Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

The Big Papa Phelps
23 minutes ago, Rab Mac52 said:

Good article by Alan Pattullo in the Scotsman.  I particularly liked this:-

It’s probably helpful that Friday’s potentially hugely significant clash with Motherwell is away since this provides some measure of relief from the prevailing mood in Gorgie. It also gives the Tynecastle pitch further time to recover after having lots of inanimate objects on it. There was also damage caused by hosting a concert to open the Edinburgh International Festival at the beginning of the month.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/alan-pattullo-craig-levein-deserves-time-to-meld-his-team-at-hearts-1-4982304

Really good article.No hysterics just a well thought out piece.I agree totally with the journalist.

A good read.

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

7 minutes ago, The Big Papa Phelps said:

Really good article.No hysterics just a well thought out piece.I agree totally with the journalist.

A good read.

Couple of good quips in there. Yes we have players of a higher standard than last season  but performances in all 6 games this season have been poor. People saying wait are like the boy crying wolf now , fans have been hearing this since Cathro left two successive 6th place finishes are sadly the proof of the pudding for me. I foolishly hoped he would leave with his head held high after the cup final , no matter the result. 

Depressing times , we live in hope of a miracle or two though off to buy our Motherwell tickets.

1 hour ago, EIEIO said:

Couple of good quips in there. Yes we have players of a higher standard than last season  but performances in all 6 games this season have been poor. People saying wait are like the boy crying wolf now , fans have been hearing this since Cathro left two successive 6th place finishes are sadly the proof of the pudding for me. I foolishly hoped he would leave with his head held high after the cup final , no matter the result. 

Depressing times , we live in hope of a miracle or two though off to buy our Motherwell tickets.

Not getting rid of him after the Cup Final was as big a mistake as appointing him in the first place. AB needs to appoint a CEO to fill the gap in governance that saw her defer all football matters to Levein who, back in 2017, drew up a shortlist and was then appointed himself. 

Dont forget. The football played in his first stint was also eye bleeding so the style of football is nothing new 

Alex Kintner
29 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Dont forget. The football played in his first stint was also eye bleeding so the style of football is nothing new 

Utter drivel :rofl:

2 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Utter drivel :rofl:

Not as simple as that @To Be Frank first stint we were fine at home but eye bleeding away from home. This is not purely a Levein phenomena though. In his second stint the earlier pattern has been largely repeated. Up until October we won nearly all home games so majority of fans were happy, the go to every away game fans (The ones that I know anyway) have been raging about Levein's style for about 18 months now. I go to about 5 or 6 away games a season and can't think of a good performance in any except perhaps Motherwell away in the cup, for the second half at least. We still lost that though.

2 hours ago, Rab Mac52 said:

Good article by Alan Pattullo in the Scotsman.  I particularly liked this:-

It’s probably helpful that Friday’s potentially hugely significant clash with Motherwell is away since this provides some measure of relief from the prevailing mood in Gorgie. It also gives the Tynecastle pitch further time to recover after having lots of inanimate objects on it. There was also damage caused by hosting a concert to open the Edinburgh International Festival at the beginning of the month.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/alan-pattullo-craig-levein-deserves-time-to-meld-his-team-at-hearts-1-4982304

This article would be fair if there was evidence of a new shape it was taking time for players to bed into or maybe if he hadn't been in charge for very long. 

However, there is absolutely zero evidence of the former and he has had enough transfer windows to assemble a team to compete for third as our financial status would merit. 

Just bringing in more players is not going to work unless you coach them into a shape that works. On Saturday we had last season's talisman on the pitch but they played him in the wrong position and he was ineffective. It's clueless. 

Edited by Jodami

24 minutes ago, Jodami said:

This article would be fair if there was evidence of a new shape it was taking time for players to bed into or maybe if he hadn't been in charge for very long. 

However, there is absolutely zero evidence of the former and he has had enough transfer windows to assemble a team to compete for third as our financial status would merit. 

Just bringing in more players is not going to work unless you coach them into a shape that works. On Saturday we had last season's talisman on the pitch but they played him in the wrong position and he was ineffective. It's clueless. 

That's completely fair.  Last year we switched personnel and formation way too often.  Over the close season I decided I wanted to give him a bit more time because the recruitment seemed better and injuries did obviously play a part in what happened last year.  

So far this season, it's the same sad pish as it was last year.  I would be more sympathetic if I understood what we're trying to build, but on Saturday it looked as though we just chucked 11 players onto the park and hoped they'd figure it out.  They didn't, and it was as tedious as most of last year.  I don't understand why we had Naismith, Walker and Clare all out there when they all want to play in basically the same position.  

As ever, you can find some reasons/make some excuses (depending on how you see it!) - Naismith not available for the League Cup, Washington picking up a knock so not fit to start at Pittodrie etc. - but I have absolutely no idea how we will start on Friday, and I'm pretty fed up of feeling like that.    

Edited by Bellion

10 minutes ago, Jodami said:

The article is being very generous to Levein, giving him all the time in the world to get things right. It doesn't go into any detail regarding his failings already, or make any comparisons with other mangers on similar budget, or indeed less. The problem is there are no glimpses of improvement, not even a flicker of light, and many would say, a regression for all to see.

When you start coming out with comments like, the players are lacking confidence and playing safe two games into the league season, then I'm not sure the situation is recoverable. It gives the opposition a boost, and tells them exactly how to play us. Get in their faces straight from the whistle, unsettle them, force mistakes and make them even more nervous. I'm not sure how many more excuses Levein can use really, as he's made a rod for his own back imo.

Alex Kintner
33 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Matter of opinion

28 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Not as simple as that @To Be Frank first stint we were fine at home but eye bleeding away from home. This is not purely a Levein phenomena though. In his second stint the earlier pattern has been largely repeated. Up until October we won nearly all home games so majority of fans were happy, the go to every away game fans (The ones that I know anyway) have been raging about Levein's style for about 18 months now. I go to about 5 or 6 away games a season and can't think of a good performance in any except perhaps Motherwell away in the cup, for the second half at least. We still lost that though.

He had us comfortably third best in Scotland at a time when the Old Firm had world class players and astronomical budgets. We played direct, attacking football and always had at least one “flair” player in the team. 

Outside of our cup winning seasons, Levein’s first spell was just about as good as it gets for Hearts fans over the past three decades. The desperation to rewrite history and downplay our achievements because of the current shite situation is bonkers imo.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by To Be Frank

1 minute ago, To Be Frank said:

Total re-writing of history imo. He had us comfortably third best in Scotland at a time when the Old Firm had world class players and astronomical budgets. We played direct, attacking football and always had at least one “flair” player in the team. 

Outside of our cup winning seasons, Levein’s first spell was just about as good as it gets for Hearts fans over the past three decades.

No it wasn’t.  It was turgid hoofball with a couple of European masterminds.  It wasn’t comfortably third either, both seasons third was achieved on the last day of the season, once against hibs I’m sure, which made it a whole lot sweeter.   Moose up top and watching Elvis launch balls to him wasn’t attacking football either.  He then walked out on the club when the going got tough. 

3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I don't believe Levein had any intention of appoint anyone other than himself as manager.

I thought he wasn't wanting it but reluctantly took it on, as none of the other candidates were deemed as a suitable fit for the role? 

In fact is that not what AB stated? 

Edit - did he not say he was taking it on as a stop gap, until we got someone else? 

Maybe I'm imagining all this. 

Edited by smiler

2 games in and only now does Levein decide we need to bring in a new keeper. That after giving our sub goalkeeper an extended contract.

scott herbertson
3 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

He had us comfortably third best in Scotland at a time when the Old Firm had world class players and astronomical budgets. We played direct, attacking football and always had at least one “flair” player in the team. 

Outside of our cup winning seasons, Levein’s first spell was just about as good as it gets for Hearts fans over the past three decades. The desperation to rewrite history and downplay our achievements because of the current shite situation is bonkers imo.

🤷🏻‍♂️

I agree he managed us very well in that stint. I would say we could be quite boring to watch at times in that period, but we had fortress tynecastle and were delivering on getting into Europe so that was forgivable. Right now we aren't good to watch and aren't getting results so I can understand why most people feel time is up. Personally I think if we go out of the league cup to Motherwell without playing good football, and lose to Celtic  that should be enough, and I've been supportive of him throughout the last year.

1 minute ago, smiler said:

I thought he wasn't wanting it but reluctantly took it on, as none of the other candidates were deemed as a suitable fit for the role? 

In fact is that not what AB stated? 

Second hand from a Board member - there was never any intention of giving anyone else the job.

1 minute ago, Coco said:

Second hand from a Board member - there was never any intention of giving anyone else the job.

Fair doo's Coco. 

Who_put_the_ball_in...
5 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

2 games in and only now does Levein decide we need to bring in a new keeper. That after giving our sub goalkeeper an extended contract.

Reacting to fan pressure. There will be a couple of signings this week to fill in the gaps in the papaers and deflect attention from him.

9 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

🤷🏻‍♂️

I kind of regard Levein the same way I do Jim Jefferies good manager when we had no money but like a kid in a sweet shop when we had. Both accumulated large numbers of dross.

Obviously Jefferies won the cup and can do no wrong if you are wallowing in nostalgia similarly , Levein took us to the group stages of the Europa League.

I'm judging Levein on the past 2 seasons whilst remembering he appointed Cathro, call me bitter.

7 minutes ago, Coco said:

If that’s true it will have some people even angrier.

Alex Kintner
20 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

No it wasn’t.  It was turgid hoofball with a couple of European masterminds.  It wasn’t comfortably third either, both seasons third was achieved on the last day of the season, once against hibs I’m sure, which made it a whole lot sweeter.   Moose up top and watching Elvis launch balls to him wasn’t attacking football either.  He then walked out on the club when the going got tough. 

You clearly didn’t attend many games or have a shite memory.

02/03 finished 6 points ahead of 4th.

03/04 finished 15 points ahead of 4th.

Don’t have time to check but pretty sure those giants Kirk and Wales played more games up front than McKenna or even De Vries under Levein. 

Width was our main style of play and if you think 4-4s, 5-1s and 7-1s are turgid then you’re never going to be satisfied. 

Edited by To Be Frank

Alex Kintner
12 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

I kind of regard Levein the same way I do Jim Jefferies good manager when we had no money but like a kid in a sweet shop when we had. Both accumulated large numbers of dross.

Obviously Jefferies won the cup and can do no wrong if you are wallowing in nostalgia similarly , Levein took us to the group stages of the Europa League.

I'm judging Levein on the past 2 seasons whilst remembering he appointed Cathro, call me bitter.

Totally right to judge Levein on right now. Absolutely no need for the rewriting of history some try to do.

20 minutes ago, Who_put_the_ball_in... said:

Reacting to fan pressure. There will be a couple of signings this week to fill in the gaps in the papaers and deflect attention from him.

Nah, it’s just because we couldn’t get these guys earlier on in the summer. We had to wait until they had run out of better options.

He could have signed others earlier but they wouldn’t have been as good or on as good a deal.

49 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

Maybe it has something to do with the English transfer window and needing to wait until it closed before we could do anything?

Edited by McCrae

25 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Don’t have time to check but pretty sure those giants Kirk and Wales played more games up front than McKenna or even De Vries under Levein. 

Width was our main style of play and if you think 4-4s, 5-1s and 7-1s are turgid then you’re never going to be satisfied. 

02/03 was one of my favourite seasons watching Hearts.  Fast football, solid spine, loads of width, overlapping fullbacks, and a first choice XI that was so settled when everyone was fit that I could still name it now without hesitating.  It was basically the polar opposite of what the last 10 months have been like.  

33 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

0/2 0/3 lose to hibs we finish 4th if Motherwell (I’m sure) win.

It was brutal for a large period the last time, not nearly as horribly shit it’s been this time though mind you. 

5 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

It was brutal for a large period the last time, not nearly as horribly shit it’s been this time though mind you. 

Motherwell? How could they have been in a position to influence anything that year? They went into administration and finished bottom of the league.

Edited by Gregorski

4 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

It really wasn’t. There was the odd aberration, usually against a pair of really good OF sides, but generally it was good and much better than most of what we’ve had in the last 30 years. 

Your memory’s either playing tricks or you’ve just decided Levein isn’t allowed credit for anything at all, even stuff he did over 15 years ago.

Alex Kintner
9 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

No idea what you’re thinking of. We went into the last game of that season against Dundee with a 3 point and 10 goal lead over Klmarnock. 🤷🏻‍♂️

16 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

5 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

No idea what you’re thinking of. We went into the last game of that season against Dundee with a 3 point and 10 goal lead over Klmarnock. 🤷🏻‍♂️

That was 99/00.  We had to beat Hibs at Tynecastle on the last day to finish ahead of Motherwell.  Well had Rangers, who'd already won the league by absolutely miles and we were concerned that they wouldn't bother showing up.  Juanjo and McSwegan scored and we beat Hibs 2-1.  

None of this is relevant, because JJ was still in charge. 

Edited by Bellion

17 hours ago, Away up in Gorgie said:

What makes you think we’ll win away at a decent Motherwell? Our only SPL away win in the last 6 months cane at relegated Dundee!

Because he always seems to get a good result to get fans back on his side but it’s the same old all the time. Was just an example

33 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

I have to say, I find it really strange that such a great season would be airbrushed from somebody's memory like that.

OK, it's not currently working out under Levein, surely the vast majority now accept that.

However, it's really unfair to then write off his unquestionable achievements during his time as a Hearts manager.

You don't go to Bordeaux in a major European tournament and come away with a win if your team is full of huddy's. It simply doesn't happen.

We were a very good side during that era.

And for anybody wishing to say otherwise, think of it this way, Levein is the only manager in the last 40 years (maybe more, haven't done the maths) to guide Hearts to a third place finish two years in a row.

Alex McDonald/Sandy Clark, never done it.

Joe Jordan, never done it.

Sandy Clark, never done it.

Tommy McLean, never done it.

Jim Jefferies, never done it.

John Robertson, never done it.

All the too many manager's to list under Romanov, never done it.

Paulo Sergio, never done it (to be fair he walked after one so he wasn't to be blamed).

Robbie Neilson, never done it.

Craig Levein, done it.

Let that sink in.

Sure, the team under Levein has been a disappointment the past few years to the point that it will probably cost him his job in the end but let's not whitewash history because we genuinely don't care for the guy.

Edited by Gregorski

4 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

The only shite I can see is the stuff dribbling from your posts 👍🏻

Outstanding. Fanboys will be fanboys. 

Alex Kintner
1 minute ago, Hercules said:

Outstanding. Fanboys will be fanboys. 

If defending Levein against vermin dragging out the Dens Park shiting it schtick then I’m a fanboy 👍🏻

2 minutes ago, Gregorski said:

I have to say, I find it really strange that such a great season would be airbrushed from somebody's memory like that.

OK, it's not currently working out under Levein, surely the vast majority now accept that.

However, it's really unfair to then write off his unquestionable achievements during his time as a Hearts manager.

You don't go to Bordeaux in a major European tournament and come away with a win if your team is full of huddy's. It simply doesn't happen.

And for anybody wishing to say otherwise, think of it this way, Levein is the only manager in the last 40 years (maybe more, haven't done the maths) to guide Hearts to a third place finish two years in a row.

Paulo Sergio, never done it (to be fair he walked after one so he wasn't to be blamed).

Craig Levein, done it.

Let that sink in.

Sure, the team under Levein has been a disappointment the past few years to the point that it will probably cost him his job in the end but let's not whitewash history because we genuinely don't care for the guy.

4 minutes ago, Gregorski said:

Craig Levein, done it.

Let that sink in.

It is decidedly strange.  Particularly given the way we did it and the games along the way:

5-1 De Vries

Stampy at ER

4-4 Graeme Weir

Austin McCann

Not even mentioning things like 4-2 v Well (winning from 2-0 down, was a great game), Maybury smashing in the winner with a volley in the 93rd minute, late winners at Dens and Pittodrie, etc.  

Tremendous season with a few very bad games along the way. 

Away up in Gorgie
18 minutes ago, Bellion said:

It is decidedly strange.  Particularly given the way we did it and the games along the way:

5-1 De Vries

Stampy at ER

4-4 Graeme Weir

Austin McCann

Not even mentioning things like 4-2 v Well (winning from 2-0 down, was a great game), Maybury smashing in the winner with a volley in the 93rd minute, late winners at Dens and Pittodrie, etc.  

Tremendous season with a few very bad games along the way. 

As a massive critic of Levein NOW I also think its ridiculous that people right off how good, at times, we played with him in charge first time around. There were still plenty disappointments and an awful record in both the cups and games against the Old Firm but as someone who was in both Bordeaux and Braga as well as the notable derbies there were plenty of highs too. Silly to dismiss that due to current frustrations however much he is finished as a head coach in 2019. 

Edited by Away up in Gorgie

It should have been ten
6 hours ago, Hercules said:

Not the first time he’s shat himself. Also, smacking a team mate on the pitch makes him a shite bag. 3 times, shitebag. 

As are you for hiding behind a keyboard. Would you say it to his face...nah, shitebag. 

It should have been ten
5 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

The only shite I can see is the stuff dribbling from your posts 👍🏻

Spot on 

3 hours ago, Lambo85 said:

Shambolic,the people backing him are no better.Vanacek "At last a proper centre forward"he said.He should be shown the door.

Alex Kintner
1 hour ago, Away up in Gorgie said:

As a massive critic of Levein NOW I also think its ridiculous that people right off how good, at times, we played with him in charge first time around. There were still plenty disappointments and an awful record in both the cups and games against the Old Firm but as someone who was in both Bordeaux and Braga as well as the notable derbies there were plenty of highs too. Silly to dismiss that due to current frustrations however much he is finished as a head coach in 2019. 

:spoton:

12 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

:spoton:

As a manager first time around,backed him 100% and thought he done a great job under the circumstances,at that time.fast forward to present,not worthy

Manager.Should have resigned after the cup final.

2 hours ago, Gregorski said:

Craig Levein, done it.

Let that sink in.

That was 15 years ago

I’m sure that 15 years ago everyone was capable of something different. Time has moved on and so has football 

Lets stop using his record 15 years ago as an indicator of how we are currently performing 

9 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

That was 15 years ago

I’m sure that 15 years ago everyone was capable of something different. Time has moved on and so has football 

Lets stop using his record 15 years ago as an indicator of how we are currently performing 

Nobody was doing that. 

9 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

That was 15 years ago

Sorry mate, but you couldn't possibly have read my post correctly.

It was absolutely nothing to do with current form.

2 hours ago, Gregorski said:

Craig Levein, done it.

Let that sink in.

You know what,  you can have your 3rd place finishes and dine out on it. I think there was a special section in the Hearts Museum dedicated to that fantastic achievement but I can't be sure.

Anyway, let this sink in:

Alex Macdonald took us to a baw hair from winning the league title and finished 2nd on other occasions too. He also took us to the last 8 of the UEFA Cup, beating Bayern Munich at home and narrowly losing away. Levein should not be mentioned in the same breath as him. 

Valdas Ivanauskas won the Scottish Cup and finished 2nd, qualifying for the Champions League for the first and only time.

Jim Jefferies broke our 28 year trophy drought and lifted the Scottish Cup, beating Rangers in Glasgow to do so. We also challenged for the League title that year up until the last few weeks. An absolute legend.

Paulo Sergio in his only season at the club delivered not only the Scottish Cup but possibly the best result in our history, also beating Celtic in Glasgow en route. All done with a squad who weren't even getting paid.

Sorry if I don't recognise successive 3rd places finishes as an achievement given the tangible successes above.

Away from our club , Derek McInnes has delivered 4 successive runners up positions at Aberdeen and a trophy.

As a manager, Levein is not on the same page as all those listed above.

If you look at the quotes from Levein and the actions it is signs of a either a clueless man or a desperate man infact it’s both 

Its him that needs to change the style is absolutely shocking and he must be the most stubborn man on the planet if he still thinks it’s going to work. 

One of last weeks quotes he can’t wait to see wighton back for what reason baffles 99% of people that go to the games 

Levein has signed some good players recently but I have zero faith in him getting the best out of our squad. I agree with Michael Stewart and think if we had a good manager we could challenge the old firm this man is holding us back big time 

Time to go Craig please 

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You know what,  you can have your 3rd place finishes and dine out on it. I think there was a special section in the Hearts Museum dedicated to that fantastic achievement but I can't be sure.

Anyway, let this sink in:

Alex Macdonald took us to a baw hair from winning the league title and finished 2nd on other occasions too. He also took us to the last 8 of the UEFA Cup, beating Bayern Munich at home and narrowly losing away. Levein should not be mentioned in the same breath as him. 

Valdas Ivanauskas won the Scottish Cup and finished 2nd, qualifying for the Champions League for the first and only time.

Jim Jefferies broke our 28 year trophy drought and lifted the Scottish Cup, beating Rangers in Glasgow to do so. We also challenged for the League title that year up until the last few weeks. An absolute legend.

Paulo Sergio in his only season at the club delivered not only the Scottish Cup but possibly the best result in our history, also beating Celtic in Glasgow en route. All done with a squad who weren't even getting paid.

Sorry if I don't recognise successive 3rd places finishes as an achievement given the tangible successes above.

Away from our club , Derek McInnes has delivered 4 successive runners up positions at Aberdeen and a trophy.

As a manager, Levein is not on the same page as all those listed above.

I wasn't suggesting that Levein is ahead of any of those manager's, I was using a fact to underline my opinion that it was unfair to dismiss Levein's first tenure as a manager. 

Alex Kintner
25 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

That was 15 years ago

Nobody is doing that. People are simply challenging those who are trying to re-write history due to their current anger. I’m pissed off about how things are. Doesn’t mean I need to make up a load of nonsense about things from 15 years ago.

8 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

8 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Well if it is such a mediocre achievement as you seem to be suggesting, can you explain why no other Hearts manager has managed to do it or better it since season 1959/60? 😀

Edited by Gregorski

15 minutes ago, Gregorski said:

Sorry mate, but you couldn't possibly have read my post correctly.

It was absolutely nothing to do with current form.

If not then why are you trying to justify how good a manager he was in the past. His previous tenure has nothing to do what is going on this time round. 

If as you say it has nothing to do with current form, why are you even quoting it in a topic about what’s going on with team at present.

Truth is, he’s not good enough at this level now

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren locked this topic