Stephen Robinson

Pants Shaton

Stephen Robinson poll  

825 members have voted

1. 1. Stephen Robinson for HMFC?

59 minutes ago, Robert Lazar said:

Fair enough but what we need is consistent league positions. 

Where have Motherwell finished under Robinson? 

9th and 8th?

I think it's purely because he has them in 3rd just now that people are getting their knickers all wet.

7th and 8th. 

I’m very much 50:50 on him, I’m just trying to look objectively at the facts and make up my mind from there. I’m far from saying we should appoint him and not consider anyone else. 

If making a case for him:

He was interim in Feb 2017, got the job in March 2017. Can’t say much about that season then.

I know the top 6/bottom 6 split skews things a bit but these are the stats:

In 2017-18 he finished 7th but only a point behind Hearts. That was his first full season and got to two cup finals. In the League Cup they beat Ross Co, Aberdeen and Rangers. In the Scottish Cup they knocked out Hamilton, Dundee, Hearts, Aberdeen. Losing to Celtic was no disgrace and I seem to recall they were stitched up in the first final.

In 2018-19 he got them 8th. Same points as Hearts, 7 points clear of 9th, 1 point behind 7th placed St Johnstone, 3 points behind Hibs in 6th. But with a much smaller budget than Hearts and Hibs.

This is key - he’s delivered pretty much the same as Levein in terms of league places (and right now much better) on much less money so that suggests that with more money he could do even better.

The other argument against him: he’s doing well now and people are carried away. In response to that, I’d rather someone doing well now than someone who once did well. And it also suggests that given time he can build something positive. 

Edited by Juanjo

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soonbe110

• Enzo Chiefo

• Robert Lazar

• kingantti1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tom Hardy’s Dug
On 01/11/2019 at 16:29, Enzo Chiefo said:

His comments today sbout allowing the Motherwell players to play with freedom and do things "off the cuff" illustrate to me that he would do a great job with better players at his disposal. A style of play that is the polar opposite of Levein's favoured rigid, cautious style of play which stifles players rather than allowing them to thrive. Could be exciting times ahead at Tynecastle if he is appointed.

Probably just saying that to endear himself to Ann - not really been the evidence of his actions to date.

...a bit disco
38 minutes ago, Robert Lazar said:

A view from a Motherwell supporter. 

Robinson’s record is patchy IMO. Granted, the season has started well however we’ve also played, previously,  some of the worst and most brutal football I’ve ever seen in a Motherwell jersey under him. 

I’m not saying he’s a bad manager at all, just that the hype train shouldn’t be so huge and that I still wouldn’t be despondent if he were to leave. 

Obviously too young to remember the days of Gregor Stevens then.

Just now, ...a bit disco said:

Obviously too young to remember the days of Gregor Stevens then.

Most folk just go by recent history. 

The past isn't worth considering. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
On 01/11/2019 at 16:41, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

Remember people wanted Archibald from Partick. :rofl:

Exactly the point.

in the last 3 years any manager with a semi decent 3 or 4 month run in the SPL has been touted as better than what we had.

Archibald, Hartley, Wright now Robinson.

...a bit disco
Just now, Robert Lazar said:

Most folk just go by recent history. 

The past isn't worth considering. 

Possibly.

Definitely worse and more brutal back then though!

12 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Do you think he will win anything?  You confirm my comment that he is inexperienced yet Mrs Budge said on Thursday we want an experienced manager. Yet some on here are suggesting she had begun negotiations Thursday afternoon???  As I said, the guy is at it on this thread. 

I don’t know. He isn’t totally inexperienced and has experience in our league, 

I doubt very much if we’ve started negotiations with him. 

I think he could do well as I think, given his resources at Motherwell, he’s done well there. In saying that, if we’re willing to splash the cash we could probably do better.

i feel confident the board will make the right decision and wouldn’t be disappointed if Robinson got the job

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, ...a bit disco said:

Possibly.

Definitely worse and more brutal back then though!

They had chopper MacLaren as well

...a bit disco
Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

They had chopper MacLaren as well

Shudder!

17 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

It wasn’t the current Rangers so irrelevant. We won the league with Rangers in it. That was a win for Levein because you continually accused him of pulling all the strings as DoF. 

It wasn't the current Mwell either. What are you talking about? He is able to send out a team to beat Rangers at Hampden. It has never been easy to beat either of the OF at Hampden.  Robinson achieved something that Levein is incapable if achieving. He would be a significant upgrade on Levein, however , if the Board have received applications from even better candidates then, of course, we should consider appointing them.

Just now, GinRummy said:

I don’t know. He isn’t totally inexperienced and has experience in our league, 

I doubt very much if we’ve started negotiations with him. 

I think he could do well as I think, given his resources at Motherwell, he’s done well there. In saying that, if we’re willing to splash the cash we could probably do better.

i feel confident the board will make the right decision and wouldn’t be disappointed if Robinson got the job

I’d be gutted. That’s after 50+ years of watching poor managers appointed. The state of our finances means we are in a unique position in my time to break out of the usual routine and expand our horizons. In my time watching Hearts I think only two management appointments have really broken the mould in terms of really hiring successful, experienced managers. Ormond and Burley. Former didn’t work, latter looked like it might until the megalomaniac screwed it up. If you look at Celtic they went big on Rodgers and it paid off. Rangers have done the same with Gerard though much bigger risk. Celtic are now back with Lennon and are already showing signs of regressing. The concept that guys who have ‘successfully’ managed teams in Scotland outwith the top 3/4 clubs can be successful at a top 3/4 club is nonsense imo. Only JJ has come close and that was 20 years ago. 
I’m running out of time to see us get this right. I’m hoping Mrs Budge, similar age,  group, feels the same and shows a bit of imagination and ambition. I’m confident she will. 

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

I’d be gutted. That’s after 50+ years of watching poor managers appointed. The state of our finances means we are in a unique position in my time to break out of the usual routine and expand our horizons. In my time watching Hearts I think only two management appointments have really broken the mould in terms of really hiring successful, experienced managers. Ormond and Burley. Former didn’t work, latter looked like it might until the megalomaniac screwed it up. If you look at Celtic they went big on Rodgers and it paid off. Rangers have done the same with Gerard though much bigger risk. Celtic are now back with Lennon and are already showing signs of regressing. The concept that guys who have ‘successfully’ managed teams in Scotland outwith the top 3/4 clubs can be successful at a top 3/4 club is nonsense imo. Only JJ has come close and that was 20 years ago. 
I’m running out of time to see us get this right. I’m hoping Mrs Budge, similar age,  group, feels the same and shows a bit of imagination and ambition. I’m confident she will. 

I definitely think you mostly get what you pay for - Rodgers the classic example. I wonder what we can pay.

10 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

It wasn't the current Mwell either. What are you talking about? He is able to send out a team to beat Rangers at Hampden. It has never been easy to beat either of the OF at Hampden.  Robinson achieved something that Levein is incapable if achieving. He would be a significant upgrade on Levein, however , if the Board have received applications from even better candidates then, of course, we should consider appointing them.

Nielson sent a newly relegated Hearts team out and beat a newly promoted Rangers team at Ibrox!!! Bring back Robbie. 

10 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Yes, good post. If we can push the boat out then hopefully we go for it.

Just now, soonbe110 said:

Nielson sent a newly relegated Hearts team out and beat a newly promoted Rangers team at Ibrox!!! Bring back Robbie. 

Some have advocated his return. Not me.

8 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

You’ve made some good points on this thread and I get your concerns. After reading through I am actually cooling on Robinson a wee bit and hope we have the budget to do better. Still wouldn’t be disappointed if we ended up with him, but maybe you’re right. Maybe we should aim higher .

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Some have advocated his return. Not me.

I’d have him back before Robinson but that’s just my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

You’ve made some good points on this thread and I get your concerns. After reading through I am actually cooling on Robinson a wee bit and hope we have the budget to do better. Still wouldn’t be disappointed if we ended up with him, but maybe you’re right. Maybe we should aim higher .

Hopefully, fingers crossed. 

Captain Canada

We need a manager to match our ambitions. In the next few seasons we need to be qualifying for Europe and aiming for the Europa League group stages. 

I want someone who's already been there and done that so knows what it takes. We have an amazing platform in terms of finances and infrastructure so need to go out and get a top quality manager who can unite the club and really drive it forward by raising standards on the pitch. 

Edited by Captain Canada

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Ultimately it’s going to come down to

money - both what we can afford to pay in salary and what our player budget is. 

Just now, davemclaren said:

Ultimately it’s going to come down to

money - both what we can afford to pay in salary and what our player budget is. 

It will. Guys like Moyes and Keane would only want to manage one of the old firm imo. The cash at hearts (wages and budget) just wouldn’t interest them. 

Would love Moyes but I just think it’s pie in the sky. 

12 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Give it six months maybe. 😎

For sure. 

Not sure we can wait that long but hey.. maybe Austin shree sixteen will tide us over. 

I defo wouldn't be rushing into anything unless we continue on the levein downwards spiral. 

34 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Agreed - if you push the boat out for anyone, it should be the manager who is the most important man at any club.  Also doesn’t have to disrupt the player wage model.  We are at a point where we can pay a little more and for me this is a big opportunity to make a statement 

16 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It will. Guys like Moyes and Keane would only want to manage one of the old firm imo. The cash at hearts (wages and budget) just wouldn’t interest them. 

Would love Moyes but I just think it’s pie in the sky. 

I agree. 

53 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

4 game interview?

Aye!

"Tell us your 4 favourite results from your managerial career, and if they're impressive we'll give you the job."

Craig Levein would walk back into the job if that was the litmus test.

On 01/11/2019 at 16:05, Tasavallan said:

Raise the bar higher than the usual suspects.  Let's face it, pundits in Scotland haven't a scoobie and spout out the first name that comes into their mouth.

I haven't a clue but would hope the Board are looking at better candidates than the likes of: Hartley, McKinnon, Cameron, Murray, McNamara, Pressley and McCann. In retrospect, Gerrard was an excellent appointment by Sevco.

Yes, and yet many on here say Hearts are too big to appoint a rookie as manager! 

On 01/11/2019 at 16:29, Gashauskis9 said:

I voted meh, not because I don’t rate him, but because I want us to move away from this “young manager cutting his teeth” approach.  I don’t think he’s ready for the challenge and would prefer experience to compliment the passion.  

We have three basic options for hiring managers: a complete rookie, a "young manager cutting his teeth", or a manager with plenty of experience, but little actual success, particularly in recent years. I'm not sure option three would be my preference. 

Central Belt 1874
47 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

This is the best post by far on the management threads and I agree. 

This is the time for Budge to show her ambition. 

8 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Yes, and yet many on here say Hearts are too big to appoint a rookie as manager! 

We're bottom of the league, we can't afford to take the risk on a rookie manager who might turn out be brilliant, or could be a total disaster.  If we get this appointment wrong, then relegation could be a serious risk.

35 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

We need a manager to match our ambitions. In the next few seasons we need to be qualifying for Europe and aiming for the Europa League group stages. 

I want someone who's already been there and done that so knows what it takes. We have an amazing platform in terms of finances and infrastructure so need to go out and get a top quality manager who can unite the club and really drive it forward by raising standards on the pitch. 

Best post on the thread 👍👍👍

6 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

This is the best post by far on the management threads and I agree. 

This is the time for Budge to show her ambition. 

👍

Agree with you but there is no point in paying big bucks for a manager if his budget is going to be restricted.

It all depends how much the club are willing to invest without stretching our finances to dangerous levels.

I've gone off Robinson as I feel he would be a divisive appointment with certain sections of the Hearts support.

4 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Agree with you but there is no point in paying big bucks for a manager if his budget is going to be restricted.

It all depends how much the club are willing to invest without stretching our finances to dangerous levels.

I've gone off Robinson as I feel he would be a divisive appointment with certain sections of the Hearts support.

Managers need to do more than spend their budget. The game is all about man management. Only experience, having done it before, really matters imo. 

Captain Sausage

Awful appointment if true. Comparing his points tally to Levein is a nonsense, he gets 5 games against the bottom sides while Levein has to play the top 5. 

7th should almost always our score 6th, such is the nonsense of the split. 

Look at Hartley as a warning of bringing through a manager who has done well on a shoestring budget and given the opportunity to sign players. Or, maybe more comparable would be Jack Ross. Did well with no cash at St Mirren but when given a much bigger budget, he absolutely bombed. 

I genuinely think we should be looking out with the Scottish football goldfish bowl. There is a big world out there, let’s spend a bit of time and get in the absolute best we can, rather than just jumping on a manager in our league who has done okay. 

We’re not going to be relegated this year, returning players from injury will ensure we will be fine, so I want us to take the required time to do the manager search properly this time. 

Upon reading that we've allegedly made contact with Motherwell, I'm compelled to repeat myself...

If Hearts think – of all the football coaches in the world we could consider head-hunting – that Stephen Robinson is the best we can hope for, well,... 

That would seriously dent my opinion of the Hearts board. 

Robinson would be unimaginably uninspiring. 

Please, no!

If Aberdeen or Hibs (our closest rivals on club size) went for Robinson, most if us would laugh at them for being unimaginative and parochial. I strongly hope that this doesn't happen.

23 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

Upon reading that we've allegedly made contact with Motherwell, I'm compelled to repeat myself...

If Hearts think – of all the football coaches in the world we could consider head-hunting – that Stephen Robinson is the best we can hope for, well,... 

That would seriously dent my opinion of the Hearts board. 

Robinson would be unimaginably uninspiring. 

Please, no!

I said if we were restricting our search to the Premiership only, he would be the best option.  

I was hoping we would have some ambition and imagination, and actually look outside Scotland.  

It is an attractive job, and there will be plenty people interested.  And better options.  

He certainly isn’t so good, he is worth paying compensation for. 

Edited by Paolo

21 minutes ago, Flimsy said:

If Aberdeen or Hibs (our closest rivals on club size) went for Robinson, most if us would laugh at them for being unimaginative and parochial. I strongly hope that this doesn't happen.

I don't disagree with your thoughts other than to say the one thing that Robinson has shown is that he knows the score in Scotland about the type of players you need to cope with our game.

Not sure the same can be said for the likes of Heckingbottom.

Either way it is a difficult call for AB and her team.

3 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I don't disagree with your thoughts other than to say the one thing that Robinson has shown is that he knows the score in Scotland about the type of players you need to cope with our game.

It is a difficult call and the fact that our budget will be reasonably limited will definitely be a factor. I'm not sure whether we have the finances to employ a David Moyes for example. £120k compensation is small beer compared to the salary we would have to pay Moyes and his coaching team. Suspect Robinson would be on similar wages to Levein (circa £150k) which is pretty low in the general scheme of things. 

4 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Any appointment is a risk but I genuinely believe Stephen Robinson, if appointed,  could end up a disaster and we could end up relegated.

Tbf the same could be said about anyone we appoint, Roy Hodgson had managed all over the world and was a disaster at Liverpool. It's about finding someone who becomes a good fit quickly. 

10 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Picking up players from Oldham etc isn't going to cut it at Hearts with a turnover of £15m. We have a squad of international players that we need to get a tune out of right now. I do think we (and 83% of Kickbackers) are on the same page, so let's keep our fingers crossed the board are paying attention.

4 minutes ago, Jodami said:

It is a difficult call and the fact that our budget will be reasonably limited will definitely be a factor. I'm not sure whether we have the finances to employ a David Moyes for example. £120k compensation is small beer compared to the salary we would have to pay Moyes and his coaching team. Suspect Robinson would be on similar wages to Levein (circa £150k) which is pretty low in the general scheme of things. 

I'm not sure Robinson would be on as much as that.

Regarding Moyes a lot would depend on if he is interested in the job or if this is just press speculation. If he fancies getting himself back into work and possibly promoting himself forward aka Clarke for the Scotland job then he might be inclined to take the job at the salary we can offer.

Lets face it he won't really need the money.

1 minute ago, Flimsy said:

Picking up players from Oldham etc isn't going to cut it at Hearts with a turnover of £15m. We have a squad of international players that we need to get a tune out of right now. I do think we (and 83% of Kickbackers) are on the same page, so let's keep our fingers crossed the board are paying attention.

The secret is to learn from previous mistakes.

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

I'm not sure Robinson would be on as much as that.

Regarding Moyes a lot would depend on if he is interested in the job or if this is just press speculation. If he fancies getting himself back into work and possibly promoting himself forward aka Clarke for the Scotland job then he might be inclined to take the job at the salary we can offer.

Lets face it he won't really need the money.

I was talking about what we would pay him, think he will be on less just now. 

I agree on Moyes, he doesn't need the money but I suspect he will have a baseline number that is still pretty high for us plus you have to factor in coaching staff. It's a pity as I think he would be a good appointment, a tracksuit manager who will work on getting us set up properly is what's required. 

People are really clutching at straws when trying to justify this guy. He "only" finished x points behind Levein's Hearts (the definition of mediocrity) twice, he went on a couple of cup runs, he beat Rangers once, etc.

The argument that if you give him a bigger budget he'd do an equivalent job here (i.e. get us finishing 4th or 5th) does not stand up to scrutiny unfortunately. There are plenty of examples of managers doing well at smaller clubs in the league (better than Robinson) and failing at Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen.

If, as some sources suggest, we are going to go for Robinson without looking at other options first then that is just ****ing mind-boggling. Where has the clamour for this guy come from?

Many people stating Moyes doesn't need the money, agreed! So my question would be, he would only consider a job for the love of football, then why hasn't he got one already? 

I’d be shocked if it wasn’t between Robinson and Ross

I hope I’m wrong and that we look outside the box and show a bit of ambition 

However I think it’s a certainty that Budge will be looking for someone that has a track record of giving youth players an opportunity and Robinson is probably the standout for that (although he’s had no other choice) 

Robinson would be a no for me, I don’t like his style of football, and after several years of eye bleeding football I really want someone to come in that will get us playing much more attractive football. Also I think we should be appointing a manager who’s worked at a good level and not one that is looking to make a step up.