• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Space Mackerel

• Justin Z

• manaliveits105

• ri Alban

Psychedelicropcircle
1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

Impressive but very misleading. The revenue raised side looks about right. Costs are where it’s misleading. Benefits and Pensions Costs aren’t included as they’re mostly reserved. Around £16bn for non devolved stuff. https://www.gov.scot/publications/2019-annual-report-welfare-reform/pages/3/. Scotland would have its own armed forces of some sort and other machinery of government such as border force, customs, foreign office etc etc. I’m sure it could cope okay but would have to cut its cloth very carefully, especially in the early years when provIng its financial fitness for being admitted to the EU. It would probably have to drop or reduce a lot of the free stuff like tuition fees, prescriptions and care for the elderly.  It also has a demographic time bomb to address with a low birth rate and rapidly growing pensioner population, placing increasing pressure on those working. Immigration would help.

Where did you get your figures and how are they calculated? Genuine, non confrontational question.

The amount of hooses being built around has me convinced the low birth etc must not be accurate.

Space Mackerel

Impressive but very misleading. The revenue raised side looks about right. Costs are where it’s misleading. Benefits and Pensions Costs aren’t included as they’re mostly reserved. Around £16bn for non devolved stuff. https://www.gov.scot/publications/2019-annual-report-welfare-reform/pages/3/. Scotland would have its own armed forces of some sort and other machinery of government such as border force, customs, foreign office etc etc. I’m sure it could cope okay but would have to cut its cloth very carefully, especially in the early years when provIng its financial fitness for being admitted to the EU. It would probably have to drop or reduce a lot of the free stuff like tuition fees, prescriptions and care for the elderly.  It also has a demographic time bomb to address with a low birth rate and rapidly growing pensioner population, placing increasing pressure on those working. Immigration would help.

Where did you get your figures and how are they calculated? Genuine, non confrontational question.

Plenty money in the pot to pay for all that stuff.

9 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

The amount of hooses being built around has me convinced the low birth etc must not be accurate.

That's one locality in a whole nation. The official stats tell a different story I'm afraid https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-49661842

It certainly isn't the only country with the problem. Ex communist Eastern Europe has an even worse problem, exacerbated by their young leaving for opportunities elsewhere.

Space Mackerel
24 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

That's one locality in a whole nation. The official stats tell a different story I'm afraid https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-49661842

It certainly isn't the only country with the problem. Ex communist Eastern Europe has an even worse problem, exacerbated by their young leaving for opportunities elsewhere.

EL8c2xbXUAI_Bmv.jpg

Space Mackerel
12 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

What? It doesn't even deal with my point. Do you only communicate with memes and links?

I did, there is £22 BILLION PER ANUM to pay for all the stuff you mentioned.

And that's with Westminster rule, which is actually economically geared up for the SE of England.

Edited by Space Mackerel

Just now, Space Mackerel said:

I did, there is £22 BILLION to pay for all the stuff you mentioned.

And that's with Westminster rule, which is actually economically geared up for the SE of England.

£16bn for Pensions and Welfare benefits so £6bn left over for everything else. I do think it would manage but £6bn can be gobbled up very quickly without careful management. What would it allocate to defence for example? Less than 2% of GDP and it doesn't get into NATO (which it would be stupid not to join). Scotland's GDP is £180bn so £3.6bn gone from that £6bn already.

Like I say, do-able but it would be a tight ship to start with and only a fool would deny that.

Space Mackerel
1 minute ago, SwindonJambo said:

£16bn for Pensions and Welfare benefits so £6bn left over for everything else. I do think it would manage but £6bn can be gobbled up very quickly without careful management. What would it allocate to defence for example? Less than 2% of GDP and it doesn't get into NATO (which it would be stupid not to join). Scotland's GDP is £180bn so £3.6bn gone from that £6bn already.

Like I say, do-able but it would be a tight ship to start with and only a fool would deny that.

I take it would would be able to borrow like the UK and just about every other country in the world does?

I think youre confusing macro economics with your own household budget SJ.

You do know Scotland sells more than it imports too?

I take it would would be able to borrow like the UK and just about every other country in the world does?

Yes of course I do. Borrowing would be expensive to start with without a credit history. Once it can satisfy the markets that it can pay its way, a credit rating will be earned and borrowing would get cheaper. But it wouldn't be immediate and people would need to be braced for that transitional period while it found its feet, satisfying the markets, the EU etc that it's viable. It would eventually get there though. But it wouldn't be a walk in the park.

Space Mackerel

Yes of course I do. Borrowing would be expensive to start with without a credit history. Once it can satisfy the markets that it can pay its way, a credit rating will be earned and borrowing would get cheaper. But it wouldn't be immediate and people would need to be braced for that transitional period while it found its feet, satisfying the markets, the EU etc that it's viable. It would eventually get there though. But it wouldn't be a walk in the park.

Sometimes you have to take a step back in life to step 2 or 3 forwards.

manaliveits105
7 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

To England 

You can have a pop at her and the SNP all you want but you all know she will do a far better job than Labour and the Lib Dems in holding this new Consevative and Unionist party government to account. Boris Johnson and his government will be making a grave mistake in treating her and Scotland as a county of England.

7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

You can have a pop at her and the SNP all you want but you all know she will do a far better job than Labour and the Lib Dems in holding this new Consevative and Unionist party government to account. Boris Johnson and his government will be making a grave mistake in treating her and Scotland as a county of England.

Good post--that is indeed how this form of government, such that it is, is supposed to work and it seems like far too many important people, especially the party running the government the past decade, have forgotten that simple fact.

SectionDJambo
21 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The obvious drawback, here, is that she won't be the one asking the questions or holding the PM to account. She's not an MP so has to do it through the media, which has far less impact.

She better have someone better than the last guy to do the questioning. Johnston will beat him every time.

On 15/12/2019 at 19:09, manaliveits105 said:

If it wasn’t for the austerity placed upon us by the snps mismanagement of devolved powers Scots could afford huge trees like hers

🤣

Brilliant 

40 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

The obvious drawback, here, is that she won't be the one asking the questions or holding the PM to account. She's not an MP so has to do it through the media, which has far less impact.

She better have someone better than the last guy to do the questioning. Johnston will beat him every time.

Ian Blackford is stil their WM leader, so no change there.  I'd have thought he would have got tired of being made to sit down like a smartarse schoolboy who has been taken apart by the teacher.

The White Cockade
11 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Willie or Maurice?

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

Willie or Maurice?

Ok

Johnson

The scourge of predictive text.

Although Willie and Maurice would probably beat the SNP guy in Westminster too.

Nucky Thompson

How about focusing on important things Nippy, like the Scottish NHS and education.

Also it's a fecking joke that the main road from Scotland's Capital city down to the English border isn't duelled all the way!

23 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

You’ll venture outside of Scotland one day and realize how good the Scottish NHS and Education system actually is.

We've never had it so good. So why leave?

Space Mackerel
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

How about focusing on important things Nippy, like the Scottish NHS and education.

Also it's a fecking joke that the main road from Scotland's Capital city down to the English border isn't duelled all the way!

A1, you’ve clearly never travelled further than Berwick upon Tweed then! :lol:

17A1420A-B0DF-456B-B138-78C59251277B.jpeg

manaliveits105
29 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Our unelected first minister

loved by some despised by many 

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, Space Mackerel said:

I use the A1 most weekends going to my caravan at Haggerston,using that and the nightmare that is Sheriffhall roundabout.

I don't want to use my passport crossing the border every week either.

It's bad enough that we have to buy our booze down there because of her alcohol tax up here

Space Mackerel
5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I use the A1 most weekends going to my caravan at Haggerston,using that and the nightmare that is Sheriffhall roundabout.

I don't want to use my passport crossing the border every week either.

It's bad enough that we have to buy our booze down there because of her alcohol tax up here

So how is the A1 after Berwick? Better or worse? Been further down to Newcastle yet? :)

How much money do you save every week? You must have some alcohol problem surely if you're doing it every week or is this one of those  "things that never happen?"

8 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

So how is the A1 after Berwick? Better or worse? Been further down to Newcastle yet? :)

How much money do you save every week? You must have some alcohol problem surely if you're doing it every week or is this one of those  "things that never happen?"

I have to use this road quite regularly and it's ridiculous that the main road from Edinburgh to Newcastle is still single-lane carriage way for large sections. On the English side there are actually plans to dual the section from Morpeth to Alnwick and a further stretch north of Alnwick. But the A1 north of the border seems to be way down the list of priorities of the Scottish government. The Scottish government deserve credit for prioritising the dualling of the A9 - although I'll be very surprised if they achieve the proposed completion date of 2025. But they really should deal with the A1 as it's a very important route for the Scottish economy.  

Nucky Thompson

Many times. They are duelling the A1 all the way between Morpeth and Alnwick and Alnwick up to Ellingham starting 2021

I bought my Christmas booze at Tesco in Berwick, buy 6 bottles or more of wine and get 25% off. I also had a spend £100 and get £15 off voucher.

The place was full of Scots crossing the border on booze runs.

How is that minimum pricing working out by the way?

Space Mackerel
36 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Sooner we get a proper border in place. 

Then booze cruisers will start paying duty on their illicit alcohol.

As if you believe any of that rubbish? The cost of the fuel outweighs any benefits. Unless you like the bottom of the range crap and drink 8 days a week.

17 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

As if you believe any of that rubbish? The cost of the fuel outweighs any benefits. Unless you like the bottom of the range crap and drink 8 days a week.

It was in pure jest

Sad that people probably do this.

Space Mackerel
2 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

It was in pure jest

Sad that people probably do this.

Doncha know? All the offies have shut within 100 miles North of Berwick and Carlisle 😉

Even sadder that people dont know the tax hike was put on the bottom range of drinks, personally I haven't noticed the slightest  bit of difference to a bottle of wine, can of beer of bottle of malt in the shops.

Nucky Thompson
34 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

How much do you save per week on alcohol?

I don't work it out per week as I buy in bulk when their promotions are on. I save myself a few hundred pounds per season from March to November.

Believe me, people from border towns like Duns and Eyemouth cross the border for their booze when the 25% off 6 bottles promotion is on.

They are trying to target the jakes with their minimum pricing but they will get booze no matter the price.

It's the responsible drinkers who are paying the price.

Surely you don't agree with all the SNP policies just because you're a Nationalist?

Nucky Thompson
17 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Doncha know? All the offies have shut within 100 miles North of Berwick and Carlisle 😉

Even sadder that people dont know the tax hike was put on the bottom range of drinks, personally I haven't noticed the slightest  bit of difference to a bottle of wine, can of beer of bottle of malt in the shops.

The price hike is more on strong lager, cider and spirts, less so on wine but you will still pay 70p to £1 more for the same bottle in Scotland.

It's more the promotions as you don't get multi buys up here.

I notice more because I shop in supermarkets both sides of the border

Space Mackerel
17 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I don't work it out per week as I buy in bulk when their promotions are on. I save myself a few hundred pounds per season from March to November.

Believe me, people from border towns like Duns and Eyemouth cross the border for their booze when the 25% off 6 bottles promotion is on.

They are trying to target the jakes with their minimum pricing but they will get booze no matter the price.

It's the responsible drinkers who are paying the price.

Surely you don't agree with all the SNP policies just because you're a Nationalist?

I have been working down the Borders for 25 years, I know the places like the back of my hand. I can believe the odd people do their shopping over the border just as my mate nips into France from Switzterland to grab stuff.

How can responsible drinkers, who drink in moderation be paying the price? Bevy has stayed the same in my supermarket. Its hardly £10 a bottle for the cheapest wine? Pints are the same in pubs too. Its an absolute nonsense.

Space Mackerel
12 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The price hike is more on strong lager, cider and spirts, less so on wine but you will still pay 70p to £1 more for the same bottle in Scotland.

It's more the promotions as you don't get multi buys up here.

I notice more because I shop in supermarkets both sides of the border

£1 a bottle!!!! :lol:

There's top of the range malts in Sainsburys for £22 the now. Loads.

Nucky Thompson
20 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Normally they’re about £35 to £40.

Do you really let your whole future, kids future and society be dictated by a £200 booze saving? 

No, not at all. I think our futures are brighter staying in the Union.

Space Mackerel
15 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

No, not at all. I think our futures are brighter staying in the Union.

3 positive reasons? 

Edited by Space Mackerel

Trapper John McIntyre
15 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

1. permanent

2. begging

3. bowl

You ain't seen nothin' yet if its ever Indy.

Space Mackerel
2 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

You ain't seen nothin' yet if its ever Indy.

From the guy who reads Effie Deans :rofl: 

Incredible.