• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I P Knightley
12 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

My son's school is staggering the return of pupils, from Tuesday the first pupils will be children of key workers, the week after all pupils in year 10/11 that have exams this year then all children will back in on the 18th, home schooling wiil expected to be done for those at home from Tuesday untill the 18th.

Also, they are carrying out covid tests at the school.

This is in Cumbria. 

That's the pattern across the whole of England, I believe - at least for the state schools.

Slight correction on the bit in bold: "they have been told that they are carrying out tests at the school."

My boys' school is in the same position. The school was told on Dec 17th (the day they broke up) that they would be conducting covid tests on all pupils as they arrive at school. They were told that they would get training on administering the covid tests over Christmas - they've received nothing. They were told that they would have the testing kits delivered on the morning of Jan 4th; 3,500 secondary schools around the country have been told the same. Given the lies and false promises that this shambles of a government and the clown of an education secretary have given out since the very beginning, I think it's fair to say that very few schools will be in a position to do widespread testing next week.

Of course, the latest change of mind (to put the return to schools back to the 18th of Jan (except the exams years) makes it more possible that some testing will take place. I suppose if I go in with such low expectations, then almost anything positive will be a pleasant surprise.

They'll never be able to achieve the school testing.  Fairytale stuff.  They'll eventually shit the bed and close the schools on the basis of rolling review periods.  Shut until mid Feb imo.

I P Knightley
50 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Direction of travel on schools seems to suggest they'll remain closed for a while.  Would not be surprised if they're shut until mid Feb throughout the UK.

Another thing I can see happening is another shift in the vaccine policy.  I think they'll scrap the second dose altogether.  Single dose for everyone initially and then a secondary programme of two doses three weeks apart late in the year.

Tony Blair was arguing for that a couple of weeks ago (vaccinations, not schools). On the face of it, the percentages sounded quite compelling. The trouble is that the scientists/Pfizer haven't tested the efficacy of the vaccine administered under those conditions.

If they ever get the schools testing off the ground, it could yield some extremely useful statistical findings. I wouldn't be surprised if they found out that the kids are riddled with Covid and have been transferring it all along. If that were the case, would there be an immediate switch in priorities for vaccination?

Edited by I P Knightley

The Mighty Thor
9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

They'll never be able to achieve the school testing.  Fairytale stuff.  They'll eventually shit the bed and close the schools on the basis of rolling review periods.  Shut until mid Feb imo.

I agree.

The last few months have been staggering from gimmick to soundbite to try to stay ahead of what has been staring them in the face. Its out of control. 

We need Red Adair. We've got Fireman Sam.  

30 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Ok for her to say “ Avoid public transport “ when it’s essential method of transport for many people going to their mainly “ working class “ jobs . Not unsurprisingly this group amongst the highest To catch covid . She lives in cloud cuckoo land at times . 

My wife is in social care and hasn't been on public transport since March through assistance with employer reviewing shift patterns with both employees and service users taken into account.  It's not possible in all cases but options are available.

Sridhar didn't so don't go on, it's avoid.  Of course if it's only method, then you have little choice.

We've put barrier after barrier up to the only real solution which for long hasn't been control the virus, but eliminate.

Edited by DETTY29

1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

Tony Blair was arguing for that a couple of weeks ago (vaccinations, not schools). On the face of it, the percentages sounded quite compelling. The trouble is that the scientists/Pfizer haven't tested the efficacy of the vaccine administered under those conditions.

Efficacy is less important than safety anyway.  It has no bearing on safety and efficacy will reduce.  But it could be argued that a vaccinated group of twice the size trumps a vaccinated group with protection at higher efficacy.  If there are no particular rules to prevent an emergency single dosage policy then I think it will be a live option.

I P Knightley
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Efficacy is less important than safety anyway.  It has no bearing on safety and efficacy will reduce.  But it could be argued that a vaccinated group of twice the size trumps a vaccinated group with protection at higher efficacy.  If there are no particular rules to prevent an emergency single dosage policy then I think it will be a live option.

I'm inclined to agree with you but accept that it's an uncalculated risk (and I'm not a medical scientist).

My wife does the catering (a dinner wummin!) at the local primary school, she's back in in Monday and hasn't heard different, time yet I suppose.

3 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I'm inclined to agree with you but accept that it's an uncalculated risk (and I'm not a medical scientist).

I think all the other crucial factors come into the equation.  Vaccinating at greater speed and covering twice as many people helps a lot at reducing pressure on the hospitals over the immediate term.  Dependant on onward infection,  covering more people,  reducing deaths,  reducing hospitalisations,  reducing confirmed cases,  etc,  should allow more economic activity to begin.  More businesses open.  More hospitality activity.  Fewer people on furlough.  Fewer job losses.  Easier to get schools and universities back on the go.  Less covid in hospitals enables more routine care.  

Doctor FinnBarr
7 hours ago, Taffin said:

It's not old, not these days 👍

Yes. Same as I'm able to go to work and work with 15 people but can't in my spare time, and same as an asthmatic key worker who can go to work without a mask but not the supermarket, as was being suggested. I'm getting on board with the 'tough' approach to restrictions. 

We've got to take the pressure off the NHS.

My statement stands "away and bile yer heid"

I am no expert on manufacturing but the priority surely is to get the manufacturing capacity in place by whatever means to significantly increase production estimates.

The stuff I am hearing at the moment sounds all very half-arsed.

Matt Hancock needs replaced immediately as he has had nine months to plan this on top of his world leading track and trace system.  Incompetence on this scale is intolerable.

Likewise for Swinney and Williamson on Education.  The teaching unions down south are advising their members not to return to work.

BrewDog not shy of marketing opportunities so are offering their pubs as vaccination centres. But to be fair, this is the sort of thing that needs to happen as we need as many locations as possible rather than a few large centres that people need to use public transport to reach or access as a drive-thru.

I've little faith in the vaccine rollout here. Lots of promises at UK government level but it's just the usual bullshit to get these crooks through another week of office.

Wonder if Hancock will try the tears on live TV again to try convince us all he is capable of empathy and isn't just a creepy guy with little skillset who likes to rub his dick on random women he walks past.

Talking of marketing (advertising actually),  has anyone seen the Ryanair advert?

VACCINES ARE COMING! so book your flights now.  JAB & GO!

:vrface:

Edited by Victorian

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Talking of marketing (advertising actually),  has anyone seen the Ryanair advert?

Yes, typical of Ryanair.  Probably be able to book a Vaccine Deal with a coffee and croissant thrown in. 😂Probably is a good time to book your flights for the summer - not with Ryanair though- as prices are only going to go higher imo

JudyJudyJudy
55 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

My wife is in social care and hasn't been on public transport since March through assistance with employer reviewing shift patterns with both employees and service users taken into account.  It's not possible in all cases but options are available.

Sridhar didn't so don't go on, it's avoid.  Of course if it's only method, then you have little choice.

We've put barrier after barrier up to the only real solution which for long hasn't been control the virus, but eliminate.

That’s great she can do that but the vast majority Cannot do that or even afford other methods of transport 

8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

At the production rates released for the vaccine people might be able to book to travel in December 2021.

:wtf:

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, typical of Ryanair.  Probably be able to book a Vaccine Deal with a coffee and croissant thrown in. 😂Probably is a good time to book your flights for the summer - not with Ryanair though- as prices are only going to go higher imo

That ***** will probably reverse engineer the idea of vaccine passports by increasing the prices with the incentive of a vaccine discount.

Scottish numbers: 2 January 2021

Summary

• 2,137 new cases of COVID-19 reported [-402]
  • 21,451 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 10.8% of these were positive [-6,862; +1.1%]

Maroon Sailor

We are reminded it's a global pandemic but Celtic fly out to Dubai tonight

Makes you laugh

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

We are reminded it's a global pandemic but Celtic fly out to Dubai tonight

Makes you laugh

Farcical. 

Pity it isn't Dublin as they could stay there.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

19 minutes ago, frankblack said:

At the production rates released for the vaccine people might be able to book to travel in December 2021.

:wtf:

The people in the Ryanair advert look to be in their 20's so probably wouldn't get a vaccine anyway and certainly not by the spring or indeed summer.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Don't even arrest folk on a Saturday but not let them out till Monday afternoon so that they have some explaining to do to their employers anymore.

That was a good deterrent, even a trip in the cop car or van gives you a bit of kick up the arse tbh. 

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Farcical. 

Watch everyone trying to scramble around for last minute deals to Dubai now !

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Its my default position 😂 👍

I will remember that from now, this thread needs more sarcasm and humour imo 😜

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

That was a good deterrent, even a trip in the cop car or van gives you a bit of kick up the arse tbh. 

A criminal record will affect job prospects and result in immediate job termination in a number of sectors.

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, frankblack said:

A criminal record will affect job prospects and result in immediate job termination in a number of sectors.

They could have no complaints about that if it happened. Obviously most of these fans of the uglies won’t have this problem. 

5 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

The numbers look like we need even more restrictions. Back to lockdown 1 maybe. 

Is that basically not where we are with Tier 4?

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

They could have no complaints about that if it happened. Obviously most of these fans of the uglies won’t have this problem. 

True. :rofl:

Just now, Brian Dundas said:

Schools and workplaces are still open that weren’t first time around. Shops aren’t as strict and more are open. Sport is still on the go. 

Schools are - which you know I've made a point or two about on this thread!!

As for workplaces, I think these are limited to essential workplaces open during lockdown 1, with only keyworkers in to for offices e.g. IT Infrastructure + those who cannot work from home.

For sport, I think only professional sport is running  due to testing.  Gyms, leisure centres are shut I believe, but I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

I am no expert on manufacturing but the priority surely is to get the manufacturing capacity in place by whatever means to significantly increase production estimates.

Matt Hancock needs replaced immediately as he has had nine months to plan this on top of his world leading track and trace system.  Incompetence on this scale is intolerable.

Likewise for Swinney and Williamson on Education.  The teaching unions down south are advising their members not to return to work.

Heard on Sky News earlier that there are 50 million doses of the Oxford/AstraZenica vaccine sitting ready and waiting to be rolled out and start vaccinating people..................in India, which was where this 50 million was made.

This is from a few days ago.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/expecting-covid-vaccine-approval-soon-50-million-doses-ready-serum-institute-ceo/articleshow/79995874.cms

Meanwhile in the UK we have...............500,000 waiting ready to go.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Heard on Sky News earlier that there are 50 million doses of the Oxford/AstraZenica vaccine sitting ready and waiting to be rolled out and start vaccinating people..................in India, which was where this 50 million was made.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/expecting-covid-vaccine-approval-soon-50-million-doses-ready-serum-institute-ceo/articleshow/79995874.cms

Sounds like Hancock has ****ed it up Royally again.

I P Knightley
3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Schools are - which you know I've made a point or two about on this thread!!

As for workplaces, I think these are limited to essential workplaces open during lockdown 1, with only keyworkers in to for offices e.g. IT Infrastructure + those who cannot work from home.

For sport, I think only professional sport is running  due to testing.  Gyms, leisure centres are shut I believe, but I could be wrong.

Correct but they're also allowing sport for the under-18s. I was out to walk the dog a week ago and there was what looked to be a minis football tournament going on at an astro pitch by the park I was at. The place was heaving with folk with absolutely no danger that the adults were observing distances as they crammed against the fences to yell at their kids. My lads are having their rugby training (no matches) and football matches as normal (resuming next weekend).

Whilst school is strict about 'bubbles' and so on, it's daft that they then come out and mix for football with boys from 4 or 5 other schools and then play against guys from another 5 or six schools. I let them do it for their mental health and well-being but doubt it's in the best interest of slowing the pandemic.

4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Sounds like Hancock has ****ed it up Royally again.

I think it's more to do with that the UK done away with much of it's manufacturing of serums/vaccines over many years, and now when we really really need vaccines in a hurry we can't make anywhere near enough.

joondalupjambo
4 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Who is it in Scotland ?

Wow there not a political point :lol:

It appears that the guy who is in charge of the British deployment of the vaccine to the NHS, the UK Vaccine Minister is developing a draft deployment plan.  My understanding is that this draft is to then be used as a template when working with the devolved governments in Wales, NI and Scotland.  They would either adopt his plan or tweak them for their own areas as required.  Nothing wrong with that process.  Also once a draft deployment plan is available for discussion then, depending on it's content each devolved government can decide if they need to each nominate a dedicated person to oversee vaccine deployment in their areas.  

It is the Westminster government that is in control here initially because they have to agree purchases, volumes and supply on behalf of the NHS for all areas of the UK.  My point is the UK Vaccine Minister should be showing his face because at the moment he is the one who has the initial responsibility for a national priority.   As it is nothing from him.  I just think he needs to step up, be clear in his message, show the nation leadership in this area and although it will take time to produce a final draft roll out plan at least map out his key proposed actions.

As soon as Scotland appoints a Vaccine Minister, if they ever do and they are pap then I will be happy to call them out as well, don't worry on that front:lol:

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Realistically, who would you replace them with? Anyone vaguely competent was sidelined in 2019 as Cummings made his play to get Johnson surrounded with all those freaks that are currently in the cabinet. No one of suitable competence is anywhere near a cabinet position.

1 hour ago, kila said:

Wonder if Hancock will try the tears on live TV again to try convince us all he is capable of empathy and isn't just a creepy guy with little skillset who likes to rub his dick on random women he walks past.

0_event-cancelled.png

Adam_the_legend
29 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Not defending this cluster**** of a government but India has 1.4 billion people to vaccinate so 50m won’t go as far as you think. 

52 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

The numbers look like we need even more restrictions. Back to lockdown 1 maybe. 

That's the easy option Brian. They need to be far more transparent about where it is spreading and what demographic is tending to spread it. I think we all know that non-compliance of existing rules is causing the problem. In that case, punishing the law abiding majority with more restrictions cannot be justified. Unless you think the spread is caused by the interactions not yet banned under Tier 4?? Schools apart, it doesn't seem plausible. 

20 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

That's the easy option Brian. They need to be far more transparent about where it is spreading and what demographic is tending to spread it. I think we all know that non-compliance of existing rules is causing the problem. In that case, punishing the law abiding majority with more restrictions cannot be justified. Unless you think the spread is caused by the interactions not yet banned under Tier 4?? Schools apart, it doesn't seem plausible. 

I think Schools do now need to be taken to online only until at least February to see if the numbers start dropping.  They also need to stop kids mixing outside school, as what I've witnessed shows shows no regard for following the existing rules even before the tiers.

The governments really don't have any other cards to play unless they start enforcing the rules for the first time ever.

Edited by frankblack

It would appear that vaccines can be supplied now in much greater quantities. Should the roll-out not take priority over testing from now, mass testing without the follow up isolations has proved pretty much ineffective, and we are back at our worst levels. I am sure a lot of the testers could be trained and facilities used to carry out vaccination, testing still has a vital role to play but will not rid us of covid. I realise it is still early days in the vaccine, it is though our only weapon and for once we now can fight back and the quicker the better. Dithering has cost us dear throughout.

42 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Not defending this cluster**** of a government but India has 1.4 billion people to vaccinate so 50m won’t go as far as you think. 

The point I was making wasn't how far 50 million doses would go, it was the fact that India had produced 50 million doses whilst the UK has made a fraction of that amount.

6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

It's not the answer, Brian.

Damaging people's mental, physical and financial (and the overlap between the three) health in order to do something we've done before without success is not going to work any more than it did the first time around.

All effort to vaccinate as quickly as possible must be made, and the most vulnerable forced to shield and be supported in doing so.

It did have success. 

6 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It did have success. 

We should go back to what we had earlier in the year. The tier stuff doesn't work and it all has an entirely different feel to it from the 'full lockdown'. If we're going with restrictions, let's just do it properly. Hard, sharp lockdown whilst we make headway with vaccinations. I still think we need to encourage those who could be considered more vulnerable to further tighten up and avoid things like supermarkets. Yes, anyone can catch it there but not everyone is as likely to end up needing hospitalisation. Make click and collect and home delivery completely free and exclusive for them and those who can't get to the shops. And bring back number restrictions and a proper one way system.

We're all a bit half arsed with it just now. None of the pleasures but also getting none of the benefits (or at least not enough) shut everything down until March.

Edit: I know the 'vulnerable' grouping is loose and will never be defined perfectly but make it anyone who was previously shielding and anyone over the average age of those in ICU for covid. Something like that.

Edited by Taffin

5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It did have success. 

It clearly didn't hence we are in the current situation when we should have a competent track and trace, enforcement of rules, and shutdown of the ports.

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It did have success. 

Things have moved on since then, most notably the virus and its ability to transmit. 

I suspect the appetite politically isn't there. 

I'd have my doubts about the levels of compliance this time round too.

The opportunities to control the virus have been repeatedly missed.

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

We should go back to what we had earlier in the year. The tier stuff doesn't work and it all has an entirely different feel to it from the 'full lockdown'. If we're going with restrictions, let's just do it properly. Hard, sharp lockdown whilst we make headway with vaccinations. I still think we need to encourage those who could be considered more vulnerable to further tighten up and avoid things like supermarkets. Yes, anyone can catch it there but not everyone is as likely to end up needing hospitalisation. Make click and collect and home delivery completely free and exclusive for them and those who can't get to the shops. And bring back number restrictions and a proper one way system.

We're all a bit half arsed with it just now. None of the pleasures but also getting none of the benefits (or at least not enough) shut everything down until March.

I take a view that we now need to start targeting those not following the rules with punative punishments, tighten requirements on face masks, and put emphasis on the big stores and public transport to enforce the rules.

Do away with the exemptions that are being abused.

I think we need to do a trial of keeping Schools and Universities closed to see what effect that has on figures.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic