Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• kingantti1874

• Bridge of Djoum

kingantti1874
9 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Cheerio

Sorry to disappoint - I think you’ve misunderstood my point. I’ve been enormously supportive of Ann, but Cathro was a mistake, Levein was a mistake, appointing McCall and McCann on the back of now 3 years of on field failure would Lead my to changing my FOH vote from Ann to someone with more knowledge of what it takes on the pitch.. that’s all. 

I’d be far from alone - i think if we appointed McCall as manager the vast majority of our fanbase would be absolutely raging.. 

Bradford fan here, came searching to see the latest on the managerial situation as I'm interested into whether Stuart McCall is in contention.

to add my 2 cents, I'd far from class him as a 'proven failure' he was excellent at Motherwell, and believe me, his sacking at Bradford was a travesty of a decision. we were in the play off's at the time, despite his squad been ripped apart from under him the summer before by the megalomaniac crazy person we had as chairman at that time. the job he did with us, was absolutely outstanding when you consider what he was working under. the season before he took over a squad that had 7 players and no coaching staff, and took us to the play off final, and we went the entire season unbeaten at home. played terrific football too. 

4 minutes ago, Ricc05 said:

Bradford fan here, came searching to see the latest on the managerial situation as I'm interested into whether Stuart McCall is in contention.

to add my 2 cents, I'd far from class him as a 'proven failure' he was excellent at Motherwell, and believe me, his sacking at Bradford was a travesty of a decision. we were in the play off's at the time, despite his squad been ripped apart from under him the summer before by the megalomaniac crazy person we had as chairman at that time. the job he did with us, was absolutely outstanding when you consider what he was working under. the season before he took over a squad that had 7 players and no coaching staff, and took us to the play off final, and we went the entire season unbeaten at home. played terrific football too. 

Sounds very decent from your post. However there is a huge jump from Bradford to Heart of Midlothian. 

Bazzas right boot
On 15/11/2019 at 18:20, bistokid said:

Would be an abysmal appointment, I can only hope the reporting is inaccurate.  2 recent sackings in League 1/2. He did a woeful job at Rangers. His last success, relatively speaking was over 10 years ago. He has neither the back catalogue or youth / innovation on his side leaving us with a wholly uninspiring appointment - to the extent that I'd even prefer McPhee to remain in post.

I am sure I read a rumour that Budge met with Walter Smith for some counsel and this smacks of Walter pointing her in his direction. 

The biggest concern on this is Budge's complete lack of football knowledge and lack of forward thinking people advising her. If Donald Park and Walter Smith are the people you are leaning on then inevitably we will end up with the Largs mafia or someone of that ilk.

This appointment really is defining for Budge in terms of her future tenure and how people will regard her footballing success at the helm. I don't have any faith at the moment that she'll pull it off.

Or, whoever is appointed you could get behind them 100% and judge them on results with us. 

Bazzas right boot
On 16/11/2019 at 13:47, kingantti1874 said:

Sorry to disappoint - I think you’ve misunderstood my point. I’ve been enormously supportive of Ann, but Cathro was a mistake, Levein was a mistake, appointing McCall and McCann on the back of now 3 years of on field failure would Lead my to changing my FOH vote from Ann to someone with more knowledge of what it takes on the pitch.. that’s all. 

I’d be far from alone - i think if we appointed McCall as manager the vast majority of our fanbase would be absolutely raging.. 

Nah, the vast majority would get behind him and judge him on results with us. 

1 minute ago, Famous 1874 said:

Sounds very decent from your post. However there is a huge jump from Bradford to Heart of Midlothian. 

absolutely true. good record in the division with Motherwell, though.

I have a lot of time for him, and would be delighted to see him get what is undoubtedly a very good job. I think he could do a job too. players love him, will run through brick walls for him, and as I said, you shouldn't have any complaints about style of play.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, Smith's right boot said:

Nah, the vast majority would get behind him and judge him on results with us. 

I think that's the problem, his results would have to be rapid and well above average

Bazzas right boot
34 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I think that's the problem, his results would have to be rapid and well above average

Tbh, outwith a select few that has too happen. 

A mix of frustration with CL and some fans just itching to have ammo to shoot Budge down it is where we are. 

McCall is far from the worst on that list when you read a bit into it, in fact for me he rates above the likes of Robinson. 

Too many are already far too eager to criticise and start the abuse and for me it's getting a bit tiresome. 

It's been the same general crowd calling for change throughout Robbie, Cathro and CL's tenure at the earliest opportunity. 

It's almost as if folk are itching for a poor appointment (how can they possibly know this? ) so they can start the same shite, again. 

Not all on here fall into that group, there are concerns and risk about any appointment, but folk claiming they'll give up if a certain manager is appointed are just jokers. 

Looking for an excuse imo. 

Whoever the new man is he should receive our full backing. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

manaliveits105

Alex McDonald was a big Rangers man that worked out fine

McCall gave everything when playing and at whoever he managed

would get my full support as will whoever is appointed

the trolls will be beside themselves especially the vermin trolls but feck them

SuperstarSteve

If it’s the likes of McCann or McCall then it’s a given they won’t last long unless they get off to an unbelievable start. A higher profile name will get more time from fans. 

As pointed out by a few... The negativity and hate isn’t gone,  they are reloading their ammo to fire budge down when this appointment goes tits up. 

Appoint a big name winner (as unlikely as it is) or feel the wrath from the support. It’s crucial she gets this one right. 

Personally I’ll back whoever is in charge but if it’s McCann or McCall then I’ll certainly be buckling up for the ride. 

Fans wanted levein gone for someone better, so the new man will need to match levein achievement (if you can call it that) of heading to Hampden on the regular or that will be used against him I must admit. 

Nucky Thompson

I wouldn't be unhappy if McCall was given the job, decent record with Motherwell and seemingly a good motivator

35 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I wouldn't be unhappy if McCall was given the job, decent record with Motherwell and seemingly a good motivator

I agree Nucky don’t really know who people are expecting, a bit realism required 

1 hour ago, Ricc05 said:

That worked better on this thread!

What was the formation/style at Bradford?

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Or, whoever is appointed you could get behind them 100% and judge them on results with us. 

What's your point? Did I mention I wouldn't 'get behind him' or judge him on results. I am speculating on a potential appointment that I think would fail. That's a very odd response. 

2 hours ago, Ricc05 said:

Thanks for posting. I'd be happy with McCall as manager. Always impressed with his motivational skills at Motherwell. I think most people can't see past his rangers past, but he'd soon win them over if he can get results and improve the entertainment levels. 

Bazzas right boot
42 minutes ago, bistokid said:

What's your point? Did I mention I wouldn't 'get behind him' or judge him on results. I am speculating on a potential appointment that I think would fail. That's a very odd response. 

You said he'd be an "abysmal appointment". 

You then pick him apart. 

If that's you getting behind someone and waiting to judge, I'd hate to see  you  judging straight away. 

Wasn't McCall a huge success at Motherwell? Finished in second place and then third in first two seasons there. And got to two cup semi-finals. That's pretty impressive, especially for a club that size.

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

You said he'd be an "abysmal appointment". 

You then pick him apart. 

If that's you getting behind someone and waiting to judge, I'd hate to see  you  judging straight away. 

Again, what is your point? Whoever is appointed I'll likely have some pre-conceived idea of them. I think he'd be an abysmal appointment based on what I understand about his career to date. Are you saying on a Football Forum we shouldn't opine on potential candidates? As I said, very strange responses- despite your omnipresence here you seem unable to fathom what the board is for.

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, bistokid said:

Again, what is your point? Whoever is appointed I'll likely have some pre-conceived idea of them. I think he'd be an abysmal appointment based on what I understand about his career to date. Are you saying on a Football Forum we shouldn't opine on potential candidates? As I said, very strange responses- despite your omnipresence here you seem unable to fathom what the board is for.

You said

" he would be an abysmal appointment" 

I said, in general - you should get behind him and judge him on results. 

Clearly indicating rather than jump to abysmal, folk would be better waiting, give him a chance at Hearts. 

Imo you are not, you're frothing at the mouth, spouting pish as if it were fact based on his history (which you were selective in highlighting). 

See, I do see how  a football forum  works. 👍 Opinions. 

Are You now saying you will judge him at his time at Hearts?

Based on your posting you stated-he would be a abysmal appointment? 

I don't know what you are saying now tbh.

Absymal? 

Maybe Absymal? 

Wait and see? 

Edited by Smith's right boot

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

You said

" he would be an abysmal appointment" 

I said, in general - you should get behind him and judge him on results. 

Clearly indicating rather than jump to abysmal, folk would be better waiting, give him a chance at Hearts. 

Imo you are not, you're frothing at the mouth, spouting pish as if it were fact based on his history (which you were selective in highlighting). 

See, I do see how  a football forum  works. 👍 Opinions. 

Are You are now saying you will judge him at his time at Hearts?

Based on your posting you stated-he would be a abysmal appointment? 

I don't know what you are saying now tbh.

Absymal? 

Maybe Absymal? 

Wait and see? 

I am not clairvoyant. Do I need to say it's my opinion and I cannot see into future? Surely you can use your common sense?  

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, bistokid said:

I am not clairvoyant. Do I need to say it's my opinion and I cannot see into future? Surely you can use your common sense?  

Anyway, my point stands. 

Any sane person will judge him on results with us, then decide if he was an abysmal appointment or otherwise. 

That's what I'll do before jumping to abysmal. 

kingantti1874
38 minutes ago, steven_mck said:

Wasn't McCall a huge success at Motherwell? Finished in second place and then third in first two seasons there. And got to two cup semi-finals. That's pretty impressive, especially for a club that size.

big success at rangers, Bradford and Scunthorpe Utd as well. 

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

big success at rangers, Bradford and Scunthorpe Utd as well. 

:sarcasm:

Bradford fan on this thread seemed to think he did well and was unlucky to get sacked

20 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

That worked better on this thread!

What was the formation/style at Bradford?

we were generally a 442 outfit, but the left side wasn't an out and out winger. it was pretty flexible. and he was all about keeping posession, playing out, and exploiting the flanks.

his time at Bradford City can't be considered anything other than a success if you look at his win percentage (highest win percentage of any Bradford manager in over 30 years) and the restrictions he was working under. we were very unlucky in that play off final against Millwall, should have won it.

if we kept the squad together we'd have got promoted the season after but the chairman at the time, Edin Rahic, thought he knew better and ripped the team apart. Stuart built another, with a much lower budget, and had us top 6 at time of sacking. we had lost 5 in a row, granted, but we were beset with injuries, and had players covering out of position because although it was January, the owner hadn't backed him with players the rest of us could see we desperately needed.

if he hadn't been sacked I think we'd be in the Championship now, sadly he was and we're in the khazi league.

I think at Motherwell he finished second twice, and got to a cup final. that squad was dismantled every summer aswell.

Edited by Ricc05

On 16/11/2019 at 13:47, kingantti1874 said:

not if they turned things round. Would rather have them than Hearts reject Jack Dross.

4 minutes ago, Ricc05 said:

we were generally a 442 outfit, but the left side wasn't an out and out winger. it was pretty flexible. and he was all about keeping posession, playing out, and exploiting the flanks.

his time at Bradford City can't be considered anything other than a success if you look at his win percentage (highest win percentage of any Bradford manager in over 30 years) and the restrictions he was working under. we were very unlucky in that play off final against Millwall, should have won it.

if we kept the squad together we'd have got promoted the season after but the chairman at the time, Edin Rahic, thought he knew better and ripped the team apart. Stuart built another, with a much lower budget, and had us top 6 at time of sacking. we had lost 5 in a row, granted, but we were beset with injuries, and had players covering out of position because although it was January, the owner hadn't backed him with players the rest of us could see we desperately needed.

if he hadn't been sacked I think we'd be in the Championship now, sadly he was and we're in the khazi league.

I think at Motherwell he finished second twice, and got to a cup final. that squad was dismantled every summer aswell.

Thanks. Probably underrated here due to his love of all things Rangers.

Who would you pick if it was a choice between McCall and Stendel?

1 minute ago, gnasher75 said:

thats a tough one, he was terrific at Barnsley.

I'd be inclined to trust the experience of Stuart in the SPL, but I don't think he could have too many complaints if he was overlooked in favour of Stendel.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
35 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

Stendel. Be brave.

Can’t see why people object to McCall and McCann because they are ex-Rangers. So were Alex McDonald and Sandy Jardine and they transformed our style of play.

13 minutes ago, Prof said:

Can’t see why people object to McCall and McCann because they are ex-Rangers. So were Alex McDonald and Sandy Jardine and they transformed our style of play.

Indeed. 

kingantti1874
33 minutes ago, Prof said:

more to do with they’ve done nothing to warrant being appointed to the role

25 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

more to do with they’ve done nothing to warrant being appointed to the role

Same comment could have been made about McDonald and Jardine.

1 hour ago, Prof said:

Sandy Jardine was a good Hearts man

Nicked this from a facebook post by someone and I agree

Keep seeing No to McCall why? Broke all kinds of club records since wartime at Motherwell (jeez took them to champions league). And was the most successful manager at Bradford since 3 points a win was introduced, regarding points won and win percentage taking them to play off final. This goes all the way back to Roy McFarland.Rangers was a basket case so cant be blamed there. As was Scunthorpe. Look at them since he was sacked!! The manager before lasted 6 games. At Motherwell and Bradford he not only played great football but his best player left due to bigger clubs noticing them.

Motherwell 2011

scottish cup final - lost to Celtic

league cup semi final - lost to Rangers

top 6 finish

Mark Reynolds sold to Sheffield Wed

Motherwell 2012

Top 3 finish

Sutton to Hearts

Hughes to Aberdeen

Motherwell 2013

2nd SPL (63 points club record)

SPL Manager of the year

Champions legue lost to Panathanikos

Europa league lost to Levante

clancy to hibs

murphy to sheffield utd

jennings to coventry

Motherwell 2014

2nd SPL (70 points new club record)

Randolph to Birmingham

Humphreys to PNE

Ojama to Warsaw

Higdon to NEC

Hateley to Tranmere

Hutchison to Millwall

Bradford 2016 /17

Started season with around 6 players - built whole team from scratch

5th in league 1 (24 teams)

Never lost a home game

play off final

outside top 6 on 2 occassions entire season

Bradford 2017 /18

City Chairman publicly falls out with mccall

Chairman nevers overs 1st player new contracts

Chairman waits until last day of transfer window to recruit

Sacked whilst in top 6 1 game later

Fans not happy and blame chairman Edin Rahic (chased from club later)

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Sandy Jardine was a good Hearts man

He was a Jambo as a boy but a firm Rangers man at Ibrox. The point I’m making is that being associated with Rangers shouldn’t exclude a candidate. We have a far superior squad than Motherwell and the saying, a workman can only work with the tools he is given also applies to football.

jack D and coke
On 14/11/2019 at 08:56, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

The world has changed since the - Alex was manager when I started supporting Hearts but him and McCall aren’t even in the same book re quality let alone same chapter.

Also, Alex let Hearts get to him like no Hun would nowadays. Look at the documentary where he is interviewed about losing the league in 86. In tears.

No current ex-Hun would be anything like that

I was a huge fan of Doddie until his crass behaviour at the hun game when he came onto the pitch at HT last season. He really went down in my estimations, showed us no respect whatsoever the little knob. 

alwaysthereinspirit
4 minutes ago, Prof said:

He gave his best when he played. Leave it at that.

No arguments here. I liked him. Tough as nails.

3 minutes ago, Prof said:

He was a Jambo as a boy but a firm Rangers man at Ibrox. The point I’m making is that being associated with Rangers shouldn’t exclude a candidate. We have a far superior squad than Motherwell and the saying, a workman can only work with the tools he is given also applies to football.

I know, I'm just saying Jardine was a jambo.

Probably also worth mentioning that both he and McDonald arrived at Tynecastle as players, they were already accepted and part of the club before becoming manager. The situations aren't that similar apart from a history with the hun.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

I know, I'm just saying Jardine was a jambo.

Probably also worth mentioning that both he and McDonald arrived at Tynecastle as players, they were already accepted and part of the club before becoming manager. The situations aren't that similar apart from a history with the hun.

Agreed. I just think we need to keep an open mind on this. My view is we dodged a bullet with Jack Dross.

I feel extremely strongly against McCall. I wouldn't be back, id be in the plaza with a bring back Levein placard from game 1.

Serious No! Absolutely No!

McCall is a red line I wont cross. No No No.

Baffled that anyone would entertain this as even, at best, a shit idea.

Seriously pick anyone else, my expectations are lowered to zero after this thread.

Edited by Phage

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

I was a huge fan of Doddie until his crass behaviour at the hun game when he came onto the pitch at HT last season. He really went down in my estimations, showed us no respect whatsoever the little knob. 

He never came off well. 

Auld and pissed tho, so I'll give him a break.