Budge update on Sporting Director role

Juanjo

4 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I know you are, but what am I... etc...

I have no idea what you are. Now are we finished?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• soonbe110

• Thomaso

• Adam_the_legend

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

That would be ridiculous.....almost as ridiculous as when someone is fired from their job and is asked by their employer to hang around and offer advice.😉

Don’t know where you have worked but I have seen it happen countless times. Successful many times as well. 

7 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

That would be ridiculous.....almost as ridiculous as when someone is fired from their job and is asked by their employer to hang around and offer advice.😉

So at no point in the last few weeks, months have you said that if Levein had any decency he should walk away and stop being a wage thief? 

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Don’t know where you have worked but I have seen it happen countless times. Successful many times as well. 

I worked in senior managerial positions in the construction industry for over 35 years and I have never seen this happen - but tell me more? 🤔

4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

So at no point in the last few weeks, months have you said that if Levein had any decency he should walk away and stop being a wage thief? 

Apparently it’s his arrogance that prevents him doing so.

Show me the post where I called Levein a “wage thief”?

1 minute ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I worked in senior managerial positions in the construction industry for over 35 years and I have never seen this happen - but tell me more? 🤔

People not succeeding in a specific role, but clearly have a contribution to make, move them sideways or down a step and allow them to recover and re-establish themselves and their performance levels. Happens a lot in technology, finance industries 

1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Apparently it’s his arrogance that prevents him doing so.

Ah the penny’s dropped at last! 👍🏼

1 minute ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Show me the post where I called Levein a “wage thief”?

I never said you did, I was just asking a question. 

Just now, soonbe110 said:

People not succeeding in a specific role, but clearly have a contribution to make, move them sideways or down a step and allow them to recover and re-establish themselves and their performance levels. Happens a lot in technology, finance industries 

So that’s what Ann is doing with her pal “allow him to recover and re-establish himself” at the Club?

Sneaky!

2 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Ah the penny’s dropped at last! 👍🏼

Only got your word for that tbh. What happened between the two of you anyway? I imagine he passed you when you were fitting windaes and didn’t compliment them or something? Or did you offer him some football coaching advice and he wasn’t interested? 

I never said you did, I was just asking a question. 

Aye right then. 😏

1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Only got your word for that tbh. What happened between the two of you anyway? I imagine he passed you when you were fitting windaes and didn’t compliment them or something? Or did you offer him some football coaching advice and he wasn’t interested? 

I didn’t the fit “windaes” - I did however employ the people who did, and a damn fine job they did to! 👍🏼

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Des' Dad said:

Do you lot realise how much damage your doing to the club you say you love so much. Get behind the manager and the team and stop bitching about Levein/Budge/McPhee et al. It won't change anything and only gives our detractors amunition to ridicule us with or are you too thick to see this?

Until the joint SD announcement that is pretty much where we were - the first page of JKB full of positivity, pleas to pack Tynie for the St Johnstone game, and so on. Now there is one short exclusively positive thread and the rest division. That's not the fans fault. Just as it is not the fans fault that we are joint bottom of the league and already out of contention for a European place. Nor is it the fans fault that we once again, as for almost all of the last five years, are looking at the next transfer window or two being critical. It is one man's responsibility. 

Ann:"Who does he report to?"  CL "Me I suppose". 

Edited by Francis Albert

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Francis Albert said:

Until the joint SD announcement that is pretty much where we were - the first page of JKB full of positivity, pleas to pack Tynie for the St Johnstone game, and so on. Now there is one short exclusively positive thread and the rest division. That's not the fans fault. Just as it is not the fans fault that we are joint bottom of the league and already out of contention for a European place. Nor is it the fans fault that we once again, as for almost all of the last five years, are looking at the next transfer window or two being critical. It is one man's responsibility. 

Ann:"Who does he report to?"  CL "Me I suppose". 

it wasn’t an announcement. She answered media questions.

4 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I didn’t the fit “windaes” - I did however employ the people who did, and a damn fine job they did to! 👍🏼

Ah... he didn’t like your windaes did he? :(

Did you chat fitba?

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

it wasn’t an announcement. She answered media questions.

Christ. She made an announcement in response to media questions. Is that better? Good to get to the heart of the issue.

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Francis Albert said:

Christ. She made an announcement in response to media questions. Is that better? Good to get to the heart of the issue.

She’s trying to keep fans informed. And this is the response.

Just now, Icon of Symmetry said:

Ah... he didn’t like your windaes did he? :(

Did you chat fitba?

You’ve already played that card!
Now unless you have anything to say related to football I respectfully suggest you quit trolling me - it’s against the rules don’t you know!

Francis Albert
5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

She’s trying to keep fans informed. And this is the response.

Are we supposed to be grateful when she announces something we dislike or disagree with? Sorry not announce but answer media questions whatever distinction you draw between the two.

10 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

You’ve already played that card!
Now unless you have anything to say related to football I respectfully suggest you quit trolling me - it’s against the rules don’t you know!

Bit paranoid. I’m just working with your own words here, and trying to understand how you’ve developed this utterly bizarre hatred towards him.

Did you and he chat fitba?

Francis Albert

Anyway back on topic. As my quote of the CL/Ann exchange suggests there was at least a very clear reporting relationship between the Manager and Director of Football and Ann even if the reporting relations in the "football department" were rather ill-defined or defined as everyone reports to me ie Craig.

So in the new structure do Stendel, Craig and McPhee all report to Ann?  Or does one of Craig or McPhee report to the other. What is the reporting relationship between our non-first team coaches and Craig and McPhee. Do they report jointly to both? Or do some report to one and others to the other?

Edited by Francis Albert

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Are we supposed to be grateful when she announces something we dislike or disagree with? Sorry not announce but answer media questions whatever distinction you draw between the two.

But it's nothing we didn't know. McPhee was always in the running for SD. Levein is still doing what she said he'd be doing weeks ago.

Would you prefer Stendel has NO support in recruitment and video analysis until the SD comes in?

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Anyway back on topic. As my quote of the CL/Ann exchange suggests therewas at least a very clear reporting relationship between the Manager and Director of Football and Ann even if the reporting relations in the "football department" were rather ill-defined or defined as everyone reports to me ie Craig.

So in the new structure do Stendel, Craig and McPhee all report to Ann? ) Or does one of Craig or McPhee report to the other. What is the reporting relationship between our non-first team coaches and Craig and McPhee. Do they report jointly to both?

The manager, McPhee and Levein all report to Budge. It's crystal clear. There is no sporting director role yet as we have no SD. That was the EEN clickbait headline. McPhee and Levein just do separate SD-type tasks until the SD comes in.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

The manager, McPhee and Levein all report to Budge. It's crystal clear.

Good, though it seems a bit of a burden on Ann given her other responsibilities.

What about the reporting relationships within the non-first team parts of the "football department"?

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Good, though it seems a bit of a burden on Ann given her other responsibilities.

What about the reporting relationships within the non-first team parts of the "football department"?

Why don't you go to the AGM and ask if it's so important to you?

As far as I know the other parts are fairly self-managing. Academy director, U-20s manager, etc. Kirk is basically his own man but will report to the Manager no doubt when conferring on players to step up to the first team or whatever. I'm going to assume that Stendel will be interested in all of that as he has been hired as someone committed to developing young players.

Do you really think the people we employ need constant supervision and can't keep things ticking along for a month or so as per their job descriptions? Obviously we're continuing whatever initiatives that were underway and will no doubt stall on new ones until the new SD is here. Budge mentioned football tournaments already committed to that needed organisation for example and it sounds like McPhee will handle that.

This is all very sensible to anyone willing to sit back and think things through instead of reacting to headlines.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Quite interesting. 

Now this is a proper headline and standfirst:

Is there method in Hearts' perceived madness of letting Craig Levein fulfil some sporting director duties?

We analyse the logic behind letting a former manager still perform duties at Hearts

4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Why don't you go to the AGM and ask if it's so important to you?

As far as I know the other parts are fairly self-managing. Academy director, U-20s manager, etc. Kirk is basically his own man but will report to the Manager no doubt when conferring on players to step up to the first team or whatever. I'm going to assume that Stendel will be interested in all of that as he has been hired as someone committed to developing young players.

Do you really think the people we employ need constant supervision and can't keep things ticking along for a month or so as per their job descriptions? Obviously we're continuing whatever initiatives that were underway and will no doubt stall on new ones until the new SD is here. Budge mentioned football tournaments already committed to that needed organisation for example and it sounds like McPhee will handle that.

This is all very sensible to anyone willing to sit back and think things through instead of reading to headlines.

Im pretty sure it will be brought up at the AGM.

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, 1971fozzy said:

Im pretty sure it will be brought up at the AGM.

And a fair few won't listen to the answer because they've made up their minds.

Governor Tarkin
46 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

What a patronising ***** :lol:

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

What’s wrong with fitting windaes? 🤷‍♂️

Don't try and play the innocent card with me, laddie. :D

9 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I get your happy with Levein and McPhee being SDs.  I don’t often agree with Gary Mackay but he was spot on in the evening News.

Levein presides over his appointment Ian Cathro who  signs record amount of players like confetti, then decides he will do exactly the same and both  can’t manage them to the extent and in Leveins case he becomes the worst performing manager in our history. 
He is sacked from all roles given a bit part behind the scenes academy job, then low and behold after we appoint a manager Budge can’t wait to promote him (albeit apparently temporarily - we will see) to Sporting Director alongside Austin who also has been a major factor in 3 years of complete dross.

Yes we have had the odd gold coin like Michael Smith but Christ on a bike my granny could sign 80 players and produce one or two great players.

I am really disappointed he is still here and more guttingly gaining more influence 

wouldnae be surprised if we name the new stand after him or erect a statue on the plaza. 

Edited by 1971fozzy

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

I get your happy with Levein and McPhee being SDs.  I don’t often agree with Gary Mackay but he was spot on in the evening News.

Levein presides over his appointment Ian Cathro who  signs record amount of players like confetti, then decides he will do exactly the same and both  can’t manage them to the extent and in Leveins case he becomes the worst performing manager in our history. 
He is sacked from all roles given a bit part behind the scenes academy job, then low and behold after we appoint a manager Budge can’t wait to promote him (albeit apparently temporarily - we will see) to Sporting Director alongside Austin who also has been a major factor in 3 years of complete dross.

Yes we have had the odd gold coin like Michael Smith but Christ on a bike my granny could sign 80 players and produce one or two great players.

I am really disappointed he is still here and more guttingly gaining more influence 

They're not SDs. We don't have an SD until we appoint one. Nowhere does Budge say they're SDs. The EEN said they're SDs. What Budge said is this:

“I know this is unusual in football but Austin brings with him a lot of useful qualities,” said Budge when asked about MacPhee’s future. “He’s been working on the recruitment side of things for a few months now and building relationships with the likes of Man City. I think everyone knows we have a relationship there.

"I don’t want to lose that, so there is still a lot of value, and a big job to do. The squad is bigger than we want it to be. For various reasons we’ve got ourselves into this situation, so we’ve got to trim and bring in new players who can play the style of football Daniel wants to play.

"I want Daniel totally focused on the first-team, totally focused, and he can shout his demands and say ‘I need somebody with this, that and the other’ or ‘this person is not going to work’ and I want somebody else to say ‘okay, we’ll go away and address that’.

“I don’t want to do this big umbrella thing because then people ask if the manager reports to him or does he report to him? They’ve got different jobs.

"I’ve got Craig looking at certain parts of the operation, largely youth, but a bit more than that. Austin will focus very much on recruitment and video analysis, which is very much his strength. He’s the stats man, as you know. Daniel will focus on the first-team.”

Her rationale is the bit in bold, which makes sense to me. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

58 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

So that’s what Ann is doing with her pal “allow him to recover and re-establish himself” at the Club?

Sneaky!

Sensible if she believes he still has a contribution to make and she still trusts him. 

I personally do not know one single Hearts fan who wants him employed. Not one. There’s 6 in my work who never renewed this season because he was manager and they still won’t buy half season tickets because he is still here. 
Pretty sure there’s plenty more. 
Quite why this is not crystal clear to Ann Budge I’ve no idea.

Im ecstatic she’s brought in Stendell to be fair. But need clarity on the reasons he’s not able to bring in his 2 coaches. I’m thinking it’s maybe some blind loyalty. Stendel should be able to have his men here but looks like it’s one hand tied behind his back at the moment anyway.

clear the decks. Those here have had plenty time and failed.

the only acceptable excuse for me is that it’s either a financial thing or the possibility of Barnsley adding the 2 to their compensation case

29 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Quite interesting. 

Pretty much what the more reasonable people have been saying since Tuesday evening.

Geoff Kilpatrick
30 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

How demeaning to our support can you be?

Supporters are fully entitled to disagree with a decision or decisions.

1 hour ago, Paolo said:

What a daft post.   Most posts in this forum are essentially opinion.   Are you saying that every single person should say ‘it is my belief’ or ‘in my opinion’?

Unless you are daft, it is pretty obvious when someone is posting a post as an opinion, or as a fact. 

Not when they use the words"absolute" and "nap"

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Do you know anyone who, when fired from their job, just tells his employer to keep all or most of the money due to him? 
Don’t think you do. 

Rino Gattuso.

He was sacked halfway through his contract with Milan. The club were obliged to pay him his remaining money which amounted to £4.8M. He ordered the club to use the money to pay the remaining two years wages of the back room staff that were going as a result of his sacking.

The club is close to his heart so it was an easy decision for him and he wasn’t short of a bob or two.

Would that happen here ?

🤣🤣

It would appear that offloading players is necessary to provide funds for Stendel in January. Presumably, Daniel will be the one to decide, between now and then, which players he can live without. 

I suppose that does present Levein and MacPhee with a golden opportunity to get something right for a change by convincing other clubs to take them off our hands. It would be refreshing to see them succeed in some capacity. 

I'm trying to look on the bright side here. That's all I've got. 

I've had my say, there's no point in repeating it, so it's all about Saturday for me now and our new man's first game.

C'mon, The Hearts. 

4 minutes ago, martoon said:

It would appear that offloading players is necessary to provide funds for Stendel in January. Presumably, Daniel will be the one to decide, between now and then, which players he can live without. 

I suppose that does present Levein and MacPhee with a golden opportunity to get something right for a change by convincing other clubs to take them off our hands. It would be refreshing to see them succeed in some capacity. 

I'm trying to look on the bright side here. That's all I've got. 

I've had my say, there's no point in repeating it, so it's all about Saturday for me now and our new man's first game.

C'mon, The Hearts. 

Do you think that'll be part of the job?  If they do it well they will ptobably be kept on.

Personally I think that'll be the job of the particular player's agent but I may be wrong.

Since the announcement of Stendel I've tried to think and post in a much more positive and balanced fashion but reading this thread  the patronising and antagonistic fashion of the blind faithers only makes me want to distance myself from any of their beliefs. 

There's a small handful of them that are just utterly unbearable.

number witheld
49 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Aye don’t confuse them with the facts 

7 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Do you think that'll be part of the job?  If they do it well they will ptobably be kept on.

Personally I think that'll be the job of the particular player's agent but I may be wrong.

OK, successfully dealing with their agents, then. 

Ptobably. 

On 10/12/2019 at 23:07, Superunknown said:

She already said Levein would be doing his youth development thing in the background. Not exactly a big deal. 

Folk have been sucked in by the headline here imo. 

Spot on , shock horror: hearts get employee who’s being paid ,to do a job 

21 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

How demeaning to our support can you be?

Supporters are fully entitled to disagree with a decision or decisions.

Correct.  Like a select few are accused of having made up their minds, the usual suspects blind faith and overwhelming backing of failed employees continues. 

Mind boggling stuff and you start to wonder?    

I get we are holding on to certain employees for probably financial reasons but the minute that’s done it’d be nice to have a complete fresh approach, mindset and direction sweep the club. People are scared of change which is just as baffling. 

Its happened all the way through every football club’s history and quite often when we’ve made changes it’s worked. I hope Stendel is single minded, strong willed and his overwhelming passion can let us forget who’s in the background. Riding out the lack of changes through sheer determination.