, up from 1.9% the previous day.

Ms Sturgeon said no more deaths of confirmed patients have been recorded in the past 24 hours and this toll remains at 2,499.

Of the new cases, provisional figures indicate 80 are in Greater Glasgow and Clyde, 39 in Lanarkshire and 24 in Lothian.

She said the situation in Lanarkshire is “causing particular concern” and consideration is being given to whether additional restrictions may have to applied.

The First Minister said there are 269 people in hospital confirmed to have the virus, up by three in 24 hours.

Of these patients, eight were in intensive care, a rise of one.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

No danger that shite will be getting added to my phone. I need to space for smut and football manager 

That's the spirit.

😷

11 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I don't think anyone needs to divulge on a forum like this whether or not they have downloaded the app. 

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I don't think anyone needs to divulge on a forum like this whether or not they have downloaded the app. 

Or anywhere else for that matter.

15 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

There will be a few on here who refuse to download it for some insane conspiracy bull*** reason or because they think they are claiming some sort of victory over Sturgeon by not doing so.

4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

There will be a few on here who refuse to download it for some insane conspiracy bull*** reason or because they think they are claiming some sort of victory over Sturgeon by not doing so.

I tired to down load it out of curiosity but I’ve an outdated IOS system on my phone so I couldn’t . They should have thought about that surely or maybe we need to buy the latest iPhone ! Not that am a conspiracy theorist at all . 😂

7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

:cornette:

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Exactly. A lot of online booking functions have been set at a maximum of six covers for a while. Two separate bookings will accommodate this. 👍 

We've been doing this since pubs and restaurants opened back up. Everywhere has been more than happy to give us adjacent tables. 

Governor Tarkin
16 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

14 minutes ago, graygo said:

Or anywhere else for that matter.

"Oh look, the Robinsons at number 4 haven't downloaded the App."

exyfUfT7u8HluIYw.jpg

not seen it mentioned but could have missed it, an app similar to the nhs scotland one for england and wales and it also (not sure if the scotland one does) has a function where you can scan a QR code when you go to a restuarant to record you were there to help with contact tracing

the england and wales app is being released on 24th sep

Edited by milky_26

3 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

not seen it mentioned but could have missed it, an app similar to the nhs scotland one for england and wales and it also (not sure if the scotland one does) has a function where you can scan a QR code when you go to a restuarant to record you were there to help with contact tracing

Yeah I have used QR codes in restaurants up here. Don’t need the App to use them. 

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

That's what you do in Costa when you are sitting in, although  I don't know where the info is registered.

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

That's what you do in Costa when you are sitting in, although  I don't know where the info is registered.

Costco only. 

There is no national track and trace app for England and Wales. 

1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

Costco only. 

There is no national track and trace app for England and Wales. 

it is released on 24th sep

edit, i meant to include that in my earlier post but somehow missed it

Edited by milky_26

Samuel Camazzola
18 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

We've been doing this since pubs and restaurants opened back up. Everywhere has been more than happy to give us adjacent tables. 

Someone is going to be seated there so it makes no difference if it's a group from a larger family. It'll continue to be the approach for many going forward too. 👍 

Just now, milky_26 said:

it is released on 24th sep

edit, i meant to include that in my earlier post but somehow missed it

Ah I see. I won't hold my breath 😂😂😂

23 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I tired to down load it out of curiosity but I’ve an outdated IOS system on my phone so I couldn’t . They should have thought about that surely or maybe we need to buy the latest iPhone ! Not that am a conspiracy theorist at all . 😂

It's meant to be compatible with iPhone 6s and newer. The 6s came out 5 years ago. How old is your phone?

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I was only inviting those that wished to discuss their concerns with the App to have a discussion about it, shocking thing for me to do on a discussion forum on a thread about coronavirus. 

You guys bash on with he politics and Maggie Thatcher chat, if I wish to post again I'll we seek approval for my post content 1st.

Yo can invite what you like and discuss it to death. 

My post was a crude attempt at a humourous interjection inviting discussion around the likelihood of app shaming becoming the new mask shaming/general curtain-twitchery.

You'll note that I didn't quote you directly. This was deliberate. 👍

My main concerns about the app are if it has pre-recorded videos of Nicola telling you to put your mask on and social distance repeating every ten minutes?!!

30 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It's meant to be compatible with iPhone 6s and newer. The 6s came out 5 years ago. How old is your phone?

3 years 

39 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

the england and wales app is being released on 24th sep

I've been trialling this app and the QR code function is pretty useless so far. It only scans approved NHS QR codes and most places have their own system. 

Maybe when the app is properly launched more places will take up the NHS codes and it will be more useful. 

2 minutes ago, dtgj said:

I've been trialling this app and the QR code function is pretty useless so far. It only scans approved NHS QR codes and most places have their own system. 

Maybe when the app is properly launched more places will take up the NHS codes and it will be more useful. 

hopefully, and i would hope there would be a website that restuaraunts etc could register on and have a compatible QR code generated that they could print out and stick up at ther places

See what I don't understand? Why, when a test comes back positive don't they have a tick box saying whether the carrier is symptomatic or asymptomatic? Surely this information should be driving policy.

Dennis Reynolds
5 minutes ago, graygo said:

See what I don't understand? Why, when a test comes back positive don't they have a tick box saying whether the carrier is symptomatic or asymptomatic? Surely this information should be driving policy.

Whilst I don't disagree with your point, you should only be getting a test if you're symptomatic. Obviously that's not always the case but when your booking a test, it asks you if you have symptoms so the default will always be symptomatic.

Edited by LMc

6 minutes ago, graygo said:

Why? They can be asymptomatic but still pass it on to someone who does become symptomatic.

1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

No we don't. If the app was our only tracing mechanism then we would need much more, but it isn't. It's just part of the armoury.

A friend, an otherwise intelligent person, sent me an email this morning linking to a web page of privacy concerns about the app. The only thing was, the page was written in July about the app the UK Government were developing themselves before they dropped the idea, i.e. a completely different app. This is the sort of idiocy we're up against and ironically is the sort of information pumped out by those who claim "We have to think for ourselves!" and yet swallow this shit hook, line and sinker.

Anyway, the app is working fine on my phone. Doesn't work on an iPhone 6 though.

Just now, redjambo said:

No we don't. If the app was our only tracing mechanism then we would need much more, but it isn't. It's just part of the armoury.

A friend, an otherwise intelligent person, sent me an email this morning linking to a web page of privacy concerns about the app. The only thing was, the page was written in July about the app the UK Government were developing themselves before they dropped the idea, i.e. a completely different app. This is the sort of idiocy we're up against and ironically is the sort of information pumped out by those who claim "We have to think for ourselves!" and yet swallow this shit hook, line and sinker.

Anyway, the app is working fine on my phone. Doesn't work on an iPhone 6 though.

I read this morning that it will be effective with just over 800,000 users. 

5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Why? They can be asymptomatic but still pass it on to someone who does become symptomatic.

Well it would tell us if they are. We had 175 or so positive cases yesterday, do you not think it might be relevant if only 20 were symptomatic?

Christ we could all be positive but if the vast majority were asymptomatic we could loosen the handcuffs a wee bit.

10 minutes ago, LMc said:

Whilst I don't disagree with your point, you should only be getting a test if you're symptomatic. Obviously that's not always the case but when your booking a test, it asks you if you have symptoms so the default will always be symptomatic.

You're right of course but in reality that's not happening.

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

:) Ruled out by my luddite tendencies :)

My initial hopes that a contact tracing app would help me if I dropped a lens were sadly dashed, and so I gave my iPhone to my wife after her old phone broke.

Do you really not find it remotely creepy that a government sponsored app can identify who you have been near and when?

But can't identify you. (I think)

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Go Greased Lightning !!

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic