Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Always wondered about the delivery of vaccines and why injection, with all the logistical issues that creates.

Stumbled across this https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.europeanpharmaceuticalreview.com/news/130177/first-patient-dosed-in-covid-19-vaccine-tablet-clinical-trial/amp/

I think we’re all allowed to dream a little in these crazy times, so just imagine what if.....

Sounds good 👍🏽 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We don't have to look far for one of the reasons things are not improving

Every one of those idiots who tried to gather at the castle should be fined and made to isolate

They should be informed just why their actions are a danger to others and named and shamed

If this leads to an impact on their lives then tough...they are no better than drink drivers

Doctor FinnBarr
33 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Every one of those idiots who tried to gather at the castle should be fined and made to isolate

They should be informed just why their actions are a danger to others and named and shamed

If this leads to an impact on their lives then tough...they are no better than drink drivers

Did people actually try to meet at the castle?

3 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Did people actually try to meet at the castle?

Crowds of several hundred people gathered at Edinburgh Castle to see in the new year despite police and government warnings to stay away.

People sang and danced before dispersing when several police vans and cars drove on to the castle esplanade.

Most Scots heeded warnings to hold Hogmanay celebrations at home with household members.

There were no midnight fireworks at the castle, but a display was held at the Wallace Monument in Stirling.

• A Police Scotland spokesperson said: "We were aware of gatherings at Edinburgh Castle and Calton Hill around midnight on Hogmanay.

"Officers safely engaged with those in attendance and explained the current government regulations resulting in the groups dispersing without incident."

Doctor FinnBarr
23 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Crowds of several hundred people gathered at Edinburgh Castle to see in the new year despite police and government warnings to stay away.

People sang and danced before dispersing when several police vans and cars drove on to the castle esplanade.

Most Scots heeded warnings to hold Hogmanay celebrations at home with household members.

There were no midnight fireworks at the castle, but a display was held at the Wallace Monument in Stirling.

• A Police Scotland spokesperson said: "We were aware of gatherings at Edinburgh Castle and Calton Hill around midnight on Hogmanay.

"Officers safely engaged with those in attendance and explained the current government regulations resulting in the groups dispersing without incident."

Oh, cheers CJGJ

8 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Watch the link TW shared. It explains things far better than I could. All I will say though is we have shut the world down for a virus with a survival rate of 99.8%. I’ll trust my immune system if you don’t mind.

What would the survival rate have been if they hadn’t shut it down?

manaliveits105
48 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

From the pictures on tv “ several hundred” seemed to be an over exaggeration to drum up a big story 

and only in Edinburgh of course - no where else 

The Mighty Thor
7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Could you name 5 things that these horrible Eurocrats held those wonderful chaps at Westminster back from achieving in the last ten years say?

You're barking up the wrong tree here. 

7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I used to say the same about old folk, now it’s come to me 🙄😢🤬😜

It's not old, not these days 👍

7 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

So as an over 50 key worker its ok for me to work but not do my own shopping? Away and bile yer heid.

Yes. Same as I'm able to go to work and work with 15 people but can't in my spare time, and same as an asthmatic key worker who can go to work without a mask but not the supermarket, as was being suggested. I'm getting on board with the 'tough' approach to restrictions. 

We've got to take the pressure off the NHS.

Edited by Taffin

joondalupjambo

Remember that game, "Where's Wally" well this week let's play, "Where's the Vaccine Minister".

If anybody sees him please be kind enough to let all the posters on this thread know.

Thanks

5 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Would have been easy to kettle them on the esplanade for the night 🤷‍♂️

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-01-01/covid-new-uk-strain-increases-r-number-by-up-to-07-and-is-most-common-in-under-20s

If this is even close to being true there is not a chance schools will be back. The first lockdown in March got the r number down to 0.6-0.7, even at the lowest estimate on the new stream that wouldn’t be close enough to get R under 1.

Also being reported they are hoping to get up to producing 2M vaccines a week, that would still take a year just to fulfill the U.K. order and this assumes everything goes well. 

There needs to be an international fund set up to significantly increase production capacity ASAP. Get on a war footing. It's in everyone's interests to get this done. 

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

There needs to be an international fund set up to significantly increase production capacity ASAP. Get on a war footing. It's in everyone's interests to get this done. 

Good idea, 

The Mighty Thor
7 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The reality of that will be we'll outsource contracts for hundreds of millions of pounds to companies with no prior experience, owned by the friends of the current prime minister and his chums. 

Oh and we'll get feck all at the end of it. 

We need more corruption IMO ☹

Governor Tarkin
13 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The reality of that will be we'll outsource contracts for hundreds of millions of pounds to companies with no prior experience, owned by the friends of the current prime minister and his chums. 

Oh and we'll get feck all at the end of it. 

We need more corruption IMO ☹

Well we'll get it one way or another so you can rest easy on that count.

It's telling that there has been absolutely no attempt at strong international leadership on this one.

Various blocs have had a go at a measure of coordinated effort but absolutely no one has taken the bull by the horns.

Governments around the world are quick enough to chuck billions at proxy wars for their buddies, but on a global pandemic hardly a brass button.

When the dust settles heads should roll.

Literally.

12 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Best advice with the news is to switch it off. I've given up listening to it tbh. In terms of this feckin SAGE mob that constantly whinge about more restrictions....do they really believe that adding yet more population control measures to Tier 4 will make a whit of difference?? Is that where it's spreading?? Of course not.

Enforce the laws that are already in force ffs. Tesco ditched their one way system the same day that masks were made "compulsory". Why is it not being reinstated? Limited numbers inside, someone on the door monitoring the queue, no mask no entry. I'm fed up hearing about folk being stigmatised or offended or picked on. If you can't wear a mask , stay in your house and ask a neighbour to do your shopping.  As a country, we need to grow a pair. Same with buses, if you don't have a mask, you don't get on. House parties,  if you're caught once you're warned , any recurrence and you're jailed for 10 days to isolate. The very fact we call our Police Force a "service ", tells you all you need to know about this shambles of a country. Presided over by a cabal of glorified, hand wringing leftie social workers down at the Shortbread Senate. The law abiding majority need to resist any further restrictions being imposed and insist that existing rules are enforced. We need a timetable for lifting restrictions not demented hysteria about adding more. Rant over.

On face of it, I can agree with a lot of that.

Supermarkets despite being asked months ago to reintroduce the more strict measures, many don't appear to have done whilst small independents do.  And this is one of the sectors least impacted during this.  I know what was determined 'essential' in Wales was a bit farcical but the response and huffiness from retailers allowed to open was pathetic, all things considered.

Re the justice approach harsh reality is we can't afford to shove all and sundry in jail.  But the 'educate' once, twice, three times, small fine approach doesn't work.  If someone has a rave etc... whack in with officers, minimum 1000 quid fine for attendees arrested and for organisers, yep both jail and fines for organisers.  And even then, they probably don't care.

Edited by DETTY29

23 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

When the dust settles heads should roll.

Literally.

Comrade ✊🏻

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47qweoqp3gkrjc0mck6so

The Real Maroonblood
7 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Apparently the police spoke nicely to them about it.

:rofl:

1. Obvs

2. Not sure of new strain 'excuse' as previously she would rather schools stayed open.

3. Large retailers need to reintroduce queuing and one way systems, challenge non mask wearing, number restrictions and so on.

4. See above re challenge non mask wearing if essential to go public transport.  Not sure why outside crowds need to be avoided too message hasn't been stronger or if can't be avoided, put your mask on.

5.  The multi billion pound 'how' to fund question?  10-ish per cent compliance surely a key reason we can't keep infection rates under control.

PS - she has been on the ball a lot of the time and pretty recommended the NZ approach and that in out, in, out of tiers and lockdowns don't work.

Do it, and do it properly.  But that boat has sailed every passing week since February last year.

Edited by DETTY29

manaliveits105
2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Remember that game, "Where's Wally" well this week let's play, "Where's the Vaccine Minister".

If anybody sees him please be kind enough to let all the posters on this thread know.

Thanks

Who is it in Scotland ?

scott herbertson
6 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

From the pictures on tv “ several hundred” seemed to be an over exaggeration to drum up a big story 

and only in Edinburgh of course - no where else 

Indeed - I read all the BBC coverage on Edinburgh and saw it on the news too. Thought "pity edinburghs disgraced itself whereas everywhere else it's been observed"

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/new-year-revellers-thought-parties-23247609

16 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Indeed - I read all the BBC coverage on Edinburgh and saw it on the news too. Thought "pity edinburghs disgraced itself whereas everywhere else it's been observed"

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/new-year-revellers-thought-parties-23247609

The mirror link mentions something about a rave at a church, what they didn't say is that the scum broke into the 500 year old chruch and caused at least £1000 worth of damage to it by smashing windows etc, the organisors had even hired portaloos.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-55506681

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

You're barking up the wrong tree here. 

Sorry didn’t realise you were being sarcastic 😆

Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Once again the police allow folk breaking the law to just walk away, it will happen again today outside Ibrox and maybe Celtic Park depending on the result. 

Seymour M Hersh

Out of interest I've seen lot of vaccination roll chat referring to England & Wales but have vaccinations started in Scotland yet and if so how many have been given to date? 

scott herbertson
11 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Out of interest I've seen lot of vaccination roll chat referring to England & Wales but have vaccinations started in Scotland yet and if so how many have been given to date? 

+33,381 (this week)

From the Travelling Tabby Website

https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/

15 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Once again the police allow folk breaking the law to just walk away, it will happen again today outside Ibrox and maybe Celtic Park depending on the result. 

I think there are legitimate reasons here to give the police tazers and free license to use them at will. 👍

54 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The mirror link mentions something about a rave at a church, what they didn't say is that the scum broke into the 500 year old chruch and caused at least £1000 worth of damage to it by smashing windows etc, the organisors had even hired portaloos.

You are probably looking at organised criminals here.

However, there should be a trace of who hired portaloos unless it was cash in hand.  In any case the company hiring those should be liable for a fine too for failing to do their due dilligence.

17 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Already has and video shows pc plod doing nothing...both Celtic fans at departure and Rangers fans on Celtics arrival

I'm fed up with the lack of action and maybe we should organise our own gathering knowing they will do nothing but then again some stick to the guidance

3 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Already has and video shows pc plod doing nothing...both Celtic fans at departure and Rangers fans on Celtics arrival

I'm fed up with the lack of action and maybe we should organise our own gathering knowing they will do nothing but then again some stick to the guidance

SPFL will do nothing when either of those two are involved but probably dock Hearts 15 points or abandon and void the Championship if we do it.

Edited by frankblack

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

However, there should be a trace of who hired portaloos unless it was cash in hand.  In any case the company hiring those should be liable for a fine too for failing to do their due dilligence.

I was thinking the same about the portaloos as well, deliver a couple of portaloos to this church, you'd think the company is going to question that, maybe they did, who knows.

I think the reason it's still happening is that there is little to no deterent, they get fined, appeal and go to court and get the fines scrapped, where's the deterent in that.

32 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not just the UK, been a rave going on for days in France, Police have come under attack when they tried to break it up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55513167

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Pasquale for King
23 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I think there are legitimate reasons here to give the police tazers and free license to use them at will. 👍

Definitely. The weegie police have gone soft. 

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I thought raves were a 90s form of social connection, never been to one myself😏

7 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Not just the UK, been a rave going on for days in France, Police have come under attack when they tried to break it up.

There comes a point of zero tolerance.

Send in the riot police, tear gas, and batons and take no prisoners.  Once they know you aren't messing around it soon stops.

Pasquale for King
22 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

We really shouldn’t be surprised, these *******s have got away with breaking the law for years. Doesn’t make it right though. 

19 minutes ago, frankblack said:

10 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I was thinking the same about the portaloos as well, deliver a couple of portaloos to this church, you'd think the company is going to question that, maybe they did, who knows.

I think the reason it's still happening is that there is little to no deterent, they get fined, appeal and go to court and get the fines scrapped, where's the deterent in that.

I'd say you are both right for many of these gatherings.

Organised crime where the organisers aren't bothered about having a criminal record and due to knowing how to play system the risk of jail is minimal.

Maybe it's attendees that need to get hammered with excessive fines?

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Send in the riot police, tear gas, and batons and take no prisoners.  Once they know you aren't messing around it soon stops.

I'm surprised that the French plod haven't done so already.

They're not famous for their softly-softly approach to crowd control.

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The UK is soft when it comes to this.

Pasquale for King
42 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I was talking about Scotland not the U.K. 
The French police have been attacking legitimate protestors for years, I don’t have any sympathy for them.
It’s when folk are actually breaking the law nothing happens that annoys me, like anti Vac protestors outside hospitals down south or stinking fans of the uglies. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Direction of travel on schools seems to suggest they'll remain closed for a while.  Would not be surprised if they're shut until mid Feb throughout the UK.

Another thing I can see happening is another shift in the vaccine policy.  I think they'll scrap the second dose altogether.  Single dose for everyone initially and then a secondary programme of two doses three weeks apart late in the year.

Pasquale for King
31 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

I'd say you are both right for many of these gatherings.

Organised crime where the organisers aren't bothered about having a criminal record and due to knowing how to play system the risk of jail is minimal.

Maybe it's attendees that need to get hammered with excessive fines?

They’re appealing the £10k fines and getting off with it, it’s an absolute joke.

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

They’re appealing the £10k fines and getting off with it, it’s an absolute joke.

Don't even arrest folk on a Saturday but not let them out till Monday afternoon so that they have some explaining to do to their employers anymore.

Governor Tarkin
9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Another thing I can see happening is another shift in the vaccine policy.  I think they'll scrap the second dose altogether.  Single dose for everyone initially and then a secondary programme of two doses three weeks apart late in the year.

That's maybe a good shout.

12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Direction of travel on schools seems to suggest they'll remain closed for a while.  Would not be surprised if they're shut until mid Feb throughout the UK.

My son's school is staggering the return of pupils, from Tuesday the first pupils will be children of key workers, the week after all pupils in year 10/11 that have exams this year then all children will back in on the 18th, home schooling wiil expected to be done for those at home from Tuesday untill the 18th.

Also, they are carrying out covid tests at the school.

This is in Cumbria. 

Edited by Dawnrazor

JudyJudyJudy
On 31/12/2020 at 20:13, Enzo Chiefo said:

Stop using reason and common sense James. Wrong thread for that. Back to cowering under your safety blanket until someone from the State gives the all clear.😂.  Seriously, if someone had told me in January that in the UK, govts would be telling us who to see, where, how far you could travel from home, where to work,to download a State tracker on your phone and that NHS staff would be knocking on doors telling elderly people to display DNR notices in their homes, well, you get the rest.....China, who started this sorry s**t show, yes, but in the UK?? That some nutters seem to defend this,  simply beggars belief. Anyway, Happy New Year to you and your family!

👍👍

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

1. Obvs

2. Not sure of new strain 'excuse' as previously she would rather schools stayed open.

3. Large retailers need to reintroduce queuing and one way systems, challenge non mask wearing, number restrictions and so on.

4. See above re challenge non mask wearing if essential to go public transport.  Not sure why outside crowds need to be avoided too message hasn't been stronger or if can't be avoided, put your mask on.

5.  The multi billion pound 'how' to fund question?  10-ish per cent compliance surely a key reason we can't keep infection rates under control.

PS - she has been on the ball a lot of the time and pretty recommended the NZ approach and that in out, in, out of tiers and lockdowns don't work.

Do it, and do it properly.  But that boat has sailed every passing week since February last year.

Ok for her to say “ Avoid public transport “ when it’s essential method of transport for many people going to their mainly “ working class “ jobs . Not unsurprisingly this group amongst the highest To catch covid . She lives in cloud cuckoo land at times . 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic