Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

34 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Why is it wastage?  People are being told to exercise their personal responsibility to protect any vulnerable people they come into contact with.  Testing is one way of reducing risks.  Some of the least well off will find them expensive because when you have nothing,  everything is expensive.  Free or nominally costly LFT tests do not represent much of a cost to the taxpayer.  It's the PCR testing that's costly. 

Why is it waste? The vast majority of them are negative and are just plastic waste. It's plastic, bagged inside plastic, with plastic bags to put it into after. 

If an LFT has a nominal cost of £3 then the cost to the taxpayer will have been huge. People were doing them everyday in some instances.

If you're ill, stay at home until you're not. If you simply must know whether it's Covid, do a test, but it'll cost you.

Is it expensive for those who have nothing? Yes, I guess so. If you've nothin lots of things are expensive. The solution isn't to give everyone an entitlement of 2 boxes free per day. This approach is better than what we've had imo.

34 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I wouldn't worry too much about further reactions to bumps along the road.  Only a very serious turn of events is going to instigate a return to mandated rules and restrictions.  That ship has sailed.  Even a very serious turn for the worse will be met with fierce resistance on the Tory benches.  Any return to mandate will be supported by the opposition though.  But spaffer or any other PM will be very reluctant to rock the Tory boat by bringing forward restrictions.

I thought that after his supposed freedom day last year and he crumbled like a deck of cards. He'll go whatever way the prevailing wind blows. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Why is it waste? The vast majority of them are negative and are just plastic waste. It's plastic, bagged inside plastic, with plastic bags to put it into after. 

If an LFT has a nominal cost of £3 then the cost to the taxpayer will have been huge. People were doing them everyday in some instances.

If you're ill, stay at home until you're not. If you simply must know whether it's Covid, do a test, but it'll cost you.

Is it expensive for those who have nothing? Yes, I guess so. If you've nothin lots of things are expensive. The solution isn't to give everyone an entitlement of 2 boxes free per day. This approach is better than what we've had imo.

I thought that after his supposed freedom day last year and he crumbled like a deck of cards. He'll go whatever way the prevailing wind blows. 

See that’s the issue with the term “ free” ! Nothing is free . It costs . Tax payers pay for it . Completely agree with your comments . 

manaliveits105
28 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

It's simply the words of someone who can't express eloquent counter opinion

Others might it "spaffing"

On every thread - Boris lives in their heads rent free :greggy:

10 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

He's a moron!

No he's not !

His “ jolly japester “ persona has been honed over many years.

He's a lying, racist !

A devious b*****d !

Lots of events have led to a “new normal”. The Covid pandemic will be the same whether people like it or not. Things will never be the same again following a two year long pandemic which has cost millions of lives and they shouldn’t be. It’s vital though that the new normal is proportionate and of benefit to society though.

16 minutes ago, Boab said:

No he's not !

His “ jolly japester “ persona has been honed over many years.

He's a lying, racist !

A devious b*****d !

I was being kind! 🤣

manaliveits105

Hopefully Nippoleon finds money in the Scottish budgets (doon the magic sofa) or raises taxes to meet any continuance of testing 

15 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Hopefully Nippoleon finds money in the Scottish budgets (doon the magic sofa) or raises taxes to meet any continuance of testing 

Yes some people seem to forget that the SG has tax raising powers . 

Edited by JamesM48

7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Interesting point. What long term impacts do you think we’ll see? 

WFH / hybrid working for office based proles probably one thing that was coming anyway. Masks a default option for ‘flu season’? Wider scale digital passes related to vaccination status for travel and access to events? People using lockdowns/restrictions as a reason for certain aspects of their life, such as addictions, depression, etc?

We’ll also need a way of helping the thousands of amateur virologists (on all points of the political spectrum) back into meaningful employment, I guess 😄

Went back up the office today . First time since it all started . One of my colleagues said “ I can’t be bothered coming in today as I’ve got a big washing to do “ ! Says it all really . 😂 

32 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes some people seem to forget that the SG has tax raising powers . 

Unionists would be the first to moan as per usual and then there's the media with its pet numpties and propaganda. 

We get a budget but we should have all our money! With independence these arguments wouldn't arise as we'd use our resources better and only in Scotland.

9 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Unionists would be the first to moan as per usual and then there's the media with its pet numpties and propaganda. 

We get a budget but we should have all our money! With independence these arguments wouldn't arise as we'd use our resources better and only in Scotland.

Your spot on . If we had Independence those arguments wouldn't arise as we would have no money to budget :) 

manaliveits105
11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Your spot on . If we had Independence those arguments wouldn't arise as we would have no money to budget :) 

:qqb006:

2 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Nippy has decided to axe vaccine passports. What a great idea they were 🤣🤣

Will those thrown into the back of meat wagons now be released?

What a mess some folk got themselves into just a matter of months ago.

"Am no sitting next to the unvaccinated, stick them in the pokey!" 😂😂

Ainsley Harriott
14 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

2 minutes in and already blaming Westminster about funding. She just cant help herself. 

Dangerous and spiteful so she is.

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Will those thrown into the back of meat wagons now be released?

What a mess some folk got themselves into just a matter of months ago.

"Am no sitting next to the unvaccinated, stick them in the pokey!" 😂😂

I know. It really was so divisive and a real eye opener with some people on this and their views regarding it. Talk about right win, authoritarian responses.   Jezz

9 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Nippy has decided to axe vaccine passports. What a great idea they were 🤣🤣

and now respecting people by dropping the mask mandate. Yes giving people the respect to make their own choices about their personal risk assessment. 

Ainsley Harriott
Just now, JamesM48 said:

and now respecting people by dropping the mask mandate. Yes giving people the respect to make their own choices about their personal risk assessment. 

After panning Boris she just followed him all be it just a few weeks behind.

5 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Dangerous and spiteful so she is.

She just cant help it. Its a shame she began her statement like that as it ruined what was relatively good statement . 

manaliveits105
1 minute ago, Hesh said:

Why wasn't the Vaccine passport lifted before the rugby this weekend ?

yep why start it on a Monday when the busy period is the weekends for hospitality 

Howdy Doody Jambo
3 minutes ago, Hesh said:

Why wasn't the Vaccine passport lifted before the rugby this weekend ?

Just to be nippy and effing awkward 

Edited by The Maroon Pound

Ainsley Harriott
Just now, Lord Montpelier said:

Time for her to give up the emergency powers she awarded herself

More chance of Putin giving up his new found territories

5 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

yep why start it on a Monday when the busy period is the weekends for hospitality 

Her last kick in the baws to Hospitality 

I see the critical thinkers are out in force today😂😂. If they did actually stop and think they would know that the SG have been saying for weeks we need to start living with Covid. The huge difference is that the SG are listening to medical advice regarding ongoing testing while Boris is ignoring it to appease his right wingers

3 minutes ago, XB52 said:

I see the critical thinkers are out in force today😂😂. If they did actually stop and think they would know that the SG have been saying for weeks we need to start living with Covid. The huge difference is that the SG are listening to medical advice regarding ongoing testing while Boris is ignoring it to appease his right wingers

Listening to medical advice? Really ? So explain why you no longer need to have a vaccine passport on Monday when they could have just stopped it now for the rugby at the weekend! 

Ah that the medical advice 😂😂

Just now, Victorian said:

Predictably,  some people can't even witness the removal of restrictions with a bit of dignity.  

What a shower.  :rofl:

Should merge this with the seethe thread !

🤣

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Got to credit the rollout of the booster vaccine just before Christmas as getting us to this position, surely?

And fair play to BJ and NS in their efforts. I'd imagine, however, that they have slightly different motives for doing so.

This guy's got dignity.  

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Got to credit the rollout of the booster vaccine just before Christmas as getting us to this position, surely?

And fair play to BJ and NS in their efforts. I'd imagine, however, that they have slightly different motives for doing so.

Roll on the Summer. 👍Golf outing in April hopefully back up and running.

Just now, GBJambo said:

Listening to medical advice? Really ? So explain why you no longer need to have a vaccine passport on Monday when they could have just stopped it now for the rugby at the weekend! 

Ah that the medical advice 😂😂

?? All changes need advance notice. Every announcemt from SG or wm have had a delay built in so people can prepare. Why should a game of rugby get special treatment and why should it bother you so much?? 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Interesting point. What long term impacts do you think we’ll see? 

WFH / hybrid working for office based proles probably one thing that was coming anyway. Masks a default option for ‘flu season’? Wider scale digital passes related to vaccination status for travel and access to events? People using lockdowns/restrictions as a reason for certain aspects of their life, such as addictions, depression, etc?

We’ll also need a way of helping the thousands of amateur virologists (on all points of the political spectrum) back into meaningful employment, I guess 😄

You’ve highlighted one already with the flexible working one. It’s definitely been a silver lining as productivity levels have increased but I agree it was (or at least should have been) coming anyway.

I think the other big change will be (hopefully) more understanding of how our personal hygiene influences how easily we pass bugs on. I don’t think we’ll get to a Germany situation where people stay off work more when ill but I’d like to think people will now think more about trying not to pass on not just Covid but also things like flu, norovirus etc. If I’m ill with something like that and need to pop into the supermarket I’ll now stick a mask on and I wouldn’t have dreamt of doing that in the past.

20 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Masks are about minimising risk to others though, not risk to yourself. 

5 minutes ago, XB52 said:

?? All changes need advance notice. Every announcemt from SG or wm have had a delay built in so people can prepare. Why should a game of rugby get special treatment and why should it bother you so much?? 

Used rugby as an example! 
What preparation is needed for people to prepare that they don’t need to provide a vaccine passport any more. Surely events etc there will be less preparation needed than to check for passports.

Just feel it’s another kick in the balls for the hospitality industry on one of this biggest weekends 

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Predictably,  some people can't even witness the removal of restrictions with a bit of dignity.  

What a shower.  :rofl:

:fonzie:

1 minute ago, GBJambo said:

Used rugby as an example! 
What preparation is needed for people to prepare that they don’t need to provide a vaccine passport any more. Surely events etc there will be less preparation needed than to check for passports.

Just feel it’s another kick in the balls for the hospitality industry on one of this biggest weekends 

I think to all intends and purposes they might just let people in sans passports ! However then again there have been some little Hitler types “ guards “ loving the authority of requesting them . Sad really 

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I'm with you up to a point, but there is a fair chance over analysis of our ability to transmit bugs will create a society of hypochondriacs. Like with all things, it's a balancing act.

Yeah and I suppose it may also impact our natural immunities long term too. Be interesting to see how it all works in Germany as they seem to have a very different approach.

Ainsley Harriott
23 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Tell me your a member of a cult without telling me your a member of a cult

39 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Time for her to give up the emergency powers she awarded herself

Awarded by the Scottish Parliament.

The Mighty Thor
6 hours ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Put yer face mask on and stay at home then 

Why on earth would I do that?

Your post misrepresented and missed the point of the actions taken by governments of every colour over the last two years and the sacrifices made by millions up and down the country.

Like I said, a diatribe straight off the GBeebies/Mail/Express school of (not)thinking.

The Mighty Thor
34 minutes ago, XB52 said:

it's a full circle jerk of the critical thinkerati.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )