Top Posters In This Topic

• Francis Albert

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• Thomaso

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, PnG said:

Used to quite like Murray until i heard him on the radio the other week, telling blatant lies about Levein and Hearts. The guy is a snake.

What a sad little loser you really are.

132goals1958
3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

What lies?

I really would like to know why so many seem to have it in for him.

Quite simple --- attention seekers.

32 minutes ago, heartandsoul said:

Was going to buy his book after the game. After watching that dross  I simply couldn't be bothered. Total apathy has set in.

You need to compartmentalise. The hard-work that went in to save our club is not the same thing as the current state we are in manager-wise.

At some point in the future, Levein will be gone but the club will still be here.

Get yourself a copy.

Footballfirst

I've now finished reading the book (I will read it again a bit more slowly over the next week or so). As the story progressed to the climax of the administration and Bryan Jackson struggled to get the deal with the Lithuanians, Bidco and FOH over the line, it became quite an emotional read.  From anger at the attempts of Bob Jamieson, Pat Munro and Hibs fans to scupper the deal at the last minute to the sheer joy that was shared by every Hearts fan at saving the club.  

I was also struck by Ian's concerns about the final "take it or leave it" deal he signed on behalf of FOH with Bidco. 

I won't say any more than that as a spoiler.

I've now read the book and, although it contains some rather detailed and complex sections, it's an interesting account of the behind the scenes actions and events that saved our club. I also found it quite humorous in parts and hard hitting in others.

It seems pretty clear from the book that we were close to the brink and, without Ian's hard work and personal skills, we probably wouldn't have a football club or stadium today. He has to be congratulated for taking personal time out to save the club, write his book and, especially for contributing all royalties to Hearts related causes. Is a knighthood out of the question?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
On 05/10/2019 at 15:53, PnG said:

Used to quite like Murray until i heard him on the radio the other week, telling blatant lies about Levein and Hearts. The guy is a snake.

Come on, expand on this

Footballfirst
47 minutes ago, sniffer said:

I've now read the book and, although it contains some rather detailed and complex sections, it's an interesting account of the behind the scenes actions and events that saved our club. I also found it quite humorous in parts and hard hitting in others.

I would agree with that assessment. If you were not familiar with most of the key individuals involved then it could be a bit difficult to follow, but there are humorous parts as you say, like Tam Cowan's contribution at the fans rally, plus revealing insights about what happened with the aborted Andy Driver transfer, the Quantum shares and the "Walter Mitty" type bidders. Reading between the lines, I think that some of the "hard hitting" parts were toned down for the published version.

23 hours ago, heartandsoul said:

Was going to buy his book after the game. After watching that dross  I simply couldn't be bothered. Total apathy has set in.

I went round. One part of Christmas started. Shop was busy. 

heartandsoul
23 hours ago, redjambo said:

You need to compartmentalise. The hard-work that went in to save our club is not the same thing as the current state we are in manager-wise.

At some point in the future, Levein will be gone but the club will still be here.

Get yourself a copy.

Your right mate and I will get a copy. Just feeling so disillusioned  with what's going on just now.

An excellent read for all Hearts fans!

I think Murray would be an excellent CEO once the FoH take over -  intelligent, good negotiator, committed Hearts fan - pretty sure he would give up politics if offered the job.

2 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

An excellent read for all Hearts fans!

I think Murray would be an excellent CEO once the FoH take over -  intelligent, good negotiator, committed Hearts fan - pretty sure he would give up politics if offered the job.

Picking up his book from the shop on Friday. Looking forward to reading it. Certainly a strong candidate for future club chairman but perhaps not CEO. 

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Picking up his book from the shop on Friday. Looking forward to reading it. Certainly a strong candidate for future club chairman but perhaps not CEO. 

I read the book in two sittings - I just couldn’t put it down! Fascinating behind the scenes stuff that sweeps away fans misinformation.

Mentioned earlier on this thread that I spent a good bit of time with him in the week preceding 0-4. Superb man  Jambo to the soles of his feet.  Never mentioned his politics but I was immensely proud of him when he survived the SNP landslide to be Scotland's only Labour MP.  Incredible.

Looking forward to reading the book.

Met him a couple of times, before Scotland games, friend of a friend. Seemed a decent boy and undoubtedly a dyed in the wool Jambo.

Future Chairman sounds like a good shout.

3 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Hope neither Murray nor the other dignitaries suffered any injuries while they were at Tynecastle.

You've lost me with this?

38 minutes ago, Forza Cuore said:

You've lost me with this?

Injuries.  We're famous for them.

Try to keep up.🤣

7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Too cryptic Doug.  

Sorry.  I'd be scared to walk past the place these days in fear of one of my remaining function organs packing in.

On 28/09/2019 at 13:05, Big Slim Stylee said:

He’s a bit of a windbag.

yup - but he’s OUR windbag!!!

On 01/10/2019 at 13:14, shed1874 said:

If the money goes to FOH yes.

This book relates to our clubs fight to survive Murray making money of our backs is shite.

Not getting a coin of me

The profits are going to the Club FFS!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't replied to some of the queries on this post. I wasn't aware there was a thread until someone mentioned it today. First home game I've actually enjoyed this season.

Just for clarity. All net royalties will be being split between the Club and the official Club charity, Big Hearts. Net royalties just means after any taxation and other costs are deducted. 

I didn't write this book to make money. Indeed, it is quite a niche book so there is no chance of me becoming the next JK Rowling or Ian Rankin.

I hope that clarifies.

I also heard today that Hearts may have sold out at the moment. If that is the case and you want to get it online you can use www.thisisourstory.club. If you would like a message and the book signed it has a space for that on the website when you buy. The publisher sends me the books and I add these messages before sending.

I hope you enjoy it.

Ian

HHGH

4 minutes ago, Ian Murray said:

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't replied to some of the queries on this post. I wasn't aware there was a thread until someone mentioned it today. First home game I've actually enjoyed this season.

Just for clarity. All net royalties will be being split between the Club and the official Club charity, Big Hearts. Net royalties just means after any taxation and other costs are deducted. 

I didn't write this book to make money. Indeed, it is quite a niche book so there is no chance of me becoming the next JK Rowling or Ian Rankin.

I hope that clarifies.

I also heard today that Hearts may have sold out at the moment. If that is the case and you want to get it online you can use www.thisisourstory.club. If you would like a message and the book signed it has a space for that on the website when you buy. The publisher sends me the books and I add these messages before sending.

I hope you enjoy it.

Ian

HHGH

I’m just back from holiday,I read your book while I was away and it was a great insight to what went on at the time.Thanks for your hard work.

1 hour ago, Ian Murray said:

Hi everyone,

I hope that clarifies.

I hope you enjoy it.

Ian

HHGH

Great book and clarifies a huge amount of background issues! ❤️👍

14 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Great book and clarifies a huge amount of background issues! ❤️👍

A compelling read.

31 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Any chance I can get it signed Ian?

Yes, if you go to www.thisisourstory.club I can sign it for you and pop a "to" on it as well if you like. Its easy to do when you follow the steps.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, Ian Murray said:

Hi everyone,

I hope that clarifies.

I hope you enjoy it.

Ian

HHGH

I ordered on the site. Looking forward to reading.

You might need to correct an error on the order page. It asks to enter a state and country. The options for State are Scotland, England, NI and Wales. The option for Country is the UK. 

As I'm sure you know, the UK is not a country, It is actually a state or nation state, or it can be described as a nation.

Scotland is definitely not a "State". It is a country. The simple fix would be to label the UK as "State" and invite orderers to select their Country from the list of Scotland, England, etc. Important to be correct about these things as there is a lot of misinformation put around about Scotland not really being a country. Thanks!

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

You might need to correct an error on the order page. It asks to enter a state and country. The options for State are Scotland, England, NI and Wales. The option for Country is the UK. 

As I'm sure you know, the UK is not a country, It is actually a state or nation state, or it can be described as a nation.

Scotland is definitely not a "State". It is a country. The simple fix would be to label the UK as "State" and invite orderers to select their Country from the list of Scotland, England, etc. Important to be correct about these things as there is a lot of misinformation put around about Scotland not really being a country. Thanks!

😴😴😴

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Sounds like a simple misapplication.of US terminology to the UK. The UK is both a nation state and a country . Scotland is also a country and I don't think anyone really disputes that.

Anyway on topic - have just read the book and strongly recommend it to all who lived through the last twenty years of being a Hearts fan.

Edited by Francis Albert

Seymour M Hersh
On 06/10/2019 at 19:06, Diadora Van Basten said:

Is it available on Kindle? I don’t think I can read a paper book anymore.

What a sad indictment of modern society this post is. No offence meant to you DVB. 

On 27/09/2019 at 10:08, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

Should make a great read. Murray's contribution should never be forgotten.

Totally agree.

Melbourne Jambo

Mine made it all the way to Australia and I'm about half way through it. 

Fantastic read so far, and thanks so much for signing it Ian. 

PS - For other Jambo's abroad, the postage was much more reasonable on the site Ian quoted, as opposed to from the club shop (and you get it signed!). 

Edited by Melbourne Jambo

Forgot that Stewart Fraser stayed on for so long. 

I always associated him with Chris Robinson. He got a bad reputation by association including the SMG deal. But seems to have had interests of club at heart. 

Edited by Mikey1874

55 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Forgot that Stewart Fraser stayed on for so long. 

I always associated him with Chris Robinson. He got a bad reputation by association including the SMG deal. But seems to have had interests of club at heart. 

Yes as someone said above it shows there were a few people we had to be grateful to and provides a real behind the scenes look at the massive effort to save the club. Very good read.

Worthing Jambo

What about the job David Southern and his staff done.

Above and beyond.

Who would have blamed them if they had just jacked it in.

Footballfirst
59 minutes ago, Worthing Jambo said:

What about the job David Southern and his staff done.

Above and beyond.

Who would have blamed them if they had just jacked it in.

I appreciate what David Southern did to assist FOH in the early days and that is clear from the book.  However, I always had reservations about his role as the club lurched towards insolvency, so I have mixed feelings about what he did (positive) and what he didn't do (negative).  

He was on the inside and saw what was going on with the finances, the 2012 share issue that wasn't honoured by the Romanov regime after the £1.1m was received from fans, the sale of 7,000 season tickets, the £2m+ funds from which were spent within days of the end of the previous season. Nothing was ever said publicly about these things, nor any expression that the club was trading while insolvent.

The option would have been for him to resign and alert fans about what was going on.  Administration may have come sooner and liquidation might have followed. Had that occurred then over £3m in fans funds would have been permanently lost.   All's well that ends well, but that was one hell of a risk to take with other people's money, while continuing to take a salary from the club.  

Worthing Jambo

Maybe he thought it was better to be on the inside and not necessarily the right side.

As you say, risky, but would anyone else have done it, with the hassle and stress involved.

The majority of us wouldn’t work for nothing and take that sort of stress.

Did he take his full salary at that time?

The worst part must have been that he was powerless to do anything about it apart from keep it stumbling along until an alternative was found.

I’m just glad there were people around who were prepared to do something to keep the club alive.

24 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I appreciate what David Southern did to assist FOH in the early days and that is clear from the book.  However, I always had reservations about his role as the club lurched towards insolvency, so I have mixed feelings about what he did (positive) and what he didn't do (negative).  

He was on the inside and saw what was going on with the finances, the 2012 share issue that wasn't honoured by the Romanov regime after the £1.1m was received from fans, the sale of 7,000 season tickets, the £2m+ funds from which were spent within days of the end of the previous season. Nothing was ever said publicly about these things, nor any expression that the club was trading while insolvent.

The option would have been for him to resign and alert fans about what was going on.  Administration may have come sooner and liquidation might have followed. Had that occurred then over £3m in fans funds would have been permanently lost.   All's well that ends well, but that was one hell of a risk to take with other people's money, while continuing to take a salary from the club.  

It seems that the critical point pre-admin was getting the club to the end of season 2012/13 which thankfully we all managed to get to. Reading the book it seems to me like the club would have been liquidated without an admin phase had it fallen during the season. Hats off to Fiona Sinclair it seems inside the club and a guy called Barry Cole who Ian Murray talks highly of.

1 minute ago, Worthing Jambo said:

Maybe he thought it was better to be on the inside and not necessarily the right side.

As you say, risky, but would anyone else have done it, with the hassle and stress involved.

The worst part must have been that he was powerless to do anything about it apart from keep it stumbling along until an alternative was found.

I’m just glad there were people around who were prepared to do something to keep the club alive.

Waiting proved to be the right strategy. 

4 minutes ago, Worthing Jambo said:

Yep. That's pretty much the sum of it from Murray's book. A number of people internally who were working in the club's interests as opposed to UBIG/UKIO/VR. There is even a great story about some of the senior Liths trying to dissuade VR from one of his destructive decisions.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book , very informative . 
He didn’t quite go as far as he could’ve with the people who were either either for number one or simply a spanner in the works . 
He glossed over Ann  Budge’s Financial rewards and fine detail. It would’ve been interesting to read what interest rate the other investors were asking for other than “market rate for commercial loans” . 
all in all a good read , had a wee tear in my eye during the last couple of pages .

Good to see Gasman & Football First Get a mention .