Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Enzo Chiefo
1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Your type always rese

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

It's not a smart move, but we're dealing with people who start posts with things like "Why are "scientists" the only profession not judged by results?"

It's utterly laughable, an extension of the same anti intellectualism we all pointed and laughed at in Trumpian US.

Resentment of those who think critically, and intellectually, is not really a good look in an educated society

Feel free to sub-contract your own thought processes to "the science" but don't expect others to follow.

You do seem in awe of those in power who are "qualified" but, you appear to resent equally "qualified" individuals among the proletariat being able to challenge. 

Such absolute deferment to power is worrying.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Resentment of those who think critically, and intellectually, is not really a good look in an educated society

Feel free to sub-contract your own thought processes to "the science" but don't expect others to follow.

You do seem in awe of those in power who are "qualified" but, you appear to resent equally "qualified" individuals among the proletariat being able to challenge. 

The shite you listen to is worrying

7 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

It was a general comment and wasn’t aimed at anyone in particular. However, I am uncomfortable with the anti expert stance;  that some come out with. It is not a form of logic that stands up to much scrutiny. 

When I’m ill I go to the doctor, when one of my cars is playing up I take it to the garage, when the mutt is ill I take her  to the vet. I take advice from people who know more than me for all manner of my life. They’re, not perfect but I understand they know more than me. 

The govt will have all manners of advisors and what not; all of them will not agree. That is the skill in govt/management is picking the right opinions. Neil Ferguson, getting a model ‘wrong’, when most people can’t even understand modelling isn’t really justification to **** experts out the window. 

Believing experts advice is worthless because they got something wrong previously, is daft. 

Experts don’t predict the future they provide advice. (Models don’t predict the future outside set parameters, thats aren't real)  What’s done with that advice is the key. I personally think our govts both UK and Scot have been terribly on that front. 

Ignoring expert advice on the basis they got something wrong in the past, especially when you ignore all they have got right, isn’t a smart move imo.

Aren’t you just backing what Enzo is saying ? Basically if you get conflicting expert advice you choose which one to follow using your own thoughts and intelligence(or lack of) while dismissing/ignoring other expert advice ? Clearly it isn’t smart to ignore all expert advice all of the time and is just as stupid as those who follow every bit of expert advice at every turn. Surely as you said it is okay to choose which advice you follow or ignore. Unless I’ve got it wrong on what Enzo is saying. 

Enzo,  your 'critical thinker' schtick is ****ing tragic man.  You're increasingly coming across as a total narcissist.  

Give it up for goodness sake and be a person amongst peers.  

4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I didn’t realise, that it should be confirmed level 0 will end next week. 

Does that mean we’re restriction free apart from face masks? Things like full stadiums, concerts etc returning?

That’s the thinking…critical or not ! 🥴

18 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's not happened in England. They couldn't wait to get back to normal

Less staff are required if people can queue at the bar to get served.

12 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Since restrictions in England were lifted/relaxed every pub I have been in has dispensed with the requirement for table service though some offer it as an alternative to going to the bar. It makes a huge difference. One chain pub during the restrictions warned at the door that just to order a drink would take 15 minutes. **** that for a game of soldiers ...( an expression I have not heard for a long time.)

Just felt that pubs or any hospitality venue that was wanting to move towards a more technology based solution would use the 'Covid' experience to move towards table service, apps based solutions.

I'm getting used to table service, building up tabs, one person paying the bill and then others transferring money over, as my 'pub' experience although I do prefer bar staff 'oredering' experience rather than an app, albeit it works far better in smaller venues where they can manage the priority folk should be served.  

Ok  of course it doesn't happen on every experience, but I don't miss folk barging in front of each other, folk complaining about their turn being missed, or deliberately being ignored when bar stuff themselves are in the huff.

Edited by DETTY29

Governor Tarkin
21 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

You in the Dam yet?

I am.

Decent Hotel with a corner room overlooking the NSDM ferry terminal, and a

generous meal allowance.

Not the Dam experience that I'm more accustomed to, tbf.

Governor Tarkin
6 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

What you not allowed drugs and hookers sent to your room? 

:seething:

No drugs.

Hookers shouldn't be a problem, but it'll be the B team that's out this early in the week. Especially during the day.

I'll hold off 'till nearer the weekend when the standard will improve.

Francis Albert
10 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I would have just left the place . 

What a horrendous image ! Yuck 

👍👍

The one thing they did do successfully was to scare the living daylights out of people . That was a roaring success 

I know I could have saved a fortune not buying bleach !!! 😂😂 however it was all part of the scare tactics 

👍👍

I forgot my mask today and felt like a leper on the bus ! 

Actually one thing about the pandemic . It has made me reassess the clartiness of buses , in particular in the winter . Never mind the coughing and sneezing but then people all touching the same handrails with all the crap on it . Yuck 

Just on your last point while I agree in general there is risk in your environment being too clean. If you never or very rarely  encounter viruses and other infection or transmissible disease you will have very little resistance when inevitably you do

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Just on your last point while I agree in general there is risk in your environment being too clean. If you never or very rarely  encounter viruses and other infection or transmissible disease you will have very little resistance when inevitably you do

This is evidenced by the two stonking colds that I've had this year. By far the worst I've had, and the longest lasting.

Dirty Deeds
32 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

No drugs.

Hookers shouldn't be a problem, but it'll be the B team that's out this early in the week. Especially during the day.

I'll hold off 'till nearer the weekend when the standard will improve.

Now that is Critical Thinking. 

Francis Albert
11 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I work with models all the time in my job (sadly, not the living type). All models are wrong as models are a function of their inputs but people ignore things like sensitivity testing and confidence intervals. The performance of a model can only truly be judged by the errors after the fact. However, they are needed as the best guess of future outcomes based on the knowledge of the present situation.

It may be it is just the  media filter but you never here much about the assumptions or inputs to the models. Or even about the limits and uncertainties of the models That is true of scientists like Ferguson popping up daily on the Today programme in newspaper sound bite quotes like "this variant could be 40% to 80% more transmissible". In itself a pretty meaningless statement.

If abused models can be dangerous. I worked at the height of the risk management boom when businesses employed huge numbers of risk managers with ever more complex models which it was claimed managed financial risks and it was believed would eliminate the risk of  another financial collapse. The people making business decisions and many risk managers had no hope of understanding the outputs of the models or the experts presentation of the outputs.

That was all just before the collapse of the banking sector.

Edited by Francis Albert

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

I didn’t realise, that it should be confirmed level 0 will end next week. 

Does that mean we’re restriction free apart from face masks? Things like full stadiums, concerts etc returning?

But you still won’t be able to dance in a club until 3 Am . She hates that we want to boogie I think . And yes face masks still mandatory just in case you actually might want to forget That thd pandemic is essentially over , this will be a sharp visual remainder that it isn’t 

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Just felt that pubs or any hospitality venue that was wanting to move towards a more technology based solution would use the 'Covid' experience to move towards table service, apps based solutions.

I'm getting used to table service, building up tabs, one person paying the bill and then others transferring money over, as my 'pub' experience although I do prefer bar staff 'oredering' experience rather than an app, albeit it works far better in smaller venues where they can manage the priority folk should be served.  

Ok  of course it doesn't happen on every experience, but I don't miss folk barging in front of each other, folk complaining about their turn being missed, or deliberately being ignored when bar stuff themselves are in the huff.

I don’t mind the table service sometimes but nowt wrong With standing at the bar chatting to

different people’s . That’s how a few of my romances started 😎 

39 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Yes that very true however im

Happy to say our house is very “ lived in “ ! Not in a hoarders way but comfortable . As for buses I’m just more careful in them now than pre covid 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

As stated previously it was a general comment. Some people are dismissing experts on the basis they got something wrong; previously. That’s beyond stupid. 

Experts aren’t actually making decisions, they provide information to enable decisions to be made by our leaders/decision makers.. Our leadership in the wider sense have been poor in using that info imo. 

Neil Ferguson, Jason Leitch etc will have got numerous things wrong around this crisis. That’s doesn’t stop them being experts , especially in an environment where the subject matter is rapidly evolving. Despite what some are trying to claim these people are amongst the best placed to advice us and in reality they are just a single voice in a cast of hundreds

Posters aren’t assessing any expert advise. They aren’t reviewing complex information, from different areas analysis and making a decision; at the very best they are reading a couple of articles. Most are picking a position based on a pre-conceived position. and using ad hominem arguments to attempt to justify it. 

The issue with the “ Experts “ is that the Govts seem to follow the worse possible scenarios from them and then base their policies on this . It’ll be interesting to see in the next two weeks Where the Ferguson prediction is . If it’s well off the 100,000 he should be given the boot 🥾 mind you no heard from Leitch or Devri for a while ? Bauld was on the telly last night but only caught a bit of what she said . Something negative as usual 

4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

As for buses I’m just more careful in them now than pre covid 

I was hoping the manky b@st@rdness bus travel experience would be a thing of the past.

And that the Metro would be banished forever.

Sadly not.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

I was hoping the manky b@st@rdness bus travel experience would be a thing of the past.

Sadly not.

No they can still be minging . Be even worse In the winter . 

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Sadly not.

I find the very thought of sitting on a loser-cruiser with the manky proles utterly abhorrent, tbh. 

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I find the very thought of sitting on a loser-cruiser with the manky proles utterly abhorrent, tbh. 

Snob 😎 and your from Oxgangs ? 

The Mighty Thor
6 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

That wouldn’t be a issue with experts but with the govts and their response. 

That won't permeate, I'm afraid. The tin foilers are too far gone for common sense and logic.

There has been a lack of understanding of the advisory role of experts, who have been providing all the UK Governments with scenarios from super happy clapping to utter armageddon. The way the Governments jump is entirely down to their own risk assessment of just how much slack there is in the NHS and other support services, how the population will react and behave in line with the restrictions, the fiscal and social implications and countless other factors. 

I'd hate to be in that seat making those kind of decisions.

The problem is the Facebook and Twitter bangers who swallow whole the utter shite spouted by people with an ulterior motive and swallowed whole by those with an inability to think for themselves, who ironically think the empowerment of this disinformation makes them critical thinkers. 

If you're taking your info off Neil Oliver, Mike Yeadon, Facebook, Twitter then you perhaps need to have a moment of reflection on where your life is heading. 

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

As stated previously it was a general comment. Some people are dismissing experts on the basis they got something wrong; previously. That’s beyond stupid. 

Experts aren’t actually making decisions, they provide information to enable decisions to be made by our leaders/decision makers.. Our leadership in the wider sense have been poor in using that info imo. 

Neil Ferguson, Jason Leitch etc will have got numerous things wrong around this crisis. That’s doesn’t stop them being experts , especially in an environment where the subject matter is rapidly evolving. Despite what some are trying to claim these people are amongst the best placed to advice us and in reality they are just a single voice in a cast of hundreds

Posters aren’t assessing any expert advise. They aren’t reviewing complex information, from different areas analysis and making a decision; at the very best they are reading a couple of articles. Most are picking a position based on a pre-conceived position. and using ad hominem arguments to attempt to justify it. 

Yeah I know you weren’t aiming at anyone in particular and maybe I missed the mark. I just think it’s okay to ignore expert advice especially when it is so conflicting. Advice is just that, we all ignore it at some point and most of us use our own judgement on the soundness of that advice. An expert who focuses on the negative or worst cases outcomes will always likely be wrong in the sense there forecast will never happen. Still makes them experts but fair enough to ignore them imo. 

Governor Tarkin
9 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Snob 😎 and your from Oxgangs ? 

Where someone was dragged into existence does not necessarily reflect upon and should not be used to ascribe character to that individual. 

For example, I'm sure that you were heaved forth from your mother's nether regions, but that doesn't necessarily make you a **nny. 

jack D and coke
21 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

That won't permeate, I'm afraid. The tin foilers are too far gone for common sense and logic.

There has been a lack of understanding of the advisory role of experts, who have been providing all the UK Governments with scenarios from super happy clapping to utter armageddon. The way the Governments jump is entirely down to their own risk assessment of just how much slack there is in the NHS and other support services, how the population will react and behave in line with the restrictions, the fiscal and social implications and countless other factors. 

The problem is the Facebook and Twitter bangers who swallow whole the utter shite spouted by people with an ulterior motive and swallowed whole by those with an inability to think for themselves, who ironically think the empowerment of this disinformation makes them critical thinkers. 

If you're taking your info off Neil Oliver, Mike Yeadon, Facebook, Twitter then you perhaps need to have a moment of reflection on where your life is heading. 

🤪

BAC8E33C-F09A-46EC-98F0-4BBACD3E18D4.jpeg

JudyJudyJudy
37 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Where someone was dragged into existence does not necessarily reflect upon and should not be used to ascribe character to that individual. 

For example, I'm sure that you were heaved forth from your mother's nether regions, but that doesn't necessarily make you a **nny. 

Wow how original is that !!’ Dearie me 

356359B5-8FE1-4FB1-A0D9-9A7533F054EF.gif

38 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Spot, and indeed on.

If nothing else, the reaction of critical thinkers to the pandemic should earn Dunning and Kruger a Nobel prize.

Francis Albert
51 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

How do you square the advisory role with very high public profile of many of the experts/scientists?

11 hours ago, stevie1874 said:

Where was this if I may ask because I’ve been in a couple of pubs and refused to download the app and they’ve been fine taking an order at the table. But I’m with you on going to the bar 👍

Slug and lettuce 

The Mighty Thor
7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

How do you square the advisory role with very high public profile of many of the experts/scientists?

Who put them there and why?

I'm quite sure Vallance, Whitty, Leitch, Bauld etc have no great desire to be wheeled out in press conferences but the Governments' decisions and the justification message had to firstly be lent credibility and then secondly be put out there through mass media which Johnson, Sturgeon, Drakeford could not achieve as they don't understand virology or epidemiology. 

The MSM have turned these poor buggers into 'celebrities' which has opened them up to the attention good and bad.

Ultimately they are only advisors, the decisions based on their recommendations are taken by the politicians and sadly some of the experts/scientists have become 'human shields' for inept/mischievous  governmental decision making, which has in itself led to them becoming lightning rods for the arseholes on Facebook, Twitter and the 'critical thinkers' on forums such as this one.

45 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

So that they can advise those who are open to listening to expert advice.  Not everyone is so uniquely insightful to be able to make up their own advice.  ;)

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Yeah I know you weren’t aiming at anyone in particular and maybe I missed the mark. I just think it’s okay to ignore expert advice especially when it is so conflicting. Advice is just that, we all ignore it at some point and most of us use our own judgement on the soundness of that advice. An expert who focuses on the negative or worst cases outcomes will always likely be wrong in the sense there forecast will never happen. Still makes them experts but fair enough to ignore them imo. 

That is the nub of the matter, Dazo. We all listen to the advice, the predictions, view the graphs etc and then assess how realistic and credible we think they are and make our own judgement. 

Some bangers on here seem to believe that you should sign your critical thinking faculties over to "the science". 

Adding the definite article to "science" assumes that there is collective agreement on the approach to take. There is not.

However,  some seem to pick and choose the scientists and behavioural psychologists that they garner their info from, dismissing the equally credible voices who disagree.  Of course, there are kranks at either end of the spectrum.

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

The issue with the “ Experts “ is that the Govts seem to follow the worse possible scenarios from them and then base their policies on this . It’ll be interesting to see in the next two weeks Where the Ferguson prediction is . If it’s well off the 100,000 he should be given the boot 🥾 mind you no heard from Leitch or Devri for a while ? Bauld was on the telly last night but only caught a bit of what she said . Something negative as usual 

Thought Ferguson resigned from his Government advisory role last year when he got caught breaking lockdown rules visiting his lover or something, so unless he's back in the fold now, then his 100k comment was his own personal thoughts and is not connected with the Government.

A Government minister (can't remember which one) repeated the 100k claim and from there it grew arms & legs, into people thinking Government policy was based on this 100k claim.

Happy to be proven wrong, but that's what I think has happened here with this 100k claim.

4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

That is the nub of the matter, Dazo. We all listen to the advice, the predictions, view the graphs etc and then assess how realistic and credible we think they are and make our own judgement

Some bangers on here seem to believe that you should sign your critical thinking faculties over to "the science". 

Adding the definite article to "science" assumes that there is collective agreement on the approach to take. There is not.

However,  some seem to pick and choose the scientists and behavioural psychologists that they garner their info from, dismissing the equally credible voices who disagree.  Of course, there are kranks at either end of the spectrum.

:levein_interesting:

Governor Tarkin
33 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I'm quite sure Vallance, Whitty, Leitch, Bauld etc have no great desire to be wheeled out in press conferences but the Governments' decisions and the justification message had to firstly be lent credibility and then secondly be put out there through mass media which Johnson, Sturgeon, Drakeford could not achieve as they don't understand virology or epidemiology. 

The MSM have turned these poor buggers into 'celebrities' which has opened them up to the attention good and bad.

Ultimately they are only advisors, the decisions based on their recommendations are taken by the politicians and sadly some of the experts/scientists have become 'human shields' for inept/mischievous  governmental decision making, which has in itself led to them becoming lightning rods for the arseholes on Facebook, Twitter and the 'critical thinkers' on forums such as this one.

I doubt very much that the celebrity afforded by Leitch's frequent slots on Off the Ball was entirely forced upon him by an over zealous MSM. 

Some of them are absolutely courting exposure, and will benefit from it in the future. Why look a gift horse in the mouth? 

Francis Albert
50 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The poor wee souls. Manipulated by Johnson Hancock et al to get their way. Forced to get up at the crack of dawn to get to the Today studio by Zoom or whatever it is to deliver the soundbites that reinforce the Government's messages with  its acknowledged aim to create and maintain fear in the populace. 

"Sorry Boris we are just advisors. You've got our advice. It is up to you to decide what to do with it and explain why. Some of the advice may conflict but doubtless you get conflicting advice all the time. "

Edited by Francis Albert

Look at me... I view all the information and assess all the opinions and make a judgement on what's credible and what's not.  Not like them fools what pick and choose what they believe and dismiss what they don't believe.  

20 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

That is the nub of the matter, Dazo. We all listen to the advice, the predictions, view the graphs etc and then assess how realistic and credible we think they are and make our own judgement. 

I wouldn’t waste your time with the conformists on this thread Enzo, they spend their lives doing what they are told anything over and above that gets them all uneasy and start lashing out. 

The Mighty Thor
4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The poor wee souls. Manipulated by Johnson Hancock et al to get their way. Forced to get up at the crack of dawn to get to the Today studio by Zoom or whatever it is to deliver the soundbites that reinforce the Government's messages with  its acknowledged aim to create and maintain fear in the populace. 

"Sorry Boris we are just advisors. You've got our advice. It is up to you to decide what to do with it and explain why. Some of the advice may conflict but doubtless you get conflicting advice all the time. "

There's much to pick apart in that first paragraph FA but I honestly can't be arsed as discussions with you become attritional, particularly when your starting point is that jaundiced. 

It might shock you to find that experts disagree or offer different advice on just about everything. The SAGE advisory groups covered all manner of from epidemiology, virology, behavioural science, business etc so by default you'll have a wide variety of different/contradictory opinions filtering into the Cabinet/SG to ultimately make the decisions to protect the population. 

6 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Are you claiming to be a virologist, epidemiologist or data scientist now? 

Enzo Chiefo
1 minute ago, Gizmo said:

Are you claiming to be a virologist, epidemiologist or data scientist now? 

No. Thanks for asking though.

No. Thanks for asking though.

Good. Thanks for confirming we can ignore all your mumping on the thread. 👍

2 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

But he's able to think differently.  Some sort of superior level of thought process only possessed by him and,  by a strange coincidence,  other people of similar opinions.  

Enzo Chiefo
27 minutes ago, Victorian said:

:levein_interesting:

Not that interesting tbh. But you're obviously anxious to get involved so, just to clarify, we all have the ability to assess the data, the graphs, the predictions from scientists with differing views, the evidence etc make our OWN judgement as to how things will pan out.

Others hang on EVERY word that one strand of scientific opinion imparts and dismiss everybody else, including critical thinking members of the public - the backbone of a nation - as kranks. 

Hope that clarifies everything for you.👍

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

Not that interesting tbh. But you're obviously anxious to get involved so, just to clarify, we all have the ability to assess the data, the graphs, the predictions from scientists with differing views, the evidence etc make our OWN judgement as to how things will pan out.

Others hang on EVERY word that one strand of scientific opinion imparts and dismiss everybody else, including critical thinking members of the public - the backbone of a nation - as kranks. 

Hope that clarifies everything for you.👍

Only if you assume they haven't made the same assessment of all the information that you have.  How do you know that these people have not assessed everything?

Enzo Chiefo
8 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

That would involve making a conscious decision all on your own. After the last 18mths, are you sure you're ready for that?🤐

Enzo Chiefo
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Only if you assume they haven't made the same assessment of all the information that you have.  How do you know that these people have not assessed everything?

I think you can tell when people refer to "unqualified w***ers on the internet" that thinking is not their stong suit.

I think you can tell when people refer to "unqualified w***ers on the internet" that thinking is not their stong suit.

So you don't know.  You assume.

Spends many months calling mainstream opinions every name under the sun and then criticises others who call marginal opinions a name.  

A walking,  talking,  'thinking' bundle of contradiction and rank hypocrisy.

Just now, Victorian said:

But he's able to think differently.  Some sort of superior level of thought process only possessed by him and,  by a strange coincidence,  other people of similar opinions.  

Do you think he ever stops to recognize his inbuilt biases and critically analyses his own thinking to ensure he actually is a critical thinker? Do you think he absorbs a range of material from a variety of sources to reach a position or just grabs the next piece of supporting evidence? As a critical thinker, does Enzo here ever take the time to step into the perspective of others - or does he just form a blanket "not like me ergo they must be conformist, cowering sheeple" judgement on people who do not share his particular outlook?

That would involve making a conscious decision all on your own. After the last 18mths, are you sure you're ready for that?🤐

No worries Victorian, I think I have my answers. :laugh:

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic