Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

1 minute ago, merseyjambo said:

If not then why are you trying to justify how good a manager he was in the past. His previous tenure has nothing to do what is going on this time round. 

If as you say it has nothing to do with current form, why are you even quoting it in a topic about what’s going on with team at present.

Truth is, he’s not good enough at this level now

Sorry mate, again you're not getting me correctly.

I was replying directly to a poster that was in my mind, belittling Levein's tenure as a manager first time around which I felt was unnecessary and also a little odd.

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

4 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Nobody is doing that. People are simply challenging those who are trying to re-write history due to their current anger. I’m pissed off about how things are. Doesn’t mean I need to make up a load of nonsense about things from 15 years ago.

Rewrite history. 

Was his first spell as manager good. It had highs and lows. 

Did we come close to challenging for a trophy in that period??

It should have been ten
4 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

If not then why are you trying to justify how good a manager he was in the past. His previous tenure has nothing to do what is going on this time round. 

If as you say it has nothing to do with current form, why are you even quoting it in a topic about what’s going on with team at present.

He’s calling people out on their dismissive crap about his first tenure as our manager, nothing to do with now. Regardless of wether it’s relevant now, the ones saying CL was rotten first time round are clearly at it, have short memories or weren’t born.

Edited by It should have been ten

Just now, It should have been ten said:

He’s calling people out on their dismissive crap about his first tenure as our manager, nothing to do with now. Regardless of wether it’s relevant now, the ones saying CL was rotten first time round are clearly at it. 

This guy gets it!

3 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

It's actually similar to Alex McLeish who, despite doing a good job with Scotland 15 years ago, was completely out his depth second time around.

2 hours ago, Gregorski said:

I have to say, I find it really strange that such a great season would be airbrushed from somebody's memory like that.

OK, it's not currently working out under Levein, surely the vast majority now accept that.

However, it's really unfair to then write off his unquestionable achievements during his time as a Hearts manager.

You don't go to Bordeaux in a major European tournament and come away with a win if your team is full of huddy's. It simply doesn't happen.

We were a very good side during that era.

And for anybody wishing to say otherwise, think of it this way, Levein is the only manager in the last 40 years (maybe more, haven't done the maths) to guide Hearts to a third place finish two years in a row.

Alex McDonald/Sandy Clark, never done it.

Joe Jordan, never done it.

Sandy Clark, never done it.

Tommy McLean, never done it.

Jim Jefferies, never done it.

John Robertson, never done it.

All the too many manager's to list under Romanov, never done it.

Paulo Sergio, never done it (to be fair he walked after one so he wasn't to be blamed).

Robbie Neilson, never done it.

Craig Levein, done it.

Let that sink in.

Sure, the team under Levein has been a disappointment the past few years to the point that it will probably cost him his job in the end but let's not whitewash history because we genuinely don't care for the guy.

JJ won the Scottish Cup!

A Manager “under Romanov” won the Scottish Cup!

Sergio won the Scottish Cup!

Levein has won feck all in his career as a manager or a player!

so let THAT sink in!

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

It's actually similar to Alex McLeish who, despite doing a good job with Scotland 15 years ago, was completely out his depth second time around.

I agree with completely.

Fair assesment. And in the same way it doesn't in anyway detract from how he performed in the role first time around.

2 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

JJ won the Scottish Cup!

A Manager “under Romanov” won the Scottish Cup!

Sergio won the Scottish Cup!

Levein has won feck all in his career as a manager or a player!

so let THAT sink in!

I wasn't suggesting that Levein is ahead of any of those manager's, I was using a fact to underline my opinion that it was unfair to dismiss Levein's first tenure as a manager. 

Copied and pasted from an earlier reply above ^^^^

9 minutes ago, Gregorski said:

Well if it is such a mediocre achievement as you seem to be suggesting, can you explain why no other Hearts manager has managed to do it or better it since season 1959/60? 😀

It's mediocre compared to the successes that I listed. It is a reasonable achievement at the time but not something that is going to figure prominently in our history. Even 15 years later, it's certainly not worth mentioning in the context of other managers who have all surpassed anything Levein has done in his 20+ years as a manager. And to emphasise it with "let that sink in.." seems a bit odd.

5 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

He’s calling people out on their dismissive crap about his first tenure as our manager, nothing to do with now. Regardless of wether it’s relevant now, the ones saying CL was rotten first time round are clearly at it, have short memories or weren’t born.

OK Levein got two 3rd places in a row - very commendable although in the main the football under him was dire apart from the occasional thrashing of Hibs which was equally commendable.

His record in both cups was appalling with only one semi final reached where we did not lay a hand on Rangers.

2 minutes ago, Gregorski said:

I agree with completely.

Fair assesment. And in the same way it doesn't in anyway detract from how he performed in the role first time around.

I agree with you.

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

It's mediocre compared to the successes that I listed. It is a reasonable achievement at the time but not something that is going to figure prominently in our history. Even 15 years later, it's certainly not worth mentioning in the context of other managers who have all surpassed anything Levein has done in his 20+ years as a manager. And to emphasise it with "let that sink in.." seems a bit odd.

No but it indicates that he did a fair job as a manager right?

That was my reason for bringing it up.

1 minute ago, Gregorski said:

I will not argue he did a “fair” job as Manager.

3 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I will not argue he did a “fair” job as Manager.

Cool because that's all I was saying. 👍

pettigrewsstylist

CL is incapable of winning a trophy with OF in the way. He knows it and so does team he fails to motivate. His defensive tactics may gather enough points for 3rd if defence is consistenly awesome.

Alex Kintner
1 hour ago, merseyjambo said:

Rewrite history. 

Was his first spell as manager good. It had highs and lows. 

Did we come close to challenging for a trophy in that period??

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, Gregorski said:

He did a fair job yes, 15 yeara ago, but timea change and he is out of his depth now and should be removed asap.

33 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

:facepalm:

Instead of being obtuse, Answer the question rather than a facepalm

How close did he get to winning a trophy in his first spell in charge??

Problem is Frank that someone bringing up his record from 15 years ago and highlighting the words ‘let that sink in’ is a bit caustic of them. 

Personally I don’t give a crap what other posters think about his record 15 years ago. We didn’t win a trophy or get to a final in that time and it’s very Hibs to be pointing out 2 x 3rd place finishes. 

This discussion should be about the here and now. 

He should have gone after the final but what we are now going to see are the sycophants coming out with the ‘injuries’ or ‘it’s a new team or needs time to gel’ bollocks to give him time and breathing space

We have stagnated in the last 2 and a half years under the watch of both Cathro and him.

His philosophy and football are sending us backwards.

The club need a change of direction and modern ideas. He needs to go

Edited by merseyjambo

20 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

He did a fair job yes, 15 yeara ago, but timea change and he is out of his depth now and should be removed asap.

15 years ago I did a decent job of pulling females in their 20s, doesn’t mean to say that I could do it or even be thinking about it now. 

Needs to go

BarneyBattles44
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You know what,  you can have your 3rd place finishes and dine out on it. I think there was a special section in the Hearts Museum dedicated to that fantastic achievement but I can't be sure.

Anyway, let this sink in:

Alex Macdonald took us to a baw hair from winning the league title and finished 2nd on other occasions too. He also took us to the last 8 of the UEFA Cup, beating Bayern Munich at home and narrowly losing away. Levein should not be mentioned in the same breath as him. 

Valdas Ivanauskas won the Scottish Cup and finished 2nd, qualifying for the Champions League for the first and only time.

Jim Jefferies broke our 28 year trophy drought and lifted the Scottish Cup, beating Rangers in Glasgow to do so. We also challenged for the League title that year up until the last few weeks. An absolute legend.

Paulo Sergio in his only season at the club delivered not only the Scottish Cup but possibly the best result in our history, also beating Celtic in Glasgow en route. All done with a squad who weren't even getting paid.

Sorry if I don't recognise successive 3rd places finishes as an achievement given the tangible successes above.

Away from our club , Derek McInnes has delivered 4 successive runners up positions at Aberdeen and a trophy.

As a manager, Leven

in is not on the same page as all those listed above.

Doesn't just know his Hearts onions also knows other onions. 

8 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

15 years ago I did a decent job of pulling females in their 20s, doesn’t mean to say that I could do it or even be thinking about it now. 

Needs to go

Ha ha. I'm sure you're still thinking about it 😁

Alex Kintner
14 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Instead of being obtuse, Answer the question rather than a facepalm

Problem is Frank that someone bringing up his record from 15 years ago and highlighting the words ‘let that sink in’ is a bit caustic of them. 

Personally I don’t give a crap what other posters think about his record 15 years ago. We didn’t win a trophy or get to a final in that time and it’s very Hibs to be pointing out 2 x 3rd place finishes. 

He should have gone after the final but what we are now going to see are the sycophants coming out with the ‘injuries’ or ‘it’s a new team or needs time to gel’ bollocks to give him time and breathing space

We have stagnated in the last 2 and a half years under the watch of both Cathro and him.

You’re right. The discussion should be about the problems here and now and his very successful first spell as manager should be a separate issue.

Btw the sycophants chat is chronic :facepalm:

Edited by To Be Frank

3 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Answer the question instead of a facepalm

He should have gone after the final but what we are now going to see are the sycophants coming out with the ‘injuries’ or ‘it’s a new team or needs time to gel’ bollocks.

...when we could be challenging at the top. 

That is what's got me tearing my hair out (what's left of it). The frustration that everything is in place for success. Loyal, generous fans who back the club to the hilt, wealthy donors, Ann and her sound business acumen, new stand and what is, on paper, a pretty good squad of players. 

But it means nothing while we tread water and plod along with the guff that CL and his Peps dish up. 

Our problem is so solvable but still, inexplicably, seems so far away. 

Precious time and opportunity is just slipping through our fingers. 

Tragic. 

Forever Hearts
1 minute ago, To Be Frank said:

You’re right. The discussion should be about the problems here and now and his very successful first spell as manager should be a separate issue.

By very successful you mean two 3rd place finishes, one semi final and no cup finals? That kind of very successful?

Alex Kintner
1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

By very successful you mean two 3rd place finishes, one semi final and no cup finals? That kind of very successful?

Yes. In an era where the old firm had world class players and a ridiculous budget then 3rd place was as good as he could do. His cup record was poor but his league record, derby record and European record was superb.

BarneyBattles44

It's also possible that pre Romanov era that two groups were involved. One Romanov . Two Another group involving Ann Budge and Craig Levein ?

Edited by BarneyBattles44

4 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Btw the sycophants chat is chronic :facepalm:

Is it though, because the same people who  last season trotted out the ‘he’s still building his squad’ or ‘injuries’ chat will be prepared to give him yet more time to produce mediocre (at best) and garbage at worst football. 

The time has come for him to go. Things are not going to improve under his stewardship. I’m going on Friday night but I’m not holding out much hope of a result. We’ve then got Celtic away where we’ll need a miracle to get close.

Hamilton then is a massive game at this stage of the season already. We’re showing no cutting edge and no desire. This is a Hearts team I don’t recognise. Last I felt like this was when Tony Ford was in charge. 

Sycophants or acolytes, you choose but they are the ones who are as blinded like our owner appears to be, by him 

58 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

I agree completely.

It was just when I saw a poster pretty much writing off his very real achievements first time around, I felt compelled to defend him for that and that alone. 

The 'let that sink in' was a tad unnecessary, sure, but it was more of a direct response to the guy that tried to claim that Hearts only got third in season 02/03 because of Motherwell getting beat when in actual fact they finished bottom that year and had didily squat to do with it. 

It's the lazy attempt at whitewashing somebody's very real contribution to the club that irked me. Regardless of Levein's performance as a coach over the last couple of years, he has done a lot of good at Hearts and why should that be forgotten?

None of it was intended to defend him now or justify him staying as head coach. I openly said in the original post that he was most likely heading for the door as things stood.

Edited by Gregorski

Alex Kintner
2 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

Is it though, because the same people who  last season trotted out the ‘he’s still building his squad’ or ‘injuries’ chat will be prepared to give him yet more time to produce mediocre (at best) and garbage at worst football. 

The time has come for him to go. Things are not going to improve under his stewardship. I’m going on Friday night but I’m not holding out much hope of a result. We’ve then got Celtic away where we’ll need a miracle to get close.

Hamilton then is a massive game at this stage of the season already. We’re showing no cutting edge and no desire. This is a Hearts team I don’t recognise. Last I felt like this was when Tony Ford was in charge. 

Sycophants or acolytes, you choose but they are the ones who are as blinded like our owner appears to be, by him 

Think you need to look up the meaning of ‘sycophants’

7 hours ago, Gregorski said:

I have to say, I find it really strange that such a great season would be airbrushed from somebody's memory like that.

OK, it's not currently working out under Levein, surely the vast majority now accept that.

However, it's really unfair to then write off his unquestionable achievements during his time as a Hearts manager.

You don't go to Bordeaux in a major European tournament and come away with a win if your team is full of huddy's. It simply doesn't happen.

And for anybody wishing to say otherwise, think of it this way, Levein is the only manager in the last 40 years (maybe more, haven't done the maths) to guide Hearts to a third place finish two years in a row.

Paulo Sergio, never done it (to be fair he walked after one so he wasn't to be blamed).

Craig Levein, done it.

Let that sink in.

Sure, the team under Levein has been a disappointment the past few years to the point that it will probably cost him his job in the end but let's not whitewash history because we genuinely don't care for the guy.

Wooohooo, 2 3rd places in a row.

McDonald finished 2nd, Levein never done it.

Jordan  finished 2nd, Levein never done it.

Jefferies won a Scottish Cup, Levein never done it.

Ivanauskas finished 2nd and won a cup, Leveins never done either.

Sergio won a Scottish Cup, Leveins never done it.

Let that sink in.

Edited by Gambo

2 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

Yes. In an era where the old firm had world class players and a ridiculous budget then 3rd place was as good as he could do. His cup record was poor but his league record, derby record and European record was superb.

:spoton:

Some pointless debating of Levein's first spell in charge, what does it actually matter now? The only thing I would say is our defence in his first spell in charge was markedly better. That was because he spent a lot of time on the training field organising it himself, he practically personally moulded Webster into a player. Might not be the worst idea in the world to change the training routine and try that again. 

...a bit disco
4 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Some pointless debating of Levein's first spell in charge, what does it actually matter now? The only thing I would say is our defence in his first spell in charge was markedly better. That was because he spent a lot of time on the training field organising it himself, he practically personally moulded Webster into a player. Might not be the worst idea in the world to change the training routine and try that again. 

Back to basics rather than the overthought multi-coach nonsense we have at the moment?

Could be a goer.

:thumbsup:

20 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Wooohooo, 2 3rd places in a row.

McDonald finished 2nd, Levein never done it.

Jordan  finished 2nd, Levein never done it.

Jefferies won a Scottish Cup, Levein never done it.

Ivanauskas finished 2nd and won a cup, Leveins never done either.

Sergio won a Scottish Cup, Leveins never done it.

Let that sink in.

Yet the only person to finish higher than Levein in consecutive seasons is Tommy Walker way back in season 1959/60.

Seems odd that if it is such a small deal then nobody else has managed it.

Yet again, not suggesting any of those managers weren't better than Levein.

My point was that during his time as a manager first time around, he achieved some fairly credible.

Edit: But yeah, I agree we can stop talking about what happened 15 years ago I agree. Even I'm thoroughly fed up with it now and I pretty much started the whole thing. 😄

Edited by Gregorski

7 hours ago, Gregorski said:

Craig Levein, done it.

Let that sink in.

I'm not 100% sure I understand the underlying point you are making with this post.

Is this purely a historical comparative description of what Levein did 15 years ago in comparison to other managers? or, are you saying that because he achieved 2 successive 3rd place finishes, it is unfair of people to criticise and potentially give him another chance? 

9 minutes ago, Mr Kipling said:

I'm not 100% sure I understand the underlying point you are making with this post.

Is this purely a historical comparative description of what Levein did 15 years ago in comparison to other managers? or, are you saying that because he achieved 2 successive 3rd place finishes, it is unfair of people to criticise and potentially give him another chance? 

I was defending Levein's tenure as Hearts manager first time around in response to a poster who was being severely critical of it.

This is of no relation to his performance this time around whatsoever.

Like the majority on here, I suspect his time is up as the team isn't moving forward.

I also had no idea my post would draw it for so long as it did.

Still, it's a good laugh isn't it? 

Edited by Gregorski

I don’t think anybody is saying he deserves more time because of his first spell or that we should be judging him this time around based on what he did last time.

The only reason we are talking about his first spell at all is because some posters claimed that Levein has always been a pish Hearts manager or his Hearts teams have always been pish/turgid/losers.  

That’s plainly bollocks, and some people have just tried to remind others of what his first spell actually involved, because there’s **** all point in trying to rewrite history at this stage regardless of how much anyone wants him to go.  

Alex Kintner
19 minutes ago, Jodami said:

I disagree. I think the big difference between this Levein and the old Levein is in the attack. He seems to have forgotten how to organise his midfielders to create and forwards to score. Our defence isn’t our biggest concern.

4 minutes ago, Gregorski said:

I was defending Levein's tenure as Hearts manager first time around in response to a poster who was being severely critical of it.

This is of no relation to his performance this time around whatsoever.

Like the majority on here, I suspect his time is up as the team isn't moving forward.

I also had no idea it would draw it for so long as it did.

This post could make you look very foolish if all the rumoured transfers happen.

1 minute ago, To Be Frank said:

I disagree. I think the big difference between this Levein and the old Levein is in the attack. He seems to have forgotten how to organise his midfielders to create and forwards to score. Our defence isn’t our biggest concern.

I also sense a lack of energy from Levein in general. Remember that time he punched hole in the Fir Park dressing room door after a particularly guff performance? 

What happened to that guy?

2 minutes ago, McCrae said:

This post could make you look very foolish if all the rumoured transfers happen.

Mate, I would love it!

Nothing would make me happier to be proved wrong.

1 minute ago, Gregorski said:

I also sense a lack of energy from Levein in general. Remember that time he punched hole in the Fir Park dressing room door after a particularly guff performance? 

You been away ?

6 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Is that him personally Frank, I am not sure how things are currently organised in training at the club. Those are also issues, in fact everything seems to be. He knows defending, he is ostensibly a defensively minded coach, his best performances have been setting up against better teams with a defensive game plan. The way teams create overloads regularly on the wing, the way we concede free headers from set pieces and the way we are so quiet and lacking in communication as a defensive unit are just a surprise for me. 

Edited by Jodami

2 minutes ago, Gregorski said:

That guy had a heart attack last year,  and that's probably why he should step down sooner rather than later. He doesn't have the energy to motivate the team and get them up for the job in hand, and it's very noticeable. 

Rocky jamboa

Levein must be one more bad result away from the sack. Anything other than beating motherwell on friday, avoiding a heavy defeat at ceptic park, beating hamilton and motherwell at tynie and then at the very minimum a draw at fester and the fan pressure will be too much. 

Long term though, regardless of those results, we need a change and someone with fresh ideas. He's not the guy to take us forward. 

4 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

That guy had a heart attack last year,  and that's probably why he should step down sooner rather than later. He doesn't have the energy to motivate the team and get them up for the job in hand, and it's very noticeable. 

Yeah, that would it for sure.

CL has just signed a new team. He’s no going anywhere. We’ll click and we’ll be a good side. Stop greetin. 

siegementality
5 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You know what,  you can have your 3rd place finishes and dine out on it. I think there was a special section in the Hearts Museum dedicated to that fantastic achievement but I can't be sure.

Anyway, let this sink in:

Alex Macdonald took us to a baw hair from winning the league title and finished 2nd on other occasions too. He also took us to the last 8 of the UEFA Cup, beating Bayern Munich at home and narrowly losing away. Levein should not be mentioned in the same breath as him. 

Valdas Ivanauskas won the Scottish Cup and finished 2nd, qualifying for the Champions League for the first and only time.

Jim Jefferies broke our 28 year trophy drought and lifted the Scottish Cup, beating Rangers in Glasgow to do so. We also challenged for the League title that year up until the last few weeks. An absolute legend.

Paulo Sergio in his only season at the club delivered not only the Scottish Cup but possibly the best result in our history, also beating Celtic in Glasgow en route. All done with a squad who weren't even getting paid.

Sorry if I don't recognise successive 3rd places finishes as an achievement given the tangible successes above.

Away from our club , Derek McInnes has delivered 4 successive runners up positions at Aberdeen and a trophy.

As a manager, Levein is not on the same page as all those listed above.

This.

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren locked this topic