Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I know it’s early days but I don’t think we have heard anything other than mild symptoms ? 

Worrying about a mild virus really needs to be knocked on the head and should never had started to be honest. 

We don't know yet.  The South Africa evidence was amongst younger people.  The effects in another demographic aren't known.  Look,  if it proves out that this wont cause healthcare services demand at scale then great.  Problem goes away.  My guess is that the boosters will protect the majority when rolled out.  But governments are never going to allow the possibility of hospitals being swamped.  They have no choice but to plan for a bad case scenario.  If it's better case then everyone wins.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

We don't know yet.  The South Africa evidence was amongst younger people.  The effects in another demographic aren't known.  Look,  if it proves out that this wont cause healthcare services demand at scale then great.  Problem goes away.  My guess is that the boosters will protect the majority when rolled out.  But governments are never going to allow the possibility of hospitals being swamped.  They have no choice but to plan for a bad case scenario.  If it's better case then everyone wins.

What we do know so far is being ignored in favour of what we don’t. So that’s my point and I know you won’t agree but we are running about scaremongering. We’ve been done this road before but it’s part of the bigger issue for me of what gets released to the public. Constant barrage of fears, case numbers and deaths relating to covid. I just wish they’d tell us nowt till they had actually something to say. Who benefits from the current message of fear or more restrictions constantly being threatened or hanging over us ? No one, so what’s the ****ing point. 

Just now, Dazo said:

What we do know so far is being ignored in favour of what we don’t. So that’s my point and I know you won’t agree but we are running about scaremongering. We’ve been done this road before but it’s part of the bigger issue for me of what gets released to the public. Constant barrage of fears, case numbers and deaths relating to covid. I just wish they’d tell us nowt till they had actually something to say. Who benefits from the current message of fear or more restrictions constantly being threatened or hanging over us ? No one, so what’s the ****ing point. 

Not practical.  The 'something' was and always will be something that needs to be studied,  data gathered,  evaluated,  etc.  There isn't any way to provide instant conclusions in such a context.  They can't simply say nothing and keep people in the dark.  This news came out of another country for one thing.  

We are where we are and we have what we have.  The very nature of this thing can only ever involve some periods of uncertainty and possibilities of poor situations,  etc.  There's no way to avoid it I'm afraid.

Dennis Denuto
8 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I very much disagree, there have been only very small alterations to the restrictions regarding travel and isolation rules for this variant, all designed to give us more time to study the effects of it. So while I can understand people who have had travel plans disrupted being upset there is no sense we are ignoring what is known

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Not practical.  The 'something' was and always will be something that needs to be studied,  data gathered,  evaluated,  etc.  There isn't any way to provide instant conclusions in such a context.  They can't simply say nothing and keep people in the dark.  This news came out of another country for one thing.  

We are where we are and we have what we have.  The very nature of this thing can only ever involve some periods of uncertainty and possibilities of poor situations,  etc.  There's no way to avoid it I'm afraid.

Disagree. We keep people in the dark and prepare behind the scenes for a all manner of things. After a year of telling people the only way out of this is through the vaccine and them say it might not be isn’t on. After a tremendous effort by all on the vaccine I think now it should be downplayed until we actually have something to worry about. 

4 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

I very much disagree, there have been only very small alterations to the restrictions regarding travel and isolation rules for this variant, all designed to give us more time to study the effects of it. So while I can understand people who have had travel plans disrupted being upset there is no sense we are ignoring what is known

I was more meaning the message that is getting put out there. As things stand we don’t have anything to worry about. That might change and that’s the time to prepare people. 

Our wee unionist band are really clutching at straws trying to equate the rule breaking, parties and total outright lying by the tories with the FM standing up at a wake for 10 seconds before she remembered to put a mask on. And they call the SNP a cult 😂😂😂😂

Dennis Denuto
2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I was more meaning the message that is getting put out there. As things stand we don’t have anything to worry about. That might change and that’s the time to prepare people. 

You mean pish like this on the BBC feed that makes no sense and has no context or explanation - I'll agree 100% this isn't helping anyone- 

Ministers should urgently consider restrictions - Sage

The number of people needing hospital treatment for the Omicron variant may reach at least 1,000 a day in England by the end of the year without extra restrictions being put in place, scientists advising the government have said.

The BBC has seen leaked minutes of a meeting of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) held on Tuesday.

They say the government needs to "urgently" consider the need for measures to reduce transmissions of the virus and protect the NHS from "unsustainable pressure".

The BBC understands the estimates used by Sage are based on very early preliminary data and there is much uncertainty about the scale of any future Omicron wave and its impact on hospital admissions.

But the scientists say the peak of the wave is "highly likely to be higher" than 1,000 to 2,000 Omicron admissions per day without new rules to slow the spread of rising infections.

There are currently around 680 people admitted to hospital each day with the Delta variant in England.

At the peak of the last winter wave of coronavirus, hospitals in England were admitting 3,811 people a day infected with the virus.

What's not yet clear is whether Omicron will replace infections from the older Delta variant or whether both variants will spread at the same time, at least in the short term. Scientists say that will depend on the degree to which they are infecting different groups or cohorts of people, which is not currently known.

6 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Disagree. We keep people in the dark and prepare behind the scenes for a all manner of things. After a year of telling people the only way out of this is through the vaccine and them say it might not be isn’t on. After a tremendous effort by all on the vaccine I think now it should be downplayed until we actually have something to worry about. 

Then how do you suppress news and quite possibly a worsening clinical picture coming out of other countries?  People aren't idiots.  They'll want to know what's going on.  Moreover,  businesses always need notice of things to plan ahead.

Sorry but the kind of suppression of news and information you suggest simply isn't possible in a modern,  high information disseminating world.

8 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

You mean pish like this on the BBC feed that makes no sense and has no context or explanation - I'll agree 100% this isn't helping anyone- 

The number of people needing hospital treatment for the Omicron variant may reach at least 1,000 a day in England by the end of the year without extra restrictions being put in place, scientists advising the government have said.

The BBC has seen leaked minutes of a meeting of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) held on Tuesday.

They say the government needs to "urgently" consider the need for measures to reduce transmissions of the virus and protect the NHS from "unsustainable pressure".

The BBC understands the estimates used by Sage are based on very early preliminary data and there is much uncertainty about the scale of any future Omicron wave and its impact on hospital admissions.

But the scientists say the peak of the wave is "highly likely to be higher" than 1,000 to 2,000 Omicron admissions per day without new rules to slow the spread of rising infections.

There are currently around 680 people admitted to hospital each day with the Delta variant in England.

At the peak of the last winter wave of coronavirus, hospitals in England were admitting 3,811 people a day infected with the virus.

What's not yet clear is whether Omicron will replace infections from the older Delta variant or whether both variants will spread at the same time, at least in the short term. Scientists say that will depend on the degree to which they are infecting different groups or cohorts of people, which is not currently known.

"Context " ?

It couldn't be simpler.

And if you REALLY need context , read it again after reading this -

Studies suggest Pfizer shot may protect only partially against Omicron The University Hospital, Frankfurt, found that that the ability to mount an antibody response to Omicron in people who had 3 shots of Pfizer was up to 37 times lower than to Delta. 

What’s worse “An antibody response to Omicron half a year after a two-shot regimen of Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna or a mixed course of AstraZeneca/BioNTech was not even measurable” This is worse than the Sigal lab study seen yesterday.

This is the Sigal Lab study circulated yesterday. Decidedly not good news but suggesting that double jabbed + prior infection still provides some worthwhile ABs. The question is for how long?

We know people who have been boosted have caught covid.

Edited by NANOJAMBO

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Then how do you suppress news and quite possibly a worsening clinical picture coming out of other countries?  People aren't idiots.  They'll want to know what's going on.  Moreover,  businesses always need notice of things to plan ahead.

Sorry but the kind of suppression of news and information you suggest simply isn't possible in a modern,  high information disseminating world.

Thankfully the public are reading the room for themselves and making decisions for themselves. A poll shown on BBC yesterday said 62% of those interviewed supported measures to suppress the virus and in the current climate I find that surprisingly high. Hopefully people can still be won over despite the shambles in govt currently. 

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I’m not convinced the masses would give a **** about news in other countries regarding this to be honest. Bottom line, we are creating needless fear and worry for people and businesses. You don’t agree, I’m okay with that. 

15 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Yes things like that should not be in the public eye. It’s advice for the government not Karen on Facebook. 

Dennis Denuto
1 minute ago, Dazo said:

Yes things like that should not be in the public eye. It’s advice for the government not Karen on Facebook. 

I tend to agree that there is no need for SAGE advice to be leaked, as you can see it has already caused NANO to shite the bed prematurely.

There does not so far look like there is any need to extend the restrictions, at least up here anyway

Nucky Thompson
15 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Our wee unionist band are really clutching at straws trying to equate the rule breaking, parties and total outright lying by the tories with the FM standing up at a wake for 10 seconds before she remembered to put a mask on. And they call the SNP a cult 😂😂😂😂

I didn't give a feck about Elsie forgetting her mask at a wake, but Margaret Ferrier travelling on a train to London knowing she could be infected is a different kettle of fish.

As for the SNP cult, you epitomise it :lol:

Nucky Thompson
12 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Thankfully the public are reading the room for themselves and making decisions for themselves. A poll shown on BBC yesterday said 62% of those interviewed supported measures to suppress the virus and in the current climate I find that surprisingly high. Hopefully people can still be won over despite the shambles in govt currently. 

Absolutely incredible :rofl:

Nucky Thompson
38 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

FFS. Hospitalisations were sitting at 0ver 1000 a day 4 weeks ago and have dropped down to just over 700 today.

Deaths have dropped for the last 4 weeks too.

Does anyone except NANO JAMBO get taken in by that pish

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

FFS. Hospitalisations were sitting at 0ver 1000 a day 4 weeks ago and have dropped down to just over 700 today.

:rofl:

25 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Pfizer say 3 shots are enough against όμικρον.

Can anyone say to within two places how many will be needed against the next variant, πι.

Will depend on how far the next major variant mutates and what parts of it mutates, but that's down to mother nature to where she wants to go with this, us humans are just constantly playing catch-up. 

Dennis Denuto
4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The same Live Feed has a story that 3 shots of Pfizer gives the same protection against Omicron as 2 shots on Delta.

So I think we can keep our powder dry for a bit longer yet

57 minutes ago, XB52 said:

The big difference is she held her hands up and said sorry. Boris the Buffoon and his cronies on the other hand take the pee by lying until there is no way out then try and bambosel us by obfuscation and deflection whilst throwing underlings under the bus. 

Edited by Boy Daniel
Throwing

11 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The government(s) unfortunately. Everything was going swimmingly (as best it can) until the discovery of Omicron...which may we'll have been well in existence for a while whilst we were still navigating seemingly calm waters. Since then very little has changed other than the reaction and narrative. 

Nucky Thompson
7 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Have you actually been out mixing and witnessing people's behaviours recently?

Most folk are done with this and I find it hard to believe that anywhere near 62% will be happy or comply.

Won over :vrface:

5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Most folk are done with this and I find it hard to believe that anywhere near 62% will be happy or comply.

Rose street bars would certainly back this up. Mask wearing or enforcement appears to have been given up. I go to the same petrol most mornings and I appear to be the only one wearing a mask when going in to pay. 

12 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Yes most are just getting on with life despite the media avalanche and onslaught of fear mongering 

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I didn't give a feck about Elsie forgetting her mask at a wake, but Margaret Ferrier travelling on a train to London knowing she could be infected is a different kettle of fish.

As for the SNP cult, you epitomise it :lol:

😂😂😂😂 Absolutely Raging that Bojo is shown to be a total lying moron...... But but but snp snp snp 😂😂😂😂. Typical brain dead unionist that would rather see Scotland run by that moron 😂😂😂😂

Nucky Thompson
14 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes most are just getting on with life despite the media avalanche and onslaught of fear mongering 

I find it incredible that some people still think that they need to be kept safe by 'Nicola'

3 minutes ago, XB52 said:

😂😂😂😂 Absolutely Raging that Bojo is shown to be a total lying moron...... But but but snp snp snp 😂😂😂😂. Typical brain dead unionist that would rather see Scotland run by that moron 😂😂😂😂

3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I find it incredible that some people still think that they need to be kept safe by 'Nicola'

Same here . 

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Bozo the Clown hosting a presser at 6pm

hopefully handing in his notice.

Be careful what you wish for . Anyone replacing him has to be more competent ! Surely ! 

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Aye, you've got me there. Totally raging so I am :rofl:

A foaming at the mouth, Nationalist cult member calling anyone brain dead :wattie:

Nucky Thompson
7 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Bozo the Clown hosting a presser at 6pm

hopefully handing in his notice.

The fecking cheek of the man. He'll be hitting the English with plan B.

35 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

No one down there will listen to anything he has to say now 

35 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

And the reply will most likely be, bollocks with that idea.

I just can't see most people in England complying with any more chnages, especially after the party fiasco.

Footballfirst
43 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

You mean aligning England with Scotland?

2 hours ago, Dazo said:

Alas if it was all we would be in a significantly better place. As a result of a selfish but significant minority the chance to end this has passed so it'll now in all probability be with us for generations to come.

Boosters will be annual, like flu. Thankfully we have the choice to take it or leave it.

Victorian nailed it earlier though - it's actually about the NHS's ability to cope (or rather lack of) and the governments desire to make sure it doesn't fall over.  There is an adult conversation that needs to take place in this space but no one wants to criticise the NHS in any way.

moving to Plan B in England

WFH guidance to be re-introduced from next week

Face masks back in for most places like cinemas

NHS covid pass mandatory for venues dependent on capacity, negative LFT sufficient along with being double jabbed

Daily tests for close contacts

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Has anyone checked to see if Neil Oliver is OK?

i think he might have steam coming out of his ears going by this from earlier today

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Correct, Just go to a match at Tynecastle, less than 10% are following the guidance or rules.

Dennis Denuto
6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

"play your part, get boosted"

Rings hollow; it was play your part get vaccinated.

There was always the chance that boosters were going to be required, especially with new variants. 

vaccination was a game changer, you can’t deny it. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic